Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Alright, I'm stumped. I assume this question belongs here and not in the Software thread, although at this point I don't know where the problem lies.

I'm running Lion and I want to install Windows 7 onto a second partition. The first problem I have is that I can only create a 23Gb partition for Windows in Disk Utility, even though Finder says I have about 70Gb free. I don't have FileVault enabled, although I used to -- I had to restore my install from a Time Machine backup a few weeks ago when my computer absolutely refused to boot up, and haven't re-enabled it since. (Actually, I'm not 100% certain the TM backup was running FV either.) Disk Utility is just showing my Lion partition as taking up all bar 23Gb of my drive.

The second problem -- the more worrying problem -- is that I can't boot into the Recovery partition. Whenever I try, the screen flashes for a sec, and then boots me back into normal mode. This happens if I try to boot off the recovery partition on my internal drive, and also from a recovery partition I created on an external HDD (using the Recovery Disk Assistant).

What dark magicks do I need in order to get my computer running sensibly again? Would I be able to run a Snow Leopard install DVD, use that to format my entire disk and restore my TM backup, and also create a partition big enough for Windows 7? Or has Lion changed my hard drive too much with its recovery partition nonsense? (That, in my case, isn't working?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

wolffenstein posted:

Why aren't you using Boot Camp Assistant?
I am. Well, I'm trying to. But Boot Camp Assistant is also only letting me create a 23gb partition.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Bob Morales posted:

Local snapshots taking up the space?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4878
That could be it. Thanks!

I'm still concerned that my recovery partition isn't working, though. I'll see if I can fix that once I have Windows installed...

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

mediaphage posted:

I was surprised that the weight didn't bother me as much as I thought it would, tbh. I swore long ago that I would never get another big, extremely heavy notebook. I guess since it's not quite 1.5 pounds heavier than the 13-inch air, it's still light enough to avoid offending my delicate sensibilities. :p
The RMBP actually weighs slightly less than the 13" MBPs, which is a neat point of comparison. Though it might say more about the 13" being too heavy to begin with...

Also, maybe this is an obvious point, but I suspect the only reason Apple are keeping the 13" MBP at 1280x800 is so that the inevitable 13" Retina at 2560x1600 doesn't seem like a downgrade. I can't see them running the same resolution across the 13" and 15" Retina models, and the scaling would mean people coming from an Air could still run at 1440x900.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Guys, I have 99 problems, and they're all hard-drive related.

My MacBook refused to turn on this afternoon after being off all day. After booting into Mountain Lion's recovery console and checking the disk, I started getting errors about "Invalid node structure", and that my hard drive couldn't be repaired. This itself isn't a huge issue as I have backups, though I did track down a second spare external and made a copy then using Disk Utility (which also ended up with the same node structure error, so I'm guessing my actual HDD is fine.)

The real trouble started when I tried to restore from a Time Machine backup. I have two partitions on my TM drive, and my backup partition is password-protected. When I tried to restore from that partition, OS X only offered to restore to the other partition -- as if it couldn't read my internal HDD at all. Fine, I thought, and tried to erase the disk -- which obviously it couldn't do, as it was mounted. So I booted from a Snow Leopard CD and erased the partition from there. But that must have also wiped the recovery partition, as I can't access it any more, and Snow Leopard isn't letting me restore my TM backup as I suspect it doesn't recognise the password-protected partition.

Have I completely hosed myself over? I have two backups and what looks like a properly-working HDD, but in the absence of a 10.8 boot disc I'm not sure what I can do.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

I'm pretty sure my 2009 MBP's logic board is failing, as every few weeks now it refuses to boot up. Disk Utility complains about 'Invalid Node Structure' on my boot partition, but the hard drive itself seems fine and when I reinstall everything's hunky-dory for another few weeks. Does a logic board issue sound plausible? Someone on another forum was suggesting it's writing corrupted data to the disc, and this makes sense, as when I made a copy of the partition on a new hard drive it showed the same error, and the most recent time this happened OS X was complaining about having to repair the Library.

If so, what are my options? I was holding off on an RMBP refresh to upgrade, and I'd rather not spend any money repairing this if it's just going to be replaced soon. On the other hand, I do need a computer, so I'm thinking of picking up a new 13" Air, waiting for the RMBP refresh, and then selling the MBA to help finance the RMBP. Yes, no? How much could I reasonably expect to lose from selling a months-old machine?

I'd just go ahead and pick up an RMBP now, but I like the 13" form factor more than the 15, and I think the 13" is crying out for Haswell.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

I hope you're right. I'm replacing my SSD with my original HDD now. My main concern is that the software problems aren't "constant", and that the hard drive otherwise appears healthy (and works fine after a reinstall). But I guess I'll find out if this keeps happening with the original disc or not.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

moondabor posted:

I found with SSDs, if the computer hibernates, it'll essentially poo poo itself. You can reinstall the OS or run DiskWarrior to fix your partition. I had a 2007 MacBook with a Sandforce SSD.
I'm certain I turned off the feature where it dumps the RAM to hard-drive when sleeping, but it's possible it got turned back on at some point. Or is there something else? Given that Apple are now shipping a majority of laptops with SSDs built-in, how do they deal with it?

Anyway, I'm back up and "running" on my 4200RPM drive. Let's see how long I last.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

benisntfunny posted:

I had a similar issue on my brand new 27inch iMac but it was the crap 3rd party I had put in there. Removing it and replacing it with less crap 3rd party RAM solved the problem.

While the explanation the people on the other forum is legit (corrupted data sent to the disk) my guess is more likely that it's the RAM writing out bad data to the disk when you're sleeping and/or hibernating the machine.

People, Apple included, really shift blame to the logic board way too fast for a lot of problems.
I'm also running 3rd party RAM, but I don't remember skimping on it. (I want to say it was Kingston?)

I was considering picking up a new SSD tomorrow (at this point, a 256gb Samsung 840 Pro) and I've been planning an upgrade to 8gb for a while now, so I might try replacing the RAM as well. I know the SSD thread specifically calls for the Intel 520 as the best Mac SSD, but I've heard it had issues with the nVidia MCP79 chipset in my Mac, and the Samsung seems next-best in terms of compatibility and performance. Hopefully, once I enable all the SSD-friendly OS X tweaks, I'll have a setup that lasts me at least until I'm ready to upgrade. (At which point my girlfriend can inherit the RAM & SSD into her ancient plastic macbook, if it's still working...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I have some hardware questions about a 2009 Macbook Pro (one of the unibody aluminum ones):

My screen started having this issue where it will begin graying out while the image stays in place (stops refreshing) until I hit it or wiggle the screen around. Could this just be a connector that got loose, or is the display itself dying? If it's a connector it seems like something that might be worth taking apart the laptop and fixing myself but I don't know. Obviously it's way out of warranty.

Second, I was looking at upgrading the memory in the laptop (before the screen issue started). It says it uses DDR3 1066 memory but it looks like there's a better selection of faster memory in terms of prices and brand names. But I can't confirm whether something like DDR3 1333 memory will work in my laptop and just downclock it to 1066 or if it won't work at all.
Oh hey there, fellow '09 MBPer.

I can't help with the screen. That hasn't happened on mine and I hope it never does.

Re: the RAM, I upgraded to 4Gb of DDR3-1333 three years ago, and it worked fine. OS X recognised it as 1333, and all was well. However, from about a month ago my computer started refusing to boot up, and the jury's still out on whether my (also three-year-old) SSD wasn't set up properly, or if it was dodgy RAM. I don't know if the faster RAM could have caused an issue with corruption three years after installation, but I've played it safe and upgraded to 8Gb of 1066 RAM anyway. At least in my situation, I didn't have to pay much more: 8Gb of 1066 RAM ran me AU$72, whereas the cheapest 8Gb 1333 kit is AU$69.

You'll probably be okay to run the faster RAM. I was fine for three years, and I'm not even convinced it was dodgy RAM in the end that did me in. I'm still playing it safe from now on, but if the price difference for you is much more than $3, there are worse gambles you could take.