Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I have an Air with 4GB and I do find myself wishing I could get 8, specifically for vmware. I don't mind it so much because it's still enough to run a VM when I have to and I have a second machine that I can use for heavier tasks. I wouldn't personally trade it for the bigger laptop because it's fairly rare that I need/want more than 4GB and can't access a desktop.

I agree with Star War Sex Parrot; if they add an 8GB option I think you'd probably be fine. The only other drawback I'd mention is that if you're maxing out the CPU/GPU for a significant amount of time the fans can get a little bit loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I've been fearful for the death of Firewire, but hopefully a TB-FW adapter shows up one of these days. Personally I can pretty easily replace my Duet with a One, and the big audio interface I want will have Thunderbolt support, so it's not that big of a deal.

This isn't a cheap option but these two things would work:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresscard34thunderbolt.html
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fw800expresscard34.html

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Kilometers Davis posted:

My 6-7 year old MBP looks flawless aside from a dent. I don't think it's a concern unless you're buying cheap laptops.

It happened to my MBP of the same vintage.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Is there a technology that anyone sees in the near future that would have the same impact as an HDD->SSD upgrade? I'm not aware of anything which is why the lack of upgrades doesn't bother me so much, but if there was something like that coming I'd be interested to hear about it. I suppose five years out is a long time but I think we knew SSDs were going to be big five years ago?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Haswell refresh is rumoured for early May, but this might mean nothing for Apple because they don't always follow Intel's release cycles. Broadwell seems like it'll be this fall at the earliest but maybe not till early 2015.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

flavor posted:

Apple's flagship laptop releases have closely coincided with Intel's mobile releases, so it's not unreasonable to assume that that will continue.

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking about some of their less popular machines when I said that.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Nitr0 posted:

Riiiiight....

This is ridiculous and makes no sense. Thanks for your insight into the computer workings.

If the damage caused a higher bit error rate in some component then I could see it writing incorrect data to the disk more often, resulting in a higher chance of odd behaviour in OSX. (Or crashing due to code signing errors.) I don't know if liquid damage would likely result in that rate of bit error or if non-catastrophic liquid damage would tend to manifest in some other way. If you do have insight into this I'd be interested in it.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

So my 2012 refurb rMBP has started having some sort of charging issue. I have to reset the SMC every so often if I want it to charge. This has been happening for a couple of weeks now. I've been too busy to look into it much beyond finding out how to reset the SMC but might try more this weekend.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Kingnothing posted:

Have you tried a different MagSafe adapter? Have yo been using a third party one or one with the wrong wattage?

Nope. I don't have another one to test with. I've only ever used the adapter that came with it.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I took in my rMBP and they replaced the power adapter. It was charging fine in the store after that. I returned home and it won't charge again. :/ I guess something is wrong internally. Have an appointment set up again for tomorrow. Thankfully I'm still under warranty.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Doctor Zero posted:

Silly question, but you never know. Have you tried plugging it in to different outlets in your place?

Yep. I've tried outlets I know work with other machines that draw several times more power than the mbp.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Just got my rMBP back and it turned out the MagSafe 2 board needed to be replaced. They did point out that if it had been the logic board it would have been over 500 without a warranty. I assume the point of that was to show me that buying AppleCare before my 1 year expires might be a good idea. I still think I'll risk it.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

You can patch the relevant kext yourself to trick the driver into thinking you have an Apple SSD, but it's effectively the same thing TRIM enabler is doing. There are scripts around to do this but I'm too lazy right now to check that they won't in fact destroy your machine so I won't post any.

Disabling TRIM might no longer be very easy in some future OSX (10.10 maybe?) since Apple are going to be locking down kexts and will require them to be signed. That might be possible to work around by patching the kernel but if they introduce a secure boot chain you might need to jailbreak OSX in order to enable TRIM.

(Note this secure boot chain part is wild speculation and it might not happen or might only apply to new hardware. It's unclear to me if they even could introduce a secure boot chain for old hardware. Apple devs did say kext signing will no longer be optional in the near future.)

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I think most of the Mac announcements happen without prior leaks.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Didn't Intel recently release a price sheet for their current generation chips that can be used in Pros? Is this a good sign?

Yes but they added chips to the price sheet in September that have only become widely available quite recently, so it might be a while. (Or it might be next week, I don't know)

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Bob Morales posted:

Wasn't the rumor a touchbar standalone keyboard?

Or is this a sign that that was a dumb flop

I think that's rumoured for 2018/2019.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Krispy Kareem posted:

This gives me feels. I'm not in the market for an iMac, but if eGPU works out this sounds like a machine that could still be fast when Trump leaves office in 2038.

I've also heard (not verified) that it works as a TB3 display.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Try putting them in a bag of rice if you're going to try risking it. I don't really want to advise you to take a particular course of action when it might risk damaging that very expensive laptop.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I'd stop using a machine after it stops getting software updates, or at least stop using it for any network related tasks.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Krispy Kareem posted:

Just being a little sarcastic. It’s unusual to reboot a laptop, much less a desktop. Even rarer an Apple desktop.

It's pretty normal to power off a machine so that encryption keys aren't stored in memory at times it's far more likely to stolen. You can configure power modes where instead of sleeping the machine will hibernate without storing the keys but it's probably more reliable to just power things down. If the machine being stolen and the data accessed isn't something you're concerned with then of course this is irrelevant, but that's not the case for everyone.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Looks like you've probably also got some kind of VPN installed?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Does anyone make a USB C hub yet? As in, I plug in to a USB C port and get a bunch of extra USB C ports. My searches have only resulted in finding USB C to USB A hubs.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

They do exist! I found it from Belkin's website based on the notes of that podcast. Will have to listen to it later to hear what they said about it.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Apparently you can use MST/displayport daisy chaining as of High Sierra, but there are mixed reports on whether it works. I'm not going to install the beta just to find out if it works. I'll try again when I upgrade to 10.13.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

No idea. I've seen a couple posts that claim it works but there weren't many details on it, and other people that tried claim it didn't work. Might be different hardware or maybe it doesn't work and those posters are mistaken.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Edit: beaten

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I'd probably try to use the existing heat sink and rig up some kind of newer fan on it if that's possible.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Hopper posted:

Thanks to globalization IT sits somewhere in eastern Europe. I don't even have any rights on this machine. Had to get IT assistance to install a printer (and other stuff that was supposed to be pre-installed). I asked them to give me limited rights so I can install programs. The answer was "no admin rights on company property", he didn't even grasp the concept of limited user rights. They also managed to send me a Monitorr that comes with a DP cable but included a mini do to hdmi adapter instead of miniDP to DP.

So yeah IT won't help.

I'm not really advocating other people do this, but the first thing I do in any job is make a disk image of the machine I've been given and then reinstall the OS. Depending on the environment that can cause various levels of pain but I've always found it less painful than dealing with a large corporate IT. (Note: don't do this if you're worried they might fire you or whatever)

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I think they also improved the keyboard a little bit.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

freezepops posted:

On the plus side, at least now I know never to get an AIO ever again. My god I’m an idiot.

I wish there was a decent desktop Mac that wasn’t an AIO.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Courage is going to mean merging the iPad and MacBook product lines, not bringing back function keys.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I agree, at least for now. They’ll start by better aligning the APIs across macOS and iOS and maybe allowing iOS/macOS fat binaries and merging the app stores. There are already rumours they’re working on something along these lines. Who knows how exactly they’ll merge things but I do think it’ll happen in the next few years.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

If they have some secret breakthrough to make homomorphic encryption usable then sign me up.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yeah spectre will take a lot longer to sort out.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Binary Badger posted:

It's so stupid/elementary and used to be part of what put Mac laptops ahead of the pack, Apple is literally getting shittier for no other reason than that they're losing sight of the poo poo that makes them great.

I agree. It seems like the designers are going a step too far with the minimalism. The result of this is machines that are less functional for everyday use than their older machines. There are cheap USB C cables out there that light up when providing power so I think Apple could have added a little LED indicator in the cable.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I just use an external keyboard with the tMBP.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Xcode

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Use an external keyboard at home/the office and only use the built in keyboard when you absolutely have to.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I think they’ll continue with the Mac line for a while yet. If they port Xcode to windows or Linux or iOS then we can probably start talking about the death of the Mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I think it’s like 14 days, and you’re going to be pretty pissed because both the 15 and 13 will probably get an extra couple of cores. They’ll probably have a better keyboard too.