Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Great, thank you guys. Seems like an ideal laptop for my needs at a really good price.

Sounds like your decision is made anyway, but that's the exact model I grabbed a couple of weeks ago and it's been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

How much ram does the 2011 Mini Server top out at? Apple says 8GB, but they tend to be conservative about supported max ram don't they?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

Maxes out at 16 GB. Apple just undercuts specs so the machine lasts longer / is more reliable. They've definitely been known to downclock their video cards (ATI and nVidia.)

That's just what I want to hear. I need to run a few VMs and don't want to be stuck if 8GB isn't enough. Thanks for the info!

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

mediaphage posted:

Yeah, Retina Pro still randomly dropping to screensaver/lock screen in the middle of using it. No hot corners of any kind. I wish I knew wtf was going on.

My Mini does this occasionally. I've seen it twice since upgrading to ML.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Panic Restaurant posted:

Thanks for the thorough response! So if she gets the current model, it's not likely to have a shorter lifespan and will still be fairly future-proof? Her main issue is that she doesn't want it to become super obsolete or slow down quickly, she wants many years of use out of it.

I'm using a 2012 13" rMBP and it's still fine. The only problem I have with it is not enough storage and that's on me for buying the 128GB model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

A Mac Mini is a perfect computer

Sure is. Tracking down a quad-core model is a pain though.