Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Are you able to use apps in osx lion?
Not iOS apps; Mac OS X has it own (totally separate) App Store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So regarding the HD problems in some iMacs, how do we tell if a given iMac is affected?

madprocess posted:

Retina displays? Maybe in 10 years, in the meantime dpi will just steadily creep upwards!
Screen manufacturers are shipping 10-inch retina displays this year. An 11 or 13 inch retina display is not that big of a jump. :confused:

Granted, I don't expect to see a retina 27' iMac anytime soon, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the smaller Apple portables get them in the near future.

CDOR Gemini posted:

a HDD/SDD combo
This is the one thing I'd really love in my MBP. That said, I am quite interested by the prospect of a 17' air.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 27, 2011

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

madprocess posted:

If you knew anything about screen tech you'd know it is. Also what dpi are these "retina" displays you're talking about?
A "2x" screen for an iPad would be 266 or so. Are you not considering that "retina"?

EDIT: But seriously, OS X Lion is likely to have a lifespan of 2 years or so. You really don't think they could go from producing a 10' 266dpi display to a 13' 266dpi in the span of a couple years?

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 27, 2011

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I'm familiar with a lot of this, but it says nothing about the availability of such displays at slightly higher sizes.

EDIT:

dissss posted:

Apple isn't, at least not at the moment.
Fine, let's rephrase. Considering the evidence that Apple is working on a "2x" -- i.e., 2x the DPI of the current display -- iPad, and that such displays are nearing commercial availability, slightly larger sizes, such as 11' or 13', are likely not far behind.

Given that the current lifespan of an OS X release is about 2 years, it does not seem to unreasonable to expect to see some Macs with such displays before 10.8's release.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 27, 2011

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

madprocess posted:

Who is producing a 266 dpi 10 inch screen. Where can I buy it. How much does it cost.

If the answer to the last two is "well not at your local store" and "over $1000 for the screen alone" then it sure as poo poo ain't ready for the home market.
They're not commercially available yet; as I noted earlier, mass availability is expected later in the year.

Just because a part isn't sold directly to consumers at your local big box store, it doesn't exist as part of any other product? Really now.

Or has technology stopping advancing? If so, please let me know, there's some R&D people to lay off.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

madprocess posted:

You know aside from the fact they can only do it at 10 inches now.

Protip: a just invented never mass produced screen at 10 inches now does not mean 13 inch versions in Macs in 2 years.
No need to lecture me; I've spent a chunk of my life doing R&D on future products and future versions on products -- albeit not at Apple, although I do know people there -- and, while you're all chatting about the next big thing, keep in mind there are people already working on the next big thing after that, and designing the one that comes after that one.

So while you're correct I can't say for certain that we're going to see a Mac with a 2x display in 2 years, or what it might cost, I think it's quite likely these products are in the pipeline. Even beyond Apple, I've seen enough to know other companies think such displays in commercial products in the not-distant future are a lot more likely than you imply.

Of course, only time will tell.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

madprocess posted:

Personally, I don't expect Apple using "retina" panels in their computers until they're available at all sizes of screen they sell. It would just be bizarre if you only had say the 11 and 13 inch Airs with Retina displays (especially since they will always have lower end graphics chips than the rest of the line due to their design) while all other models still had normal displays.
Maybe, maybe not. They did introduce it on the iPhone before the air.

While I imagine they'd prefer to start from the big, high-end monitors, I don't anticipate seeing a 27' 2x-DPI display soon. If they waited until they were, they could be way behind the curve on that.

I've taken care to state that very hi res displays aren't impossible, they're just not likely to be out for quite some time.

madprocess posted:

That's another reason I don't see Apple being the ones to introduce really high dpi screens to computers, they do like to hold off and not go with stuff like this right away.
Sometimes, yes. But then again, sometimes they do like the first out the door with certain things.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Sidenote: One of Apple's recent knowledge base articles makes reference to a late 2011 iMac.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

japtor posted:

Yeah that's been there for years, I meant as a standard non developer thing meant for normal users. From WWDC last year they basically said to design for 2x (cause the issues with fractional scaling)...hopefully the work to get that done would get in between levels to be usable enough though.
They're advising developers to ship 1x and 2x bitmaps, not vectors, so I'm not sure how much of a help that will be to you.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 17, 2012

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Fat Whale posted:

Some serious evidence for "Retina" display Macs:

This is going to be so great, hopefully it sparks a fire under the rear end of the entire industry and gets companies working on ultra high res, high PPI monitors/displays!
Apple has been telling developers to prepare retina-sized assets for Macs, and Microsoft has supposedly been saying the same.

While I wouldn't hold my breath for a 27" 5000px display within my price range anytime soon, if the iPad 3 does indeed sport a retina screen, I think it's fairly safe to assume laptop-sized retina displays won't be far behind.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

wheez the roux posted:

Is there any reason to think the 15" MBPs will be out this month and not rolled out in the Summer alongside the 13" laptops that just entered production?
Chip availability, if you believe MacRumors.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I am a little sad, if a 15" is shipping this month, then it most likely means no retina display. (I am assuming we have to wait for ML machines for that.)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Bass Bottles posted:

I know there's supposed to be a major refresh on the pro line soon, but how soon? I've read some people say end of April and others say mid-July. I'd really rather not go 3 months without a laptop.
Well, what size do you want?

A lot of retailers are reporting not going more stock of 15" models, which usually indicates an update coming very soon. On the other hand, updates to the 13" and 17" are likely a few months off.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Bob Morales posted:

The 15" and 17" could update at the same time since they use quad-core chips. The dual-cores don't come out till June so that would be a reason for the 13" to be stuck until then.
As much as I would like a new form factor for the 17's, Apple tends to delay those a bit.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
MacRumors speculating Apple may drop the 17" MBP :argh:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I've always been curious - how do the double-drive iMacs present the disks to the user?
I have an iMac with an HD and SSD, and they show up as completely separate disks. The OS and user directories are on the SSD, and the HD has nothing on it, by default.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The new Macbooks Pro need the hi-res display as default, no optical, 128GB of onboard flash like the Air, and a platter drive. Make it so, Steve.
If they're going to do retina screens in the next revision, it makes sense to wait for ML. Presumably the software side isn't done, yet.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Hiyoshi posted:

Are they both named Macintosh HD?
No, one was named "Macintosh HD 2" or something like that.

flavor posted:

Presumably we know just about jack poo poo whether something is done or not. But apart from that question, what major "software side" is there to a retina display? It's just a display with a higher resolution, and there needs to be optional support for making some elements larger so they're reasonably visible under that resolution. This could also be added to Lion and doesn't justify waiting an indefinite amount of time for a new OS version. (It would be a different story if there already was a release candidate of ML.)
Uh, lots of graphical assets, for starters? There's a lot of under-the-hood improvements for this in ML, too.

Yes, Apple COULD roll a special build of Lion, or even some weird Lion/ML hybrid. Or they could just release ML before or when machines with the new displays are ready.

There are a lot of things Apple *COULD* do, but with ML just around the corner, I'd be shocked if we see the displays before the new OS.

flavor posted:

The Sandy Bridge MBPs also needed OS X additions in order to support the CPUs and Thunderbolt, so Apple just rolled a special version of Snow Leopard for their release before re-joining the branches with the next SL update. I don't see how that would be impossible for Ivy Bridge and retina displays.
I was just talking about retina displays, not Ivy Bridge.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

triplexpac posted:

I've been monitoring this page like a hawk, after weeks there's finally an update on new iMacs / MacBook Pro

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/14/unreleased-2012-macbook-pro-and-imac-models-showing-up-in-benchmarks/
9to5mac is claiming the new 15" is not tapered like the Air but simply significantly thinner, with a retina display and USB 3. As a result, there's no more ethernet built-in, you'll need a dongle.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So what kind of cable would a retina monitor use then?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Bob Morales posted:

Thunderbolt since it could handle it.
Nothing bigger than a 1920x1080 at retina, though.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

flavor posted:

I know Boot Camp would give me the full resolution, but I'm not buying an MBP to primarily run Windows on it.
That could depend on the driver implementation...

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/desktops.html

Any changes? New laptops reflected...

No 17 inch :(

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Apparently there's a 3 to 5 week delay if you want a 768GB flash drive. :(

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Apple Store posted:

There may be some items in your cart that qualify for a discount. Please refresh this page in your browser. If the issue persists, please try again later or call the Apple Store at 1-800-MY-APPLE.
Over and over again... :argh:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

flavor posted:

I got into the live chat after ten minutes or so of waiting and the trick was to take out the gift card from the order. They said they'd send it later but it already subtracted $100 from the order.
The EDU bug appears to be fixed now.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

tuna posted:

Ordered the Retina MBP with 2.7ghz and 12gb ram. It came with the 512ssd default so that made that choice easy. Waiting on confirmation email now :f5:.
12GB? I only see options for 8 and 16.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

terriyaki posted:

Totally torn between the upper model non-Retina MBP with the 1680x1050 upgrade vs the base model MBPTNG.
Retina 1680x1050 (so 3360x2100) is what I really wanted in a 16. They'll probably offer that in a revision or two :p

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Great Enoch posted:

Is there a technical reason why the 13" didn't get a retina update or is it just not that practical an application?

Slightly disappointed as I was hoping to get a 13" since all my bags are made to fit them.
Apple has a habit of rolling out updates to the 15 inch models first.

I expect you'll see a 13 inch with a retina display, it's a question of "when."

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Sinestro posted:

I love timing sometimes. I finally get money and, hey, new MBP! Is the 2.6 -> 2.7 worth it if I am using it as a desktop replacement, and likely to have to stick with it for a refresh or two?
If you're not doing anything intensive, I doubt you'd notice. I do heavy Xcode builds, so I spurged on the CPU.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Fat Whale posted:

According to David Pogue, Apple is currently redesigning both the iMac and Mac Pro, and they're underway for a release in 2013.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/david-pogue-new-imacs-and-mac-pros-coming-probably-in-2013/

Update:

MacRumors posted:

A MacRumors reader writes in to share an email he received from Apple CEO Tim Cook after he asked about the future of the Mac Pro:
Our pro customers are really important to us...don't worry as we're working on something really great for later next year.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

fleshweasel posted:

If that's so, and Diablo III is supposed to be Retina optimized, is that going to mean that the UI and font rendering will be 2880x1800 but the 3D rendering will be 1440x900 and upscaled?
Only if their programmers suck.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Man it's gonna be a long 2 weeks waiting for my new MBP.

Went with the 2.3Ghz 16GB option. :unsmith:
When I selected the 768GB flash drive, the ship time went up to 3-5 weeks. :argh:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

flavor posted:

Interesting that it did that and also that you selected that option. I thought that $450 was outrageous for that. I think all SSD sizes are kinda too small, so even with 768 GB I'd use an external HDD or network storage for many things.
I agree, it's pricey, but I have some very large XCode projects, and I also need a large Windows partition/VM.

I also do a lot of work on airplanes, where space is at a premium.

On that note, I'd love to hear some reviews of how the display works in Windows.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

tuna posted:

RMBP arrived this morning ahead of schedule. Why does wifi have to be down at work? WHY :negative:

I'll post Cinebench results later.
Any chance you'll be running Bootcamp? I'd be curious to know how the display works there.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

mediaphage posted:

The airplane thing is the only thing that gives me pause, really, but I'll probably just live with using a tablet if the guy in front of me leans back.
I've been using my 17" inch on airplanes. I'm looking forward to trying retina 15".

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

tuna posted:

In case anyone is looking for sleeves, etc. for their new rMBP, I ordered an Incipio sleeve for my rMBP the other day and it arrived lastnight. They say it's for the rMBP but I'm fairly sure they're just the normal MBP sleeves on a slightly different page. It's not as snug as it should be but feels like it'll do a perfectly reasonable job of protecting it still. In my usage I'm putting it into a rucksack with a few other things in there that might scratch it, so it works fine for me until something better comes out.
Just curious - Which sleeve did you get?

Trying to decide on a case for my rMBP (which doesn't arrive for a while.)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Decius posted:

The part about the MBPR only doing 20 fps while drawing the desktop in the Anandtech-review
It sounded like performance is notably better under Mountain Lion, though.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Argali posted:

So does anyone have any inkling as to when we can expect the next wave of iMacs?
Possibly a minor update about Mountain Lion's release.

If you mean a major update, rumor is retina screen iMacs will ship in 2013. I really can't wait to see the 27" retina display they're purportedly working on, that poo poo will be insane.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

fleshweasel posted:

It'll be amazing, although I don't see what's particularly technically difficult about applying the engineering of high density displays to larger sizes.
I don't work in display manufacturing, but scaling up these processes, you run into a few issues, among them, yield and cost. IIRC, there's a small probability of a problem with a given pixel, and when you multiply that across a larger number of pixels, the probably of a given display being defective increases.

Beyond that...
- A 27 inch retina display has nearly 15 million pixels, and I haven't researched this, but I imagine the GPU needed to push that much doesn't exist yet. (For reference, this is 2.7x the number of pixels in the retina Mac Book Pro, which is itself quite taxing on its GPU.)
- Not an issue with an iMac, but for external displays, I'm told Thunderbolt may not be able to push that much data at 60fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
How for those of you who've had an rMBP for a few days, how are you feeling on GPU performance?