Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

My kid got a MBA as an early graduation gift and she was talking about her friend's MBP the other day, marveling at the touchbar. Then she said her friend had something she could plug into her ports so she could use them and could I get her one of those.

Apparently I never sat her down to have the Birds and the Dongles talk. Kid's been using this for 4 months and hasn't been able to use her USB ports.

I don’t get it. What was wrong with the ports?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Koramei posted:

Thanks for the responses about USB hubs from before, guys.

I'm gonna be carrying an iPad Pro and 15" Macbook Pro together on the subway (basically daily); anyone in a similar situation have a bag they'd recommend? Also thoughts on messenger bags vs backpacks? I'm kind of hesitant to leave thousands of dollars of computer stuff out of sight on my back every day, but is that a needless worry? I'm new to having a subway commute so if any of you have experience with carrying your stuff like that I'd be really interested to hear about it (I'll be in New York). Wearing a backpack will definitely be easier on my shoulder.

Messenger bags are really bad for your shoulder over times. And you should take your rucksack off and put it between your legs when your on the train anyway.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Apple trackpads are amazing but touchscreens are also great. Only when you get used to using one do you miss it (and sometimes look stupid when you poke non touch screens).

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
FYI new laptops may be released in October.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
All these leaks but no event announced?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So is the possibility of new macs this year officially over? Including those EarPods?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Niche question. Does anyone know if Apple sells refurbished laptops in Denmark? Or have any advice on the best place in Denmark to buy a MacBook Pro- I need one with a danish keyboard but don’t speak the language...

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Seriously though. If the 13/14 inch MacBook Pro isn’t released in March I’m going to through a sulk.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Linguica posted:

Have you been following the news out of China lately?

I didn’t think the manufacturing areas had been hit? That being said it’s a pretty good reason.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Unless they massively increase the price of the new MacBook Pro - although I guess a £300 difference is quite a lot.

When the website says "delivering up to 40Gb/s of throughput for twice the bandwidth of Thunderbolt 2" does that mean it's sufficient for an external GPU to work with it? I know there are differences in implementation that will affect performance.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 18, 2020

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
That’s basically my situation right now. How will the theoretical 14 inch be priced for a 4 core with 16gb?

There’s not that much room between the MacBook Air and the 16inch pro.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
The 13 inch MacBook Pro refresh has been rumoured for about 6 months now.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
As a fellow ‘waiter’ it’s the stupidest thing. I’ve been putting it off since February.

I should’ve just bought it then, but I feel like I’m in too deep now.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So is there likely to be a real performance difference in the midrange Air versus the basic 13 inch Pro? I’m talking in terms of battery life, photo editing and light video editing?

I know the base model Air is the cheapest but I can’t bring myself to buy a dual core chip in 2020...

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Tasks that require sustained performance will see noticeable gains due to the significantly higher TDP limit of 25/28 watts versus 10w for the i5 in the new Air.

iirc the previous 13" Pro could still do Final Cut Pro X tasks in half the time or so.

Thanks, given how long I keep my laptops it seems like it will be worth it. One last question - are AppleCare Protection Plan and Apple Care Plus different things? I can only buy the former here in Denmark and it may not cover as much?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks all. The Air with the i5 and the Base Pro are the exact same price which is why I was deciding between the two.

I’m going to go with the pro for that extra performance as hopefully it will hold me in good stead in future.

I’ve waited so long for this to drop that my old laptop is literally falling apart :choco:

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone make a USB-C dongle with both an Ethernet port and a VGA port on it? And yes I appreciate the weirdness of buying a thunderbolt equipped laptop to step down to a 1990’s standard, but we are where we are.

HDMI and USB 2.0 included would also be great.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Godzilla07 posted:

The Dell DA300 will satisfy these requirements for around $70 on eBay

Thanks, that’s really helpful.

Pulcinella posted:

In my experience, VGA has been the standard for the 90’s, 00’s, 10’s, and probably will still be for the 20’s. Every classroom I’ve been in or taught in, every conference room old, new, or recently upgraded has had VGA. Recently you might get lucky and there is also HDMI support, but there is always VGA.

And yeah basically this, sometimes I’m in internal meeting rooms etc that work fine and nobody will ever upgrade unless they break.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
My new MacBook is running super hot when I’m just watching YouTube (like burning my legs hot). I’m hoping is just doing stuff in the background as it sets up.

(Also activity monitor is tougher to understand than process manager)

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
YouTube is what I’d be worried about on the MacBook Air, given what it randomly does to my MacBook Pro. Also a very common use case.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

existential anger posted:

[*]If 16gb of RAM is required, the price difference between a base 2020 Macbook Pro (two TB3 ports) with 16gb of RAM is $1984 AUD compared to $1709 AUD for the 2020 i3 Macbook Air with 16gb of RAM. Is there any reason why I would not opt for the Macbook Pro considering it has a better active cooling solution, two extra cores and the touch bar?
[/list]

Don’t get your hopes up about the Touch Bar. If I’m using my laptop on my lap I end up touching it by mistake relatively often.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
The new surface laptops are pretty sexy as well if you like 3:2 screens.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Hmm I'm having a weird issue with my new MacBook Pro where the screen tint will suddenly shift from more blue to more orange. It's not due to night mode (that's turned off) but it's very jarring when it happens.

Some googling seems to suggests it's happened to previous models before.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

NoDamage posted:

Anyone else experiencing screen flickering issues on the new 13-inch MacBook Pro? It was flickering out of the box, resetting the NVRAM/SMC and reinstalling macOS did not help. Seems like it might be defective in which case I will need to do an exchange.

I have so weird flickering issues but only when playing hbo Nordic in full screen. So I’m not sure if it’s the laptop or the website...

I do have some colour temperature issues though.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So turns out that if you shutdown your Mac from the menu bar it still turns on if you click the touchpad or press a key?

Is this how it’s always worked with macs i.e you don’t need to press the actual on/touch ID button?

Oh and I’ve never had a row of function keys crash on me before - the terminal commands I’ve googled to restart it don’t seem to work either - just says no matching processes were found...

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jun 17, 2020

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I’m willing to bet that like 90% of iPads sold don’t have sim slots. It’s a bit of a weird comparison.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

getting my mom to open up her settings, go to the hotspot section, go to her computer, switch wifi networks, and type that password from her phone into the computer would be a non-trivial undertaking so if she could pay extra to get a SIM card in her computer i 100% would have her do that.

If it’s the same Apple ID on both accounts it’s automatic. That being said I’m sure there’s a use for some people to have it built in.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I have a Macbook Pro 2020. I've heard a 45-watt adapter will work fine for overnight charging, but will it continue to charge in light use like streaming video or music? I'm thinking of something like this https://www.anker.com/eu-en/products/a2046?variant=41528724390078&ref=collectionBuy from anker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks!