Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not sure if this is the right thread but it seems to fit. I've got a MacPro1,1 that I recently purchased some upgrades for, including a SSD to replace my boot HD. I'm curious about the best way to go about cloning the drive onto the SSD so the computer recognizes it as my new boot drive. A friend recommended something called Carbon Copy; said it was relatively painless. Is the cloning process as literal as I'm led to believe - will the computer recognize the new drive as identical to the old one? The only thing I'm really worried about is losing, for example, product licenses or keys for my audio software.

Also, this is my first time installing anything more than a stick of RAM in a computer - I'm totally green at this but I'm told it's DIY-possible. What sort of precautions should I take? I'm aware of grounding; how big a deal is that and how should I do it? I'm putting in the SSD, two 3TB HDs, and 16GB of RAM, keeping an additional 8GB of the original RAM if I have the slots available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

BobHoward posted:

It will be identical, you will not lose licenses. There are multiple ways to do this but Carbon Copy Cloner is a pretty good and easy to use option, or at least was the last time I used it. The only real difficulty that may come up is if you don't have enough space on the SSD to hold all your data.

Grounding: if you plug a cheese grater Mac Pro into a grounded outlet the entire metal case is grounded. Touch the case every so often while working, and don't do things that would generate a static charge (scuffing wool sock'd feet on a carpet etc), and you will be fine.

The Mac Pro 1,1 is very easy to work on when it comes to these items, the only one which might get tricky is the SSD. Do you have one of the 2.5" to 3.5" drive adapter trays where the 3.5" SATA connection is exactly where it would be on a real 3.5" SATA HDD? If so, you're set.

I grabbed an AdaptaDrive for the SSD, yeah. That's great, sounds easier than I thought. Thanks for the tips!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've got a dumb question about VNC/AFP. I have my MacPro and iMac linked with a CAT5 cable and routinely use OSX's native VNC/AFP protocol to control the iMac remotely and to move the occasional file between the machines. I have a feeling the cable isn't being used though as screensharing seems to slow down drastically during periods of heavy wireless usage. There's got to be a way to force VNC/AFP to only use the hard Ethernet connection between the machines, right? How do I set this up?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I have a couple of Mac Pro questions. Turns out that 1,1 tower I bought on the cheap a few months back just isn't cutting it; it's about as slow as my old iMac even with the RAM and SSD I added - I should have known better, I guess. Anyway, I'm in the market for a new(er) DAW machine and this time I'm prepared to spend what it takes to get one that doesn't kill my creativity. I do enough of that on my own.

A friend of mine who's a local heavyweight film/TV composer said I should be looking at a 5,1 model with 6-thread dual-core 2.4GHz processors and 1333MHz RAM - seems I'm only running into 2.66GHz models though. He says that by dropping in a pair of X5690 SLBVX CPUs and up to 128GB RAM, it will become "the fastest machine they never made." Does this sound about right? Anyway I'm looking around on eBay and Kijiji and I've found a couple of models that fit the criteria - I think I'm going to go for this one, but gently caress those import charges... I wish the CAD wasn't in such a lovely place, too. Anyway, the plan is to grab an Accelsior S card for the 6G SSD I already have and maybe some more RAM if the price is right but 32GB is probably enough. I will upgrade the CPUs somewhere down the road.

The other option is some kind of Hackintosh... I have zero experience or knowledge with any of these but this guy came up on Craigslist today and some of those numbers _sound_ better than the above 5,1 and it's a lot cheaper, but again I don't know anything about these. Are they known for compatibility issues with Mac software or anything like that?

ANYWAY, the main question is this: As I said, I've currently got all my audio/video software installed on my 1,1 tower running OS 10,6,8. I believe all of it is installed on the SSD. What is the most efficient way to transfer all of this software, VST plugins, licenses etc. to the new machine? Presumably the new machine will come with OSX ready to go on one of its drives. I want to drop in my current SSD into an Accelsior card, put that in the new machine and have that as my boot drive. Am I better off wiping all my software and licenses and starting from scratch or is there a better way?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Thanks, this is really informative. I suspected what my friend suggested would be a bit on the side of 'overkill' for my purposes. If I go with his suggestion, I'll probably leave the RAM at 32GB and won't even think about upgrading the CPUs for some time. I run Ableton Live (OS 10.6.8 doesn't support the latest version though), but I'm thinking of getting a copy of Cubase as well because Live doesn't seem to enjoy talking to some of my hardware, particularly my Access Virus TI2 synth. Occasionally I run Adobe Premiere for some light video editing.

As for my current machines, the iMac is an 8,1 with a 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB of 800MHz RAM. It was really slowing down and sometimes would not launch Live at all, so I jumped on the Mac Pro 1,1 that a friend was selling. That one has 2x 2.66GHz Dual-Core Xeon CPUs and 21GB of 667MHz RAM. I know, it wasn't exactly a smart purchase. I immediately dropped in two 3TB HDDs and a 240GB 6G SSD, hoping they would make a big difference.

I'm heading out for work in a few minutes but later tonight or tomorrow morning I'll run Activity Monitor over one of my more intensive Ableton sessions to see what's up. What should I be looking for in terms of indicators that my CPU or RAM or HD is bottlenecking?

As for transferring to the new machine, I just want to clarify some things: So if I get this Accelsior S card to mount my current SSD in the new machine, and boot off of that, I'm booting into 10.6.8, correct? Presumably this 5,1 I want to buy comes with Yosemite - how do I get the new OS onto the old SSD? Also, is the Accelsior card going to yield a noticeable performance boost? I'm under the impression that this is the only way to take advantage of the full 6G speed of the SSD.

Thanks again for all your help BobHoward, I really appreciate it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Another question about this new Mac Pro I'm looking at: Most of the models I'm seeing on eBay have ATI Radeon 5770 video cards - it doesn't look like this card supports dual monitors, does it? My current tower has a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT with two DVI outs that I'm running into the HDMI inputs on a pair of LG IPS monitors. Would it be unwise, or even possible, to switch out the old video card into the new tower, or should I spring for a new card entirely?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I pulled the trigger on a Mac Pro 5,1 - two quad-core 2.4GHz Xeon processors, 32MB 1333MHz RAM, Radeon HD 5770. Price could have been lower for what it is, but it comes with some software that sweetened the deal like Final Cut Pro and Adobe CS6. First order of business - and probably the only one for a little while - is to drop my SSD in via an Accelsior S card, as I mentioned above. I'm curious, now, about intermediate storage solutions. Is it possible to stripe the internal drives in a Pro tower to some kind of RAID configuration?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
OK, last questions about this 5,1 tower I bought as it is due to arrive soon.

I understand that I should be able to drop my boot SSD from my old tower into the new one, boot from that into 10.6.8 and have all my applications and plugins work fine, correct? Then it's just a matter of updating the OS via a download from the Apple Store? There's another thing though - the new tower comes with some software on it already, like FCP, parts of Adobe CS6 and Microsoft Office. How do I properly migrate all of that application data to the same SSD I'm putting in the machine?

Once this is all done, I'm taking the old tower, putting its original HDD back in and relegating it to my old iMac's duties as media/torrent machine. I imagine this is an even simpler process of using Target Drive mode and moving all of my music/movies/etc. to it.

Is there anything else I should take into consideration when migrating applications and data around like this?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Quick RAM compatibility question: I've got a Mac Pro 5,1 (2x2.4GHz quad-core Xeon) that's got 1066MHz RAM in it. I'm planning on upgrading the CPUs to a pair of 3.46GHz X5690s and I'm wondering if I can also throw in some 1333MHz RAM. Is this possible and worthwhile, or will the RAM be throttled back down to 1066MHz?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Bob Morales posted:

Are you sure that You don't have PC10666 RAM which is 1333mhz, not 1066mhz ram?
Edit I understand the lower end 5,1's came with 1066mhz ram (pc3-8500)
If you mix ram it will all clock down to the slowest speed

System Report says I've got eight 4GB DDR3 ECC 1066MHz cards.

EDIT: I want to replace it all with 1333MHz, not mix n' match it with the old cards. Will the tower be able to make use of the higher speed RAM or should I just stick with 1066?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 19, 2016

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

SourKraut posted:

I put an X5690 in my (firmware flashed) 4.1 and put in 3x 8 GB 1333 and it recognized it as operating at 1333.

This is what I was going to do with my 5,1 - install a pair of X5690s - so it should work just the same then and I should spring for the faster RAM?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Just a quick file transferring question: I picked up a USB MicroSD card reader because I'm tired of Android File Transfer being hot garbage and hanging up while moving music to my phone. Dragging files from iTunes to the card it seems to not want to take unless I only drag very small batches of files. Is there a way around this? I need to have access to music but it's going to take forever to fill up this card...

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm looking to install OWC Data Doubler kits in both of my MBPs, but a friend told me something that freaked me out - he said part of the kit's frame has to be filed down or else it will make contact with something on the logic board and short it. This terrifies me. Is there any truth to this? Is it only for certain models? For the record mine are both 8,2s.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Last CPU upgrade question, I swear. In preparation for swapping out these chips, my buddy told me to go out and get a tube of thermal paste. I got some no-name paste (It's in a little syringe that says 'Silver Grease') and he told me I should have gotten brand-name 'Arctic Silver' stuff as it has "the right thermal properties" and is recommended by Apple. Is this a big deal, should I spring for the Arctic Silver or will the stuff I bought work fine?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So I swapped out the CPUs in my Mac Pro today with the help of a friend. Everything went well - he was very thorough and careful and definitely knew what he was doing. The machine booted up fine and the specs reflect the upgrade accurately.

The fans are just running loud. He said that the machine is developing a new thermal profile of the new chips and that the fans should slow down in a day or two (and if not, to take it in for diagnostic). Is there any truth to that? I'm going to reset the PRAM and SMC in a moment when I get everything hooked up again, but are there diagnostic tools I can use to make sure everything's OK?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's a 5,1. I've tried resetting the NVRAM and the SMC but the fans are still going crazy. Is there any truth to the idea that the machine needs to rebuild its thermal profile, to "get used to" the new CPUs, or is that bullshit?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

flosofl posted:

How did you try resetting the SMC? It's a different process for desktops than the unibody keyboard combo.

By unplugging the computer from everything, waiting more than 15 seconds and plugging the AC adaptor back in. Am I missing something?

eames posted:

I've never heard of this automatic recalibration before.
You could try booting it in the hardware diagnostic mode and check if it reports any errors related to the temperature sensors.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

For some reason this also isn't working. I'm holding down the D key and all it does is start up normally, albeit slower. I noticed that it's not making the startup chime sound either, any time I turn it on. Is this indicative of a particular problem?

A friend told me to take the heatsinks off of the CPUs and check the sensors. Are the sensor connectors the flat six-pin black pieces that connect the heatsink to the board, or is this just to power the heatsink fans? One of them seems loose in the sink, but doesn't look or feel like it's having trouble connecting.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The techs that inspected my 5,1's new CPUs (and everyone else I talk to about it) are baffled - they're telling me that the machine is not reading thermal information from the new chips and that basically the only solution is to put the old chips back in. Does this mean the new CPUs are just... bad? They show up fine in the system profiler and the machine ran noticeably faster and without any hiccups... But if they're not showing thermal information is this a sign of problems later down the road? I'm royally pissed off right now for having sunk so much money and time into this.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm having bad luck with computers. I think my primary DJ laptop (2011 MBP 15" 8,2) may have just bricked: Last night its screen turned to a grey checkered pattern and it became unresponsive. On restart, it hangs on a grey screen after the Apple logo and loading bar - even in Safe and Recovery mode.

Some cursory searching suggests it's likely a graphics issue endemic to the 8,2 model - true? Is this the end, then, or can I save it? I'm currently pulling all data off of its HD and boot SSD in Target Drive mode, onto an external HD. If the machine is toast, what's the easiest way to clone this data onto another laptop? I have an identical 8,2 right here. The file structure is preserved; can I just drag and drop the home drive contents onto the new machine's home drive and replace it, or is there a better way?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Pivo posted:

Yes the GPU issue is common in the 2011s. There was a warranty extension program but it has likely ended.

Yeah I'm pretty sure this machine is way out of warranty. Worth taking to an authorized service provider anyway, or should I junk it?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Pivo posted:

Read Bob's post, it looks like the warranty extension program for your issue is still in effect, but you'd better go soon, since it ends at the end of the year.

Thanks Pivo, you're all right. Also Bob.

I'm heading to MacDoc tomorrow anyway to get a new 5,1 - I finally gave up on fixing the fan issues and I'm going to trade the tower in for parts, hopefully a discount on a better-kept 5,1 that I can drop the X5690s in (if it causes the fans to fire up I'll cry). Anyway I'll see what they have to say about it, or take it right downtown to the Apple store.

EDIT: Well this is disconcerting. I swapped the drives into my other (identical) machine and it's hanging with a full loading bar beneath the Apple logo. :(

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 23, 2016

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Anyone run into an unresponsive login screen in El Capitan? My Mac Pro started acting funny today: I moved the trackball to exit the screen saver and it was unresponsive. When I put the machine to sleep and woke it, it appeared OK but all applications and Finder quickly became unresponsive too, so I performed a hard restart. I end up on the login screen with a responsive trackball but can't type my password.

PRAM and SMC reset did nothing. Recovery Mode and First Aid on all drives did nothing. It's not a peripheral issue, it still does it with nothing connected. Booting into safe mode is the only thing that seems to get me access to the computer and it all checks out, although some applications are glitchy or completely unresponsive, which has me worried. Shutting down and trying to start up normally yields the same problem.

As far as I can glean from searching around Apple Support, it might have something to do with hidden login items and launch agents - possibly from some lovely malware - is this possible? I'm looking in Library/LaunchAgents, /LaunchDaemons and /StartupItems and I'm not sure which ones to get rid of.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not a hardware question but an older Mac of mine (running 10.6.8) just recently stopped unarchiving .zip files... "Error 1 - Operation not permitted." The Unarchiver and other .zip utilities similarly don't work - some of them say the file requires a password. What's going on here?

EDIT: I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt smells, and I like to kiss my own butt.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 17, 2017

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not quite a hardware question but this is the best place for it I think:

My 'new' machine came with some Adobe products and the Acrobat auto-updater likes to run at least once a day, bouncing on my boy's dock and generally being distracting. I can't seem to find an 'uninstall Acrobat Reader' application, how can I kill this process?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm having a rather disconcerting issue with one of the SSDs in my Mac Pro. It's mounted in one of the optical bays, and it carries a bunch of audio samples and instrument libraries for quick-loading into my DAW.

Recently I've noticed it 'unmount' from my system on its own. This happened once the other day when I was just browsing, and once just now while songwriting, crashing Ableton.

Is this a sign of a failing SSD, or could there be some power supply issue to the optical drive bay? I also recently upgraded to High Sierra, wondering if that's made a difference.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So I asked this a few pages back but never got a response. Is anyone reporting drives unmounting/ejecting with High Sierra? Ever since I upgraded I've had a few strange issues but this is the only really serious one. An SSD I have mounted in one of my optical bays is ejecting itself randomly. Could this be related to the new OS, or is it a sign that the drive is dying?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm looking to downgrade from High Sierra due to a handful of issues I should have made myself aware of before pulling the trigger on the upgrade. Natch, I don't want to lose my applications, VSTs or any important data from my home drive.

A friend recommended I use Carbon Copy Cloner to create a clone of my home drive before running the installation of an older OS (in this case I'm going from a boot drive of El Capitan). Once the CC cloning is done and the home drive freshly wiped with the older OS, is it simply a matter of using Migration Assistant to replace all the old applications and data from the cloned drive, or is there anything else I need to do?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Quick video card question: Do all the generations of cheesegrater Mac Pro towers have the same PCI bus to connect video cards? I'd like to upgrade the card in my 5,1 to something nice and swap the old Radeon HD 7950 into an old 1,1 tower I use as a media center. Is this possible?

While I'm asking, I could use some video card recommendations for the 5,1. I do a little bit of video editing but I'd mostly just like to see my audio metering plugins refresh more smoothly.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Theophany posted:

video card stuff

Thanks, this is really comprehensive. I do worry about power draw issues because the electrical in this apartment is already janky. Suppose the beefiest cards are already out of the question, then.

In an unrelated general hardware question... I've mentioned a couple of times here that I may have a failing SSD. Thought it was High Sierra jerking me around but it's still ejecting itself at random in El Cap. It's mounted in one of my optical bays. Question is: What's more likely to be failing? The SSD itself or the cable connecting it to the motherboard? Natch, the latter is preferable as I can just grab another PCI card to mount the drive. Thanks!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What's a good modern GPU to dump into my MP 5,1? Are people still reporting compatibility issues with NVidia drivers? I'm running two monitors and doing the occasional video editing project, but it's mostly to keep my meters moving smoothly in audio software.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I know I've asked this before but support for AMD GPUs is built into Mac OS, correct? I finally grabbed an RX580 to drop into my 5,1, the plan then is to take the old HD7950 out and put it into my old 1,1. This should go over fine, right?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I got the wrong cables to power my old GPU today. >:( Both ends are the same size, but it looks like the Mac Pro 1,1's motherboard accepts a smaller connector than the ones on the graphics card end. Can anyone tell me exactly what part I'm looking for so I can return these tomorrow?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So I got the necessary power cables for the old GPU and threw it into my old 1,1 tower running Snow Leopard. It spins up and works, but it only seems to want to display in 800x600, and the TV it's connected to via HDMI doesn't see it at all. Do I need to 'flash' this card?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I put the HD7950 in the old machine, not the RX580.

EDIT: It seems that this card is just out of support for OSX 10.6.8. Bummer. I guess I'll put it up for trade in hopes that someone will have a 5870 they want to ditch. Thanks for your help everyone!

Double EDIT: Actually, is it possible to flash the firmware of a MP 1,1 to trick it into identifying as a 2,1? I seem to remember reading about this somewhere in the past but it's a rabbit hole I've never explored. Would this theoretically let me update the OS past 10.6.8 and run the HD7950?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 10, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So this (mostly self-inflicted) ordeal with my old Mac's GPU is almost over. I found a guy who wants to trade my HD7950 for his 5770, which should work in my MP 1,1.

I just have one question: does the 5770 require the six-pin power cables off of the mobo to run? This guy claims it doesn't, but he's also running it in a newer tower (a 4,1). Cursory searching of macrumors etc yields no joy so far. I don't want to give him my power cables as part of the trade and then find out I needed them all along.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 13, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Great, thanks for the quick reply. Do you know if the 7950 requires both six-pin cables to be connected, or if it can run off a single one? I'm trying to reach a compromise with this guy and if leaving one cable satisfies us both, I'm about it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Well this is just peachy. My Mac Pro won't start up. Chime, but no screens. Safe Mode doesn't work, neither does holding Option to select a boot volume. Resetting NVRAM, I held the keys down for what felt like forever and never got a second chime.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thanks for the prompt reply. When I get home from work I'm going to try removing all peripherals and see if that works, but good call on the battery, I'll look into that too.

I have noticed its startup takes a little too long recently, anyway - even when I replaced the boot SSD with a fresh one, my old 1,1 tower (also with an SSD boot) would start up quicker. Is this also potentially a function of a bad backup battery?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I replaced the backup battery in my Mac Pro 5,1 and it seems to have solved the 'no startup' issue (chime but no grey screen), but it's still taking its sweet time to boot, which is peculiar. Also when I wake the computer from sleep, its fans kick on full-blast for about 20 seconds. What could be causing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Binary Badger posted:

Did you specifically pick a startup disk in System Preferences? The drive should be highlighted in the prefpane, if it isn't, just select it so it is highlighted. Not picking a startup disk will make the system just poll all the devices until it finds one with a properly blessed startup disk.

Hm, I didn't realize the computer needed to be pointed at the startup disk, figured it would find it and then save it for next time. I selected the disk and restarted. It seems a little faster now, once the chime sounds at least, but the chime still takes a little longer than I'd like.

quote:

Not sure, are you sure it's the system fans and not the GPU fan?

Honestly I'm not sure - you're probably right though, this didn't start happening until I installed the RX580. Thanks for your help!