Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Hello goons! After a little advice, I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro 13 inch (2.4 C2D) and since I can't quite afford to build my ~dream PC~ yet, I've compromised and am looking at putting an SSD into my MacBook. I was just wondering what SSD will fit/which is a decent one to put in (not OCZ!) and is 240-256GB. I know it should be a 7mm? But basically I was just wondering if a goon can link me to one! Also, I currently have 4GB of RAM, would it be worth upgrading to 8GB? I don't really do anything intensive at all, as in the most I do is watch youtube/brows SA/facebook.

Thanks in advance goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
So, what would the difference be between a normal MBP screen and a rMBP? Like is it completely obvious difference or? I'm just wondering if the screen really is superb or if it's more of a gimmick type deal (I'm sure it's great, just wondering)

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

One last thought - you can always buy an SSD (watch Slickdeals) for $120/256GB or $70/128GB, and then install it yourself (incredibly simple) and spend another $8 on a USB enclosure for the HD that you take out of your Mac. Then you've got a 320GB/500GB drive you can use for iTunes or movies or Time Machine backups

If you have a small iTunes library like I do, you can stick it on a 32GB ($20) or 64GB ($60) MicroSD to keep free space on the SSD.

Either way, check the refurb store before you buy a new model - you can often get a good memory and/or HD upgrade for basically free.

Somewhat related to this: Goons!
I know I asked the other week, but I want to be doublyyyy sure that I can do the following:
Put an SSD into my mid-2010 13inch MBP, specifically this one
http://umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=5 or an intel 330 180GB
without having to get an adapter to make it fit (gently caress I forget the name of it), also would this enclosure work with my existing hard-drive (250GB 5400RPM standard-mac drive)
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=177_286&products_id=18153
ALSO: I know this is a software issue but thought I'd ask anyway, when installing the new SSD, do I basically just hit command+R at bootup and boot from a bootable USB stick?
Sorry for all the questions, just getting my ducks in a row before I do this thang! :)
Thanks in advance goons I really appreciate the hand-holding!

Guni fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 1, 2012

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Quote =! edit

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
This RAM will work in my mid-2010 13 inch MBP, yes?

http://umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=5

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
So...say I installed an ssd but don't have a torque screwdriver or whatever it's called to get the screws off the old hard drive..wi this matter?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Great! Thanks for the advice! I still wonder why it didn't show up when I went to do a fresh install? Is there any common mistakes that people make? It was after a full day at work and a uni exam so I may have missed something but really it's quite easy...

E: also regarding the torque screwdriver/screws, I completely forgot about it but I wanted to do it then and there. And I live in Australia so I can't just walk down to a random store and pick one up, I'll have to go to a tool store.

Guni fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 9, 2012

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Woo-oo!! So I got my SSD to work! For some odd, odd reason, my MBP wasn't recognising the drive for some reason, so I put it in an external enclosure I bought and went to disk utility and erased it (it was brand new so it didn't have anything to erase) and boo-yah! It worked!

Thanks for all the help goons...Now to get the torque screwdriver and put the proper screws in!

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

japtor posted:

Hard to tell cause I'm posting from my iPhone, but it looks like my brother's old pre unibody MBP where the edge of the palm rest/trackpad area caused a little scratch in the middle of the screen.

Yup, I'd probably agree with that - my mid-2010 13" MBP has the same thing as well. Out of curiosity would Apple replace the screen because of this (under warranty of course)?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Hey dudes! I have a couple of questions regarding repairs. I have a mid-2010 13" MBP that's still under Applecare until mid-July and I have a couple of issues with it and was wondering whether Apple will cover/replace them:

1) Three of the bottom rubber feet are missing (all fell off pretty recently)
2) I have a mark on my screen from the keyboard (has been in my backpack with heavy textbooks and such)

I'm fairly confident Apple will replace the bottom feet, but will Apple replace the screen or will I be SOL?

Also, when I do go in to get it sorted out (at least the feet), do I have to return it to the stock HDD? I've currently got a Samsung 830 SSD in there.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Oceanlife posted:

I understand what you mean but he is probably looking for general opinions from various people since most of us can't describe our own usage patterns. Which is why I'm lurking this thread instead of reading a few benchmarks before ordering.

Do people with the 128 drives end up wishing they went for the 256? Is the 4gb laggy in real world scenarios? Does the i7 actually make a difference in day to day computing activity?

Of course we can read the reviews online and see benchmark scores, but the qualitative reviews are extremely helpful.

I have a mid-2010 13" MBP that I threw a Samsung 830 SSD into and as of yet I've only used like 40GB of storage. I also only have 4GB of RAM. Both are sufficient..But, having said that I do have a dedicated desktop, so all I really use my MBP for is when I'm at uni and need to type poo poo out during lectures. If it's going to be your main/only computer, I'd definitely go for 8GB/256, but if you have a desktop where you can store other poo poo (like photo's, videos etc) then 128GB should be sufficient.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

I suppose I'm really after something where, in about 4 years, I can still be playing the big winter graphics-showcase blockbusters with the graphics sliders set to "High", if not "Mega Ultra Billion Anti Aliasing Five Thousands Frames A Nanosecond" maxed out stuff.

My main worry is that I don't really know how replaceable the graphics card will be in the new Mac Pro.

That's good news about the pricing though!

This seriously will not happen, I would seriously re-evaluate this, unless you spend A METRIC gently caress TON of cash. It's better to build a decent computer now for like $7-800 and then re-build/upgrade where necessary in the future.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

carry on then posted:

The fact that no currently available for sale Mac allows you to bring your own GPU makes this derail especially off topic and better suited for the PC Parts Thread.

I'll be interested to see what Mavericks' new power management stuff does for older laptops (2010, specifically). Would be nice to see an extra hour of light use for this last year of classes.

This is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway...What is 'Mavericks'?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
E: double post

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

twoot posted:

Yeah this is for filling time between lectures. I already have a gaming PC.

Is Applecare worth buying if there is a likelihood that I might sell it on next year?

You have a year to upgrade to AppleCare, so I'd probably wait if selling it is on the cards.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

TransatlanticFoe posted:

I'm biting the bullet and finally getting an rMBP, most likely the mid-tier 13-inch. Is it worth it to make the upgrade to either 2.6GHz or 16GB RAM if I'm using it for some coding and some light gaming? Which is more important if I only choose one?

I'd say neither. If you're not really going to be doing anything that will make use of the performance, why bother? RAM is something where if you don't have enough, you're going to notice, but after that point you won't notice it and it will go to waste.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
If you're so worried about speed, why not pick up something like an 840PRO?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Vladimir Putain posted:

Really? So do they just have a port in its place for an expansion?

You can't really do anything to upgrade a rMBP, so you better choose the config you want carefully.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Hi Goons, is the 2016 MacBook worth $500 more than the 2015? I can pick up a return 2016 for $1450ish and a new 2016 for $1999. I won't really be doing anything intensive on it, but would like to do a little bit of video editing (mainly editing my GoPro clips from motorbike riding). I have a 2010 C2D MBP and if I do buy a new MB, I'd like for it to have the same sort of lifespan. Would this be wishful thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

If you buy a MacBook for $2000 you need punched in the face.

I remember that short time period where people used an iPad + keyboard to ssh into a VPS and then use vim. 'THIS IS ALL I NEED'

Welcome to Australia mate. Base MacBook is $2k, same with the rMBP