Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I have a new MBP, the hinge seems to "jam" and makes a really loud cracking/snapping noise when moved and the entire computer vibrates. It seems like the problem is preety common and some people suggested that they were replacing the hinge due to a major defect. Have any goons experienced this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

SERIOUS posted:

Roosevelt Field Mall, Long Island New York. (I'm in Queens, and there's no Apple Store in Queens that I know of, and I really diidn't feel like dragging an iMac on the subway to Manhattan.)

The mall stores are always terrible, I need to take mine in for a defective hinge and I _need_ my laptop for work, otherwise I'm stuck with an old PowerBook. I have a choice between Roosevelt Field and Walt Whitman, I guess I'll try my luck at the Whitman store.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I've heard so many horror stories about MBP GPUs and heat death that I was adverse to buying one until they switched to ATI. I actually have a dead 8600M sitting on my desk right now, free gift from an unhappy friend.

Edit: I'm aware of the recall and still looking into it. It was serviced by some college warranty program.

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 10, 2012

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Shmoogy posted:

Rumors are claiming that production on slimmer 13 and 15 inch MBPs has begun and they'll be out soonish?

Intel already got Apple the new ivy bridge things for production.

Would not mind at all if they ditched the spinning platters completely and the obsolete plastic disk laser physical media thing too.

Then they should get rid of the "air" completely and just make "the MacBook".

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 16, 2012

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Re: the backup Mac discussion, my MacBook Pro died a week ago (discrete video still not built properly as of early 2011), and it being my only computer, I bought a Mac Mini on the spot to use temporarily. I got the MBP back and I can't return the Mini because the cord won't fit back in the box. Is it a sign? Or just annoying eco-friendly packaging?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

thegasman2000 posted:

So the Air replaced the Macbook. Then they nerf the Macbook Pro and make that the new Macbook... This makes no sense. I just wanted a pro with no DVD SSD as standard and a retina display. or at least matching the Air's screen.

If they removed all spinning platter drives and added embedded RAM/SSD it would basically be an Air. I'm sure if they added 15 and 17-inch versions of the Air there's be enough room for the i7, discrete graphics, and a bigger battery to compensate thanks to the larger size, even if it is thinner then the old MBP.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I guess the comedy option is some manner of ultrabook running Linux, but they all get such lousy reviews.

I hate to break it to you, but...

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

TheDon01 posted:

So I just found a MacBook Pro in the middle of the street when I was riding home from work today. Rode by it and was like "Is that what I think it is?!" turned around and picked it up. Sure enough, MacBook Pro A1286 Unibody.

Holy poo poo, that's tragic.

I'd hook it up to an external display and try to figure out who it belongs to...

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Going by that avatar, you might want to consider listing a kidney as well.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

a bad poster yall posted:

Is there anything that makes the Apple Thunderbolt display so much better than its rivals? I can't really afford one and I'm looking at a 24" non Apple display instead for (hopefully around 200) but I can't really understand why the Apple one is ~800..

The price is similar to other name-brand 2560x1440/27" displays...

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Download and install the classic Airport utility:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1482?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Make sure 'Use wide channels' is enabled, also, try setting to 5GHz only (old Macs and all iPhones won't work if you do this).

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Galg posted:

Use wide channels was already checked, and it wasn't an option for me to make the network 802.11n only.

Oh well, maybe it was not meant to be.

For comparison, this is what I get out of my Airport Extreme (second generation, 5 years old now) connected to my early 2011 MBP:

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
A new motherboard in my Macbook Pro - dropped it off at 3pm new years eve, got a call at 1am next day that it was ready. That's not a typical experience (24 hour Apple stores aren't very common and the parts sometimes aren't available on-site) but it's crazy enough to be worth mentioning. They don't mess around.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
My TB display does that, but it's only occasional, like once a day occasional.

If it only happens while watching HSN it might be the display trying to kill itself.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

~Coxy posted:

The 12" PB (RIP) had a discrete GPU as well so it's not beyond the realm of reason for Apple to fit a third chip into a small laptop.

I think everything was "discrete" back then... and they weren't doing any favors with the Go5200 in the 12" PB, that card was terrible even in 2003, by 2006 it was a running joke, definitely worse off at the time then any Intel HD-equipped Mac ever was/is. IIRC it just barely eked by in UT2004 and WoW, and both Quake 4 and Civ 4 were unplayable on any settings.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

MrBond posted:

The FX5000 series was I think, by far, the worst nvidia graphics generation ever, desktop or mobile.

I had an FX5200 in my desktop that fried during a video game binge, but I don't think it was that bad until then. The underclocked mobile version (complete with gimped memory, nice touch for a $1500 laptop) was terrible though.

They really need to get over it and just start building Cinema Displays with graphics cards built in, powered by Thunderbolt. I'd dump my MBP for an Air and buy that poo poo in a second if it ever came true.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

NESguerilla posted:

It's still under warranty but they always ask me to call back again before they have to "escalate" it. It's broken. It was broken the day i got it.

The problem has Give Up written all over it - it's a computer brought to you by the same people who invented the right way to hold a cell phone. Even if they care about the problem (unlikely), the chain of responsibility goes through a hundred different contractors, companies, oceans, language barriers, if it makes it through all that (unlikely), the chain ends at one of the two people in the entire world that actually sit down and write those drivers, and that dude will, without a doubt, blame the other dude.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
You can also just replace the wireless card, too. Buy a Broadcom
card, you can get a stock-equivalent part on eBay for like $12.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

TUSR posted:

I read that iFixit said it will cost ~500$ to replace the batteries.

Apple charges $200 (materials and labor) for a new battery. The $500 number is an unjustified guess from a company that sells laptop parts. And just another crazy conspiracy - they might be unhappy about these changes because it threatens their business of selling lovely nobrand batteries to penny-pinching hobbyists who think it's the same thing because The Specs and Crapple Is Out to Rip Us Off.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Kalix posted:

I almost pulled the trigger on an rMBP, but I'm going to try to hold off on purchasing until Haswell -- perhaps Retina will have permeated other models by then.

The retina has been out for two months, and Haswell isn't due until March-June. If you're threshold for "might as well just wait" is about a year, and you're looking to buy an Apple laptop, I have some bad news for you...

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Replaced my five year old Airport Extreme (which worked perfectly) with a new 2TB Time Capsule about a month ago, but the thing likes to reboot itself every so often for some reason, usually when accessing the NAS from my MacBook for a file transfer or something. Anyone else had this issue? I think it's a firmware issue with 7.6.1, if that's the case I'm just gonna return it to the store and buy something else.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

If I had tons of money to burn I'd be all over this, no shame.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
The Apple store in that particular suburban mall moved to the other side because of renovations, so you'd be better off with the California Pizza Kitchen entrance.

I once got an employee at a particular glass cube to stand outside with a cinema display for five minutes while I pulled my rental car around the block to pick it up.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
What does 'Service Battery' mean on OS X? This is on my 16 month old MBP. Does it need a replacement? Will I have to pay for it if it's under warranty? Last I checked (two days ago) it holds a 2-3 hour charge fine.

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 26, 2012

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I guess what I'm asking is, will the Apple store will put a new one in under warranty if I'm getting that message on a year and a half old laptop, or does Apple consider those wear components not covered under warranty?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Just dump it on eBay and run. Unless Apple offers you a refurb as a replacement or something. Don't bother with the memory.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I really wish I could, like, install Crashplan on my Time Capsule and have automated backups of the internal drive to the cloud. Only useful for people who actually use the internal drive for storage, which is nobody but me, so it probably won't happen :smithcloud:

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Lexicon posted:

How are the transfer speeds when you access the Time Capsule for storage? Good enough to watch a movie?

Yeah definitely good enough for video. I just benchmarked mine and got 17.3MB/s write, 23.1MB/s read, wifi performance is probably the bottleneck. Any operation that involves a bunch of small files tends to choke though. So like, there's big delays listing and loading previews of directories with a bunch of individual files. Because Finder is poo poo and sucks at handling delays like that it can get annoying.

RE: Using a cloud backup service with the network share, it works (with Crashplan) but it's just slow as hell and doesn't work right with my sometimes-on always-moving MacBook.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

rsjr posted:

The guy at the store tried to talk me out of it, saying this was normal and expected from an IPS display, kind of funny.

That's really disappointing.

Have they managed to resolve the IPS issues by now at least?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Any way to get a brand new OEM Apple battery for a MacBook Pro? I'd rather not buy a crappy third party one, but I don't want to pay Apple to install a new one either.

Edit: for an early 2011 (internal, non user-replacable).

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 21, 2013

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

unpurposed posted:

I won't speak to any comparisons between the iPad and rMBP internals, but from my time with the laptop, it really felt like a software issue to me. Chrome's scrolling performance was so choppy that I found it really distracting. Switching to a nightly build, all the choppiness disappeared and it felt incredibly smooth. I might venture a guess that OSX just isn't completely up to the task of handling the rMBP HiDPI mode yet.

So if using a different web browser fixed the problem, why are you returning the computer? Problems with other applications?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
You can buy a current-gen refurbished Air for $850. Also, 10.8 runs like poo poo with only 2GB.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I was thinking about a loaded 27" iMac to replace my MBP (which hasn't left my desk in months) but estimated delivery is March 21st, which is crazy. I can't buy it in-store either because I want a specific configuration.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
B&H has the 680MX models on backorder too, as does everyone else. So I don't have a specific reason to order from B&H unless I want to support the most racist retailer or something.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
You can buy an Air and put Windows on it if that's what you want. Then at least you're making half a good decision and like, that's alright I guess.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Binary Badger posted:

Apple is pretty serious about this; they tell you in their training that you MUST seek immediate medical assistance if you get any glass shards in your eyes, and to use gloves and goggles when handling the display glass. They repeatedly mention that they don't use tempered glass, either, so it does have the potential to shatter into shards if you're being a dick about it.

Do you work for Apple? What's the 'official' method for disassembling Macs/iPads with a glued-on front panel? Is there seriously a guy in every store who sits in the back and does the procedure, risking life and limb in the process?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
So you're returning it cause the fan turns on sometimes and it crashed once?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Upgrade it to 6GB, upgrade to Mountain Lion, be sure to get a non-poo poo SSD, and you'll have a whole new computer.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Have you considered just buying a desktop instead of gutting a poor laptop to achieve whatever insane goal you have in mind?

Edit: Less harsh. Apple products getting harmed throws me into a blind rage.

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
A while ago a friend gave me a dead HDD out of a MBP to try and recover, I couldn't get any data off of it and he never asked for it back. Years later he wants the drive back, but I lost track of it. I have two dead laptop drives that could potentially be his (a 500GB Seagate Momentus, and a 160GB WD Scorpio), both aren't Apple branded, and I recall pulling a drive out of my old PowerBook that had an Apple logo on it so I was under the impression that Apple branded all their HDDs. Do all Apple HDDs have Apple logos on them? Any way I can figure out which drive came out of a MacBook? I'm 90% sure it's the WD Scorpio but supposedly he's gonna spend thousands on a professional recovery service so...