Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran
Not sure if this would be better in the old computer poo poo thread, but looking for a bit of help with an old Mac question:

My brother-in-law has managed to get his hands on a working PowerMac G5 (7,2) and has asked what the best way to get it on WiFi would be (no wireless preinstalled). Not quite sure what he’s planning on doing on a 15 year-old machine once he’s online, but the question is does anyone have a recommendation for a currently available USB wireless dongle that will work on this G5? I think it’ll take up to OSX 10.5.8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran

ltugo posted:

I use one of these. Works great all the way down to 10.4

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MTTJO...KXgzj6zVN9-g6wc

Brilliant, thanks for that!

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran
On the topic of thunderbolt docks, does anyone have any experience of the Brydge Stone Pro dock?

https://www.brydge.co.uk/products/stone-pro

I don't see many reviews for it online but it looks like it has most of the ports you'd want in a nice form factor?

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran
Following on from display chat the other day, I was wondering if anyone could help me getting my setup working?

I have a 13” MacBook Pro 2020, 4 ports, i7 running macOS 10.15.7 (waiting for some applications to be made compatible before upgrading to 11) and I can’t see to work out how to use my 3 external monitors at the same time.

The Apple support page implies I should be able to connect up to 4 displays at higher resolutions than I’m currently using:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211192

I have the following 3 external monitors, along with a Startech TB3 dock, various USB-C to DisplayPort/HDMI cables, normal HDMI/DP cables, and TB3 cables that can be used with the LG monitor:

LG 38WN95C – 3840x1600 144Hz
Asus PG279Q – 2560x1440 165Hz
Dell U2412M – 1920x1200 60Hz

No matter what combination of cables/ports I use I cannot get all 3 screens working simultaneously; as soon as 2 are active nothing is detected when I plug the 3 screen in.

Closing the laptop to disable the internal LCD doesn’t make a difference. However, when I bootcamp into Windows 10 20H2, I’m able to see all 4 screens as connected and can use all 3 externals simultaneously by disconnecting the built-in laptop screen in control panel, so this doesn’t appear to be a hardware limitation?

Does anyone have any clever tricks or tools I can use on the macOS side to get this working?

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran

jabro posted:

Are you running all monitors from one side of the MacBook? Only two monitors can run from one TB bus. If you haven’t tried it yet run one from the other side of the computer.

I've tried various combinations of ports but still no luck - I thought that maybe the TB hub was using too much bandwidth, but even taking that out of the mix and just using direct cables from the MacBook to each monitor still only gives me an image on two at a time. Like I said, I can get all three running simultaneously when booted into Win10, so I don't think this is a hardware limitation I'm hitting. Is anyone else on here successfully connecting to 3 external monitors on their 13" 2020 4-port MacBook?