Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008
If you have any sort of issue with sleep and are running filevault, try decrypting and see if you can reproduce.

I was having an issue with my 2011 macbook pro not waking from sleep after closing the lid, it was all resolved after a decrypt of the drive. I'm waiting for my SSD to come in before I reencrypt to see if it's still happening and an actual hardware issue.

Harry Totterbottom fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

petewhitley posted:

We just ordered a new iMac to replace our aging Mac Mini. Currently, we watch videos streamed from our Mini via our Xbox 360 (using Connect360). I'm thinking about turning that Mac Mini into a dedicated media center, bypassing the 360 altogether. From a relatively quick Googling, it seems like that would be a more functional, and all-together nicer way to view content from our Macs. True/false? Worth the effort? If so, is there a definitive guide to doing so? I've found about 5,000 blogs about it, not sure if there's a better resource than that.

I like Plex

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

dexter6 posted:

Anybody have any recommendations for a stylish, business appropriate messenger bag that will hold a 15" MBP and an iPad? Google bring up tons so I'm looking for some way to narrow it down.

Thanks!

Timbuk2

Best customer support ever, solid bags and made in :911:

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

movax posted:

Speaking of VMs, it looks like my Windows Boot Camp has picked up the annoying of habit of deactivating itself when booted via VMWare. Any simple-way to get past this, or just tolerate the "ACTIVATE ME!" when VM?

I get this same behavior in parallels if I just put the VM to sleep instead of shutting down completely before starting up the boot camp partition.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

frumpsnake posted:

And seriously, if you're on the road, you probably don't loving need Ethernet, and Apple will happily sell you a monitor/pseudo docking station with Ethernet for your home or office as well as a dongle. It's a non issue. Especially if the rumours are true and you have *five* suitable ports to plug Ethernet capabilities into.

Yeah, just what I want another loving dongle to drag to the data center, so now I'll have to keep my usb -> serial adapter along with a spare usb -> RJ-45 in my backpack... yay more usb poo poo that I really don't want when I'm already pissed off at 3 in the morning when dealing with broken poo poo. Looks like if this rumor is true I'm going to be on the hook for at least 3 of the drat adapters...

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

Petey posted:

Now that I have my Air, I'm thinking about getting an iMac. While my old black Macbook is still running OK, I only ever now use it as a desktop, and I figure if I am going to use it as a desktop I might as well get an actual desktop.
Sell your soul and get the thunderbolt display and external storage. (I'm assuming you got a newer air.)

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

Gray Cells posted:

I'm a noob to Macs so I apologise if this question seems stupid. I only got my 13" MacBook Pro a couple of weeks ago. It has one jack for mic or headphones. I need a headset with headphones and mic combined for my lengthy Skype calls so despite a good inbuilt mic, that doesn't solve the problem.
Simple answer right? Buy a USB headset/combined mic. I do so but my Skype callers say there is a horrid static sound coming from my side. I've researched and it seems there can be a problem with Macs and USB headsets for some reason where there is feedback/static/distortion. I'm really frustrated by this and I don't know what to do next.

Snag a pair of the iphone headphones that have the mic & volume control.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

japtor posted:

Otherwise there's Bluetooth headsets too, they're only $20-30 on the lower end.

I haven't done any testing in skype with bluetooth headsets, but my luck with them in lync has been pretty spotty... it might have just been the lovely jawbone though...

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

fart blood posted:

In addition, I click that edit button on the lower right hand corner, and I can't find ANY option for setting the time capsule to Bridge Mode. Apple message board searches haven't provided any luck. Can anyone here provide any assistance?

Edit > Networks >Router Mode

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

mediaphage posted:

One of Toshiba's Ultrabooms that premiered at IDF last year had a magnesium case. It was quite nice, build quality-wise. Too bad the screen was awful, though.

The Dell Latitude 6420 (and 30's) started using magnesium cases and it just feels cheap especially compared to the 6400 and 6410 models. The switch is actually why I ended up switching to a macbook pro at work. I felt like I was going to break the drat dell lugging it to the data center, not to mention it didn't feel that much lighter than the prior metal body versions.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Most things don't "just work" as soon as you try to leave the Apple ecosystem, especially when trying to get Apple proprietary features working with third-party solutions.

Sorry, but I wouldn't trust my backups to a hacked together solution.

When I was trying to keep my sparebundle on an NTFS share, it would routinely corrupt and have to be rebuilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

MrBigglesworth posted:

Yeah trying to learn the shortcuts and gestures. Thanks for the CMD+Space option, that's pretty badass!

Install Alfred
Disable Cmd + Space for Spotlight (System Pref-> Spotlight -> Uncheck Spotlight menu Keyboard Shortcut)
Set Alfred shortcut to Cmd + Space