Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

shovelbum posted:

Do those really get >20 hours of heavy WiFi use on battery? My gf swears hers does but that sounds high

12-13 is absolute best case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

I have a 13" with touchbar and if I could have done it again I'd go without the stupid TB

Go without the TB and they penalize you with only 2 USB C ports.

RMBPs are at the beige G3 point of their evolution at the moment IMHO. Next model needs to be more competitive and the 2015s are gonna dry up eventually

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pivo posted:

Used 2015 might be ok though. MagSafe!

I would not buy a new/refurb 2015 in TYOL 2018. 3 year old machine at this point.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Go without the TB and they penalize you with only 2 USB C ports.

That's fine with me. Power/monitor on one port and USB 3.0 hub on the other.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

One little gripe I have about USB-C is that it's possible to think you have the cord 'in' but it's not quite there. Pickup your laptop for the day and bloop it's dead guess what it wasn't charging.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You're supposed to get that stupid 'you plugged in power' sound but nothing really replaces the charge LED on the old MagSafes.

It's so stupid/elementary and used to be part of what put Mac laptops ahead of the pack, Apple is literally getting shittier for no other reason than that they're losing sight of the poo poo that makes them great.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

12-13 is absolute best case

Yeah, I've never heard anyone get anything close to 20 hours on any of the MB/MBP. Especially with a heavy workload going.

I can easily go a whole work day on mine unplugged. No video, maybe some shitposting here and youtube. But mostly teleconferences via Zoom and RDP for light load stuff and high CPU load with a couple VMs and occasionally PyCharm open. Also driving two monitors. All told probably 7ish hours or so with plenty left over (maybe 25% or so?).

That's on the 15" 2016 rMBP (purchased last April).

However, that's usually only once or twice a week at most when I'm in the office. I'm usually parked in my home office and plugged into power.

E: Also, I keep my display fairly dim (about 50-60% of the slider). I read that tip somewhere online and it makes a HUGE difference. The display is more energy efficient, however it's the brightest Apple has made.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 15, 2018

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
How are the lil tiny MacBooks anyway

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

shovelbum posted:

How are the lil tiny MacBooks anyway

Perfectly fine for casual user stuff, not complete dogshit for some professional tasks (like you could edit 4K video but it wouldn't be a wholly pleasant experience). Keyboard is rear end, though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The idea of fanless laptops is really cool though

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Bob Morales posted:

I would not buy a new/refurb 2015 in TYOL 2018. 3 year old machine at this point.

But isn't the alternative a Touchbar version? Am I wrong in thinking that all non-touch that are released are the 2015 model? I'm content with mine but my friend is looking to buy a 15" rMBP and if he doesn't buy that he'd have to wait until June right for a refresh

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Sad Panda posted:

But isn't the alternative a Touchbar version? Am I wrong in thinking that all non-touch that are released are the 2015 model? I'm content with mine but my friend is looking to buy a 15" rMBP and if he doesn't buy that he'd have to wait until June right for a refresh

No, non-TB models exist in 2016 and 2017 but they are the USB-C variants and only come in 13", 2 ports and a low power processor.

2015 still has MagSafe and regular assortment of IO, and you can buy a 15" high performance one with a dGPU if you want.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Generic Monk posted:

why would you use windows or linux if you aren't literally getting paid to use them

because apple has started making poo poo computers

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Pivo posted:

No, non-TB models exist in 2016 and 2017 but they are the USB-C variants and only come in 13", 2 ports and a low power processor.

2015 still has MagSafe and regular assortment of IO, and you can buy a 15" high performance one with a dGPU if you want.

Ah right, so it's the 15" part. Just wondering as his comment was about not buying a 2015 model and I was wondering if there was a better option than buying a 15" non-TB 2015.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

2017's are much faster than the 2015's

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Bob Morales posted:

2017's are much faster than the 2015's

What's the cause?

I ask because if you look at the Geekbench results, the mid 2015 and late 2016 model both use 2.5GHz CPUs and are about the same.

On the other hand, with OpenCL there's a big difference. A new and improved GPU?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

After mapping caps lock to escape and making the touch bar always display original function keys it’s not so bad. I don’t even notice it anymore. Plus you get TouchID.

Actually I wish I did the caps lock map earlier it’s better placement for vim.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Binary Badger posted:

It's so stupid/elementary and used to be part of what put Mac laptops ahead of the pack, Apple is literally getting shittier for no other reason than that they're losing sight of the poo poo that makes them great.

I agree. It seems like the designers are going a step too far with the minimalism. The result of this is machines that are less functional for everyday use than their older machines. There are cheap USB C cables out there that light up when providing power so I think Apple could have added a little LED indicator in the cable.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Don't buy cheap USB-C cables for charging though.

Consult the gold standard for USB-C cable reviews: https://plus.google.com/+BensonLeung

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Social Animal posted:

After mapping caps lock to escape and making the touch bar always display original function keys it’s not so bad. I don’t even notice it anymore. Plus you get TouchID.

Except they are super easy to trigger because you just brush them and its a keystroke, you don't have to actually press them

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Except they are super easy to trigger because you just brush them and its a keystroke, you don't have to actually press them

Ah yeah that does suck. Part of me is convinced that Apple will somehow enable force touch for those buttons in the future to prevent this.

Or maybe they will bite the bullet and get rid of the touchbar completely? When does Apple usually announce new MacBooks?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Social Animal posted:

When does Apple usually announce new MacBooks?
When they’re ready to. Sometimes WWDC in Summer, sometimes in the Fall. Rumors today are saying no major MBP refresh is planned for 2018, so probably another spec bump to the Touch Bar models.

I expect they’ll get try to get a few years out of this form factor.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Brand new mac owner (first mac ever), few short questions:

Visual Studio Code the best lightweight low resource code editor on MAC also?

Ulysses looks cool but not a fan of software as a service subscription model...anything else you guys reccomend or just using Pages / Word?

Thanks guys :D

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Empress Brosephine posted:

Visual Studio Code the best lightweight low resource code editor on MAC also?
I still prefer Sublime, but it's really a matter of taste (and which one has the plugins you want) between that, Atom, and VS Code.

Also I didn't know VS Code was considered "lightweight low resource" on any platform.

Ulysses looks cool but not a fan of software as a service subscription model...anything else you guys reccomend or just using Pages / Word?
I mean I'd start with what's free (Pages, Google Docs) and then explore alternatives if you find them restrictive.

edit: Also the software thread is over here for future reference.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 15, 2018

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh my bad apologies. Thanks for the help.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quick question again...do Macbook Pro's run kind of hot? I'm not doing anything intensive, just browsing web and it's running quite hot especially up near the touch bar :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Quick question again...do Macbook Pro's run kind of hot? I'm not doing anything intensive, just browsing web and it's running quite hot especially up near the touch bar :(
It's aluminum, so parts of the body tend to transfer heat more than a typical plastic laptop. Also it's above the Touch Bar which is an impossible to use surface of the laptop anyway, so who cares?

Also just a wild guess: are you using Chrome?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

My 2015 idles around 50-60 celcius on the CPU even after cleaning out all the fans. It'll easily hit 80 under load. There's not a lot of thermal mass inside the things. The Tj max of the CPU is 100c though (and it WILL hit that and throttle under a brutal synthetic load or rendering etc). Do your fans spin all the way down to near-silent at idle? If so, it's probably OK.

Chrome will make it run hotter than Safari too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I gave up using chrome on my MacBook years ago. It felt like it was going to melt the drat machine.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

If anyone is gutsy enough to load the new 10.13.3 beta, can you tell me if it fixes the SMB connection issues?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was using Safari, but my MacBook was freaking out trying to install High Sierra; it wouldn't do it, and that's when I noticed the heat the most and the graphics card sketching out. It's still a bit warm to the touch, but wasn't sure. Thanks for help all. :)

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Might be too obvious but are you resting the MacBook on your lap? The ventilation is right up by the touch bar, and it's very easy to block the vents and trap the hot air when you're MacBooking al-lapo, especially if you're using a pillow or blanket to prop it up.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah it was on just a desk, maybe some airflow issues. I think it might’ve just been the install of high Sierra going haywire. :/. Guess I need to invest in a time machine drive

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

When they’re ready to. Sometimes WWDC in Summer, sometimes in the Fall. Rumors today are saying no major MBP refresh is planned for 2018, so probably another spec bump to the Touch Bar models.

I expect they’ll get try to get a few years out of this form factor.

:smithicide: I hope that's not true. I'm not sure how much longer my mid-2012 15" MBP will hold out as I wait for Apple to release a non-TB 15".

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Binary Badger posted:

I'd wait for a new rMBP that uses the newfangled Intel i7s with the AMD GPUs or a 13-inch you can equip with a quad-core CPU.. current rMBPs are lovely for what you pay for even with Apple Tax

If I were to guess, I wouldn't expect those intel/radeon chips to make it into a 15" MBP. Apple seems to be on a "radeon pro" kick lately for the "pro" machines so consumer vega would be a branding regression in that regard.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How fast is the platter part of the new fusion drives? My understanding is that the 2TB+ ones have a 128 SSD, but the platter specs aren't listed anywhere.

Also, is it possible for Apple to put a Qi charger in the stand for the iMac? Like, physics-wise, can a Qi charger go into an aluminum stand like that, or would something prevent it?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
All the info I can find about the fusion drives is that they use 5400rpm drives. Thats checking the computers I have handy, they don't say specifically w/r/t the new 27 inch imac

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Luceo posted:

:smithicide: I hope that's not true. I'm not sure how much longer my mid-2012 15" MBP will hold out as I wait for Apple to release a non-TB 15".

They're not going to.

The touchbar 15" is cool and good.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Pivo posted:

My 2015 idles around 50-60 celcius on the CPU even after cleaning out all the fans. It'll easily hit 80 under load. There's not a lot of thermal mass inside the things. The Tj max of the CPU is 100c though (and it WILL hit that and throttle under a brutal synthetic load or rendering etc). Do your fans spin all the way down to near-silent at idle? If so, it's probably OK.

Chrome will make it run hotter than Safari too.

You might want to check that your cooling fan is working..

I noticed mine kept getting hot, but it didn't seem like the fan was really working. I popped the bottom plate off and discovered one of the tiny screws holding the fan to the heatsink and fell out and wedged itself into the fan blade.

Since fixing that I never go over 65.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

stevewm posted:

You might want to check that your cooling fan is working..

Yeah, they’re fine. I checked.