Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I believe, but don't quote me on this, that it was pass-through using unassigned pins on the AGP connector. This bit Apple in the rear end later when some of the signal pins for the power pass-through part of ADC actually got assigned in AGP 8x, causing pre-G5 Macs to be unable to boot with an AGP 8X card installed unless you modded the card. I think it was pass-through for the screen-side power button to power up the system that got messed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The downside of the MBA is that its screen has a very narrow color gamut, not even covering all of sRGB (it's ~45% of Adobe RGB? sRGB is ~70%). For a design student, that could be important, making the 13" MacBook Pro "better" at the same price.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

~Coxy posted:

Doesn't the 13" MBP have a really lovely screen too?

It's not great. It's basically "MacBook Air with lower resolution but better black levels and color gamut." That's still a loving ton better than your average 1366x768 PC laptop screen.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The Thunderbolt display already has Ethernet, though.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Pseudo-God posted:

Hi,

I was wondering if I could connect two monitors to a late 2006 Mac Mini. The Mini has a single DVI-I port, so I was thinking of using this splitter:
http://sewelldirect.com/dvi-splitter-cable-vga.asp
and driving one monitor with DVI-D and the other with VGA. Is this possible, or will the display be only mirrored?

The page you linked posted:

This cable does not mirror an image on two displays. It allows you to have two displays connected to one source (i.e. projector and monitor) and to use one display or the other without having to connect or disconnect the cables which can lead to connector stress damage.

One display at a time, no mirroring, but no cable swapping.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
And yet it runs Windows with proper hardware and software support.

Have you seen a Windows interface at 2880x1800? Can you really see that well? I've got 20/15 vision and my eyes would murder me. And are you prepared for lackluster driver support and half the battery life that you would see in OSX?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Boxman posted:

I know very little about the state of storage; is the fusion drive concept new? I know hybrid HDD/SSDs exist, but I'm not sure if the "the OS will allocate data intelligently" thing is a new spin.

Depends on the details. Intel's Smart Response Technology (SRT) tracks file access by LBA accesses, so only frequently-used data (not entire files, necessarily) is put into the cache. After a while, this amounts to OS boot files and launch portions of frequently-used programs, plus any frequently-loaded data. Optionally, SRT can also cache writes to hard drive by running them through the SSD first.

Most self-contained hybrid drives also do LBA-based caching, but without any interaction with the OS or firmware. These drives usually just track data going in and out.

Windows Vista and 7 actually have some additional OS-level support for hybrid drives to prioritize system data to the flash cache and ensure copies of data on both flash and disk (as it's largely the same idea as ReadyBoost). However, it's not clear if this support is the best that it can be, and the hybridization can be done outside of Windows' storage drivers entirely by third-party software.

Whenever we move from ATA-7 (SATA and revisions) to ATA-8, the main new feature will be commands to directly access a cache on a hybrid device.

Lacking any evidence, then, I'd say that Apple's implementation is probably a custom software stack with firmware support, like Intel SRT but not SRT itself. Apple has a lot of freedom to tweak the OS to provide hardware features (like Retina scaling), and that seems like an easier way to manage things than reinventing the Seagate Momentus XT.