Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Oh man, probably going to get a MBA in the next couple weeks, just gotta decide between the 11" and the 13". It's a shame my iMac is the pre-thunderbolt one, so I won't be able to use it as a huge monitor.

I thought you could use the Display port on iMacs as an input? Or is that not compatible with Thunderbolt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Anyone tried Left 4 Dead 2 on it on the new Airs yet? If so how playable would you say it is on OSX or Windows?

I do have quite low standards as I currently play on an AMD E-350 with Radeon 6310 at the moment.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Notebookcheck says the Intel HD3000 can play it at over 60fps in high settings, expect a minor performance hit on OSX.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html

If I'm reading that correctly those numbers are for a quad core I7 desktop processor (and the faster clocked GPU that goes along with it). I'm wanting to know how much slower it runs on the Air.

Edit: Found a comparo between the old and new MBP, still interested as to how much slower the Air runs
http://www.techyalert.com/2011/02/25/macbook-pro-2010-vs-macbook-pro-2011/

dissss fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 23, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

movax posted:

I think you should absolutely get the 13". 1440x900 @ 13" is usable, 1280x800 @ 11" gets too close to your run-of-the-mill netbook.

Personally I'd get the 13" 128GB MBA, no upgrades. That fucker already meets or exceeds the performance of my 2010 2.66GHz i5 MBP.

The 11" is 1366x768, just like any other netbook and personally I don't think you'd want anything higher at such a small screen size.

IMO its the 13 and 15" MBP that are looking really weak as far as resolution goes, the 15" especially is so close to being a desktop replacement in most other regards.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

flyboi posted:

I guess being 27 makes my eyes old as gently caress because if my high res display on my 15" were any higher I would most definitely not be able to read the text. Then again this is Something Awful where goons care more about numbers than usability of a computer.

Which is why ideally text size should be decoupled from resolution, then higher res panels would be good for everyone. Pity no one has really got that right yet.

If your vision is fairly good then a bump in resolution is single biggest usability improvement you can do to a modern computer system.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

flyboi posted:

Ideally and realistically are two different things. The resolution on the 15" is fine, I can read it but I could not imagine a 1920x1200 panel as I would have to jack up the text size to even be able to read anything. My eyes aren't horrible, I wear glasses but the prescription is minimal and moot.

1680x1050 @ 15.6" is the same as 1440x900 @ 13.3". IMO it should be the standard panel, not an extra cost option.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

madprocess posted:

If you knew anything about screen tech you'd know it is. Also what dpi are these "retina" displays you're talking about?

Yeah Apple has defined "Retina Display" as 300ppi which is a pretty crazy resolution at 13.3" (well above the 2560x1440 of the current 27" displays).

Although I guess there is nothing to stop them redefining the ppi required given that you could argue you'd typically be further than 12" away from a laptop.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

A "2x" screen for an iPad would be 266 or so. Are you not considering that "retina"?

Apple isn't, at least not at the moment.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

SourKraut posted:

I have a friend who is thinking of picking up a 13" MBP for school, and I've been able to answer most questions, but they asked about whether the i5 is sufficient (they're a architectural major, so it'd probably be stuff like AutoCad, etc.), or if they should pay extra for the i7.

I see that the i7 Turbos up higher, is slightly-faster in terms of the HD3000 on-board graphics, and has some features (I'm guessing they wouldn't use) such as AES-NI and such. Is the i7 worth the upgrade cost?

I just don't think 1280x800 is enough screen resolution for stuff like Autocad - something else to consider anyway. As far as CPU goes the I5s are still blazingly fast, doubt it'll be much of an issue.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

That'd be down to your network speed.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Actually the Pros are often competitive too - at that level everything is mega pricey.

I think its the lower end where Apple is less competitive - thats one of the reasons why they dropped the plastic Macbook.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

They also don't change their exchange rates anywhere near as quickly as everyone else - not an issue for US buyers but its a big deal for those of us overseas.

Even considering sales tax its significantly more expensive for me to buy an Apple computer here than it would be in the USA.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

vty posted:

I've always preferred the older wide screens. I have a 24" dell 16:9 and a new 28" 16:10 right next to it, and I for what I do, which is terminal sessions to routers constantly.. or reading forums, I feel like it's much nicer to split the windows for width than height.

Except in general older screens were 16:10, newer ones are generally 16:9 (except for high end models which retain 16:10)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

The only dot I have connected is that all three 13" MBPs were of the mid-2010 variety. I had a 2009 13" for almost a year and a half completely problem free.

Could it be excessive heat somehow? (grasping at straws here)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Question about running Windows on an Air

When people say the Windows trackpad drivers 'suck giant donkey dick' do they mean that about the Macbook trackpads under Windows, or trackpads in general under Windows? I guess what I'm asking is would the Air trackpad provide a worse experience than what I'm used to in a generic Asus Windows laptop or be comparable?

Also can anyone comment on battery life running Windows (I'm assuming because the Air only has the single graphics card it should be much of an issue)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

carry on then posted:

I've found the trackpad to be marginally better than most PC trackpads on Windows (compared to leagues ahead of everything else under OS X,)

Thanks guys that's reassuring.

Hopefully I can get get my money back on my wonky-trackpad Asus netbook and go and spend double on an 11" Air w/ 4Gb RAM upgrade

Edit: 2 minutes of looking at the Apple site and I've already started thinking the base 13" looks like better value. drat you Apple and your sequence of 'just $100 more' configurations

dissss fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 16, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Which is strange for their newer devices, since they do have some Bluetooth mice and keyboards.

Their Bluetooth ones never worked very well though, and their alternatives with the normal receiver have always been pretty reliable. Perhaps they just gave up?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

So basically a cheap, expandable Mac wouldn't really be worth expanding? It just seems like an iMac or MBP with a stack of disks connected via TB are as good as anyone needs.

Unless you want to upgrade the graphics card(s).

Sure I guess technically its going to be possible with Thunderbolt, but you just know that externals are going to command a hefty price premium (assuring they ever take off at all)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Leave it plugged in. Don't sperg about the battery. The newer batteries will last a very long time.

How do you define 'newer'? The non-removable models?

Because one Google search for 'swollen macbook battery' will show you exactly what will happen if you leave a pre-unibody model plugged in for too long.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

~Coxy posted:

No, that shows you what will happen when you bad luck out and you get defective hardware.

So it was confined to the pre-unibody models then?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I don't think the importance of the extra screen real estate on the Air should be understated - it really is night and day as far as usability goes.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

japtor posted:

I think once you move down to 1920x1080 (or 1200) 24"ish, there's a significant price drop though, just watch out for the massive abundance of lovely screens in that size.

You really can't go wrong with the IPS Dell models, the only real complaint I've heard is they have TOO MUCH anti-glare coating (which sounds like it won't be an issue here).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Nerdrock posted:

Also : I'm sick of the computer being uncomfortably hot to the touch even sitting atop a little laptop "cooling pad" with fans blowing on it.

Even the latest Airs can get roasting hot if you're doing anything intensive.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

KingEup posted:

This is an IPS panel. Try again.

LG uses IPS LCDs in a lot of their products: http://www.lg.com/in/tv-audio-video/images/3D_Catalogue_S.pdf

That doesn't mean it has a good coating. Compare with an Ultrasharp or other quality panel.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

flyboi posted:

I'm sorry but a 15" 1080p display would be horrible unless you use magnifying glasses when you compute and like straining to read regular-sized text. Then again bigger numbers = better right? right? :awesome:

It looks fine to a lot of people, certainly better than the default panel in a 15" MBP at the moment.

Perhaps they could just split the difference and make the 'high res' panel standard (it's 1680x1050 so close to the same ppi as a 13" Air)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Actually gaming is a big reason to get a Mac Pro (or a Hackintosh.)
The Mac Pro can get a 5870, and will be upgradeable in the future to whatever new GPUs Apple releases, whereas the iMac will be stuck forever with whatever laptop GPU you order it with, presumably the 6970M which is a lot less powerful.

Or just bite the bullet and build a Windows PC for gaming.

Is there a way of using the Thunderbolt iMacs as a monitor for a generic PC yet? It worked really well on old models with the Displayport.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Or even better, get any console and save even more money.

Lets not get crazy now :p

Still interested in the second bit though, is there anything on the horizon that'll let a Thunderbolt iMac (or Thunderbolt display or that matter) work as a target for generic displayport/HDMI/DVI inputs?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

How much design work do you really expect to get done on a 13" screen anyway?

With the 13" models I'd tend to opt for a cheaper one and external monitor over something more expensive.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ACID POLICE posted:

So the temperature is just a consequence of the design, then? That's too bad if even changing the thermal paste doesn't help much, but all my Apple laptops are from around that time period so I guess I'm just used to them running pretty hot.

Keep an eye on the battery too - fairly sure that was one of the ones that would expand and ruin the machine if you didn't remove it soon enough

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Thanatus posted:

What is the difference in terms of performance between the 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 and the 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7? I am looking into either purchasing the 2.3GHz macbook pro or the 2.6GHz macbook pro base model? However, if I get the 2.3GHZ, I'll probably get the 750GB HD and install some RAM myself.

Also, are the high-res screen options worth the extra $100 or is the difference only noticeable by people working with videos and photos?

For reference, I'll be using my macbook for school, gaming, and probably some music software. I'm trying to pick one that will last four years.

The disk is going to be the way bigger bottleneck for most stuff anyway - you'd be much better off spending the difference on an ssd.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Arivia posted:

You want the ~$2200 2.6 quad-core 15" model for longevity's sake; it has 1GB of VRAM on the 650M while the 2.3 quad core only ships with 512. Huge difference, will definitely add some more life to your new MBP.

What outside of games needs that much video memory?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Ardent posted:

Well, I've considered Windows based machines already. The only models which really fit my criteria (high speed quad-core i7 in 15" or below with SSD) would be a 13" Sony Z which requires you to carry a "media dock" everywhere with the ati graphics adapter, or a 14" Dell/Alienware M14x which is 50% heavier, 2x thicker, very poor battery, worse screen and considerably uglier. There doesn't appear to be anything by Toshiba, Samsung & HP that fits the bill. For reference, I'm considering the 2.7Ghz model. The screen is pretty enticing to me since I'm a fairly serious hobbyist photographer.

Look at the Lenovo W-series, or possibly the 15" HP Elitebooks.

You don't want to be buying a consumer grade Windows laptop at the premium prices you'll need to pay for those specs

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Ardent posted:

Price isn't really an issue for me, but I took a look at the Lenovo W series which was something I'd not looked at before. An near-identically specced one with a 512GB SSD I buy myself (the largest SSD they seem to offer is 180GB) works out at roughly the same price as the Macbook in GBP, obviously with a lower screen resolution, 35% heavier and 2x as thick.

The other thing to watch with the W530 is the power brick - it really is a brick.

Thinkpads have their own appeal but I can see how one wouldn't suit if you want portability (the smaller, lighter ones are also much less powerful than an MBP)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I feel pushed for space on a dedicated Windows laptop with a 128GB drive - if you want parallels then I'd want more space

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Just do the SSD and forget the rest

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Jolan posted:

The only thing I'm really worried about is people saying the battery might explode. Is this a real issues? I've heard the possibility thrown around a lot, but have not found actual stories or examples of it happening. And I don't really feel like buying a new battery now if I'll be tossing the whole thing in a few months.

It's more likely it will suddenly start expanding really, really quickly (and they can get massive when they start doing that)

Definitely remove and dispose of it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

mediaphage posted:

One of Toshiba's Ultrabooms that premiered at IDF last year had a magnesium case. It was quite nice, build quality-wise. Too bad the screen was awful, though.

T-Series ThinkPads have a magnesium rollcage. Again most of the screens are pretty bad though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Because it would look retarded.

My Lenovo has two blue USB ports and one bright yellow one. Lets just say the resulting look is something Apple would never be happy with.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Yea, the 11" makes the 13" look like the 15".

My only real complaint about the 11" is that you can't plug two monitors into it. But I guess one of those could be a 27" and that's enough room.

Both the MBAs have quite a lot of bezel around the screen. I'd love to see an 11" MBA body with an awesome 12.5" screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

What gives you that idea? Anecdotally I don't know anyone who has bought a 13" Pro since the 2nd gen Air was released.