Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Ok, so I think I am in the market for a new MacBook. I currently have a MacBook 2007 core duo (white) with 120GB storage, 4GB of RAM, snow leopard, and its in pristine condition (lasted me over 5 years now).

First: any guesses on the resell/trade in value of my MacBook? I have 2003ish office on there. Can I wipe my data off my computer while still keeping that installed (to help with resale value)?

I'm pretty sure I should just go with a 13" MacBook Air (I def don't need a CD drive), I love being as portable as possible. I'm not a power user beyond web browsing, messaging/email, office and occasional Netflix, so it doesn't need to do music/video editing or photoshop.

I currently have an iPad 2 and will likely be swapping that for a Mini whenever the retina Mini comes out, so this would be my more powerful device.

Oh, and is Apple care worth it for MacBooks?

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Selklubber posted:

I'm trying to decide if Applecare is worth 170 $ extra or not. As I understand it I can buy Applecare within 1 year of buying the computer. According to norvegian laws, I'll get the computer fixed free for stuff that isn't my fault for 5 years. Does Applecare cover stuff like spilling water on it? It also looks like Applecare will fix it in other countries too, is that correct?

I'm curious on this one too, just clarification on what it covers and not covered (I'm on the US)?

I'm going with a 13" MacBook Air, def with 8GB of memory. Would I see any real benefit by upping the processor? Use case is web browsing, office, maybe video chat, and very occasional Civilization.

Any word on if the new Airs will get a free upgrade to Maverick? At the end of the day $30 in a few months would be nothing compared to the original cost, it would just be irritating.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I pulled the trigger and went with the 13" Air, 8Gb of memory, 256 storage (and applecare). Even with student pricing the final order made me cringe slightly. My solution is to just archive my order email immediately so I don't look at it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Selklubber posted:

I just did this too, without applecare. The laws here cover the same thing. Strangely enough they didn't ask for any proof that I'm a student.

They didn't ask for mine either (which is great because it would be my wife's email), either way I'll take what I can get.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
When I ordered my air it said it would arrive in about 7 days, would be available in store in 8 to 9. I have not yet gotten a shipping notice.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I doubt I will ever really hook my MacBook to an external display. Do I have a use for thunderbolt at all? I rarely use even one USB port at a time, so I'm not hurting for ports, it's just there so I feel I should use it for something....

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

parrhesia posted:

I realize a few people have asked this already, but of those who have bought an MBA: Are there any that regret not having gotten the i7 over the i5?

I will buy a 13" MBA soon and given my usage pattern (heavy multitasking, but basically only text processing, browsing, the occasional game and some statistics stuff) the i5 is probably enough and I'll just upgrade the RAM instead. I tend to use my computers for many years though and I wonder if the i7 might add some needed power down the line.

I got the base processor and upgraded the RAM to 8GB and the storage to 258 (or whatever it is). I'm a slightly lighter user than you, but the thing flies so far. I would think only a really heavy user needs the updated processor.

I have yet to hear the fan on this guy. Crazy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thauros posted:

I need a replacement battery for a 2007 13" MacBook, out of all the aftermarket batteries out there are any recommended either to get or to avoid?

Just to mention I had that mac and needed a new battery. I went with the $30 amazon replacement. Didn't exactly do the trick. Go official Apple or upgrade the computer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
What's the consensus on the new Time Capsule? I have the new Air and comcast internet, will i notice a difference? Also, I've previously have had issues with Apple routers not playing nicely with Windows computers, is that still the case?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Best wireless mouse? I would love to avoid AA, but it isn't a deal breaker.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Except if you're doing precision selection. I love the Magic Trackpad but I have to bust my mouse out when I'm tightening up graphics.

I'm weird with trackpads and mice, my right arm is slightly twisted, so using the trackpad on my mac air is extremely uncomfortable with my right hand, but works great with my left (I'm righty). So my right hand doesn't like gestures as a result. I'm good with a mouse, so I'll probably get the magic mouse. I also type only with my left hand at 50 words per minute ish.

Anyway, that was a weird derail, sorry about that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Good to read that other people are having random WiFi issues with the new MBAs. Mine every once in a while (maybe once a week?) will just stop working with wifi. Turning wifi off and on fixes it, and other devices of course stay working so its def the mac and not my router, so just irritating for now. Thankfully so far it isn't that frequent.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't think anyone posted this yet, but AnAnd has posted their review comparison of the i5 vs i7 Macbook Air.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7113/2013-macbook-air-core-i5-4250u-vs-core-i7-4650u

The i7 seems to be about 20% more powerful over all. Biggest surprise is that the i7 gets the same ish battery life on a low work load.

With my personal uses I have pretty much literally no need for the i7 (the biggest thing I do is Civ and it runs fine so far), but the nerd in me almost regrets not getting the i7. Almost regrets.

Edit: poo poo, horribly beat to this one.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 8, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Samara posted:

If I buy this new Airport Extreme that does the 802.11ac networks, do any AAPL devices currently support that?

The reviews are that

Samara posted:

If I buy this new Airport Extreme that does the 802.11ac networks, do any AAPL devices currently support that?

The reviews are that the new MBAs support them, but something in the software prevents the speeds from reaching anywhere close to the higher maximums. I believe they said Mavericks should fix the issue.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Selklubber posted:

The screen isn't so good uncalibrated. I used a photography calibration tool on mine and it's much better now.

Can you provide a link for this?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rear end Catchcum posted:

Will the battery on my new 2013 Macbook Air 13" be effected negatively if I leave it plugged in/charging + on all the time except when I unplug it to use it on the couch/out of the house?

I would think it would be fine, but with he standby time I don't know why you would be that obsessive about it. I plug up mine maybe twice a week, and it still works like a champ. If I know I'll be doing something battery intensive like gaming I'll make sure to plug it up in advance, but otherwise the thing doesn't die whether I have 80% or 30%.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to mention that I finally got around to finding out what coverage an Amex card offers on electronics, and basically it extends the warranty an extra year. So if you get a mac without Apple care it's a 2 year warranty, if you get Apple care Amex extends Apple care by another year (so 4 years).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Animal posted:

Does it work if I only buy Apple Care with AMEX? I already bought my Mac with a different credit card, but dont have AppleCare yet. It would be great if it extended it an extra year.

Pretty sure you would need the device purchase to be via the Amex card, so just buying apple care with warranty wouldn't do anything. Def double check with Amex though.

And yes, I meant Amex covers the difference on the extra year, no Apple. Sorry about that!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

shodanjr_gr posted:

Is the cheapest way to add applecare to an existing mac just to go through Apple's educational store? Or can I get a better deal through a reseller?

Apple education store (pretty sure).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Going on the question with time capsule, I'm considering getting the airport time capsule apple released last year. Besides doing auto time machine backups, does it work like a flash drive where I can drag and drop files? And if so, will that work with windows, iPhone, android, etc?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

To add to what SWSP say, the drives will work like a regular network share, however, the time machine backup bundle is not a browsable folder. As in you can't just open it and pick out the files out of your backup, there's some trickery you can do to sort of make it work, but outside of the Time Machine program on Mac that data is pretty much locked up and unusable.

Now, the last time I discussed a Time capsule, it went overboard, but I'd suggest instead getting a NAS that works as a Time Capsule and getting your own disks, and that's all I'm going to say on that topic unless SWSP decides otherwise.

We can keep it from derailing the thread. Can you send me an example of what you recommend? I have the air from last year so my main feature is AC comparability.

And I tested it and it is my router sucking, so I'm guessing it's time for a replacement (it's been just about 3 years).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BobHoward posted:

The "trickery" is that Time Machine puts network backups in a disk image rather than dumping backup files directly into the share. I'm not sure why you feel compelled to make it sound difficult and mysterious, you just browse the share, find the TM disk image (AKA sparsebundle), double click it to mount, and then browse through the backup folder inside the disk image.

After glancing over the previous blowup, I'm also bemused by your NAS fundamentalism. NAS RAID is not a hard requirement for everyone.

Duckman, it looks like the Time Capsule network share can be mounted in Windows, and presumably Android can mount Windows shares too. Tradeoffs to consider:

- a NAS might not work as smooth for Time Machine, or OS X in general
- an AirPort / Time Capsule might not work as smooth for Windows and Android
- with AP/TC you're probably on your own for backing up Windows or Android, many NASes will have this covered
- a NAS will require more setup effort, and possibly more ongoing administration depending on the NAS model
- TC has a built in 802.11ac wifi router, optimized for Apple computers

So if you're gonna use this thing heavily on Android and Windows, that should push you towards a more generic NAS (even a single disk one). If you're primarily after a base station with Time Machine network backup disk which can be mounted as a share to move the occasional file between different operating systems, that should push you towards a TC.

This is great info.

To clarify:

-almost all actual storage and info we (wife and I) have with data is via my Mac. So any actual music is there, and my Mac is the primary computer. I have a backup via my 500GB passport, but it's getting somewhat full and I never remember to plug it up.
-we both primarily use iPhones. So if pictures can back up from iPhone to time capsule, that will basically solve my issue.
-she has a windows computer but does not use it to sync her pictures or info in any way currently.
-I usually have an android phone, but the info on them tends to be disposable (it's always my work phone so I just don't use it for most personal info).

Honestly, we overall wouldn't even really need physical storage since all pictures auto backup to google, all video is Netflix, and all music is just streamed via RDio or Google Music. But we have a bit extra cash, so the time capsule appealed to me for the auto MacBook backup, and I figure I can continue to drag and drop for occasional music storage when I buy it.

Honestly, if it works well with iPhone and I can just manually access it with windows, I'm leaning towards the time capsule. I'm also like not having to take a lot of setup time so the "plug it in and it works" aspect will also be appealing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Just to make it clear your windows PC can mount the network share and can share any files in the share with anything else, however is can not interact in anyway with the actual backup of your Mac. It can't open it or browse it. That data can only be opened by the Mac that created it or by restoring it to another Mac. Its not a problem if you have another Mac around but its not very flexible otherwise.

I get the inflexibility, but I'll be honest it actually isn't a big deal overall. Now if I backup said iPhone pictures through sync, can my iPhone then later see them (or iPad)?

I've caved on leaking towards Apple on the stupid the compromises they sometimes create.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

binarysmurf posted:

I'd really like to see Apple go back to a bi-annual release schedule, at least with OS X. I've only been a Mac user since ML, but it only feels that Mavericks really came together with the 10.9.3 update - at least regarding Mail issues. Now it's oh HAI Yosemite, and we're back to a .0 release. Again.

Personally I didn't feel they even had much to announce with Yosemite, and that really it could have just been a software update to accompany iOS 8. I'm look forward to the iPhone to Mac integration, but it isn't exactly a major update. And darker backgrounds def are not major updates.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Follow up on my router:

So I had a net gear router, it was having issues with dropping Internet signal, so I got the apple time capsule. My speeds are supposed to be 50MB with Comcast, my router was getting 23ish.

The apple one is getting me 43MB downloads with my iPad and 112 MB downloads with my Macbok Air. I'd say my issue is solved.

And yes, I would still agree I probably overpaid. But it was easy to setup, I got the backups working pretty well, so I think I'm good.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Frankston posted:

I'm going to university in September and I've been eyeing the MacBook Air because I like the portability. The other option was some kind of ThinkPad but they don't offer financing so Apple it is (if there are any UK goons who can point me to a website that offer student financing on other kinds of laptops it would be appreciated).

I'm not so sure about the specs though because I've never had a laptop before. I'll definitely be going for 8gb ram, but is it worth upgrading the i5 to the i7? I have a pretty decent desktop (top of the line about three years ago) which I'll be using for any heavy duty stuff I need to do so I'll just be using the Air for working on documents when I'm out and about, browsing the internet, pretty basic stuff.

For that usage I would say upgrading the storage to 256GB would be worth more.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Facepalm Ranger posted:

For just $24.99 a year.

Apple isn't known for being cheap.

Google play music is a pretty good solution, even if you run out of space it'll get a good bit into the cloud for free.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stryguy posted:

I am tired of Apple making it impossible to fix or replace anything on their computers.

I'm sure you know, but apple isn't exactly moving towards making it easier to fix their computers (seems to be the opposite). If that isn't what you want, long term the only thing to do about it is vote by not buying their computers next time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So it's finally time to upgrade my wife's computer, and we will be switching her from Windows to Mac (everything else we do seems to be Apple now a days). She can get a school discount a dim looking at doing a refurb Mac Pro 13" with retina, 128 or 256 (I have a Time Capsule for storage), 8GB RAM and Apple Care. I won't need the i7.

Can someone clarify which year is Haswell vs non Haswell? She is not a power user, but the screen would be nice and I would just want the best battery life it can get.

Also: my Mac Air never leaves my house so I would only get Apple care for that. She does take her computer to work, so I would entertain something to cover it for damage and lost/stolen if it isn't unreasonable. Usually the plans are, but if anyone knows of any decent options let me know.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 1, 2014

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

2012 and early 2013 are Ivy Bridge (HD4000 graphics) while the late 2013 and 2014 models are Haswell

Cool. What's the difference between Oct 13 and July 14 models?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, yeah MacBook Pro is what I meant.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Practically nothing. Go with a refurb 2013 if it'll save you some more money.

If I were you, I'd make sure to get one with 8gb of RAM and a 256gb SSD even if your wife isn't a "power user." More RAM will help future-proof the machine in the long run and you'd be surprised at how easily even the most casual of users can fill 128gb.

Def agree with this. 8GB of RAM I would think is a must. The storage I was 50/50 on, but eh it's a one time expense and this should last her 5 years.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys. One last question: anyone know what they usually do price wise for macs on Black Friday or cyber Monday? I don't mind waiting until then to order if it would save a few $$.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rookieone posted:

I'm preparing to sell a white C2D Macbook that sadly can't be upgraded to anything past OS X Lion. It currently runs Snow Leopard and IIRC it came with Tiger.
What do you guys recommend, getting it back to Tiger, upgrading to Lion (costs 17€) or keeping Snow Leopard on it?

Snow leopard always ran fine on my old white macbook, why not leave it on that? It would be a higher re sale value than downgrading it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

yoyomama posted:

I'll delete this if this question isn't allowed, but I need some help: I'm trying to sell my 2011 13" MBP and 2013 11" Air. Does $700 sound like a fair price for either of them (both in great condition, with a negligible screen issue with the MBP), or is that too high?

For the 11" Air it depends on the specs. Apple has that Air refurb as low as $768, but only 4Gb and 128GB storage. Curious to know what your Airs have spec wise?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

yoyomama posted:

If you want the rMBP, the refurbished Late 2013 is $1159 for 256/8 GB, which is a really good price. I'm not sure if that would beat Black Friday prices, but it's worth considering I think.

That said, I finally caved and ordered this myself, I have to admit I'm excited!

From a while back, but I waited to Black Friday and this was still the best deal (sadly they won't give me the $100 iTunes card). Plus I was able to get Apple care on the education pricing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

Another dumb Mac question: should I pick up AppleCare for a 13" MBPR?

College discount also helps with apple care. Thru literally do no verification to confirm if you are a student if you happen to not be in school.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for a stand to place my macbook air 13" at. The location for the stand would be ideally next to the couch on the floor, so having it be decently sturdy so my cats don't knock it over is key.

I'm looking at this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JEVHYO6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=YH2DWCTT9O0S&coliid=I2KI1TEZGTOQ3R&psc=1

I'm hung up on price, and not sure if it would be sturdy enough. Anyone here use the Arcbooks? Anything similar?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pertplus posted:

This is probably a little different than what you were looking for, but I've been using http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C7STJ0. It's exactly the right size to place a 13" macbook on top of. It's made of steel so it's pretty sturdy.

That's really good, but I already can place my Mac on the counter under my end table which is about that size. I donno, for whatever reason I was thinking something that could prop it upwards vs flat would be more condensed. Or I'm just crazy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zenostein posted:

I've got one of those, and with the right insert it holds a notebook pretty securely. My 15" (2010) can wiggle a few degrees, but it won't fall out or anything (and it it didn't, it'd be pretty annoying to take the notebook out anyway). Mine's aluminum or something, so it's a pretty stable base, but it seems the wood one weighs half as much (.5lb vs 1.2lb).

I got it because it takes up far less desk space in clamshell mode, and it certainly works brilliantly at that. Are you just using it to hold the notebook, or are you going to be plugging things into it. Because if it's the latter, I'd be more concerned about the cats loving with all the cables more than flat-out toppling it.

Mostly just to hold it. I don't use an external monitor or anything. Currently the cats don't chew my cables, back when they were young we had that issue, but used some yuck spray to kill that habit.

flosofl posted:

Slide it upright between the crosspiece rows?

No lie, didn't think that at all. I'll put that one in consideration, $15 vs $60 would be pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My friend is looking for a MacBook for school, not graphic design, is the 2014 MacBook Pro still the way to go (either on student discount or refurb)?