Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Daric posted:

So if I'm looking at getting a 15" MBP, they're going to be releasing a new one in about 6 months? I play games a little bit but my job will require that I watch a lot of tv too and so I'll be using it for that. I should probably wait, right?

What would stop you from waiting another 6-10 months once the new ones come out? You can play this game forever. There's nothing wrong with the current MBPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

brc64 posted:

This is the sort of feedback I was looking for, thanks.

I hadn't really considered the Air, because, well, I don't know. But it probably is an option worth pursuing. When looking at refurbs, I'll try to stick with the i5/i7 series. How important is it to max out RAM? Somebody mentioned earlier that 4GB should be considered a minimum for Lion. It looks like RAM is soldered into the Airs, so I wouldn't (easily?) be able to upgrade that at a later date vs a MBP.

Just FYI, you won't see refurb i5/i7 Airs in the store for a few months, if you were considering trying to snag one of those.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

gregday posted:

Is it not possible to connect the new ACD to my older gen MacBook Pro? I have a unibody with Mini-DisplayPort, but even though the Thunderbolt cable on the new ACD uses a Mini-DisplayPort styled connector, it won't work without me having an actual Thunderbolt port? Do I have that right?

There's an Apple Cinema Display and an Apple Thunderbolt Display, two different products. The Thunderbolt display isn't the NEW Cinema Display, as the current Cinema Display is still being sold. But yes, the Thunderbolt Display requires a Thunderbolt capable Mac.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Sulk posted:

To be fair, the Air's battery life (at least the last iteration) was never really that fantastic. Everyday use always yielded me about 3-4 hours at most. I wouldn't complain too much because the form factor is wonderful, but it could be better on the whole. So my boss tells me, his (current model) 13" Air's battery life isn't too great, either.
not sure what you and your boss are doing, but I get 6-7 hours out of my late 2010 13" MBA with normal use and always have, and I know I'm not the only one.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

What external HD matches the Mac Mini the best? Is there a page with pictures?

The iomega minimax is probably closest, and it stacks: http://store.apple.com/us/product/H0815VC/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Nw

But Apple's storage section has a lot of options that fall into the Mac design: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/storage

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

I had a daisy-chainable WD FW external drive in like 2007, am I missing something special about this one in particular here?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

It just looks awesome. They've had another version of this out for a while.

I didn't even notice they'd stopped the one rounded edge design they'd been using. Huh, these look like they'd be fairly nice in a stackable config. If they're not too contoured on top, it's hard to tell from those pics if the rounding is pronounced at all.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

ptier posted:

Go open a pre-unibody MacBook Pro and understand pure pain.

crying on the floor with my twenty screws in three sizes, desperately trying to pry the bottom case off, only to find even more screws...

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Bobx66 posted:

Seems like it would be pretty easy to backtrack the release date of the air line, estimate the release cycle, compare that to their schedule of major events where they have announced products in the past and say...

Given X, X, and X, I would guess that it is likely that the product would be announced at X convention in time for X shopping season.

No rumors regarding the screen manufacturing? Nothing?

You're asking about a product that could very well never exist, not something that is guaranteed to even be announced within a year. This isn't like speculating over an iPad 3 release or ATV upgrade. This is speculating on whether Apple will actually release a product or not.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

decypher posted:

Return the RAM and get the proper speed. It may work, but it also probably won't work. And if it does work you'll have to live with the knowledge that your RAM is running 200mhz slower than your computer is capable of handling

I think he's asking if the 1600 will work, since current MBPs still ship with 1333.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Sang- posted:

asd;klregj

Apple don't do this to me. Making it harder and harder to know whether to delay getting an iMac.

Late 2011 iMac is most likely the EDU only iMac from August: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP634

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Matlock posted:

Crossposting this from C/D; Amazon has an open box (full warranty) Thunderbolt i5 21.5" iMac for $1080. I'm not in the market, but it's worth a look for the big discount from MSRP.

Actually cheaper by about $10 if you get it from the Apple refurb store. But then again you pay tax. But then again it's straight from Apple. Also they're $1030, not $1080.

Speaking of, when going to see how it compared, noticed every single Air and MBP is out of stock in the Apple Store. I've never seen them out of every single model of portable like that, so I'm wondering if they're adjusting prices.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

oxy posted:

I'm in the market for a new laptop and I've been looking at macs, specifically the macbook air.

I want something that is lightweight and that will last for a long period of time. I also do a lot of number crunching (running simulations) and I check: the software is available for macs which leads me to my first question: Is the macbook air powerful enough to run through simulation type work.

I need some help though: I'm trying to justify the price of the macbook air. What makes them so much better then other portable laptops that are generally a fraction of the price? I've never owned a mac before for this reason. If someone can come up with a justification other than OSX that would be great (and not one that says "it just works").

An Air is actually competitively priced. I can't find many laptops with ~7 hr. battery life, 128-256gb SSD, and i5-i7 processor for a "fraction" of the Air's price. $100-200 less, maybe, but then you're losing on build quality and features like trackpads, backlit keyboard, etc. Refurbished Airs have shown up recently in the Apple Store (refurbished Macs are as good as new and come with the same warranty) that cuts the price even lower. If you can show me some laptops with similar specs/build quality that are much cheaper, I can go into more differences, but the only thing I know that's really close are the Ultrabooks, and those are around $1k from what I've seen.

Edit: I should also say, a lot of the things you don't necessarily see on a spreadsheet, like the trackpad, the weight, the thinness, etc, are some of the best parts of an Air, and make it one of those "joy to use" scenarios. That and the fact I can leave mine sitting around for a few weeks without using it and know it'll pretty much instantly turn on with plenty of battery when I open the lid.

El Duke Silver fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 28, 2011

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rearadmiral.rowboat posted:

If it's a joy to use, why would you leave it sitting around for a few weeks without using it!?!?

between iMac, only being able to use the work laptop for actual work, and doing stuff after I get home, sometimes it just doesn't see a ton of use for a stretch.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

ReidStylez posted:

If it was closer to $100 I would. For now $38 for 8gb is good enough :D

$25 for 8gb on new egg yesterday. So now my iMac will have 16gb of RAM even though going from 4 to 8 didn't feel that much different. Oh well, more to throw at VMs...

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Tang_12 posted:

To hell with my Asus eepc, I say! I have a chance to pick up a mba 13 inch for $550 and want to know if this is a good deal. There are no cosmetic damages.

Specs
1.6 c2d
2 gb ram
120 gb gd

It would be my main cpu (web, writing, music) and would like to do some minor video editing eventually but may just get a mac mini down the road for that.

No. That's before the October 2010 revision. Model has no SSD, lower screen res than 2010 and beyond models, and had a few QA problems through its life. The price isn't even that great, you can probably get a 2010 for around $700-800 and it'd be a vast improvement.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Qaz Kwaz posted:

Definitely smells like a revision is coming soon. There seem to be a lot of MBA sales.

This is the last gen model. That's why it's on sale. They JUST had a revision.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Abel Wingnut posted:

Just ordered a refurbished 13.3" MBA for ~$1200 including tax. Here's hoping it works well.

:toot:
there's really pretty much no worry when it comes to refurbs from Apple.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Olivil posted:

Do refurbs quickly appear on the store after launch?

People have answered most everything else, but refurbs generally take around three months or so to hit after a refresh. Also don't get the Apple Wired Mouse. If anything get the Magic Mouse and sell it if you want a wired one. Apple Wired mouse sucks and even if you don't like the Magic Mouse there are a ton of better options.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

garrodd posted:

I guess I'm just having a hard time justifying it to myself because I've never really had any problems with non-mac versions of those things. When you factor in getting used to a new OS (haven't seriously used a Mac since the late 90s) maybe it's just not for me, which is fine. That's what I'm trying to determine.

You never have had a problem with the non-Mac versions because you've likely never spent a lot of time with the Mac versions. I cringe every time I have to use my work laptop trackpad, have to constantly remember never to sit anything next to its vents, hate dealing with illogically placed controls, etc. It's really a lot of intangible stuff that makes owning a Mac a great experience. Specs aren't really a part of it, in the end. You're almost always going to pay more, in the end, for a similarly specced MacBook Pro versus a PC. This becomes slightly less true when talking about MacBook Airs, and considering the $1000 display attached to every iMac, pretty negligible there.

One of the biggest parts of owning a Mac, in most cases, especially if build quality isn't a serious concern, is going to be OSX. A Mac is going to be the only thing to (officially) run OS X, while also running pretty much any other operating system you want to throw on it. Usually, you're buying it for OS X as much as you are for the device itself. If you're not going to use or enjoy OS X, it becomes a much easier decision. But there's an integration of software/hardware with a Mac that you don't get from PCs, and everything just feels a lot... smoother. If you're seriously considering it, I'd buy one, either from the Apple Store since I'm aware of their return policy, or from somewhere that also has a decent return policy, and use it for a solid two weeks. That will tell you if the experience is worth it or not.

Also, never pay retail for Macs. Go refurb, or MicroCenter deals, or Education Center, or Amazon first. Apple Store prices are last resort. Definitely check Apple Refurbs: they're good as new, carry the same warranty, and you'll get plenty of people advocating them from personal experience in this thread and elsewhere.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Butt Savage posted:

It's little poo poo like this that makes me want a Mac. OSX has a lot of cool features that Windows is lacking and hurts my work flow. Not sure of a word's meaning or looking or a synonym? Right click, check dictionary. No need to open a browser and go to dictionary/thesaurus.com, the OS itself has you covered.

Right Click, then scroll hit a menu option? What a waste of effort.

Three finger double tap on the trackpad. Double tap above the Apple logo on my Magic Mouse.

Edit: It's not a Safari thing. It's system wide. http://www.cultofmac.com/106505/how-to-get-a-dictionary-definition-anywhere-in-os-x-lion/

El Duke Silver fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 29, 2011

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

This 38-hour external battery for the Air (they have them for the iPad and other products)
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperJuice-External-Battery-for-MacBook-iPad-iPhone-USB-s/91.htm

etc...

Anyone have any they'd like to share?

well, making someone cut their own magsafe adapter is one way to get around the patent issue, I guess...

I saw the review for this the other day, looked kind of interesting: http://www.tuaw.com/2012/01/01/aoc-e1649fwu-portable-usb-monitor-a-good-match-for-your-macbook/

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

ZShakespeare posted:

I think he's hoping that if they charge $30 for a release every two–ish years that they'll start charging $15 for a yearly release. I think it's more likely that if you want to spend $15 yearly that you will be skipping every other release.

Is there any 13" Macbook Air cases/bags that stand above the rest? The Speck cases look pretty slick without adding significant bulk.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the program they did for Lion where if you purchased a Mac within a certain date before Lion's release, you got it for free instead of paying for the upgrade.

Of course, that was within around a month or so, and Mountain Lion isn't hitting until summer, so he's SOL.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Yeast posted:

This is wise for the 07' models. They're not overly complex, but they're a far cry from Unibodies.

it's not complex, but it's one of the biggest pains in the rear end I've ever dealt with. Be ready to remove about 50 screws, pry the body apart, and hope everything fits back together.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Destroyenator posted:

An hour ago applelaunchtimer.com was still showing new Macbook Pros in five days but it's not responding now :tinfoil:

Apple should release the new 15" MBPs on Monday with Mountain Lion pre-installed and announce that the upgrade for existing hardware won't be available until WWDC "because Ivy Bridge". Watch 15" sales get ridiculous as everyone who cares about that picks one up and pulls a large chunk of the 17" diehards ahead of it's discontinuation.

edit: it's back up. 4 days 23 hours.

if ML was finished it would hit GM on the dev site and anyone who REALLY cared about it and didn't have a dev account would pony up the $100 instead of buying a brand new machine for an OS.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

flavor posted:

First, I highly doubt that the shipper can just waive a signature that Amazon demands. Apple requires Fedex to get a signature for every single item, even if it's something for $30.

Amazon only demands a signature if the value is over $1300. Any other time a signature was required, the carrier decided it was necessary for whatever reason.

Edit: mentioned up there ^

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

You should have gotten an SSD. People talking about how 8GB made their Macbook faster don't know what they're talking about.

First step is replacing that dog-slow 320GB 5400rpm drive with an SSD.

yeah, RAM's rarely the bottleneck for day to day tasks, especially at 4GB for what you're doing. For routine stuff my 4GB of RAM Air is faster than my 16GB iMac and it's all because of the SSD (processor is also obviously faster in the iMac, as well).

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

shrughes posted:

If you sell laptops without a VGA port you're basically guaranteeing people they can plug their laptop into any monitor. We use VGA connectors at work, plugging them into Samsung Syncmasters, because our computers have only one DVI output, and the quality is indistinguishable.

your first sentence doesn't make sense and your second one lets me know you probably should get an eye exam.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Eight Is Legend posted:

Gawd, I was really hoping for 15" Air. My keyboard on my late-2008 MacBook Pro doesn't work anymore, but I'm contemplating getting it fixed and adding some more RAM to it, that might add a year or so to its lifespan.

the MBP:TNG is pretty much a 15" Air, unless you were looking for a 15" Air that followed the Air price structure.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

I use my 13" MBP at home as my main computer, able to play D3 and Skyrim, and occasionally running some CAD-like programs for getting work done. Can the 13" MBA handle these things with the video card it has?

the 13" MBP and the Airs both currently use the integrated Intel HD4000. They previously shared the same Intel HD3000. Before that they shared the NVidia 320M.

So yes, as far graphics chips, they've been the same for awhile, so if you have an older model, the Air will be better.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Astro7x posted:

Will Bootcamp partition a hard drive with data already on it? Or will it wipe the whole thing clean when it partitions? It's been quite awhile since I did a partition, and last time I did I had to format the entire drive.

it will partition a hard drive with data on it. I've never known it not to, but back when it first dropped I usually had to wipe because the drive was so fragmented it couldn't do it without a wipe, so a wipe ended up being necessary. I haven't had that problem in a while, though.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Der Shovel posted:

Are the shipping times in Apple's web store just pulled out of someone's rear end or actually accurate? My Air finally shipped just now (it quoted me 24 hours to ship when I ordered on Monday, but fair enough: I probably wasn't the only one ordering so I can understand why it'd take a while to get going), but now my "4-8 day shipping" is telling me to expect delivery on the 28th of June. Which would be amazingly slow since it's coming from Holland to Finland.

It's a bit poo poo if it'll really take that long considering our local stores got "plenty of stock" today and I could've walked in and bought one tomorrow...

Well, you could buy one and return the one you ordered.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Legdiian posted:

Now she is going to be complaining about storage space.

hoping he meant TB there.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

How long does it usually take for Apple to include the recent MBP's to be on the refurbished page?

it's generally in the 60-90 day range, usually leaning more towards 90.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

a bad poster yall posted:

Is there anything that makes the Apple Thunderbolt display so much better than its rivals? I can't really afford one and I'm looking at a 24" non Apple display instead for (hopefully around £200) but I can't really understand why the Apple one is ~£800..

But yeah, I'm not sure if this is the thread and I do apologise for the multitude of questions (I'm just stressing about the new purchase) but would anyone recommend a good 24" monitor?

in addition to what Morales said, this: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&sku=224-8284&redirect=1 is one of the few monitors (last time I checked) using the same panel as the Thunderbolt display. The only rivals I know of that are a lot cheaper than the TB display and use the same quality internals are those weird Korean offbrand ones people were grabbing from eBay and rigging up to work. Any reputable company's 27" IPS 1440p display is close to the Thunderbolt (though that Dell goes for around $750 on sale, and I think some of the other options are a little bit cheaper; but then, you're not getting the dock benefits).

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Either way, other than the SSD distorting numbers, the 13" MBP is potentially a faster machine than the 13" Air.

when has this ever been in doubt? The point has always been for day to day tasks the SSD is the improvement that makes the most difference between the Pro and the Air. Yes, if you take the SSD out of the equation the Pro is a faster machine. It has a faster/better processor.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

LA attack posted:

Quick question here, but I'm looking at getting a 2011 21.5 inch iMac with 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066 MHz DDR3, 500GB HDD and I'm wondering how this would run games like Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. I have read that it is better to run it in bootcamp, but I am looking at getting this system for around $800 so I'm wondering if you guys think that's a good deal or not.

The last iMacs to use C2Ds/1066MHz RAM were 2009 models so you might want to check on that year. the 21.5 2009 also had two different GPU options so that would affect your performance. If by some chance that was the i3 and NOT the C2D that price isn't so bad, but if it's the C2D I'd say it's high by around $200. I honestly don't know how the gaming would be on it: I'd imagine poo poo in OS X for those games on that Mac, and it'd perform like a similarly specced PC in bootcamp.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Shmoogy posted:

I think that means the outlets aren't properly grounded.

yeah, that "feeling" is usually the case of improper wiring in the building, not the fault of the computer itself.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

~Coxy posted:

The C2D Airs are complete rubbish. Never get one.

this isn't true at all. The first gens were, but the late 2010 models were excellent and great machines all around for the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Decius posted:

Yes, the C2D was amazing when it came out, that's why it pains me to say "this C2D is poo poo". My E6600 is probably still my favourite desktop CPU of all time in terms of price/performance. It overclocked like mad (800 Mhz over the standard clock) while also running 0,5 V under the standard voltage. Six years later still does it's job in my HTPC. However, it was amazing in 2006. In 2012? Not so much. And the ULV-version was - unlike today's ULV - not very well thought out, being only ULV because they reduced the poo poo out of the performance. The second generation was better, but still a far cry from the power/wattage ration we have now.

I'm not saying anyone should buy one now, but to say they were always garbage is far from the truth. At the time, they were great little machines. But no, there's no reason to get one now.