Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Do we know anything about pricing for the 2012 iMac fusion drives? I really wish they'd allow one to customize them now, even if they aren't going to be available for a while.

With that in mind, do we know when in November the 21" will be available? I'm going to wait for the 27" anyway, but being able to play with the pricing on the 21.5" would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Any thoughts about the pricing of the currently available refurb 27" iMacs on store.apple.com? They don't seem like a great deal, but I'm guessing/hoping they come down when the new ones are available next month, but I have no concept of when Apple adjusts these prices.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm looking at the iMac prices and Apple is essentially charging $250 for a 128gig SSD. And it's only available on the $1500 and up models. The cheapest Fusion drive iMac you can buy costs $1750.

Nobody asked for thinner desktops :(

Where are you seeing these?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Two questions about the new iMacs:
  • Does anyone know when we'll see both sizes at the Apple Stores?
  • I'm guessing there's no option for two hard drives in there. Is it safe to assume that we'll be able to add an aftermarket SSD like we can with the MBPs now?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
http://store.apple.com/us-hed It'll ask you what school by name, zip code, etc. I assume it confirms via requiring a .edu email address when you're all ready to order.

Edit: I've noticed the "Search for your school" doesn't always work on an iPad for whatever reason.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Is there a generally suggested SD card for MacBook Airs that sits fairly flush? I just want something for photo and music storage.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I have a dreaded "what Mac should I get?" question. I'm switching from using PCs for the last dozen years because I'm fully invested in the Apple ecosystem otherwise (iphone, ipad, appletv), my wife owns a Mac Book Air, and I'd like to get into some basic development in Swift. I'm debating between a MacBook and 13" rMBP.

I'll mostly use it at a desk. I have a Dell U2412M monitor which offers Displayport, VGA, and DVI-D connections, which I believe would be limited to VGA with the MacBook. I'll be doing some work in Windows, but I'm not sure if it'll be in Bootcamp or Parallels or VMware (I don't know the differences).And like I mentioned above, some starter level development work in Xcode. Lastly, I'm aware that going with a MBP probably means waiting a couple of months for the updates.

So, my questions: can I get by with a MacBook? Is 8 gigs of RAM enough? I'm not too worried about 256 gigs of SSD since we have a NAS in the house, but if there's other concerns about the lower storage space, I'd love to know more.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Thanks for the feedback and recommendations. I'm not sure I'll ever understand the keyboard anger (I've played with one at an Apple Store), but whatever.

How long does it tend to take for stuff to show up in the refurb area? If I have to wait a few months for the 2016 refresh Macbooks to get there, I may as well just wait to see what the MBP updates are.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Have there been any confirmations about the Razor Core or other eGPUs working with Macs? I'm guessing as long as they have USB-C it should just work?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I'm waiting for an update to buy a new rMBP as well. This article (http://www.extremetech.com/computing/233058-apples-stagnant-product-lines-mostly-reflect-the-state-of-the-computer-industry) is a response to that one in the Verge. I don't know if the details are all accurate (I assume they are), but it paints a pretty straight-forward picture: Apple has been slow to update because there's really no reason to move quickly to the newer chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Does anyone have experience using a non-4K monitor (let's say 1900x1200) with one of the late 2016 MacBook Pros? I'm wondering if MacOS handles scaling well when the laptop screen is Retina, but the external screen isn't. For reference, I'm coming from a Windows machine, and Windows (and Windows programs) have really random scaling behavior in this setup.