Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Has anyone here ever substituted the optical drive in their MBPro with an SSD? Did you buy an upgrade kit, a bay? Any problems, did battery life suffer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

As my MBP enters its third year I'm starting to think about either updating or upgrading it (to a new MBP). How long do you guys take between upgrades?

It's got a 320M graphics card which is not far behind the current ones, so I could maybe wrangle a couple more years from it with 8GB of memory and an SSD.

I'd be missing out on much faster processors (I've got a 2.4GHz C2D) and retina, also integrated graphics may very well jump in quality during 2013.

I'm terrible with money, please help me make decisions

poty
Jun 21, 2008

I think videogames got the idea in my head.

80% of the time it's loving about on the internet really (it struggles a tiny bit on some bad flash sites like thedailyshow.com). The other 20% is transcoding avi to mp4 for the iThings (which it does fine), Java and ObjC development (no big complaints there either) and, lately, playing Civ V.

Civ V gets really slow in the later stages of the game and I guess I would play some more videogames if the computer was powerful enough. I bought CS:GO but had to return it because it was too sluggish to play. And I'd love to play Natural Selection 2 in VMWare if it was possible.

Then again it is rather silly to spend $1700 to play a bunch of games worth $30 combined at the moment, isn't it