Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

this might've been an answered question back when the new 13s were announced, but what's with the apparently different cpu in the base model 13? feels like most outlets have been saying it's the same 8th gen but it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

This is what Everymac has listed

2019 MacBook Pro 13" "Core i5" 2.4 Touch 2.4 GHz Core i5 (I5-8279U)
2019 MacBook Pro 13" "Core i5" 1.4 Touch 2 TB 31.4 GHz Core i5 (I5-8257U)

2020 MacBook Pro 13" "Core i5" 2.0 4 TB 32.0 GHz Core i5 (I5-1038NG7)
2020 MacBook Pro 13" "Core i5" 1.4 2 TB 31.4 GHz Core i5 (I5-8257U)

ope, must've been looking at the 2018 model in that case.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Last Chance posted:

iOS has always been a fork of macOS. We are probably seeing the great Merge now.

they're pretty different behind the scenes now, afaik.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I have two computers, but it’s because I have a desktop with a GPU that isn’t rear end and a laptop that’s able to do most anything else I want it to do, wherever I want it to.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

so what you're saying is neither of them are macs
hey only one of them isn't a mac!!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

it's an incredibly bad value and seems like a bad buy unless you absolutely need a powerful discrete gpu on the go in a mac. amd's about to replace this generation of gpus in a few months anyway.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Apple buying Epic at the time that Tencent did would’ve made close to zero sense, other than “we bought the whole thing so we could get the little part of the studio that made Infinity Blade”

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

SourKraut posted:

Then it means the design is compromised, since what's the point of a pro-focused tower that can't handle actively cooler graphics cards.

...if passive cooling keeps the card at the same temps as the smaller, actively cooled version, how is that compromised?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

getting my mom to open up her settings, go to the hotspot section, go to her computer, switch wifi networks, and type that password from her phone into the computer would be a non-trivial undertaking so if she could pay extra to get a SIM card in her computer i 100% would have her do that.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

prom candy posted:

Can anyone recommend a USB-C hub that can deliver power and run two monitors? Can a single USB-C port off the 16" macbook pro output 2x 2560x1440@144hz? If I need to use two USB-C ports that's fine, I just want to be able to run power, monitors, and the out to my shared USB-A hub all from one side of my laptop.

i have a samsung crg9 that's 5120x1440@120hz, i'm using a thunderbolt > displayport adapter and it works fine.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

M1s also can't seem to drive some ultrawide displays as well..

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212027

Apple promises an update which means it's a software fix; I've seen some people say they got it to work just by using SwitchRes..

same, my samsung crg9 would report 1080 ultrawide as the max res. i updated to the 11.2 beta and used switchresx and i can get full resolution but only via thunderbolt (in my case, going to displayport), so. not ideal but it works.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Do Apple GPU drivers support variable and high refresh rates for third party displays? Do their own displays support it?

Variable, not sure. High refresh, yes. Apple’s display is 60 hz with no VRR, from what I know but I’m not positive.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i have two questions: what and why

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

the problem is if i'm spending 50 hours in original sin 2, i'm going to know the keyboard shortcuts, so why would i ever use that

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

apple’s BTO upgrade prices have always been pretty wild and have almost never been comparable to what parts are available for at retail, fwiw.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

if you didn’t want somebody to accidentally see those tabs in the zoom call then you probably shouldn’t have had them open during a work meeting, just saying

lookit zoom cop over here, sorry officer!!!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Fedule posted:

lmao only the 4-port iMac has the ethernet power brick

Honestly, it makes a sense of sorts, the kind of person who's going to care a lot about ethernet is probably going to be inclined to get the higher-end version anyway, but it's still funny that Apple is Like This.

the base imac doesn’t come with the touchid keyboard either. they’re add-ons if you don’t want/need to pony up for the more expensive model.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

Idk, I find these sorts of discussions endlessly fascinating but I really don’t want to have them in the Mac Hardware thread.

this is a lot of words to be real weird about iphone colors, and it feels weird to say that apple’s i guess been consciously putting what you would call “girly” colors on the cheaper phones. did this idea of “girly” colors not die like, 15 years ago when it was en vogue for guys to wear pink?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

not really, no. but I already know that you’re not interested in having a good faith discussion about it if that’s the line of questioning you’re gonna go with.

like, again—wrong thread for this conversation to begin with, but I have zero interest in breaking down “frequently discussed topics in Gender Studies 101” with the sort of goon who thinks he’s debunked that entire line of dialogue because he remembers how frat boys got really into pastels and K-Swiss around the mid-2000s
lol i mean i guess you got me on one thing, i have no interest in a good faith discussion about the ways in which marketing reinforces gender stereotypes in the mac hardware thread

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

LRADIKAL posted:

Pink is still a girl color most of the time. Besides, if you don't want to talk about style in the Mac thread, I bet you keep your PC in the living room, peasant.

you take that back !!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

is there any hint as to whether it was an issue with how wear was being reported or whether it was actually writing an inordinate amount of data?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I get why someone makes that video because that’s absolutely going to get clicks, but it would be loving embarrassing if the Intel CPU that can use up to 250W under intense loads got the pants beat off it by an M1 that uses like 4.5x less power.
I mean, it’s still kind of an embarrassing performance for Intel but that’s not really Apple-specific these days.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

LionArcher posted:

Yes and I wouldn’t be shocked if windows was apart of next weeks demos. Microsoft is the one needing to do the work here. If I were them I’d be eager to get parallels running as smoothly as possible.

probably not a thing when microsoft has just started teasing a new version of windows

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

the m1 is the entry level soc on the entry level laptops and an imac, why does it need to beat an alder lake i7?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

A heads up, there is a separate iPad thread if you have follow ups

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I too want a bad tablet and bad laptop all in one!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yeah, the M1 is entry level and I think people might’ve gone a bit overboard on praise a bit, but it is a computer perfectly capable of flying through basic tasks such as: typing

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i've fallen too hard down the mechanical keyboard rabbit hole, but the mx keys is absolutely the keyboard apple should be making imo.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

It supports it fine, just one via HDMI and the other Thunderbolt 🤷‍♂️

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Three Olives posted:

Anyone have much experience with DisplayLink with M1s?

from what i've heard it sucks rear end and there's no guarantee it'll continue to work.

also lol

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The Surface Go also sucks rear end at running Windows software, unfortunately.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

the mac will never get a consistent pipeline of AAA games, and i think “well what if we just proactively crowdfunded it” grossly underestimates the cost of the whole venture. it’s not JUST porting that costs money.
there are very few big budget games anymore that don’t have some sort of ongoing content development via DLC/expansions/season passes, a fair number are starting to embrace the idea of crossplay when it comes to multiplayer (or, say, strike deals with epic which is fraught on apple platforms at the moment), and you’d need teams for support, troubleshooting, fixing bugs, all to potentially coordinate with a main studio to roll out combined patches and keep versions in line with each other.
this isn’t even starting to venture into custom tools and workflows, plugins and middleware that may need to be retooled to work with a new platform, etc.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

pyrotek posted:

Agreed. Every single M1 is a capable gaming machine, and every successor will be better. There are, or will be soon, tens of millions of these out in the wild, in the hands of people with money. It might take a few years, but soon there will be too much potential profit out there for hugely expensive AAA games to NOT support Apple Silicon.

This will have a knock-on effect on PC, as AMD and Intel will have to start adding capable iGPUs to their processors to compete.
i’ve gotta assume this is a satirical post but in case it’s not: i think you’re grossly overestimating precisely how capable the M1 is for running “AAA games” and nobody seriously playing big budget games is going to do so on an iGPU. also amd is unlikely to attempt to cannibalize their gpu business like that.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Tenacious J posted:

I think all your points are valid, but the thing is there’s likely a huge number of potential AAA game players who aren’t “serious” about it. Even the questions about using the M1 for gaming, as well as iGPUs in general, have been asked more and more often, which must reflect some demand. Isn’t the Steam Deck an iGPU?
the steam deck is $400, very likely not someone’s only outlet, (theoretically) runs games you’ve already bought on steam, and above all else isn’t out and nobody knows if valve’s gamble will pay off. on the technical side, it is an AMD APU that seems solid enough AFAIK? it’s pushing a lot fewer pixels than the mbp, but i’d keep expectations modest.
not saying there’s NO demand, obviously there is, but people underestimate how a) expensive games are and b) how risk averse major publishers have become. the idea that there are enough people with M1 pro/max model MBPs who are willing to spend $60+ regularly enough and in high enough numbers to make the financials make sense is one that companies aren’t rushing to test.

BobHoward posted:

Same can be said for the M1 Pro and Max GPUs. Even the plain M1 GPU is quite good.

Sooner or later people are going to have to unlearn the decades of Intel-induced disdain for integrated GPUs. There's no fundamental engineering problem preventing an iGPU from being good.
physical size and standardization are barriers for companies like intel and amd when it comes to designing cpus. for purpose-built designs, there’s obviously a lot more flexibility since the product is being designed as a whole rather than as a part that needs to fit into someone else’s product that they don’t make.
the M1’s gpu is good for things like efficiency and cost compared to competition, in terms of raw power it’s equivalent to a 5 year old GPU that was low midrange when it was released.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Fats posted:

The dumbest thing is that it's also 2.0 on the M1 Mini, while also being the only way to hook up a second monitor.

I'm not sure that's correct!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

those pesky doom clones!!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I'm already pretty uncomfortable with my iphone and suspicious ads showing up after discussing something with my friends (might be their phones, or ???)

Good news is it's not phones listening or watching you. Bad news is that it's remarkably trivial to do the same stuff without needing to do that.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I agree with ok comboomer and think it’s not a very good deal.
that said: gently caress that’s some bad posting.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Taima posted:

So I've been messing with Stage Manager and I don't know if I'm sold. I can see it... maybe... being cool with an external monitor, but I have the latest 12.9 inch iPad Pro, and the loss of workspace is hard to deal with.

There's basically zero way you could use this on anything but the largest ipad pro and even then it's a pretty tremendous sacrifice.

Could someone use Stage Manager on a smaller than 12.9 inch ipad Pro and report back, because I'm guessing its hilariously unusable.

something that took me time to realize is that it seems like any stage manager window can be made full screen when you want/need it by hitting the 3 dots and hitting one of them buttons. also i turned on the high dpi mode on the 11" and it's... i dunno. usable, i guess, with the dock exposed? it's not great though. much more usable on an external monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

As someone with zero interest in an apple display, I am interested in that sleight of hand bullshit.