Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'm a bit of a hardware idiot so sorry for sounding stupid. I'm trying to give my mid-2010 MBP a bit of love, so I've bought a nice big new HDD and am looking at increasing the ram up from 4GB. Apple says it can have a maximum of 8GB.

A single 8GB stick is cheaper than 2 x 4GB sticks, is there any benefit to having 2?

Any recommended brands or brands to avoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Caged posted:

Do you need the storage space that a hard drive gives you? I put an SSD in my 2009 MBP and it turned it into a completely different beast.

Unfortunately yeah. I looked into SSDs but the ones large enough are outside my budget.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Caged posted:

Have you considered putting the HDD in your optical bay? Or do you need that?

I didn't even realise this was an option, just Googled it and it looks pretty straight forward. Thanks.

Bob Morales posted:

Which one do you have? IF have a 15" system which only supports 8GB and not 16GB, you can't use 1 8GB stick - the biggest stick you can use is 4GB.

But if you have a 13" model you could get 1 8GB stick, since those will take 16GB. Using two matching sticks of RAM will be slightly faster than one single of the same capacity. Because of dual-channel and all that stuff. But if you have a C2D and a spinny-disk it's never going to be 'fast' so it won't really matter.

I have a 13" MBP 7,1. I think I'll go for 2x4GB sticks as I found them for only only a few £ more. After looking at the suggestion by Caged I think I might replace my current HDD with a 120GB SDD for OS X and applications and then have the larger drive in the optical bay.

Thanks guys.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Suqit posted:

What kind of a communist uses the hard click on the trackpad anyway?

I've met people who never changed a setting. No tap click, no double tap right click, etc. Even my basic system knowledge made me seem like a genius to them.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Does anyone have any experience with waterproof laptop covers? I've been offered a research placement in the tropics and will largely be using a laptop outdoors, where it will be humid and pissing it down, doing in-situ analysis.

They have offered to provide me with a Windows netbook, but I'd rather take my MBP (for flights, Civ 5, etc). Is there a waterproof cover reliable enough, or should I not risk it?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

shrughes posted:

My advice is unless you mind the MBP failing, stick with the Windows netbook. The humidity alone will kill your MBP -- not just rain.

Source: People from northern Australia and people bringing Toughbooks deep into Venezuela complaining about humidity.

Okay thanks, I thought that would be the case. Better safe than sorry!

At least Windows has minesweeper :)

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

What is the best battery practice for leaving a MBP switched off for 3+ months? Google has lots of results telling me different things.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Thanks guys. Yeah, I was going to be leaving for 3-6 months in July. Will drain the battery down to 30ish and shove it in a cupboard!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

nexxai posted:

Convince me not to buy a Mac.

I've been a primarily Windows-based sysadmin (with a healthy dose of Linux/BSD thrown in for good measure) for the past 15 years. I'm in the market for a new laptop and the 13" rMBP with a 512GB SSD and 3 years of AppleCare looks mighty attractive. For $2,178.00 (CAD) from the Apple Store, is that a decent price? I looked on Amazon.ca and couldn't find a better deal, so I would hope so, but maybe I'm missing something.

I do a lot of photography so I'll be installing Lightroom, and some occasional DJing so Ableton as well, but is there anything else I should know before I take the plunge? I've done a lot of research and it seems like this machine will do what I want, but I don't know what I don't know.

You may have done it, but it's always worth checking the refurb store for that model. Good savings for an identical machine.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

ethanol posted:

I just picked up the 13.3 rMBP with the 256 gb ssd. I'm going to need to run bootcamp for some student engineering programs but I don't want to fork over an extra $300 for the 512 gb for peace of mind with space. Curious if anybody has had any luck with something like this http://www.cultofmac.com/311348/visiontek-usb-pocket-ssd-review/ in case 256 really turns out to be too tight a squeeze later on:

could you not buy a larger ssd and sell the stock one?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

japtor posted:

My brother mentioned the dock icons on his MBP were missing so I asked him to take a pic:

He restarted and it was still like that I guess, he mentioned clicking on them made them show up. Could this be a hardware thing or just something like jacked up icon caches for the dock?

clear the caches... onyx might help ?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Apple still can't make power cables.

This replacement is less than a year old and its started disintegrating, despite never being moved from a desk.

Despite the fact you can see the actual wiring I've still got to go and visit the store to get it inspected/replaced... Urgh. Plus the absurd amount they charge for cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I like the Anker powerline USBC cables. I've had one used as my main charging cable since 2015 or 2016 and it's been great.

It's a magsafe I got less than a year ago, but would love any recommended third party ones.

Guy in the 'Authorised' outlet said it's a noturious product fault, then they later told me it wasn't covered under the warranty.

Apple support is basically zero help, just wanting me to drive to a different store now, in a different town centre... During a pandemic.

Useless fucks.