Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you're coming here to ask questions about the old Mac you found at a garage sale or your grandma's basement, check out Low End Mac. It's a great site with articles about older Macs and they even have profiles of older models.

And no, that old Mac isn't worth anything except scrap. G4/G5 models can be useful to people running audio production but even the G5's are slower than almost any Intel-based machine, suck a ton of power, and PowerPC OS support and software is basically non-existent.

Which Mac should I buy?

*will add later*

What are optibays and SSD's all about?

*later*

Who sells Macs cheaper than Apple?

Microcenter often sells the current model 13" MBP for $999, and MacMall discounts almost every model anywhere from $30-$100 of MSRP. They both also sell open-box items for further discounts!

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SourKraut posted:

Bah, that sucks. Well hopefully compatibility improves, as long-term I would like to simply throw a SSD into the MBP and have TRIM supported. :(
It's not a big deal...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

A lot, especially under load when Turbo Boost kicks in.

100% for the 13" and 150% faster for the 11", as far as Geekbench scores go.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

SO would the new base 13" air be able to handle xcode? Cause gently caress if I don't want to return my 13" MBP

We have developers on the 2010 13" Air that use Xcode as well as Ruby on Rails.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

2GB is fine, there are millions of C2D Macbooks out there. Are you programming or running VM's or other stuff that needs 4GB? If so, you probably didn't buy an 11" Air.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Apple has the previous model refurb 11" for $749

MacMall has the closeout 11" $879

http://www.macmall.com/n/Macbook-Air/macNavLinks-macNavLinks.221

Come on MacMall you can do better than that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

qbert posted:

Has anyone ever used macconnection.com and know how reputable they are? They're selling the new Airs for $50 off, charge no tax in California, and offer free shipping.

It seems like the best deal around at the moment, but I've never shopped there before.

They've been around forever. They used to offer an inkjet printer, RAM upgrade, Connectix Ram Doubler, and other crap for the same price as Apple retail*

*all free after rebate.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Apple has the previous model refurb 11" for $749

They also have the 2010 13" for $999

Sucks for anyone trying to sell theirs, makes it only worth about 899.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Wait, you guys use Safari and not Firefox or Chrome?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't have anything against it, I use FF on Windows/Linux so I figure why switch browsers?

One thing I noticed with Safari is that I'll leave a single instance open, viewing the traffic graph in m0n0wall (which is basically just an SVG file), and it must have a massive memory leak because overnight it will bloat to like 2GB.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I plan to buy a new Mac Mini as it seems to be the perfect HTPC. What would you guys recommend as external storage? USB 2.0 hard drives are portable but slow, and I guess I would benefit from either the Firewire 800 or Thunderbolt interface (is there even such a thing as a Thunderbolt hard drive?) - any particular recommendations?

I'd wait if you can until Thunderbolt drives come out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Doc Faustus posted:

Anti-glare vs. Regular screens: It's no big secret that the MPB screens are basically mirrors. Is the Anti-glare screen just a "regular" laptop screen, then, or does it still have the glass front? I like the glass just for the ease in keeping it clean (I assume), but the glare is pretty severe. There's no local fruitstand where I can see them side-by-side, sadly.

The only time I don't like glossy screens is when I'm sitting by a window.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

maduin posted:

I'd actually bet there is no 13" MBP in the next refresh.

No way. Too much margin for Apple in commodity HD and RAM.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I mean if you're looking for something that size any cheap netbook should be able to handle whatever you wanted. The 11" MBA is overpowered/priced for its intended use IMO.

The 11" is way, way more powerful than a regular netbook. The screen resolution is very, very low though. It's like chopping the bottom inch of screen off of a 13" MBP.

The bonus is that the keyboard is the same size, which is a huge fault of most netbooks (save the Thinkpads).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mr Chips posted:

Carrying around an extra piece of hardware that's slower than built in GbE is pretty regressive. I've got quite a few MBP users who don't use external monitors, so having to purchase a thunderbolt cable and docking station just to get GbE seems equally retarded, given how cheap ethernet connectivity is right now (and 'just use wireless' isn't going to work as well for 50% of my staff)

There's the gig aftermarket adapter.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

movax posted:

What interface does it use? USB 2.0 and FW800 are both (theoretically) slower than Gigabit Ethernet, and the Airs of course do not sport ExpressCard slots. Or is there a Thunderbolt GigE adapter that costs like $150 out already?

USB 2.0

It's not going to reach full speeds of gig e but not all networks will anyway. It's still faster than the 100mb version.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

echobucket posted:

I just thought of something.. If we get "retina" displays on Macs, that's going to make boot camping very difficult as Windows won't know anything about retina display modes and will treat it like a regular very high display. We'll need a magnifying glass to read the text!

I don't think people will care that much, and I'm sure you'll be able to just scale the video down to something more usable.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

flyboi posted:

20 years ago I was running 800x600 on a 13". I wouldn't really say that every 10 years resolution quadruples because I distinctly remember upgrading to a 1600x1200 19" display in 2002 which compared to other displays aside from the iMac 27" there isn't a quadruple change here. Also the 27" is almost double the screen size of a 19".

They're just going to get shorter and wider. So in 2024 you'll be using something like 2560x800

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Thunderbolt is going to replace FW and ethernet on all Apple portables at the next refresh, and the optical drive will go as well. The 13" Pro goes away while the 15" and 17" become airs. Book it.

That's the rumor today.

I think that if I bought another MacBook Pro it would be the 15", just because of the extra screen space. But 1400x900 isn't going to cut it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

A bunch of 2010 13" Airs and some 2009 13" MBP's hit the for sale forums in the past week. Priced at $1,000+ and $800+ respectively. That's what refurbs from Apple of the same models go for :confused: One of the guys here is including a keyboard and trackpad at least.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I hope in the next MBA iteration they can reduce the huge bezel around the screens because it makes it look silly. It would force them to reduce the keyboard size though, dang.

I'm convinced they could jam a 14.1" in the 13" Pro. DOOO IIITTT

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

On Unicornback posted:

Does anybody use a Mini for their home server? I am thinking about making the leap, but the whole external storage thing is throwing me off a bit. I suppose I could go the hackintosh route so I could build in a more traditional form factor, but I would hate for it to be unstable or a pain to keep updated.

Edit: not new to Apples, all of our laptops/phones are Apple. My current home server is running Win7 because I could build out the hardware I wanted but I'm tired of dealing with Windows even as a server OS.

We use one for a server at work. Just sits in our rack with our other stuff. It's connected to external HD that someone takes home every other day, it works fine. We have a mix of Windows and Macs that use it (around 20 people).

fleshweasel posted:

i mean a lot of the people selling their stuff in SA mart are bundling expensive software and have added aftermarket RAM and HDDs to their Macs so really if you take a look people aren't making bad deals at all. Plus what difference does it make to you if Macs retain a lot of value? That's just the way it is.

Well the one guy has a keyboard+trackpad so that's better. Plus he's willing to take $100 less if you don't want the stuff.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

echobucket posted:

Pet peeve.. I'm not sure this how this happened, but "resolution" has come to mean "The number of pixels on the screen", regardless of how tightly the pixels are packed. Which isn't resolution, it's just the number of pixels on the display. PPI is resolution.

Resolution has always meant number of physical pixels, not density, when referring to computer displays.

On the other hand, when you're talking scanners or printers, the word 'resolution' has always meant DPI. Your 300dpi laser printer was never known for being able to do 3300x2550

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

echobucket posted:

And I'm arguing it's been wrong for a VERY LONG TIME. Since the late 80's probably.

Whether it's wrong or right, that's what it has always meant.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

From Slickdeals: NewEgg has the 2x4GB SODIMM kit for $39.99, free shipping with a free Kingston 4GB flash drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231295&cm_sp=ProductSpotlight-_-20-231-295-_-07272011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

This fits in the MBP yes? If so thank you very much!

echobucket posted:

Oh geezus, my iMac takes 1066 DDR3 and that's still $54.99. Can I put 1333 DDR3 in my iMac and have it still work at the slower speed or will it cause me problems?

I'm not 100% sure, but from looking at NewEgg reviews, MacRumors, and Apple's support forums this won't work in the C2D Macs :(

Mine are all i3 or i5 :smug:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

echobucket posted:

No, I have a late 2009 27" iMac with a quad core i5.

To clarify more.. I currently have the stock 4GB (2x2GB) 1066 DDR3 ram + some g.skill 8GB (2x4GB) 1066 DDR ram in it. I want to replace the stock ram with the g.skill that's on sale, bringing me to 16GB of ram. I don't mind if the ram underclocks to 1066, I just want to know if the iMac will actually underclock it properly.

Not sure, I'd google around. There's the issue of it recognizing that much ram, plus the issue of it being compatible with memory of that speed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

echobucket posted:

No, I have a late 2009 27" iMac with a quad core i5.

To clarify more.. I currently have the stock 4GB (2x2GB) 1066 DDR3 ram + some g.skill 8GB (2x4GB) 1066 DDR ram in it. I want to replace the stock ram with the g.skill that's on sale, bringing me to 16GB of ram. I don't mind if the ram underclocks to 1066, I just want to know if the iMac will actually underclock it properly.

It works for this guy in his MBP

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1190228

I'd just buy it and if it doesn't work, send it back.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Oxford Comma posted:

So I am turning an older G4 into a MP3 box to listen to music while I'm in the backyard. It doesn't have a wireless card in it, and I'm looking for suggestions for one. I'd like it to be an N-capable card because I literally can't wait 30 seconds for MP3s to transfer over.

Anyone have suggestions for a PCI card compatible with this machine?

Aren't mp3's streamed?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Oxford Comma posted:

I was being facetious.

LEM has a few listed, but it's from 2009 so nothing is wireless-N

http://lowendmac.com/macdan/md09/mac-wifi-desktop.htm

OWC has this one:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/MXP2802NU2C/

And there's list of drivers for Ralink chips (think $9.99 at Monoprice or Newegg)

http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Oxford Comma posted:

Thanks. I'm guessing that just ordering a random PCI card from NewEgg probably won't work?

You'd have to make sure there's a driver for that chipset for PowerPC Mac OS. I'm not sure if the cards have a Mac-specific ROM like video cards do.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Oxford Comma posted:

When I'm shopping for Broadcom-based cards, how can I tell if they use the Broadcom chipset?

Actually, at this point I'd take a G-card, as well. I thought this G4 had a B card in it, but it has nothing wireless. :(

Google the model # of the card if the resellers website doesn't have it on the info/details page.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm considering getting a high end stock iMac 27" from Best Buy today. Is the 4GB ram enough for WoW + iTunes? That's my only worry.

If not, you can get a 8GB upgrade (which would take your iMac to 12GB) for $39.99 with a free 4G USB drive and free shipping from NewEgg

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, the primary reason I'm concerned is just due to what some reviewers (such as that Anand quote) commented on regarding high-resolution displays and a GPU with dedicated vRAM being desirable.

I do plan on upping the memory to 8GB right away though, and apparently increasing the memory to 8GB also bumps up the allocated shared RAM to the HD3000 from 384 to 512 MB. Not much, but every little bit helps. :D

If you're referring to the G.Skill deal, I think it's dead now (as it no longer shows the free 4GB flash drive, and now shows $54.99 for the RAM).

A similar deal will be around before you know it. Besides, even at regular price a 4GB chip is $23.99 and a 2GB chip is $14.99

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Aren't the new iMac's fairly hard to upgrade?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TheState posted:

Is Mac Pro RAM so much more expensive than iMac and MacBook RAM because of the fins? I was trying to find RAM for my 2008 Mac Pro, and 4 GB sets me back like $120 or something.

It's ECC, basically 'server RAM'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ndrake posted:

Awesome, thanks.

So, anyone think I'd be gaining anything by increasing the hard drive speed? I bet more RAM would be more useful.

Open up activity monitor and see if you're even using all the RAM you have now. I'd just spend another $100 and get an SSD, but a WD Black would be a noticeable improvement.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

How much time do 1st year architecture students spend in AutoCAD anyway?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What are the specs for the camera on the 11inch Air? I can't find the details anywhere.

640 x 480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

First, where do I learn to use OSX? I'm very familiar with Windows PCs and somewhat familiar with various Linuxes, but I'm a total mac newbie. I don't need a handholding step by step guide, but something to teach me the basics would be a good idea, I reckon.