Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Does anyone have any gaming experience with the 27" iMac with the core i5 processor and the 2gb graphics card? I'm thinking of getting back into games when I start a more quiet job, and I'm torn between heavily upgrading my old rig or going for that iMac with a Windows dual boot. So how does that iMac perform game-wise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I bought a Belkin F5L049ea Home Base a bit ago, a wireless USB hub basically, but I just found out that it not only doesn't support loading NTFS drives in MacOSX, it also seems to work on Rosetta so it'll be useless when I upgrade to Lion. Is there a similar device around that works reliably with MacOSX and can handle NTFS drives without a problem?

Edit: additional question: is it really worth dropping ~600 euro on a 256gb SSD in addition to the 1tb HD when buying a new iMac?

Jolan fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 17, 2011

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

japtor posted:

Is it for USB in general or just HDs? For the latter there's boxes that turn drives into a NAS basically, although I don't know enough about them to suggest any in particular, and NTFS might be a problem for all I know. If they do work you'll pretty much connect to it in the Finder like any other networked drive. If you have a Windows machine lying around I guess that's another option, hook it up and start sharing the drive from it.

It'd be mainly for hard drives and perhaps a printer if I ever buy one. I seemed to recall Apple having this themselves, but I can't find it; must be confusing it with Airport.

quote:

As for the iMac SSD option it depends whether you want to bother trying to hack it up yourself. I don't know how euro prices for SSDs are, but in the US it's around $400 for a 256GB, vs $600 for the option. So about a $200 premium for not having to gently caress around with it, and getting a fully supported configuration in case something blows up. I guess you could wait for Thunderbolt drives/enclosures but that'll carry it's own premium too. The best option is probably just holding out for a refurb one with SSD, fully supported and a nice discounted price.

Let me rephrase: why do people pay a ton just to have a computer that boots up a little bit faster? Are SSD's really that revolutionary?

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

JP Money posted:

Yes. Have you used one? For everyday use I can't think of something I've been happier with computer-wise. Programs open super fast, no waiting around on copying things unless it's a fairly large file, etc. Combine that with a snappy processor and the benefits are even greater.

Most programs only have a few second start-up time anyway, and I can't remember the last time I had to wait for a file to copy; isn't that nigh-instantaneous anyways except if you're copying between volumes? (And then you'd only have the benefit of copying files faster if the other volume is also a flash drive).

I'll probably jump on the bandwagon in a few years time, but for now the cost really seems to outweigh the benefits.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on getting myself that iMac I've been dreaming about for so long, but I have a few last questions for you guys.

- Changing the RAM yourself does not void the warranty/Applecare, right?
- If not: what RAM can you recommend? I know it's PC3-10600 1333MHz SO-DIMM, but are there any brands or variations that are better or worse? (I'm from Europe so no need to post links to US stores.)
- Trackpad or magic mouse? The trackpad seems neat and I've gotten quite used to my MacBook-trackpad, and I'm planning on using a regular old wired mouse for games etc. anyways. Are there any downsides to the trackpad?
- I have an adapter to connect my MacBook to my old TV (white 2007 MacBook, so I think it's a MiniDVI-port that I plug a composite/S-video adapter into, and then it plugs into a scart block). Can I connect my old, non-HD TV to the iMac?
- On a slightly unrelated note, I'm being offered the option of getting a printer with quite a discount together with my new Mac. This'd let me get a HP Photosmart 5510 e-All-in-One for under €10 (under $15). Does anyone know any significant downsides to this printer/getting printers through Apple?

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

japtor posted:

RAM is user replaceable, although I have no clue if there's any issues with particular brands or anything. On the new Mac minis it seems like an abnormal amount has issues with Corsair but haven't looked into iMacs. Generally I just get whatever's cheapest from a name I recognize that matches the specs, like I've gotten whatever "value RAM" model lines for my last few machines. Just find some set and :google: the model number with "iMac", that tends to bring up user experiences with the combo.

Trackpad/mouse: as long as you're used to it already you should know whatever downsides there are to them. The Magic Trackpad is basically a giant version of what the notebooks have had, perhaps a bit more advanced if you have an older MB.

For TV output you'll have to get a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter/cable, then some VGA to composite/s-video box (this has to be an active adapter, not some passive cable).

Thank you for your answer.

I just found out that iMacs have four RAM slots instead of just two, as I thought it had. Can I keep the 2*2GB that's already in there and just stick, for example, 2*6GB next to it? Or would this have issues compared to just replacing everything with 2*8GB?

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
My new iMac just arrived minutes ago, and while I was being all giddy and clearing space on my desk, I knocked over my drink onto my old MacBook. I shut it down immediately and at first glance it seems it only got lightly splashed, so I guess it'll be fine. But just to be sure: what's the best way to make sure there's no residual fluid left anywhere?

I hope it'll be allright. I was hoping it'd make its fifth anniversary next year. :ohdear:

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Can you remove the battery? Also, if you have the right screws, pop off the back cover.

Open it and flip it upside down onto some absorbent surface. Let it sit for a day, blow a fan on it. If it was still working when you powered it off, you will be fine. Just make sure it's dry before you turn it back on.

Removed the battery and put it on its back (it spilled near the optical drive, so if there's any liquid in there it's probably in the exhaust vents). I tried to take it apart further (like Kuskus also suggested), but after taking out a small hardware store worth of screw I still had no idea how to actually take the cover off. Let's cross our fingers.

By the way, shouldn't Macs come with software discs, and APCC with a diagnostics disc?

Jolan fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 21, 2011

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Check on ifixit.com, they'll have detailed instructions on how to disassemble nearly anything apple has ever made in the last decade.

I took a chance and just turned it back on, and hooray! That's one meter-high drop and one drink spill survived so far. The only time I actually managed to gently caress something up was when I tried to force-create a Boot Camp partition against MacOS's advice, and even that was only a software issue. These things are durable as gently caress.

By the way, I'm loving the trackpad I got with my iMac. It feels like I'm in Minority Report (in a good way, I mean).

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Man, this iMac screen is WAY more reflective than it looked in the store. Are there any good options to 'fix' this, aside from very expensive kits or taking out the front panel?

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Turn off the lights.

No lights on, curtains closed, maximum screen brightness, and I can still count my nose hairs in the reflection. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

My PIN is 4826 posted:

But only when there's something dark on the screen, right? Sure, annoying for watching films and playing dark games, but most UIs are bright like these forums.

Truth be told, I can barely see myself when I'm doing stuff in, for example, Word, but only when I've got the screen turned up bright enough to give me a headache. It's terribly, terribly noticable when I'm reading websites with a dark base colour or, as you said, watching video files.

Kuskus, I'd rather not start screwing with the hardware, so I won't try that until there's no option left.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Auriak: don't know about such adapters, but you could get a Bluetooth transmitter that you can plug your speakers in, and then use that as the audio-out device on your MacBook. I've got this and it's been working fine so far.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Return it, buy a Mac Mini and one of the nice new LED backlit / IPS Dell or HP monitors.

Mac Minis don't have a powerful enough graphics card for my needs (medical imaging processing), and Mac Pros are way over my budget. I could go for a custom PC but then I'd have to get into fiddling with hardware and hackintoshing, and one of the main selling points for an iMac was that it just works as-is, without that fiddling.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Auriak posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at similar devices, but they are a bit more expensive than what I'm willing to spend on something that is really only a minor inconvenience. Just out of curiosity (as a last resort), how well does Bluetooth stay connected to it? Do you have to tell it to find/reconnect to the device each time you get back in range?

I always turn off both Bluetooth and the device when I'm not using it, so I'm never in a situation to have it auto-connect.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

the radeon 6630m in the high end model doesn't work?

http://www.barefeats.com/mini11_01.html

No; I took the high-end iMac specifically because it's got a Radeon 6970M graphics card, which has over 2600 G3D passmarks, compared to less than 600 for the 6630M.

By the way: the iMac is facing away from all light sources, and even in a dark room where the screen itself is the only light source, I can see myself drat clearly. I'm giving it one week, if I haven't adjusted to it then I'm getting a refund.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

movax posted:

That's interesting though Jolan, I read the Thunderbolt display review today on Anandtech, and he had zero complaints about glare on it, saying that worst case watching a dark movie or something, he could crank up brightness to compensate. I figure the panel / coating they're using is still the same as your iMac's.

After experimenting a bit more: a dark movie in a completely dark room with full screen brightness: doable. Working with medical scan images (usually lots of black) while writing a report in Word and having a light on so I can read my physical notes: very annoying. Constantly switching over the brightness from full to half when I'm tabbing between images and Word sort of helps, but it's a really dumb solution. I'm hoping something else comes up.

I don't know if it's because of the glossy front or not, but I must say this monitor displays shades of grey (and I guess by extension other colours as well) beautifully. Small variations in mass density in scans show up much clearer on this screen than on other I've worked with. Not sure if that'll be enough for me to offset the glare issues, 'though.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 24, 2011

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Don't put the light right front of the screen.

The light's on the ceiling, with the actual bulbs nearly 2 metres away from the screen, hanging about halfway between the screen and me. Any other insightful remarks?

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I'm still struggling with the glare issues on this new 27" iMac. I still have a few days to make a decision about returning it or not, and I'm looking into those Photodon glare reduction films. I've found a video review from back in 2009 where someone demonstrates the product, and it seemed that while the glare was reduced*, it made the screen significantly fuzzier. Photodon has, however, since then come out with thinner films, but I can't find reviews of those different types of film that include pictures of the effect. Does anyone know if such reviews exist?

* They 'tested' glare issues by pointing a light bulb directly at the screen, so the effect in a real-world environment is not entirely clear, but I'd infer from the test that it'd work.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I have an Apple Remote that came with my late 2007 MacBook, and I want to couple it to my 2011 iMac now. So far, I can't get it to work at all: the MacBook responds to it perfectly, but the iMac doesn't do anything. Infrared options under the "security" preference pane are enabled, so that's not it. Is there anything I'm missing?

Edit: allright, now it's responding all of a sudden, but I still can't couple it properly. And the menu-button doesn't do anything, which is unusual.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 8, 2011

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Apparition posted:

Would this be powerful enough to run current gen games on max settings? I'm kind of confused whether or not running windows on my mac will be the same speed, slower, etc.

I haven't really tried newer games yet (I'm still cathing up on things like Mass Effect 2), but so far I can play games flawlessly with all the graphics settings on the highest possible level and a pretty huge resolution. (But I do have the 2GB graphics card option, don't know if that does a lot.)

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

You Am I posted:

I have a mid 2009 MB Pro 13" which still covered under AppleCare. I have noticed today that the screen has a small patch of backlight bleed in one corner when there are light colours shown in that corner. On dark colours the bleed doesn't show. Is this an issue with the screen or are there any utilities I should run on it first before sending it the local fruit stand?

I have rebooted the Mac, but it still has a small patch (like a couple of millimetre in size) bleed.

Applecare includes phone support, so just give them a call first if your local Apple store isn't around the corner. Otherwise, just bring it in and see what they say.

I've heard rumors at my Mac retailer that the launch of iPad 3 would be paired with a low-key Macbook Pro 13" and 15" update. Probably untrue, but fingers crossed nevertheless.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 7, 2012

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Fats posted:

I hope that's not true, I just bought a new 15" assuming there would be no updates until summer. :downs: I hope the 2-week return/exchange policy is valid at the weird "authorized" Apple store on campus I bought this from.

I hope it'll be true, because I need a new work laptop. :)

There's talk on MacRumors about a possible update in April, but also speculation about the SuperDrive disappearing from the 13" and 15" models. Which would suck, since the only reason I'm holding out for an MBP instead of an MBA is the combination SuperDrive/13" screen.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I have a late 2007 white Macbook, and the last few months I've noticed that the battery was extruding about 1 millimeter at the side of the lock mechanism, which could cause issues with trackpad input at times (although simply tilting the MB slightly so that the extruding bit doesn't touch the surface fixes this). I know Apple batteries expand when they start to fail, but I wasn't worried too much because I had planned to buy a new laptop soon. My finances are turning out to be less than stellar at the moment, however, so I'm hoping to keep using the laptop for at least a few months longer. The damage an expanding battery might cause to the internal workings doesn't worry me too much, because the expansion seems to be very limited and not progressing rapidly, so by the time it will have any lasting effects I'll have saved up for a new one. The only thing I'm really worried about is people saying the battery might explode. Is this a real issues? I've heard the possibility thrown around a lot, but have not found actual stories or examples of it happening. And I don't really feel like buying a new battery now if I'll be tossing the whole thing in a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

kuskus posted:

At this point the battery can't be any real use to you, right? Just remove it and continue normal use without the battery.
You _could_ bring it into an Apple store and ask very nicely what you should do about these issues and they might offer you a free swap. Can't hurt to ask.

It still hold a decent charge, like nearly 2 hours of watching movies with full brightness. I'm positively flabbergasted about the quality of Apple hardware, battery included. The non-Apple laptops my family has have needed a replacement battery after 2-3 years. That's also why I want to save up for another Mac and not settle for a cheaper device.
I'm planning on passing by an Apple retailer sometime soon (we don't have 'proper' Apple stores here), I'm not expecting a replacement from them but who knows.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 9, 2012