Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Mu Zeta posted:

Dear god please skip the first gen ARM Macs you know it's going to be a shitshow.

As someone who went all in on the G5 iMac one preorder day 1, I can attest to this.
15 minutes after the box was opened, and it started it's first boot sequence the lcd power inverter died. It took 3 weeks to get my replacement part and Apple took 4 weeks to remove the $180 "hold" they put on my visa for the return part even though they had it a day later.
see also: 1st gen iPod (sitting sadly in the bottom of a crate in my closet)
see also: G4 Cube (long since given to a friend)
see also: 1st gen iPad (only good for playing the original, good version of Yahtzee but damned if it doesn't have amazing battery life still to this day)
see also: 1st gen iPad mini (see 1st gen iPad)
see also: 1st gen Apple TV (and my 2nd and 3rd for that matter)

At least I'll be able to re-purpose my new hackintosh in a few years when my kids need their own computer and just install linux on it or something. I was really hoping to pick up a new laptop to last me many years but I guess this seals the deal that i'll just get a new ipad every few years from now on although even in that arena, much as Catalina has sucked in a lot of ways, iOS has too over the last few years getting less responsive and more... I don't even know what to call it. I hate everything that they've done after iOS 12.

Now I'm getting pissed about how much money I've given Apple over the last 20 years.
In addition to the above: G3 tower, G4 MDD, G5 Powermac, 12 and 14" iBooks, 2 macbooks, gumdrop g3 iMac, iPod Photo, iPod shuffle, iPod nano, keyboards, at leas half a dozen airport base stations, a magic mouse I can't change the name of (gently caress you very much Catalina), something like 8 iPhones... I should have bought real estate instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

cowofwar posted:

I hope you run an office or something because holy smokes that’s a collection.

yeah, no. Personal use.
I mean, I've run my websites for 20 years but these days it's just a wordpress thing and gmail handles the hard work.
I needed a decent workstation/laptop from like 2002 - 2009 but I've been a government employee for a decade now and just home use until the end of March.

I forgot my 1st gen intel mac mini which is just used to run my printer/ scanner since there are no drivers past Mavericks for it. Shared on Snow Leopard and runs fine that way.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I also forgot that I had a graphite until I read that but exactly.
I used to be in IT back in the day. My mac was the only machine in the office that was reliable enough to monkey with the Ciscos and run the billing software (based in FMP) at the same time. "Oh, you don't want to pay your bill? well your DSL is down now, surprise! Sure, I can take a visa over the phone." good times.

I've seen a lot of those older machines at the Goodwill Computer Store and other tech recycling places. I'm even staring at the MacOS Anthology set on my shelf right now so if you need to resuscitate old machines i got your back. I got a graphite for someone who needed an OS9 box for like $50 a few years ago.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

cowofwar posted:

The drop down side was an amazing innovation and and ditching it for all the subsequent form factors was a travesty.

Not to mention how solid the case was. Sealed up tight without a lot of noise* / vibration.

*not counting the cpu fans, cause god drat. Ready for takeoff, sir.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Endless Mike posted:

I really don't want to get on the first-gen ARM train

And the rain came down
He heard a wild dog howl
There were voices in the night
(Don't do it!)
Voices out of sight
(Don't do it!)
Too many men have failed before
Whatever you do;
Don't buy a fist-gen mac
Don't even check the price,
Don't buy an ARM Macbook
Until it gets at least once revised...

otter fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 16, 2020

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

~Coxy posted:

Awesome.
I would just change it to check the price.

Ok, just for you. It’s updated. And unlike Catalina updates, it didn’t break anything.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Pivo posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/28/touch-bars-t1-chip-variant-watchos/
The T2 chip has probably expanded this role somewhat. Not sure of the details.

It has to find Sarah Connor. But this time, to protect her.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Bob Morales posted:

John Connor: So this other guy, he's a T chip like you, right?
The Terminator: Not like me, T2, advanced prototype. 64-bit ARMv8 chip.
John Connor: What the hell does that mean?
The Terminator: It provides a secure enclave for encrypted keys, gives users the ability to lock down the computer's boot process, handles system functions like the camera and audio control, and handles on-the-fly encryption and decryption. In addition, approximately 10 months after purchase it will be replaced by a smaller, faster version. You will no longer be able to get accessories after a .1" size change and the one that you have will no longer be able to run Netflix without crashing.

fixed.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

It's not just Apple's phones. It's iPads, iPods, etc.
I defend the quality of my pre-coffee joke.
Apple makes modifications across their product lines that obsolete the accessories on a semi-regular basis. Especially with first gen products.
Much like my coffee, I am still bitter about it.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

im talking about cases, etc yadda yadda. Not printers / mice.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Well, take it way too personally and seriously, why don't you?
There are all kinds of things. Hard shell cases for the macbooks, that atari joystick thing I can't remember the name of in my closet that goes to the iPad (that you can't even download the software for anymore). It's not necessarily about taking accessories with you to the next generation as much as it is being able to get accessories for a functional device later on. Specifically I had to take to eBay to find what I was looking for in terms of an iPad case for my 1st gen without being outrageous in price. But who cares. It was a joke about the T2 chip and the movie Terminator 2: Judgement Day.

I'm halfway expecting that they're going to change watch band widths so that you have to buy all new bands too.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Matt Zerella posted:

I'd add another 8.

Not through apple though.

I had to pause (pre-coffee this morning) when reading this because my initial thought was "Oh yeah, I remember how photoshop got snappnier when I went from 8 to 16."
But that was when I went from 8 to 16 MB of ram. My brain kind of fell apart when I wrapped my head around the fact that it is commonplace for a system to have 2,000 - 4,000 x the ram that we used back in the late 90s. A boss powerbook was like $3500 which adjusted for inflation would be $5650 today. We live in the golden age of technology, my goons.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Bob Morales posted:

I just like when people ask “can I run the photoshops on MacBook Air”

Dude we ran photoshop on Mac II/Quadra/6100/G3/G4/C2D

And we only had 4MB/16MB/128MB/512MB/1GB/2GB

Do people even remember waiting 60 seconds for a blur filter to apply

over-40 crew represent

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Maybe Apple's Developer Kit should have a new slogan: Native Apps, Bitches!
with some ghost flames from 2001.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

a neurotic ai posted:

The 2012 rmbp was unironically the greatest laptop ever created though?

My 2019 16 inch? Absolutely terrible machine

ill give you $100 for it.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

WarMECH posted:

I like how everyone is down on B&H because of allegations of questionable working conditions while discussing the purchase of practically anything made in the world today, which has been proven to be made with child labor.

There we go

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I don't like the idea of touch screens on laptops because it trains people that they should touch everything to make it work.
Thats how TVs get fingerprints or worse.
It also ads cost to a device that X% of the users will never use, thereby driving up their product cost and making them at least some level more hesitant to buy it.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

They had MAME for the original iPad for like 4 days before apple pulled it from the store.
I still have it on my 1st gen ipad. I just wish the Atari arcade stick worked with it.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I for one welcome our new iPad app overlord.
I'm too lazy to find a Simpsons gif.

For years I have wanted the ability to just have Yahtzee in a little window on my main computer so that in between tasks I can just play my wife back instead of having to grab my phone and play her. Or while I am on some kind of godforsaken hold time with clients, etc.

At first I was distrustful of the merger between iOS and MacOS but the lines, they are a-blurin'.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

As someone who lost an iBook due to an oblivious (now long-since ex) girlfriend walking right through the damned cord crashing the ibook onto the floor, I still support it. Still one of my favorite features of my macbooks (neither of which will charge anymore, so... yeah, it clearly has it's own faults).

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Is that real-world 11 hours? or is it "we estimate that under x condition in a lab we got it to 10 hours and 1 minute once therefore" 11 hours?

I am still putting off buying a new iPad because my kid has one from school that only gets about 5 hours (6th gen standard iPad) and I really want more than that. I'd love a retrofit 17" macbook pro body with a huge-rear end retina++ screen and 20 hours of juice in it. I've got an empty visa just waiting for that event (which will never happen)

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

japtor posted:

Only getting 5 hours out of an iPad seems unusual, unless it's at like max brightness all the time and doing something semi intensive I guess, and/or just general battery wear if it went through a lot of cycles.

I had not thought to look at the battery cycles on it. I just tried to check the battery health and it is apparently not an accessible feature since the school district has their restrictions in place on it. I just turned the brightness from 100 down to like 60% and you can barely tell the difference aside from less of that "sweet jeebus my eyes are burning" feeling.

He is 5, so the way he likes to run things is max volume, max brightness, and watching videos on repeat while rewinding them. (eff you Catbug, and all your screaming in a loop!!)

Maybe now we will get a little more life out of it.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

that just makes no sense whatsoever unless there's some legit black magic going on in there, such as with Liquid Death Mountain Water (now with 100% real demons inside).
He used it for about 3 1/2 hours today. About 90 minutes of google meet, and then some short video about pumpkins, a web browser based test, and practicing drawing letters. It's down to 37%. So I have to assume the thing has probably seen some heavy use over the last 2 years and it's just an issue of battery life/health then. It's pretty much what stopped me from ordering a new iPad (8th gen) to replace my laptop for the last 2 weeks.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

SlowBloke posted:

i think your battery is cooked

Makes me so glad that it's not "mine" and the school can have it back in June.
I also thought the giant nerf case they sent it home in was a bit much and then yesterday Mr. I Can Carry All This Down The Hall had a very unsuccessful trip and I would have ended up buying that iPad without said nerf case. Kids just don't treat things that well overall. I would have been terrified my dad would have beaten my rear end but I guess that's the difference between being 5 in '85 and being 5 in '20. That and first run episodes of Silver Spoons a year or so later.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I was raised by my (single, poor) dad that if something doesn't belong to you then your responsibility is to treat it better than if it was yours.
Obviously, this lesson is not as widespread as I thought most of my life.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I got an 8th gen iPad the other day and damm it is the fastest thing in my house for web browsing by a mile. If an arm MacBook can be made substantially faster by not needing to be restrained by heat and size constraints sign me up.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Good plan. Hold the event while we are all busy furiously stalking out xbox series xs on fed ex trucks online and can't get upset at the decisions that are made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Last Chance posted:

There’s a new Xbox?

Not sure if that's sarcasm, but yes. And my workload from my office is super light through the end of the year, which is good because September and October nearly broke me. It will be what gets me through the next few months of remote schooling, idiotic politics, and mass consumerism (ironic, yes?) of Christmas. I'm super happy with my new iPad though, so I'll definitely be waiting for a few years before buying any new hardware.