Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Installed my SSD just now, don't have much to say about it yet except that I was under the impression that my boot up time would be nearly instant, but it's not. User the timer on my iPhone it took me about 50 seconds from when I pressed the power button to getting to my desktop. Take off some seconds where I had to type in my username/password and it's still ~45 seconds from power on to desktop.

Is this as good as it gets or am I doing something wrong?

MBP 13" 2010 base model by the way.

Not directly comparable but my 2011 13" went from 45s to login w/ stock 5400rpm drive to 12s w/ mushkin SSD. So that seems off to me. What kind of SSD did you get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

krooj posted:

Question - What's OS X like for day to day use on an SSD vs. without? My refurb comes on the 19th, and it has a 750GB 7.2k drive installed. I plan on going to 8GB of ram right away, but should I also do the SSD?

It's night and day in my experience. Try to get at least 240gb so it's not a hassle.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I'm a little surprised that Apple didn't hype up the 120Hz displays more. I was expecting them to call them Retina Plus or something to get everyone to feel the need to upgrade all of their Apple equipment again.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah, not very good ProMotion of a feature IMO.

Touché! :doh: I completely missed that name.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Just drop it on the sidewalk. How would they know water was the main cause after it dried up.

:thunk:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_contact_indicator

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Going to keep limping along with my 2012 rMBP with display issue (it almost looks interlaced, like a pinstripe effect from the early versions of OS X covering the whole screen).

I'm hoping at least we can get a "ProMotion" 120Hz display on next year's dongle-touch-books if I'm going to give up ports and the old keyboard. There's just nothing compelling to me otherwise. Here's hoping.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Is there a thread to follow the WWDC keynote? I guess "Mac Hardware" thread might be a touch optimistic.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Is there a significant difference from the nTBP Macbook pro vs touchbar, other than the obvious (and 2 fewer ports?). Need a Mac laptop for work and trying to decide between Air and 13" MBP with a roughly ~2000 CDN$ budget.

Sadly I don't see any 2015 rMBP models available from Apple refurb, and I'm reluctant to order 2016-2018 refurbs due to the keyboard issues. :(

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

This might be a question for the display thread, but is there a go-to USBC/Thunderbolt monitor with lots of ports? Or would you be better off buying a thunderbolt dock and a cheaper display? Pretty huge price variations for both the hubs and the displays, not sure which might be junk to be avoided.

Don't need eGPU, just want a similar setup to Apple's old thunderbolt display where you can have ethernet etc. plugged in, plus charging.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

The non-Touch Bar 13" MBP hasn't been updated in 2 years, has a worse cooling setup to save money, and will never get the 3rd-gen butterfly keyboard with the membrane to attempt to prevent dust ingress. I have no idea why Apple is still selling this Mac.

If you can squeeze a 2018 13" TB MBP into your budget, that's the best computer. The 2018 13" TB MBP went from 2 to 4 cores, and its butterfly keyboard can be updated into the one in the 2019s. The 2018 Air is fine if you can't get a 2018 13" TB MBP.

Thanks I had no idea and was close to buying one. This product lineup is a mess. Will try for 2018 Touch Bar refurb.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

LionArcher posted:

The ntb has the worse keyboard. At least the new ones will be replaced or have the latest revision. And the ntb is now a three year old chip set I think?

I foolishly assumed it was recently updated along with the others. Thanks for the heads up!

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Apple should make a pro keyboard using its butterfly mech and charge $999 for it :smuggo:

Plus 99$ for the keyboard legs :smuggo:

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Noticed 2015 rMBP on Apple Canada refurbished today. Bought one for work and one for home to replace my dying 2012.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

My 2015 rMBP makes a kind of "clunk" noise when I pick it up. It feels like glue on something is not holding and some component shifts.

I'm going to take it to a fruit stand tomorrow. Any ideas if this is a known issue, type of replacement / fix? I get the feeling it's going to be the entire machine.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

BobHoward posted:

I’m predicting a battery replacement, because that’s what my 2013 15” needed a few years ago with identical symptoms.

The “clunk” was a pair of clips roughly in the middle of the bottom cover panel. They support and prevent it from rattling or bottoming out when you put pressure there. However, if the lithium ion cells start swelling, they can put enough pressure on the bottom panel to pop the clips out. When you pick the computer up you’re opposing with some force in the opposite direction and you hear a clunk from the clips popping back into their normal place.

Thanks, this sounds like exactly what's going on. It's only mildly irritating but clearly ominous.

I did a battery replacement on my 2012 (purely to extend the life of it before it was designated 'vintage', there was no swelling or any issue), I think that meant the entire top case was replaced. But my data was intact. Obviously everything important is backed up, but I have a Bootcamp partition and I don't know if I can be bothered, though it's nice to have. Hopefully I've written down which Windows key I used for it somewhere.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Just out of curiosity I looked up Apple's vintage list to see where the cutoff is for MacBooks: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

Glad they listed the Apple I there. I'd hate to show up to a fruitstand with one of those for repair and be turned away.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Actually, I think what would be much cooler is if they took the top 10% of the giant rear end trackpad and put the touchbar there. You could make it touch disabled unless you have a button depressed as well, shift or cmd or something, or let people flip it on for touch by default.

Most of the touchpad is wasted space IMO. Fully prepared to hear that this is a terrible idea, but I'd actually prefer that to the upper touchbar IMO.

I think this is a great idea. You could even turn the entire trackpad area into a capacitive touch screen and do the partitioning of buttons/cursor by software. Could add the top macOS menu as well (file, edit, view menus etc).

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

xarph posted:

Children, there was once a glorious time of peace. A peace of 15 or so years, between the fall from grace of IBM, to the fall of Intel32-bit and OpenGL/Vulkan, that macs could play games.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

the Osborne Effect.

Kind of? Except the new product on the horizon is going to be a side- or even downgrade for many purposes. And you've going to have x86 holdouts who will want the last models available that will work with Windows and games.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I bought the first Intel iMac in January 2006 and it was a great machine... but Rosetta apps were awful and a lot of applications effectively just bit the dust.

This transition should be smoother but I'd wait for at least the second round of machines. Will be interesting to see concrete numbers for battery life for the Macbook.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Hmm they could have just done this in house I guess this forces people to use Apple first party if the 3rd party doesn't exist anymore!

This is definitely an Apple pattern

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

It’s probably much cheaper and faster like this

I get the feeling it's more about opportunity cost and hiring than it is about dollars.

They probably would save money building it themselves, but it would take time. Plus you then hire people who have been working on this specific problem for however many person-years.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

SourKraut posted:

Oh I agree, I think it'll be more than 5 years. I was just trying to counter this doom-and-gloom view of Intel Macs being thrown to the trash heap in 2 years. But I think even getting 5 years minimum of continued support is good to begin with when a major transition like this is occurring.

Another thing to ask is, how long before *first-gen* ARM Macs get tossed in the Apple dustbin?

My first-gen Intel iMac was cut off pretty quick whereas the second wave (later the same year) with Core 2 Duo was supported a good bit longer proportionally. Think iPad 1 vs iPad 2 in terms of longevity.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Apple: It’s a dev kit with an iPad processor and we haven’t really optimized anything.

Devs: Well poo poo, look at these benchmarks in x86 emulation mode! This sucks!

Meanwhile,

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/29/apple-rosetta-2-a12z-beats-surface-pro-x/

quote:

As developer Steve Troughton-Smith points out, the two-year-old A12Z in the ‌Mac mini‌ outperforms Microsoft's Arm-based Surface Pro X in Geekbench performance, running x86_64 code in emulation faster than the Surface Pro X can run an Arm version natively.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

I get my tech advice from Forbes magazine

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/06a132b0-e4d5-4fd9-b334-d1b2004dcff4

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I've got a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) hooked up to a Samsung U28E590D 4K monitor with a mini displayport to displayport cable (this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Rankie-DisplayPort-Cable-Ready-Black/dp/B00YOQYQWY).

The resolution list tops out at 2560x1440. I thought this setup should allow UHD @ 60fps with this cable, but now that I'm looking at the Amazon detail page, it says 4k @ 30 Hz :(. I don't actually even see that as an option

Will this cable will work? Or is there a go-to recommendation?

https://www.amazon.ca/DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Compatible-MacBook-Surface/dp/B07X1WNZ73

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I've got a 2012 rMBP that I use with the screen off (because it's supremely busted) as a server and build machine. Is there going to be a way to get Big Sur on there? If I can't have the latest XCode etc. then its usefulness will plummet toward being a pet rock.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Worst case it just gets emulated?

Here's an interesting post about porting R over to Apple Silicon

https://developer.r-project.org/Blog/public/2020/11/02/will-r-work-on-apple-silicon/

Actual worst case is in a couple macOS revisions, Apple removes Rosetta 2. Given the history this seem guaranteed.

But I think with the experience of PPC and 32-bit Intel, (and OpenGL) we’re all used to the idea that macOS is not about backward compatibility, outside of (brief) transition periods.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

shrike82 posted:

oddly enough the examples you mentioned are being done on the cloud including Apple's implementations

I thought Apple was using neural engine for photos?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

It's about time we get a redesigned iMac too without the huge chin and height adjustment would be nice

They're going to keep the chin and add a notch

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Despite paying (ostensibly) too much attention to Apple news, and being a former App developer, I didn't realize my game was going to be auto-published to the Mac App Store until I was reading this thread last night. Whoops. Kind of a bold move, as far as defaults go.

I guess I will opt-out because I have no idea how it will run, and don't plan to shell out for first generation Apple Silicon. Unless there's another way of testing it? I mean, most of the testing I ever did was in the Unity editor, and it works okay with the mouse, but :iiam:?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

MacRumors says it will work

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/4k-5k-displays-buyers-guide-mac/

Personally I would stick with 2560x1440 though.

Seconding this. I have a 2015 rMBP and while it does indeed output 4K @ 60Hz over DisplayPort, you can distinctly tell it struggles when scrolling and using expose etc., compared to my 1440p screen at home. I regret getting the 4K screen for it at work.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Perplx posted:

It might be running at 30hz if its hdmi 1.4.

Almost certainly the case (plus the strain on a 2013 to push that many pixels won’t help).

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Dreadwind posted:

My wife has a MacBook for work that's absolutely wrecking her when it comes to typing (carpal tunnel), I'm wondering if you all have any suggestions for ergonomic split keyboards? I started looking online but the prices and styles are all over the place. She doesn't really have any preferences other than it can split and has lifters. Thanks!

What’s your budget? And patience for learning?

I have suspected carpal tunnel and just bought a moonlander keyboard, but it’s expensive and takes some getting used to. Then again we’re in a Mac thread...

Microsoft sculpt would be my go to for a cheap/easy one.

edit: I didn't actually mention I love the Moonlander. Moonlander is split mechanical (essentially a sequel to ErgoDox EZ which I've used for a couple years). I went for the switches with the lowest actuation force and it seems a lot easier on my hands/wrists so far. But it's not for the faint of heart, is all I was getting at.

Escape Goat fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 28, 2021

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Data Graham posted:

What’s the deal with the round MagSafe plug? Just to make it harder to orient?

Or are the contacts concentric so it doesn’t matter?

The plug is round. The cable is round. They should call it RoundSafe.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

mediaphage posted:

i don't know if they'll do a notch or not, i have no real opinion on it. but i think if they do they'll probably have it so that you can keep it blacked out in the row if you aren't doing a full screen video or game or something

^^^

I think a notch makes sense for the Macbook, and the middle of the menubar is Free Real Estate much of the time. Not saying I _want_ one, but it fits with Apple's trends.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

When you want to shop privately for gifts online, there's a playlist for that too

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

HomePod socks

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

No goofing, they need to absolutely fire the entire team responsible for these productions. They're so overproduced and clearly expensive, while also being.... terrible...

quoting this infinitely. overproduced was the exact word that came to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Honj Steak posted:

The iPad Air also doesn’t have ProMotion, so I’m sure the MacBook Air wont have it either

"ProMotion" has got to be their worst branding fuckup in a decade, and is up there with .NET for making something difficult to Google.