Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm thinking about changing up my desk. I'm looking at having my 2010 macbook pro in closed mode with a cinema display as the screen. Does running in closed lid mode cause any heat issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I've finally switched to using an external monitor with my Macbook Pro (2010) in closed mode. It's a dirt cheap benq 1680 X 1050 office slave monitor. It's hooked up with a MiniDP > VGA adapter, which is fine, but I can't seem to select resolutions over 1440 x 900. If I were to use MiniDP > DP > A good, new monitor, would I still be stuck at 1440 x 900?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I've selected 'mirror display' and shut the lid - the MBP native res is 1680 x 1050.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm at 60hz ... not sure what to do about this. I'm fine to get a new monitor, just curious as to what's up with this.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

japtor posted:

Tried it without mirroring?

this seems to be the fix. I wonder why this is the case, however.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I have an early 2015 MBP 13" i use for music production (plugged into a 24" ASUS, running Ableton + many Plugins). Various websites say that this thing can drive a 4k screen. It heats up a lot when I'm doing my usual thing at the moment. Would adding a 4k screen be torture on this thing? Anyone have any experience with this ?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Cool, thanks. What do you mean by 'turned up'? Are they not always giant heatsinks?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

What are the chances of a Mac Pro update at the same time as the upcoming rMBP refresh?

What a disappointing road the Mac Pro has taken. For all the hype and effort put in, it's really gone nowhere. No wonder hackintosh is growing so fast.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Surely. I'm yet to meet anyone with one, and I don't see a lot of posts about them online. There's probably a huge warehouse in Texas full of weird cylinder computers.

I feel like the real Mac Pro is the 5k iMac.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

8ender posted:

I feel like the Mac Pro design we got should have been the new mini and they should have continued making cheese graters with updated internals for those who needed them but I'm not at the same pay grade as an Apple exec so

That'd be the dream. An i3 and iris in a tiny little cylinder would make a lot more sense. Actual 'Pro' users usually are tied to a desk with 1 - 5 displays and other peripherals. A tower isn't a bad idea in that circumstance. Cylinder would look really nice in HTPC / general office use.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I've been using 4k30 (in windows) at work for a month or two and honestly it's not that bad for exclusively desktop use. Certainly not a dealbreaker, at least for me.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Looks like anything from this year & last year should be able to push it via DP. Iris 6100 can - apparently - drive 2x 4k60hz.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

my crazy prediction is that the next Mac Mini is going to be apple TV sized and the Pro will be a more muscular Mini. Maybe with something like a single-fan GPU, like the R9 Nano size. Forget about the cylinders.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

64gb is ok if you stream all your media or have a cool NAS setup at home. Otherwise, definitely too small for a primary computer.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

poemdexter posted:

Unlabeled x-axis... a good chart.

Anyone familiar with running 4k monitors off of macbook pros? At work I have a thunderbolt display and another monitor (1900x1080) hooked to my macbook and it's wonderful. I started to look at dell monitors since the thunderbolt displays are no longer sold, and then realized the 4k monitors that dell has are affordable but was worried I wouldn't be able to run 2 of them off my late 2013 mbp. Internet is telling me mixed things but it looks like apple's official page says I can run just 1 4k monitor.

I've used one 4k display with my 13" 2015 rMBP, it works flawlessly. 2 might be a bit of an ask. I'd go with whatever the official site says or maybe check Reddit's Apple section as well.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah I use mine pretty often for work and family stuff. The Facetime HD camera isn't amazing, I'd be bummed if it were even wrose.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That webcam can't power on without the LED showing up. You're just gunking up a laptop at this stage.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Am I being a luddite by saying it's a mistake to phase out headphone jacks? Is this my own 'less space than a nomad' moment?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm typing this on a 13" rMBP from 2015 and it seriously is as thin as is sensible IMO. The lower portion is thinner than some usb plugs, yet there's next to no flex. Just wish everyone would settle down on the thinness and think more about rigidity.

One of the reasons I got a mac in the first place is because I hate wobbly, creaky plastic laptops. Now they're all wafer thin and I'm concerned. Maybe I am out of date, I still want headphone jacks and would have liked firewire or ethernet on here.

Phone stuff:

well why not fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 6, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Really, it'd smart less if they introduced the headphones a year or so before they excised the jack. Let people warm up to them before making the switch.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Tide posted:

Uh dude...not sure if you're aware of this but Bluetooth headphones have been out for a while now

Official Apple thunderbolt-charged headphones?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I expect Air to be gone this time next month.

It'll be 13" Macbook, 13" Macbook Pro, 15" Macbook Pro. Various levels of trim amongst that.

The same as the early unibody / late plastic days, except no 17". RIP.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's not hate, it's more like disinterest. It was a stopgap that's served it's purpose. Time to retire.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Aw man, 1000 days? Remember the whole "who says we can't innovate!" thing, and the huge hype wave crashing when the prices came out?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

rack pro is just a huge joke, surely.

My prediction for the Mac line remains - Mac Mini sized Pro, appleTV sized Mac Mini soon.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

more and more reason to go hackintosh these days.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

LmaoTheKid posted:

Ports are bad and dumb, just like the old keyboards.

You won't miss them, I promise.

Missing them already. I've got a mouse and a soundcard plugged in currently. If I want to charge my phone off my laptop, I'd have to unplug one of the two. To keep the same experience I'd have to spend money on a hub, or a new mouse with bluetooth.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

LmaoTheKid posted:

There are some great USB-C hubs that make plugging all your poo poo in as simple as plugging in one cable and it's actually Real Good. More of the line using USB-C only will only help make said docks even better.

I'm talking about a rMBP 2015. 2 ports, neither are USB-C. The only other 'pro' mac has 4 USB3 and 6 TB2 ports.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I know people using 2009 - 2010 MBPs and Airs as their fulltime machines. If you're a light user (and lucky) then it's totally still viable. Doubly so if you popped in an SSD to a pro.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

procgen posted:

Mine worked like a champ until just a few months ago when the dedicated GPU crapped out (apparently a problem with a lot of the 2010 machines). I was really impressed by how well the hardware and performance held up over the years, this one issue notwithstanding.

Yeah mine had the GPU issue, actually. If that hadn't happened I'd probably still be using it today.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Selklubber posted:

I wish they'd release a MacBook with rainbow colored Apple logo.

I'd love to see an RGB mac logo back there, but sadly we're probably in the last gen where they even light up. Nothing ever looked as good as the black macbook with that thing lit up.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Housh posted:

Which was the best mac computer?

Black / White Macbook, Final Intel Mac Pro, Cube, and the above lamp Style iMac.

Honorable mention to Bondi Blue iMac.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

A MacBook with the mac pros glossy metallic looking finish would be sweet.

Oh man, it'd be fingerprint city, though. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to put in the iPhone 7 black option to the MBP line.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

They were so cool :

Before retina, before aluminium. Core duo and an optical drive. If you could pop an SSD in one, I'm sure they'd still work fine.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

most people can't touch type

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

full emoji keybaord

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

maybe there'll never be new macbook pros. maybe the 2015 models are the final step and apple is just going in for a victory lap

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

My MPB predictions:

Likely:
Kaby Lake
HDR or similar
Extra colours
Thinner
USB-C
New Keyboard

Not Likely:

144hz
External GPU

Almost Certainly Not:

More USB Ports
17"
Anything we turbonerds actually want.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

'Smoothness' is exactly the sort of nebulous term that Apple love to emphasise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39HUG7QrQi8