Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
What's wrong with the cube, in terms of fixable/replaceable bits? All I've done to mine is swap HDDs and ram — is this a gpu-based issue, or is it a matter of all the important bits being jammed into a tiny space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm looking for a stand to place my macbook air 13" at. The location for the stand would be ideally next to the couch on the floor, so having it be decently sturdy so my cats don't knock it over is key.

I'm looking at this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JEVHYO6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=YH2DWCTT9O0S&coliid=I2KI1TEZGTOQ3R&psc=1

I'm hung up on price, and not sure if it would be sturdy enough. Anyone here use the Arcbooks? Anything similar?

I've got one of those, and with the right insert it holds a notebook pretty securely. My 15" (2010) can wiggle a few degrees, but it won't fall out or anything (and it it didn't, it'd be pretty annoying to take the notebook out anyway). Mine's aluminum or something, so it's a pretty stable base, but it seems the wood one weighs half as much (.5lb vs 1.2lb).

I got it because it takes up far less desk space in clamshell mode, and it certainly works brilliantly at that. Are you just using it to hold the notebook, or are you going to be plugging things into it. Because if it's the latter, I'd be more concerned about the cats loving with all the cables more than flat-out toppling it.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

This is just kind of a random thought involving Apple, but does anyone remember when the Apple Store was a nice place to go? I remember really enjoying browsing and shopping there like 8 years ago. I'd seriously rather go to the DMV these days.

Yeah, but back then Apple made those weirdo computers for artists; and that poo poo can't even run Battlefield or Tribes. Plus, they gently caress up the formatting in my spreadsheets. So yeah, you'd stop in if you need a firewire cable (or some other mostly mac-specific hardware) or to play with those sweet lampshade iMacs, but it wasn't a loving zoo like they are now.

What I really miss are those little brochures they had for the various models. I think I still have some tucked away somewhere, actually. Those were pretty great.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

japtor posted:

My brother mentioned the dock icons on his MBP were missing so I asked him to take a pic:

He restarted and it was still like that I guess, he mentioned clicking on them made them show up. Could this be a hardware thing or just something like jacked up icon caches for the dock?

The last update for Yosemite messed up some of my dock icons, but differently — Terminal had Safari's icon, folders had random icons. Onyx didn't help, and while the icons would be fixed if I opened the program, quitting it would send them back to their broken state. What fixed it for me was the (tedious, since you have to drag halfway across the drat screen now) action of removing each icon and then dragging the application back to the dock. Hopefully that'll fix it.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

movax posted:

My 2010 MBP (i7-620M) runs like dogshit with Safari -- I find it really hard to believe a Nehalem CPU can't be snappy browsing websites, even with the obscene amounts of client-side JavaScript going on. Coupled with the OS generally being slow/laggy when switching apps and sliding stuff around, I wonder if the lovely Intel iGPU from this generation also isn't sucking it up. I've got 8GB of RAM and a Samsung 850SSD so I've done about all I can.

Entire OS just feels "slow" -- I wonder if I shouldn't burn the fucker to the ground and clean install El Capitan. At this point I've lost track of all the little customizations I've done over the past 6 years, so maybe it's time to start over and write down everything I do (it was my first Mac, so I just Google searched random tips and tricks and tried them all out! :downs:)

Console is a decent place for debug information, are there any other built-in profilers or such I can run to see who/what the gently caress is making it run like a P4 from 10 years ago?

I have the same setup, but with half the ram and a regular HD. Safari is perfectly quick, once it's started — it takes maybe 30s once the first window is drawn for it to remember it has a history (the list is empty) or start loading search hits for whatever I've typed into the address bar. The only exception to it being generally quick is t.co links, which helpfully won't load unless I hammer cmd-r for a bit. To get it to run that lovely, I'd need to leave something like twitter open for days, so it eats up all the ram or something. Maybe leave activity monitor open and change its icon to a CPU meter or something, see if there isn't some stray process doing something in the background?

Sometimes if everything's running lovely, a quick trip to activity monitor'll show that mds has decided it dearly needs to reindex poo poo or something. Of course, I'm not sure how much of an impact that has on usability with an SSD, but that might be worth peeking at.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

1st AD posted:

It once took me like an hour to replace the hard drive on a G4 Powerbook, I am not sure anything else could ever be that awful.

I have a perfectly working iBook except for the goddamn speakers, because it's basically impossible to plug them back in and keep everything flat.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Snowmankilla posted:

3) I will put my music in my username folder. Thanks! I am just struggling on how finder works. That I cannot find things like my username folder when I am in finder makes me feel like I am missing something huge somewhere.

If you're looking for a common location, like Home, Documents, Applications, you can probably find it in the Go menu if you're in Finder. Similarly, cmd+shift+[letter] tends to take you to places, if you are in Finder or in most file dialogs. H for home, D for Desktop, A for Applications, C for Computer (this is only really useful if you have drives plugged in you want to get to), K for Network.

Also I'm pretty certain the new default for Finder is to open new windows to All Files or something stupid like that. That's not really going to help you much if you're trying to actually navigate, but you can change the default "new window" location for Finder in the application Preferences' General tab (that's Finder>Preferences, not View>Options, just to be clear).

Incidentally, there should already be a ~/Music folder, and if you were to use iTunes or whatever, it'll (if you let it) import everything to ~/Music/iTunes Library (or something like that). But I'm not sure if that (or any folders, really) show up in something like All Files view, because that's not at all useful.

Oh, and since someone mentioned turning on "Show Path Bar," it's worth noting that you can just double click anything in it to jump there, so if you're in ~/Documents/Powerpoints/2014/April and want to jump to ~/Documents/Powerpoints, you can just click the Powerpoints folder in the bar, rather than cmd+up twice.

Also helpful for navigation is using Column View (cmd+3, in Finder). That way, you can [generally] see higher-level directories to the left. It's useful for if you're not sure what's in various directories and the like, or don't need the extra metadata available in list view. I think it might sometimes not let you keep scrolling left until you hit the disk's root directory, if you were to start from your home folder though, but if you want to go to a higher directory than what you're in and can't scroll left, cmd+up'll still work and take you higher.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

It would be nice if they'd left the esc key alone, at the least. Like, that and the mute key are the keys that you'd probably hit the hardest, and a touchpad isn't really great for that.

Also given the quality of bootcamp drivers, I guess I hope you never need to use any of those keys in windows, because that's probably going to be a shitshow.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

The forums don't look that weird in classilla anyway.

Cream posted:

There is a permanent fix for the 2010 15". Requires soldering a new capacitor on the logic board. I did it myself. Runs like a charm.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/gpu-kernel-panic-in-mid-2010-whats-the-best-fix.1890097/

Thanks for this, even with just the SW fix, this 2010 is working better than it has in years.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What the heck is the second button here in the Page Break shortcut in Pages :thunk: ?

Is it Page Up on a full keyboard?

I think it's Enter.

Not return, Enter.

fe: Yeah, Enter. On my mbp, that's fn-cmd-return.

Does apple even sell a keyboard with a return key? It used to be on the numpad (or where the right option key is, but that's even longer ago), but I haven't looked in ages so I don't know if they even sell a keyboard with a numpad anymore.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

It was always kinda annoying when something would create a folder off in some random corner of your Applications folder, though. But on the plus side, you could probably arrange your folders like they were in a hanging file, if you were an insane person. Personally, I just have everything that isn't the desktop in list view.

I guess the default is none?

Not that it necessarily matters, since I'm sure it's still a crapshoot whether the view options actually stick or not. Then again, I also cannot remember the last time I had a perfectly new, from stock OS install. I bet my preferences folder has stuff from PPC apps in there, still.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

Anyone work with multiple inputs? I turned on the "CAPS LOCK switches to and from U.S." feature except it never actually switches my languages... Enabling ^space does work.

Is that a new thing in Sierra/HS? On El Cap (and below) the only time I've seen an option like that is in Kotoeri/Japanese. There, it doesn't switch between languages, it just changes the japanese input method to whatever you have it set to do (typically switching to katakana or romaji with caps on).

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

I only have the new macbook touch pro I use for work at the moment, but I remember my home macbook pro (think i'm on el cap as well, definitely hasn't been upgraded to high sierra) would switch between chinese/english by tapping capslock.

I mean the option says, "Use the caps lock key to switch to and from the U.S."

I don't see that anywhere, even under the pinyin settings. But I also haven't had fewer than three keyboards in like a decade, so maybe that's why. Looking under shortcuts, the only input source options are previous and next input source.

You might get more bites in the software thread, although I assume there's plenty of overlap between the two anyway.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Those do target disk mode over thunderbolt, right? That shouldn’t use the discrete card, so unless there’s something else wrong you can copy stuff over. Won’t be as convenient as cloning the drive, through.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I don't really recall hearing too much of a fuss being made over Macbooks, just the Pros. But it does seem that they use the same GPU, so I imagine they might have the same issue.

This should link to post no. 20 in a macrumors thread. At the bottom of that post are a ton of kexts which replace the original power management kext for the gpu (also a program that'll do that for you, if you'd prefer). These don't let the GPU flip to its highest-power mode, so it won't kernel panic. The downside there is that a) the GPU's performance is obviously reduced, and b) you have to replace the kext after every system update.

You could also replace the problem capacitor, I guess. But like I said, I don't know if this actually applies to the macbooks as well.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

You won't need one of those ridiculous "distraction free" writing apps when your web browser can't talk to any site using https!Understandably, this is more about using OS9 and classilla. Tenfourfox is perfect

My old iBook still works fine (I even re-connected the speakers a year after I replaced the harddrive!). My first gen macbook pro loses wifi after it gets slightly warm, roughly five minutes after booting. It's even worse in windows, since it basically immediately sets to cooking itself and then bluescreens.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

I found a charger for $11 shipped to my door so we'll see what this baby can do in about 7 to 10 days. I may still have the restore CD's for Jaguar.

WTF was the official browser before Safari? IE for Mac? Netscape? Comedy Lynx option?

If I buy a new keyboard then I'll be spending about half what the iBook is worth. I may try and remove the keyboard and run it via a USB input providing it can even recognize anything made in the last decade. I think that's some kind of video out port on the side and Lord knows I have a vast selection of random proprietary Apple video-out adapters.

Is that a G3? My G4 doesn't have that little reset button… Anyway, depending on your OS version, it would come with Netscape, or IE, or some combination of the two. Assuming you want to actually visit a webpage that has been updated since 1998, however, you'll probably want something more modern (although IE 5.whatever works surprisingly well). If you drag yourself up to Tiger or Leopard, you want TenFourFox (the processor-appropriate version, of course), otherwise Classilla is the most modern version you'll get (it's technically an OS 9 browser, but it's probably your best bet if you're on Panther or earlier. It isn't updated nearly as often as TenFourFox, though. Its icon is also way, way better)

I want to say that video-out is mini-vga, but I don't remember. I'm pretty sure around then they actually shipped with a vga adapter, because I can't imagine having gone out of my way to get one myself, and I know I have one somewhere. If you're that curious, lowendmac.com will be glad to tell you in detail.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yes, when I was staging a g4 iMac several years ago iCab was the only PPC app that was still even remotely up to date.

It’s a little remarkable how quickly PPC apps disappeared.

Yeah, iCab remained useful surprisingly long, but I think I was running into security issues last time I tried using it. I think the problem is it has modern-enough security capabilities that they're recognized, but not modern enough for most https sites to be willing to use.

What's really remarkable to me is that people are still churning out PPC stuff. It's mostly browsers, like tenfourfox, and roccat browser for some reason still has a ppc build. (I'd recommend that, but it works off webkit, so you need to do a lot of fiddling with leopard webkit to get it to recognize certificates and stuff). And there's usually someone fighting with mplayer and stuff to get youtube functional. Hell, a couple years back someone cracked coreplayer so there's a nice, lightweight video player. (Also VLC churned out a ppc release like five years ago, for some reason).

It is really annoying is how quickly PPC apps fell off the face of the internet, though. If it's not on macintosh garden, you're probably never going to find a copy of whatever software you vaguely remember liking.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

japtor posted:

Mouse wise, it’s probably not too hard to set it to pairing mode every time, but might be tricky or at least annoying to connect on the Mac mini...cause you don’t have a mouse built in to go to the Bluetooth menu and hit connect.

CTRL-F8 (and fn if you need it to bypass media keys or whatever) will get you to the menubar items. Might need to press ctrl-f1/turn on the shortcuts in system preferences > keyboard > shortcuts > keyboard

Incidentally, F2 is the menubar itself, F3 is dock

It’s nice that you can more or less navigate OS X by keyboard, but you can tell it took apple ages to allow it by the rather awkward keyboard shortcuts.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Honestly iTunes 1.0 was the best release

I might start listening to music again if I could download it somewhere

You can find 2 on macintosh garden, at least.

How well does space grey stuff hold up? I'm looking at this rather old MBP of mine, and it's certainly got a bunch of scratches and the horribly sharp edge along the front has been worn down to something decidedly less sharp. This doesn't look terrible on a regular silver/aluminum one, because they're still more or less the same color, but how do scratches on space grey stuff look?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Is there a good thread, or website for vintage Macs? I have a 1998 iMac with OS 9.2 and want to see how far I can go with this computer with upgrading its ram, and hard drive space, and getting the internet working on it. So I am looking for a good resource for help and asking for advice.

Low End Mac is always a good starting point for that sort of thing.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

My entirely arbitrary rule of thumb is to match the PPC G number to OS X's version number. So this G3 imac I have burried somewhere in the basement has 10.3, 10.4 on a cube, and 10.5 on a G4 ibook, because that's as high as it'll go and the ram's maxed on thatplus that's a g4/7450, so that almost fits the pattern.

I feel like my imac is a 300-something g3 and at least 128mb ram, 10.3 ran fine on it. Either way, your real problem is going to be software, especially for internet access. Since a lot of the web is on https, you're going to run into issues where old browsers won't have the right encryption types to actually work with anything. If you could get 10.4 running acceptably, you could use tenfourfox or dig around for the various projects that update webkit so safari's useable. But for anything less than 10.3 (including 9!), I think your only real option's going to be classilla

Of course, if by internet access, you mean irc or something, you can ignore all of that.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I have a 2012MBP 15" where suddenly the trackpad is registering all sorts of random inputs. It's jumping around, randomly clicking and so on. It does this even on the login/safe mode login screens, so it doesn't seem to be a rogue program or anything like that. I assume it's a hardware problem.

Is a 2012 still new enough that apple'll actually touch it? It seems to be, assuming they've kept their vintage list up to date. Is this a model where the trackpad/battery (if that's the issue) can be replaced without having to replace the entire topcase?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

For some reason, there seems to be like a half dozen blank windows of chrome when I go into Expose. They clutter up the arrangement of the windows and make it more difficult to select the one I want because they are all smaller than they need to be. I see there's an option to group by the application in Expose so I'm going to try that.

Pretty sure that won't help, it'll just cluster all the chrome windows into a little pile so you have an easier time selecting the right application. What you want is "app exposé," rather than "mission control." (That seems to be what they're calling it these days, at any rate). One shows all the windows for a given app, one shows all the windows open on that desktop.

ArcticZombie posted:

I think this is one of those differences where you're either going to have to embrace a different way of doing it, or be endlessly frustrated that it doesn't work the same. I don't think constantly minimising/maximising windows is the macOS way. The combination of the four finger swipe up/down, the three/four finger (depending on if you've enabled three finger drag to click+drag) swipe left/right, cmd+tab, and cmd+` is the macOS way. If I'm using a mouse though, I use hot corners or extra buttons on the mouse to activate these features.

They should put windowshade back in, imo. Way better than minimizing.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

This keychron i'm using works just fine. Backlighting is nice for when you get a keyboard with things like the pg up/down, home, and end keys in a row and don't quite know where they are. Also for finding a keyboard in the dark.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Thank you! It's build number 10A432, which oddly enough doesn't tell me if it's 10.6.0 or later.

Should I just find a Leopard ISO and try that since it's older? Or should I actually find something newer?

1. You can't install an older version of os x than what shipped with the machine, it will just refuse.
2. Like someone said, if the first disk loaded the installer, one of the menu bar options should have Disk Utility in it. Select that, and double-check that you've formatted the disk as HFS+ (Journaled).
3. Look around somewhere like the internet archive for an imac recovery disk or os x restore disk, if you can find one of those that should work better than a retail disk. Or you could try one of the installers on macintosh garden, I've had good luck with those (although that was for much older hardware).

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

anothergod posted:

It's pretty wild to me that the trackpad hasn't turned into a display, tbh. Also, now i'm looking for mobile apps that let me use my phone as a trackpad next to my keyboard.

Better touch tool has an ios app that'll do that. It also lets you set up shortcuts and stuff as buttons. It's a pretty okay side benefit.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Drag lock is the best, except it has made me unable to select text in windows with a trackpad.

Who wants to hold down a button while they trudge through folders to move a file.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

japtor posted:

I saw a post elsewhere recently about them, depends which older one I guess? 2016 vs 2019:

"For what it's worth, I've heard far, far, far fewer complaints of misbehavior from the 2019 revision of the UF5K (27MD5KL) than the original 2016 version (27MD5KA). Anything in the channel at this point should be the L version. Tiny sample size, but neither of mine has ever misbehaved, and both have quite good panel quality (though the 2021-build one is noticeably better than the 2019-buiild one)."

I feel like rarely use the thumb to click/drag at this point but it still works fine on the Magic Trackpads :shrug:

I forget, is that done with tap tap-drag? If so the main issue I've always had is that it adds a delay on regular tap clicks, or something like that that throws me off (since I only tap to click).

(...or it's an independent option that works with the superior three finger drag and I just completely forgot)

Is that what causes that absurd delay? I assumed that was just osx being stupid about tap clicks. But yeah, it's double-click, drag, click. Much better if you run out of space on the trackpad, or need to scroll a window to find the right folder to drop/spring, rather than hoping you don't hit the timeout and drop whatever you were dropping somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

I like the magic mouse but holy gently caress the right click is flaky as gently caress for some reason.

Is it like the mighty mouse, where the right click only really works reliably if you've got two fingers on it?No, I'm not sure how that works; I don't think the mighty mouse has pressure sensors, but iirc that was the trick