Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've got a Macbook Pro 5,1 (late 2008,) first unibody model with a Broadcom BCM43xx wireless card. Does anybody know if I can swap this out for any of the recent MBPs' wireless cards?

e: Nevermind, it seems that all of the unibodies use BCM4322. In this case, I'll explain my problem.. My MBP decides that it can't connect to certain routers/access points/etc. I can't seem to find a pattern, but it just simply cannot connect to some and can connect to others. It's really just a crapshoot whether it can or cannot connect to a wifi spot that I've never used before. Could it be that somehow the card is just crappy and I could just get it replaced? I would think otherwise since I have no problem connecting to half of the routers I've ever tried connecting to, but it's definitely a hardware issue because it behaves the same under Bootcamp and an Ubuntu Live CD.

krnhotwings fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Would anyone be interested in a mechanical tenkeyless style keyboard with native Apple keys?

Something like this:

But with all the brightness / itunes / volume / command keys as a modern Apple keyboard should have.

No one is currently making one, so I'm trying to find a manufacturer who'd be willing to make a limited run and starting a Kickstarter, or maybe just fronting the money myself and taking orders.
I'd be very much interested in this as long as it works properly with a PC as well.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Soup in a Bag posted:

You can install and use 8GB.
What. the. gently caress. I've had this firmware installed for the longest time but was never aware that I could use 8 GB........ I was only aware of the 4gb limit and "unofficial" 6gb. God drat it, I really could have used 8 GB sooner than now...

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Viktor posted:

Anyone have an issue with the hinge on a MBP moving? Mine is slowly shifting forward a mm or so every week. There's a tiny nick in the corner but there's no physical damage to the upper shell. Using a thule 15" case and it's quite well treated.

Will apple care cover this or a wear and tear issue?
Probably just the hinge gettin' loose. I've had to open mine up and tighten it before. My mbp is a late 2008 unibody, which uses T6 torx screws for the hinge.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Any idea where? I don't see it under any of the subpanels.

quote:

The "Ignore accidental trackpad input" trackpad option no longer appears in System Preferences. Functionality for "Ignore accidental trackpad input" is enabled automatically, by default for these computers.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3009

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Viktor posted:

Side note; you really need to loctite the case screws back in because they work out/loose over time.
Definitely need loctite. Unfortunately, I've been too lazy/forget about getting loctite, so I just keep having to crack it open to tighten the screws..

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

beergod posted:

Can anyone please tell me what this blotch is in the middle of my screen? It only shows up against a dark background. I'm out of AppleCare. It doesn't make the machine unusable or anything but it kind of sucks. What are my options?
Is that a matte screen? I have the same sort of thing on my glass screen MBP, and it seems to be just a smudge of dirt and oil (?). I just wipe it off since I have a glass screen. Have you tried cleaning that spot off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Mango posted:

Maybe a display sleep hot corner is my answer. :effort:
I use ctrl+shift+eject to sleep and lock my screen.