Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nothing cooler than seeing goons act hyperbolic and inflammatory about scratching a laptop or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: NM

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Please follow best practices while wrapping the cord:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201600

Aesthetic vs. practical design at its best

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

arbybaconator posted:

$350

Source: Just replaced mine.

Where at? My 15" 2014 MBP has an annoying chip in the screen from closing the lid on a grain of dirt or something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BobHoward posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time I've seen this posted, and frankly, jesus christ, just stop. This exists:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0X2AM/A/usb-c-to-lightning-cable-1-m

I mean I know right now ITT it's basically a competition to see who can vomit out the hottestdumbest takes about how Apple / the Mac is over, but really? Up your games, shitposters. How on earth could you think that making a lightning to USB C cable would be just too tough to manage?

(Also, hint, this cable is not a new product. The reason for it to exist has been around since March 2015; this isn't Apple's first USB C only laptop.)

Oh, I didn't realize the correct cable and dongle actually do come with the iPhone 7. If I buy a new MacBook will it come with a nice pouch to store my dongles in?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FCKGW posted:

What the gently caress does any of this mean? The cord lies on the table, it's not in the way. Are you guys just inventing imagined scenarios to bitch about now?

Why are you constantly posting as if you're on the verge of a panic attack

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BobHoward posted:

I cannot watch more than a few seconds of the asshat techbro in this video without wanting to put a spike through my eyes.

Do his muscles intimidate you

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BobHoward posted:

youtube techbro,

What else besides his muscles do you find so offensive

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Windows 10 press conference

Python Conference

These random developer dudes

just imagine how much more productive all these people are going to be with an iPad lmao

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tablets loving suck for web browsing and everything else people act like they kick a laptop's rear end at

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is this a common issue with mid-2014 15" MBPs w/ integrated graphics?

It came on suddenly tonight and was a little surprising. I do still have a valid AppleCare protection plan, luckily.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

eames posted:

Are those many individual stuck pixels? I had that appear slowly over the years on my 2013 15" rMBP.
It was image retention related because I could see the shapes of the content displayed in the stuck pixels. Fortunately they replaced the display for free because the antireflective coating peeled.

It was a green tint all over the screen, which developed into the shape of two burnt-in green windows after a reboot.

After a few more reboots and an hour of waiting the screens went back to normal :iiam:

Best guess after googling is that I introduced static electricity with a microfiber cloth.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wow please don't be a jerk to Best Buy (TM)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Biodome posted:

My problem with Apple maps is that the search was awful. You could search for something and it would give you a result of something with a similar name in a different state or country even. It was good if you knew the address already, though.

This still happens. I've had it come up with a location in Africa instead of searching nearby in the US. More frequently, it'll pull up other states for locations within 20 miles of me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just bought the laptop with the physical top row upgrade.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Totally Huge posted:

I saw a post on reddit claiming that a 14” MBP would follow up the 16 early next year. This seems like a logical conclusion to make but have there been any more substantial claims on the this?

A 14” screen in a 13” chassis would be pretty nice.

It must be true because I would buy one immediately

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The sheer balls of calling a reversion to a traditional keyboard design "magic"

I'm in for a 14" whenever it comes out

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

NEVER buy a gen1 apple product

I'll have enough credit card points to pay for most of one by next summer

This is the 11th year of products in the popular unibody MacBooks Pro line

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What's the word on the difference between 4gb and 8gb of VRAM for the 5500M on the 16" MBP? If I get this thing I would like to do some travel gaming on it but I'm unsure how likely it is I would actually hit that cap before bottlenecking somewhere else.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

They don't have boot camp drivers yet

https://youtu.be/cqNYmIVCfyM

Based on the description, that guy compares the 5300 with 4gb to the 5500 with 8gb. I'm talking about comparing the 5500 with 4gb to the 5500 with 8gb.

I don't normally game in Bootcamp. Half of my Steam library supports MacOS.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

enojy posted:

I wouldn't think 8GB vs 4GB would have any appreciable effect strictly within the realm of gaming performance. The GPU will surely run out of juice before the VRAM does.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It matters. There’s a few Youtube demos of the three available GPUs and I think BareFeats went into them.

This is killing me...I'm looking at the base model and thinking "This is pretty good, but for only $100 more I can get this... and for only $100 more I can get that..." and one thing leads to another leads to a $6,000 charge.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I pulled the trigger on the 16" MBP w/ 5500 Pro and while it's extremely less-portable compared to my 2017 13" MBP it is nice to be able to do schoolwork on the couch without squinting at everything and constantly rearranging windows for optimum real estate.

The new keyboard actually took a lot of time to get used to. It feels nice but my fingers were so used to the shallow keys on the 2017 keyboard that they weren't lifting high enough to move properly.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

Any USBC cable deals today? I could use another 6 foot cable for my 13" pro.

I'm gonna order these chochacho-tech ones I guess: https://www.amazon.com/CHOETECH-Bra...75056801&sr=8-3

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fallom posted:

I'm gonna order these chochacho-tech ones I guess: https://www.amazon.com/CHOETECH-Bra...75056801&sr=8-3

Trip report:

I just got these in and they seem to be charging at 60W, not 100W, but I suppose I don't actually know if the 16" MBP tries to charge at 100W all the time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My OLED C7 has a dynamic brightness function that cannot be turned off through the TV settings and it drove me crazy when using it with an HTPC. It would alternate between bright and dim when scrolling through webpages. I wouldn’t use it as a PC monitor unless the new ones got rid of that.

You can turn off ASBL in the service menu and supposedly that helps but you may blow up the tv :shrug:

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 9, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ItBreathes posted:

As best I can tell the primary use case for iMacs is as POS computers for fancy salons / other business looking to look upmarket.

I love the $1100 iPad solely running Square

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Those refurb dollars aren't worth the goodwill of just letting them keep it.

Influencer: I love my Apple product I've been using for the last year. Go Apple!

==

$refurb money

They say that anyway as long as Apple keeps sending them things. These computers are expensive enough that I don't play Apple for pulling them back.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So do I

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Well yeah, no poo poo if you assign 128gb to a Windows VM or whatever it goes away. "Are you going to do VMs or not?" is a question that leads down two completely separate paths for use cases and general experience with different RAM configurations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The touch bar lets me access a bunch of shortcuts while in focus mode in Word and that's pretty cool

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Get a thinkpad, the computer specifically designed for you weirdos

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I actually had an ok time using my 16" MBP in coach on a couple United flights last week

It's a little unwieldy but the screen real estate makes it far less of a pain to work on in a hotel room than the 13"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You can use any keyboard you like with a Macintosh home computer

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Can I just say that the stupidest thing about modern Mac hardware is that there is no immediate feedback of any kind to the power button when you first turn the computer on.

Like if it's a MBP with the integrated fingerprint reader/power button. I shut down the computer, then press the button to turn it back on. Did it "take"? Do I have to wait several seconds before pressing the button before it will "take"? Do I have to hold down the button for a second or two before it will "take" or can I just tap it? Because I won't know for another 10 seconds or so anyway before the Apple logo shows up on the screen to tell me it worked. Where the gently caress is the BONG? Or failing that, a light somewhere? Turn the screen on immediately? ANYTHING?

This is insane for a computer company whose products are being put in front of a person whose first impression of the thing is a mystifying "turning it on the first time" experience. From the moment they go to power it on it makes them feel like an idiot. And this is coming from someone who's been using the drat things since 1988

Sometimes it seems to take forever to turn on, or at least longer than normal. That’s always a clencher.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hed posted:

I carry my MacBook Air, apple power brick, some headphones, dongles, etc. with me all over the place. I'm tired of pulling out a big spaghetti mess from my backpack to get the cable I want.

Can anyone recommend a cable organizing bag (I don't need to carry/protect the MBA).

I was looking at this organizer from Bagsmart: https://www.bagsmart.com/collections/travel/products/universal-cable-organizer

but it looks like the square-ish Apple power adapter wouldn't have a place to live.

I really like this one:

BUBM Universal Bilayer Travel... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C8JW9RW?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It has a little pouch in the back for bulky items.

Edit: oh no they don’t make it anymore :(

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Touch bar shows you controls when you're using Word in focus mode. God's perfect use case.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

101 posted:

😏 but also yeah. It's a laptop. You're gonna be using the screen constantly. 3" is a world of difference in productivity for some people

Yeah it was a huge difference to me. I loathed using my 13” MBP for schoolwork and the 16” feels massively better.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My 16" let itself go under load without ever turning the fans on, making it just a little toasty. I rebooted and the fans still didn't spin up. I downloaded Macs Fan Control and the fans started working again, then seemed to work as expected once I closed the program.

Is this a known issue? I didn't see much when searching.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

xgalaxy posted:

Any tips for making touchpad not absolutely suck poo poo in bootcamp?

You can install these precision touchpad drivers: https://github.com/imbushuo/mac-precision-touchpad/releases They have some quirks but they're way better than the vanilla experience.

There's also Trackpad++ but the DRM model gives me extremely weird vibes and the software seemed to suck total rear end when I tried it a few weeks ago.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

I wonder how backed up the Apple stores will be once they re-open, I need a battery replaced in my 8+

It’s going to be a complete shitshow