Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Crush posted:

I thought this, but then it occurred to me that users might be swapping batteries in and out quite a bit for a product like that.

No reason they can't put a battery in it and give it a dock / magsafe type cord.

Then again, perhaps steve himself will hire me a supermodel to blow me whenever I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Jolan posted:

Let me rephrase: why do people pay a ton just to have a computer that boots up a little bit faster? Are SSD's really that revolutionary?

Yes. Have you used one? For everyday use I can't think of something I've been happier with computer-wise. Programs open super fast, no waiting around on copying things unless it's a fairly large file, etc. Combine that with a snappy processor and the benefits are even greater.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Apple is really dropping the ball with Macbook Air supplies. I sold my MBA weeks ago with hopes of picking up the new 13 inch model and they still haven't refreshed it at BB. Sounds like other non-Apple retailers are either sold out or are jacking the price up to above-reasonable prices.

I can't push myself to just pick up a 13inch pro either. Anyone know of any news that I haven't seen on limited supplies?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

What are these decent laptops? They pretty much pale in comparison of the MBA design IMO. A lot of them are more expensive than the Mac too.

I don't think putting a bunch of time into development of a good, thin and powerful laptop is in line with anything the mainstream PC laptop manufacturers focus on.

I recently took a look at various laptops around and it seems like the goal is to just spew out as many laptops as they can with the cheapest material possible. Some of the trackpad designs I've seen are just atrocious. Why the gently caress would anyone want a trackpad that is rippled with texturing on it?

I know we pay more for the nice design of the MacBooks and such but I really don't know if many of the people looking for bottom of the barrel laptops will switch over to buy a sexy ultra book. I feel like the reason the MBA's sell so well are good specs and great form factor which the windows versions most likely will lack.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Sulk posted:

To be fair, the Air's battery life (at least the last iteration) was never really that fantastic. Everyday use always yielded me about 3-4 hours at most. I wouldn't complain too much because the form factor is wonderful, but it could be better on the whole. So my boss tells me, his (current model) 13" Air's battery life isn't too great, either.

My battery life was awful for weeks before I realized adobe update manager was running and taking up a ton of activity. I quit that and my battery life went back up to the 6+ hours on the 13in. I get a pretty good 5 out of the 11 inch i5 MBA without watching video.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

jubles posted:

My concern is that it was used by someone else (for a significant amount of time) before being returned. I don't want to pay the full price for a new computer if the computer isn't new. 13 cycles is like 2 months of use.

For who? I charge mine every day so that's 2 weeks of use. 13 cycles isn't going to affect things but if they sold you a used computer somehow I'd complain..

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Honestly it'll probably even out. Opening programs and general usage on the Air are so much faster than the pro that it's unfair. The pro might win out in actual processor ability and such but if you aren't doing crazy intense calculations matlab is going to run just fine on the air, especially with the new i5's and 4gb's of ram. The cd drive is a moot point at this step and most everywhere has good wireless these days so ethernet isn't really a missed feature and can be added with a dongle.

I think once you use an air for a while the pro will seem incredibly bulky as well. At least it does to me. The airs make the 13in pro feel like the old plastic MacBooks. I tried one in store a few weeks ago and it beach balled on some programs opening and generally took a while compared to the air. It's really true when people say that SSD's spoil you.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I would've added that in but he already said he's stretching his budget. If you're going to dump in a SSD and ram you're looking at probably 150 at least for a reasonable SSD and maybe 50 - 80 dollars for ram (I'd guess closer to 50 but I'm out of the loop on purchasing that). Not to mention buying an enclosure if he plans on doing away with the optibay. With shipping and such you're looking at probably 225 bucks or more depending on RAM / SSD choice plus 100 for an optibay (or less for the ebay type alternatives). It's probably easier then to just get the air which isn't 225 (or 325+) dollars more expensive.

It's definitely true that once you upgrade the 13in pro with a SSD and RAM it's a pretty sweet rear end machine though and if he doesn't mind the added bulk and extra work it's the way to go for pure power.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

1997 posted:

It's not really typical but I've definitely seen a few goons order from the refurb store that had similar things happen (either more RAM or bigger HD).

Is this from previous users sending back in upgraded machines for repair? It'd be pretty crazy if the store workers gave you a new machine, transferred your HD, and added in the amount of ram you had before.

Surely that can't be how things work right?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

There are some new 27in iMacs on the refurb store for ~1400, I'd try starting at 1200-1250ish and see if someone bites. The new 21in's have the i5 as well now and can be had for ~1100 so add in a bit of a premium for the screen upgrade and see what happens.

Mac resale prices are always pretty varied from what I've seen. Some people get lucky and sell their 5 year old macbook for almost original MSRP somehow and then there are people selling brand new pro's for half msrp. I'd suggest starting high and moving a bit on the price to get people to buy.

Then again maybe Europe is way different with sales and I'm way off base. I'm sure someone else will chime in soon.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Did the multitouch trackpad become most sensitive with lion or something? I find myself messing with my own scrolling a lot lately because I've rested the base of my thumb in the corner.

Feels like it to me. Especially in Safari, they changed page back to 2 finger swipe and it causes me to accidentally go back pretty often when just scrolling around. They also seemed to have removed the reload page feature when you click back that used to be there for me in SL. Pretty loving annoying to accidentally go back a page and get stuck in this loop of the page needing refreshing.

Then there's the drat auto-refresh that's also hosed me over when working on projects. I wish I didn't dislike Firefox and Chrome on OSX so much :/

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

illcendiary posted:

Haha, it was free. Freaking Apple.

Was it you or her that went in? If anything ever happens to mine I'm finding the most attractive friend I can get and sending her in there to fluster some poor genius into giving me a new laptop.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

It's probably not worth all that money. As it stands the i5 + SSD is going to be like loving magic lightning compared to that old of a laptop.

EDIT - I would recommend the 4GB upgrade though. Gonna be necessary if you're doing VM work.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 29, 2011

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Chainclaw posted:

I figured we were probably missing something like this, thanks! I'll try this next time the Macbook is hooked up to the TV.

Option-clicking on the volume icon is the quick way not to fumble with things like that - helpful for presentations and things where you don't wanna be fumbling through menus if you need sound or something.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

The late 2010 11-inch MBA is $699 on the refurb store, and I'm thinking of grabbing one.

I'll be using this almost entirely for writing, with a bit of very light photo editing - mostly just resizing and cropping stuff to accompany articles. I don't care about the lack of a backlit keyboard.

In my case, does it seem like there would be a big enough difference in the processing power to warrant the more expensive, newer Core i5 model? I'd imagine that my relatively small applications would launch quickly thanks to the SSD, but I don't know how much a processor would play into that.

For 699 the old one is gonna do great. It's not worth 500 bucks for the processor bump. It'll have zero problems running everyday apps at lightning speed.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

To be fair I'm pretty sure Civ V is awful on every mac pretty much isn't it?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

I cannot describe just how much I love my new Air. This is the perfect machine. I can't believe it's a refurbished model too.

One question: why do I need the AC power cord? Is it only meant to extend the charger's range? :confused:

Yes. It's so you can either use the short cord if you're near an outlet or extend it if you need to. loving awesome addition to an already fantastic power supply. The magsafe itself is a godsend.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

During the hotel room scene they use a Gen 1. You can tell by the hinge - the first gen ones didn't have the black cover that the new ones do.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

It looked like one of the black speck cases but maybe with the Apple cut out of it. I'm not entirely sure but I do know that the movie was a huuuuge apple promotional.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Rabid Snake posted:

My 2011 MBA 13" started to creak when moving the laptop around. It's not the hinge, but the chassis itself. Anyone else have this problem? I feel like it's too small of a problem to bring it into an Apple Store.

My 13in did that as well for a while. It seemed to go away after while. It's just the bottom panel shifting around I believe. It's a popping kind of creak right?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Same bezel size basically. No idea on the text issue - how fast are you scrolling?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Don't they all? Except Airs obviously.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Wait, why would the laptop slow down when plugged in, regardless of whether the battery is installed?

Don't ask me. It only happens with the battery out apparently. I haven't owned a non-Air macbook so I can't comment any further but I definitely remember that the macbook's go into gimp mode in that configuration. Or at least used to.

EDIT - Old article but it was one of the top hits on google when I just looked

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-macbook-pro-battery-benchmarks,6643.html

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

And then what? Drag it back up there AGAIN? I mean I don't really have a resolution in mind that doesn't involve me trucking the drat thing back up there, and I've got no desire to do that. I think at this point I am just going to cut my losses. I wanted to put an SSD in here anyway, so I guess I will just order a new optical drive while I am at it and just swap them both myself.

I specifically told the genius that checked it in that it had Lion on it when she asked. She was probably too busy cracking the lamest jokes to note it properly. What's weird is that when I picked it up, the guy had a grey snow leopard disc and was like "uhhh is this yours?" I knew for a fact it wasn't because the last thing I did before I took it in was boot it with the mouse button down to eject a disc I knew was in the drive. The he was sort of confused and was like HURR I AM SURE I PUT LION ON IT.

No matter what happens, I am done with that particular Apple store, at least I have another one to pick from. I would complain, and I did outline this situation in the survey, but like I said, I have no idea what I want them to do about it. I am sick of lugging this thing around.

Don't get screwed over due to laziness in taking a computer in to the store. It's not that difficult. You might as well have it resolved before it's too late.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

AFAIK it will just take longer and shouldn't hurt a thing.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Maybe we should just start a "poo poo that we really want but in no way will apple do it until it's old technology" list now since it's almost update time again?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

You're free to swap out the hard drive, optical drive and the ram on your MBP currently though?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I thought about selling my Air but thanks to Apple lowering the price of the new one, and prices at the refurb store...ugh

Best Buy hosed me by dropping the price of the 11in 4GB model way down to 1099. So much for resale now... I want a 13in model again pretty bad but I don't know if I want to eat a ~400 dollar loss. Maybe I can find a cheap sandy bridge 13. 8gb ram was a tempting offer though and I'd probably keep the thing for a few years due to that...

gently caress me I didn't even look at that pic but 929 now for the last gen 13. God drat Apple.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

mediaphage posted:

Normally I despise Safari, but I've been running the beta on Lion (on the rMBP) and I think it's actually good enough, finally, that I don't immediately jump to Chrome to do everything. I do still have the Chrome dev channel installed (at least until the Retina awareness hits beta or stable) just in case I need it though.

What don't you like about Safari? I've noticed a lot of people don't use it and I'm curious as to why. I like how simple it is without being clunky. I have noticed that if left unattended it seems to grow out of control as far as memory usage though. I typically leave a lot of pdf articles up in tabs and over time it will really eat the hell out of my memory.

I was never a fan of chrome but it seems to be the browser of choice these days for most of you users. Is it just that much more compact?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Somehow I've always had Adobe Reader on my Airs and just used it for all PDF opening. Does Preview take less memory to open a lot of PDF's? I usually have 5-10+ open - some from the internet and such that end up cluttering up my Mission Control screen with some kind of crazy windows that I can't access. I think it creates a new one for each PDF opened from a webpage. This is a software question but maybe you guys can give me a quick answer while we're on the subject.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I will admit I laughed at the big reveal. What is that thing in actuality?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Bring a charger. Other than that, I have no complaints. If this thing got 7 hour battery life I don't see how it could get more perfect.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Maybe you can add RAM, you just have to pop the glass off first.

Isn't the glass on the new macs way harder to remove than the last gen stuff?

EDIT - I take that back as I haven't actually seen a teardown of the new ones yet, I must have been thinking of the last gen teardown coupled with how the new screen layout is. Either way it looks more challenging than before.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 28, 2012

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

They were called Nifty drives or something and had a kickstarter I think. I dunno if they made it though. I personally use Dropbox (you can get up to some pretty high levels of storage.. I have 18GB on my account now) and I also use SpiderOak for another 8GB or so. I think I'm only at ~50% usage on my 128GB air as it is... but I use Spotify to just stream music instead of downloading and storing it. I also have a 32GB USB drive I got pretty cheap from Patriot.

Online storage and some external USB storage/HD's should take care of all the poo poo you need nowadays if you don't mind adapting a little bit. I know some people like to have everything they own on their computer for easy access but the newer SSD computers are really cloud-friendly if you don't mind doing a little legwork.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Why would they go and put a retina display in the air and make it a "better" retina pro than the retina pro is?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Heisenberg1276 posted:

This isn't right. Those wires wear so quickly. Shoddily made stuff.

I take very good care of mine and it's still pretty dirty looking and has a permanent angle near the L connector. I can't say enough about how awesome the magsafe connector is but the cord itself could be better I guess. I don't think they're willing to make sacrifices to the form of it honestly. I'm dreading my next laptop having the T style connector. The L is clearly superior.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I can't wait for 4K speakers, glasses, and shoes.

And most importantly, the 4K flamethrower. Kids love it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Legdiian posted:

I made it about 12 seconds into that video before saying "gently caress that" out loud.

I thought you were just being extreme and making this out to be bigger than it is. Then I clicked on the video, made it 12 seconds in, and ALSO said "gently caress that" out loud.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

MrBond posted:

Wait what?

http://gothamist.com/2007/10/17/bh_settles_disc.php

Looks like they got caught paying hispanic workers less than everyone else in the warehouses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

NOTinuyasha posted:

Do you work for Apple? What's the 'official' method for disassembling Macs/iPads with a glued-on front panel? Is there seriously a guy in every store who sits in the back and does the procedure, risking life and limb in the process?

I'd guess the stress level is way lower when you know you have a spare and you have all the right tools. I think what makes it freaky is taking your own fragile 2000 dollar computer into your own hands with a random guitar pick and slicing out the paper thin screen from its case.

I think we're all kind of hyping it up and it's not that bad when you really do it, but it's still freaky to watch.