Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

movax posted:

You can open up Activity Monitor and look at the 'Page Out' statistic near the bottom. That number never goes above 0 for me unless I have a ton of apps running + VMWare (8GB RAM).

Really? I have 1.12gb swap stat right now and all I've been doing is browsing the internet (3 safari windows 13~ tabs 1 a khan academy flash video, which is probably the thing kicking crazy ram usage) I wish the MBA supported 8 gb of ram :(, I'm not even doing any hard work right now.

e: vv I have 4 gb, I couldn't deal with 2 and really think that purchasing the 11 with 2gb this year would be a mistake for most people.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

2GB is fine, there are millions of C2D Macbooks out there. Are you programming or running VM's or other stuff that needs 4GB? If so, you probably didn't buy an 11" Air.

I'm not sure if it's webkit 2 or a memory leak but Safari itself takes up 500-1gb if you've got some tabs up easily. Add in lots of people who don't use click-to-flash and I'm sure it can balloon up to 1.5gb super easily if you're on facebook/youtube/whatever else is popular.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Rabid Snake posted:

I have the new 11" MBA and my build number seems to be different than others.

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7 (11A2063)

I also received the Samsung SSD, but it appears that some people have gotten the toshiba SSD in there new MBAs.

I think the faster toshiba SSDs are only in the 13 inch ones, at least thats what the benchmarks made it look like.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Is there any reason why my p key wouldn't repeat when held down on my 13" MBP?

In Lion a new feature was introduced similar to what is on the iOS devices (Holding down a key offers up different language/accented characters -- Try holding down n for example). I don't know of any accented "p" characters, so maybe that's your problem.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I've actually been considering an iPad + Mini combo, with the Mini doing HTPC duties, light gaming, and whatever the iPad can't do. My only concern is that I do a lot of long-form writing, and I'm a little wary of how that would work out with that setup.

iPad + iMac/mini is a great solution, pick up a nice iPad case so you can sit it up while you type with a bluetooth keyboard, and you're fine for longer writing sessions. For edits and reviews you'd likely want to do it in a full desktop environment. It's still a lighter combo than almost any laptop, and has a 8-10 hour battery life.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Best Buy is selling their C2D 11" Airs for $832

Today I bought a kindle for a 20% off code on the new MacBook air. Wasn't planning on upgrading but I did want the 256gb drive.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 6, 2011

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Cockwhore posted:

Elaborate, please.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=3178897

Only way to get it in time is to pick up a kindle from a store (or buy a code off of ebay/a friend who won't use the code)

There is a 1+ month shipping delay on the airs from Amazon due to how many people are taking advantage of the deal.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Anveo posted:

For anyone who ordered a Macbook over the weekend with the 20% discount and was worrying about the month+ estimated ship dates - I just got an email from Amazon saying mine is going to be delivered Monday!

Me too, even though yesterday they adjusted the price even $50 lower for me, I thought for sure that'd push me further back. So happy!

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Progression Please posted:

A. Not getting hair/dirt/poo poo under the keyboard

Had my 13 MBA for a while now, almost 6 months and I don't see any problems unless you're eating over the laptop and maybe have a cat or something that likes to walk on the keyboard. The spaces between the keys aren't deep/tight enough to really trap anything in them.

quote:

B. Not scraping/ruining the casing?
The aluminum is super resilient. I'd imagine it is pretty hard to scratch. I carry it every day in a messenger bag with an iPad and is hasn't scratched yet. (My new 2011 one will be here tomorrow~!)

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I told myself I wasn't going to look up what SSD + panel came in my new air but I have no self control, Samsung SSD and panel. The panel looks a little better than my old air, but it's not a huge difference.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Looks like 10.7.1 is out, I'm gonna give it a day to see if anybody has crazy issues like last time.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

pipebomb posted:

If you can spare the cash, it's the best upgrade you can make to a modern computer.
Agreed, it makes using a computer that is without an SSD downright unpleasant. Almost as bad as a malware infected computer, and I mean that with minimal hyperbole.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'm perfectly happy having a Mini and an iPad. My laptop lived docked to my screen almost all the time before I got it, and after I got my iPad it didn't leave once.

Alternatively, I am fine with an MBA + external screen and iPad. I travel a lot more than I used to so having the ability to take my main computer everywhere is nice. The new MBAs are pretty powerful too.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Hamburglar posted:

I just bought my wife a Macbook Air (13") for her birthday, and I have an odd request for advice.

She's not really into computers, but like everyone else in the world, she needs one. She's still using the heaping pile of poo poo Averatec Windows XP laptop I bought her when we first started dating (8 years ago). She likes the Air a lot, but is very practical, and I can tell she doesn't like it simply because she's not a computer person, and if she needs to get any info on the internet, she does it on her phone (an iPhone 4).

Sounds like an iPad might have been a better choice, but what kinds of programs are you looking for, getting programs that just show how kick rear end the laptop is are probably completely dependent on each persons uses.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

That's a year away and may or may not happen though.

I ended up going with the upgraded drive just because I didn't want to worry about any constraints or regrets.

I want to install office, final draft, Diablo 3...I don't want to have to worry about space.

Plus I figure come next year the extra hard drive space isn't going to HURT the resell value...

Always a fair bet, and Diablo 3 looks like it's going to be around 30 gigs, so extra space is always fine.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
They probably have to renew the hold every month or few weeks or something.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

lelandjs posted:

So I got one of those $99 TouchPads and I've barely touched my 2010 MacBook Air in a week. Is it crazy that I'm considering ebaying the MBA and buying a 2011 Mac Mini? From what I can tell the base level Mini can handle Source games just fine and the fact that its got thunderbolt means that I'll theoretically be able to plug in a real graphics card down the line.

Depends on your uses, but plenty of people get along with a mac mini/imac as their workstation with an iPad/tablet for on the go browsing/reading/light editing. Looks like you're one of the lucky ones who can manage without a laptop on the go!

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Do you guys turn your magic trackpads off when you go home for the night/work for the day?

I don't either.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Safari seems faster than Chrome...true?
I use Safari because it supports the back swipe while showing the page moving. For the time being, I prefer it, and it feels slightly faster. I'm sure that will change soon enough.

quote:

With the revamped spotlight, is there a need for a program like Quicksilver?
I used to use Alfred, but I just run default spotlight now.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Just got a new macbook air and after a couple days of using it accidentally let it get down to 0%. Did I gently caress up my battery? I think it doesn't charge as fully anymore but it might just be in my head.

You're supposed to let it go down to 0 once a month or so, it'll be fine.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

Welp, that's right out of my price range.

:negative:

How can I make $2400 fast? Difficulty: I'm just starting law school.

Back alley legal advice! Alternatively, you'd better be in a top tier law school and kick some rear end while waiting :(.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

There aren't that many demanding PC games now. Developers learned that lowering requirements means more people can buy your game.

I think it's more due to console ports rather than catering to lower end machines.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

El Duke posted:

not sure what you and your boss are doing, but I get 6-7 hours out of my late 2010 13" MBA with normal use and always have, and I know I'm not the only one.

Ditto, 7~+ hours with click2flash on @ 60-70% brightness.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

helium muppet posted:

Quick question:

I setup my parents with an Apple TV and an ipad 2.

I can stream youtube videos and shared music from their computers via the ipad2 to the apple tv. Problems is- music and video that are on the ipad don't stream to the appletv.

I pick the output to Apple TV and nothing happens.

Did you try 1) rebooting the iPad and 2) double tap home, swipe to the left screen(swipe right) and see if the little icon to change outputs is there?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Did everyone end up getting their Macbooks from Amazon with that big coupon they had a while back?

I did, any questions in particular?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
For what it's worth, the air can also do video editing so you don't need a desktop either. It's obviously not as quick as a mbp, or desktop (if that is truly important due to you editing large videos often)

What game(s) do you want to play? It sounds as if for your uses, an air would work, but a pro would be better.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Games the Air is great for:
  • Nethack
  • Farmville
  • Quake 3: Arena

I had 60 fps in WOW and I don't know my FPS offhand but I have no problems playing TF2, L4D2, Portal 2 (anything on the source engine). It can also play SC2 quite well, and will handle Diablo 3 well enough for me.

Since he said he uses a 360 for gaming, he'll be able to play most games on that with some PC exclusives if he's interested on an air. If he wanted to become a hardcore PC gamer, he shouldn't even consider the air.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Echoing everything in this post.

Also the i7 wasn't really necessary. In hindsight I should have skipped it.

It's not the best bang for the buck, but if you aren't the type to sell and upgrade every year (or two) it's not the hugest deal to stick with the i5.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

They used to but it's discontinued.

I love the Magic Trackpad with my iMac but I wish there was a way to middle-click. I use that all the time for opening new tabs with my mouse. I guess holding down cmd with my other hand will have to do. First world problems yadda yadda.

Use better touch tool to make the 3 finger tap a middle click, it works well.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The i7 is not worth it on the Air.

edit: I should clarify that. The i7 is not really worth it on the 13" Air. It does make a noticeable difference on the 11" Air, since its base i5 doesn't turbo nearly as high as the base i5 on the 13".

It's like 10-15% faster on intensive tasks, but it's very minimal time savings for the extra cost.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I imagine they'll introduce a cheaper 21" TB display. And by cheaper I mean it will cost $700.

If they do that, it probably wont be $700. The 27 inch display is competitive with other high resolution displays. It will probably carry a premium over 21 inch IPSes ($200-250?) Maybe $400-500, but I don't really see it being three times the price of other displays in the same class.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
That would make me switch from an air to a pro as long as it wasn't only the top-top-top of the line models that had crazy rear end displays.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Would the OS even be able to scale correctly?

quote:

Apple's intention to increase screen resolutions on its Mac hardware was signaled by the covert introduction of a HiDPI display mode with Lion earlier this year, and today we're hearing rumblings about the first laptops that may make use of it

Yeah, but I don't think people were expecting it to realistically come for around ~5 years.

Rumors don't mean very much, but with the hi-res ipad 3 and other tablets becoming a reality within the next year, it's possible that it could actually happen.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Scissors posted:

How would they handle the graphics processing requirements of a resolution that high? 2880x1800x32bit = 20.7 Mb/frame. That seems pretty crazy, especially since MBP aren't exactly known for their top of the line graphics cards.

The Ivy Bridge onboard GPU is supposed to be able to push /decode video at 4K resolution with no problems. For gaming, you'd continue playing at 1440x990 to maintain the same aspect ratio at a playable framerate (Or use a thunderbolt external GPU with some crazy rear end high end graphics card(s)).

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
In Chrome it has the look up in dictionary, but it makes it a popup window rather than a nifty little popin.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

El Duke posted:

Three finger double tap on the trackpad. Double tap above the Apple logo on my Magic Mouse.

Holy crap, thanks!

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

illcendiary posted:

I wouldn't buy used, period. Spend the extra ~$200 and get a new one from Amazon. The no sales tax is a nice bonus.

Edit: Maybe I seem like I'm taking too hard of a stance against used. I would probably buy from someone on SA Mart. I have no idea as to how reliable re-sellers are on Amazon. I think $200 is worth the peace of mind.

Nothing really wrong with used, but only if you can:

Get detailed pictures documenting any scuffs/scratches/dents
See how many cycles the battery has had
See the magsafe and make sure they don't wind it like a stupid gently caress causing damage to it

or- Offer a 30 day return policy in case you aren't satisfied.

--

Otherwise, I'd just try to spend the extra and get a brand new/refurb.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

nwin posted:

Does all this pretty much ring true? I thought there was no way to upgrade ram on the 11" air due to the ram being soldered to the motherboard, but the others were fair game...

You can't upgrade ram at all in the Airs. I use my 13 air as my only machine, and I edit photos in lightroom & photoshop. Runs quite well, the worst portion is trying to perform a batch action script on like 20 raw photos, or exporting a poo poo ton. For single edits, it's pretty fine, the 2500k is a powerful enough processor.

e: If she wants an air, she can buy it and try it out for like 2 weeks. If she notices it's chugging on work she does, she can return and buy a MBP.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

I was seriously looking at the Envy when it was first released but the trackpad is such loving garbage it would piss me off to no end.

Why can't PC's make a trackpad? How hard can it really be. gently caress sakes.

Lots and lots of patents on the good things from Apple. I think they're scared of being sued to oblivion-- but that doesn't explain the Hp Envy, so who knows...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Endman posted:

Just saw some leaked benchmarks for Ivy Bridge and apparently the Intel HD4000 is going to be ~125% more powerful than the HD3000.

The next Macbook Air/Pro stock refresh just can't come quickly enough. I need some new technology in my life.

Oh drat... I didn't want to upgrade this generation.