Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I picked up one of the new Airs today, after spilling some pop on my old 2009 unibody Macbook (which, as it turns out, is a little more liquid proof than I gave it credit for, but that just means I can sell it for more cash, because I'm not giving this beauty up), and it works like a charm. I can't get all of my data onto it until I return from vacation, but it's lighter, faster, and I love the Lion upgrades (though I miss my command+arrow desktop switching). The only thing I'll have to replace is half of my "connect laptop to TV" cord, which isn't too much of a worry anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

movax posted:

I think you should absolutely get the 13". 1440x900 @ 13" is usable, 1280x800 @ 11" gets too close to your run-of-the-mill netbook.

Personally I'd get the 13" 128GB MBA, no upgrades. That fucker already meets or exceeds the performance of my 2010 2.66GHz i5 MBP.

That's exactly my thoughts, and what I ended up doing. I looked at the 11", but there was no way I was getting the $999 one, because 64GB is not nearly enough (that's double my iPhone, and there's not much on that little fucker), and the 2 inches of screen is well worth the $100 it costs over the upper-end 11".

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've always had to rely on visiting Apple Stores on vacation, because I live a good hour and a half away from the nearest one (which I've never been in, oddly enough). I've had laptop batteries replaced in Orlando and New York, an iPod replaced in Chicago, and most recently, a new laptop in San Diego. All of these places had some really great customer service. The guy replacing my battery in New York did it for free, saving me a good $150, and the guy in San Diego said he would have replaced the laptop that I spilled Diet Pepsi all over if it had been under warranty still, despite the water damage (it was past the two years of Applecare I got for it when I bought it).

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have an old Unibody Macbook (the very first ones) that I'm looking to sell (actually I probably should have sold it the moment I got my Air, but that's another story entirely), and I just had a few questions about clearing poo poo off of it. What's the best way to clear the laptop of all of my personal information and important stuff, and if I do that, will it drop back to the OS that I bought it at? I've upgraded to Lion on this machine, and Snow Leopard before that (I have the discs for Snow Leopard, but I can't remember if they'll be usable more than once), and it will probably add to the resale value if I can say it's got the latest OS on it. (I just got the battery replaced for free, so there's that as well.)

Also, are there any other cheap things I can do to add a bit to the resale value? I'll be including a charger (duh), a case (if I can find it), and as many of the discs/booklets that came with it that I can find (which should be most, I've kept them fairly organized). I lost the box long ago, but I don't think that matters too much.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So Lion is a no-go, then?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fleshweasel posted:

the aluminum unibodies? Those will run lion.

Well yeah, it has Lion on it now, but I gather that it won't if I wipe the computer and reinstall. Right?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In the process of clearing my old Macbook for sale, I'm not able to find the install discs, neither the one it came with nor the one for Snow Leopard. Is there a way I can do a wipe without those? I have iLife and iWork and the applications disc that it came with, but that's all I can find.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is anyone else with 13" Air from last year having issues with the trackpad? Mine is loving up and not registering properly. Is this something I'll just have to take it in for? It's getting to the point where it takes me 5 minute just to switch tabs, because I have to click until it stops acting like I'm holding it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've been waffling on getting a new computer for a while, and since my 2011 Air is turning 4 in the summer, and I'm almost done with car payments, I think this new gen of Air would be a smart buy. One question: If I'm just using the thing for internet browsing and travel and a few other light things (no gaming, no video streaming), is it worth it to upgrade the RAM or the CPU? The two combined are an extra $250, and I've only started wishing my computer were faster in the last year and a half. Would the upgrade from a four year old computer be enough, or is there a reason to get those upgrades?