Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Hey thread! I'm currently rocking a 2009 macbook pro, and it's still going strong. However, I'm thinking of upgrading to something with a crispier display at the beginning of the year. I have a couple of quick questions.

Any reason not to upgrade via the refurbished store? The price for what I want (15inch retina, 16 gig, 256 to 512gb SSD) is so much cheaper than new. Also is there any real important difference between 2014 and 2015 years? I am a writer as my primary day job, (This includes photo shop) though in the coming year I may be doing some 4k video editing as well.

Will the refurb keyboard feel like it's been used a lot, or do they slap a fresh one on them? Also, I'm looking at maybe grabbing a 4k monitor. At this point is it easy to just pug and play with either of those macbook pros? Or would I have to get the 2015? Also, what's the battery life difference between the 2014 and 2015?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

fleshweasel posted:

Jesus Christ apple. iPads are for reading forums, watching videos and finger painting. Macs are for creating content.

I mean, I just ordered an iPad Air 2 because it's the right choice for me as a portable coffee shop machine, but I am chomping at the bit for a new 5k iMac.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I'm just waiting for updated iMacs. Anything to make it be able to run 2 4k displays at 60fps without issues and I'll be set with my desktop computer for the next 6+ years

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Arsten posted:

I'm right there with ya, bromance brother.

Same. I'm an author and need that sweet sweet 5K goodness... though if I have a good enough Christmas I might grab a new laptop too.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Selklubber posted:

I wish they'd release a MacBook with rainbow colored Apple logo.

You can always go over to color ware and design one... It's only like $1500 dollars more than a regularly priced macbook lol. Also, with a refresh around the corner (please please please have it be a full line upgrade including imacs) I would say hold off.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Counter point to keyboard chat. The current Mac chiclet keyboards (wired ones) are my favorite keyboards to use. I have a cherry blu CM board, but the chiclet board gives me no RIS issues, and if i use the mechanical too much, it does. From what I've seen though, and briefly using it, the magic keyboard 2 (with scissor switches?) is the best board for RIS. I hope the MacBook Pro redesign throws those in.

Also, where the gently caress are the new macs?!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ugh. Groupon has a 5K iMac for $1300... but it comes with a standard hard drive. Taking one look online, replacing it with a ssd looks like a big old can of nope to me. Can the new computers be announced already?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

The 12" Macbook is the one with the terrible keyboard.

To clear this up... I agree. They use the new scissor switches, compared to old school chiclet style. However the new magic keyboards have scissor switches that rock. Totally different experience.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

eames posted:

Please don't be thinner, please don't be thinner... :pray:

Please give us a spec bump imac that doesn't force me make me fork out an extra $200 for freaking normal usual able SSD or hybrid drive...

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I'm in the market for a new iMac, so... hopefully a minor spec update comes next week too.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

binarysmurf posted:

Looks like there will be no new iMacs or displays released at the upcoming event, although I'm hopeful Apple will tease us with SOMETHING, at least.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/22/kuo-october-2016-mac-predictions/

I'm also hopeful this report is incorrect, but Kuo has a decent track record.

I'm still waiting till 11am on Thursday before I hit purchase on one of the iMacs in the refurbished store though, just in case... anybody have a 2 TB Fusion drive? It work okay?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Gonna be a lot of butthurt people next week when they go to sell their rMBP's to finance the purchase of the latest and greatest, and find out they're only worth $500-700

Oh, I'm going to be very happy personally. I'm almost positive I'll be dropping most of my $$ on a refurbished iMac at this point, but if I can pick up a RMBP to go with it for another $600 I'll be fine with that :dance: I'm still rocking a 2009 MacBook as my main machine...

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Okay gang, I refuse to ask macrumors this question... if tomorrow they don't release iMacs (they won't) which of the refurbished should I pick? 512SSD or the 2Tb or 3 TB fusion? I'm a graphic designer/book publisher. I don't play games (other than the occasional star craft and Stardew valley). Either way I'm getting a couple of standard 1 or 2TB hard drives as time machines and weekly clones, but I'm wondering if Fusion is really a bad option? I do plan on becoming a Youtuber at some point in 2017, so Final Cut Pro will be in my future. (The iMacs I'm looking at have 8 gig of ram, obviously I'll bump them up with an additional 16 gig pack from crucial.)

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Oh god I'm already crying. These loving videos man. They get me in the feels.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

There are no new iMacs are there? :eng99:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Head phone jack!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

You tubers are going to love this poo poo.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Still buying a refurbish iMac, and probably picking up a 2015 rmbp cheaper for Christmas.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So the iMacs can't run the new LG 5K display right? But they can run the new LG 4K display?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ordered a iMac 5K with a 2TB Fusion Drive, and a total of 22Gig of Ram. Stoked. Sure the new ones will be able to power that 5K display, but honestly, running a 4K as a second display at some point will be more than enough for me.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Guys. Just got my Retina 5K iMac. It's amazzzing. And as soon as I'm brave enough to unplug it, I'll be adding 16 gigs to the 8 that came with it.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Here's a fun one. Got my new refurbished Imac 5K yesterday. Love it. Works great. However, if I sleep it, it wakes up after two seconds. If I turn off my magic keyboard and mouse, it stays asleep though. What the hell?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

pzy posted:

Is the mouse on a weird surface like glass? Might be registering phantom movements.

Wood table.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

its no big deal posted:

I agree, but there are no SSD refurbished options, so I'd be looking at $2k for a new 27 base spec with a 256 SSD. Do you think the extra $300 is worth it?

I think the answer is probably yes, but for us that would mean waiting longer before committing and then I wonder why not wait for a new one. It wouldn't even be an issue if they "went with the future" like eliminating ports from everything, but no apparently SSD is too much to want in a computer in 2016.

Go with an SSD or the larger fusion drive, 2TB. They have a larger SSD built in. I have one, and it runs great

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

dongle nation everybody

https://twitter.com/caseyneistat

edit: hmm thought tweets autoexpanded.

God I love Casey. I wish he still daily blogged.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, but only for 4 hours until the battery dies. Two turntables and an USB-C power pack.

Goons are pretty bad though. How many people cried over the keyboard when apparently it's pretty good.

I haven't tried it yet (no Apple Store near by and Best Buy hasn't gotten any in yet). If the keyboard doesn't drive me nuts I'll consider buying one. I like the touch bar for photo editing and speeding up certain functions in my word processing programs though. It has potential.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I so want to want to buy a new MacBook pro.... but the keyboard just isn't there for me. I finally tried one. Good lord is it terrible. I'm an author, typing is what I do. Honestly it's insane they didn't just put in the same keyboard that the Magic Keyboard 2 has in the new laptops. I grabbed a 5k iMac and am so happy that I did. For my portable solution, I currently have an iPad air 2 that is pretty awesome, but could see myself upgrading to a new IPad Pro when they come out in the spring... At least this way I can still use a good keyboard with it. It's honestly just a lack of photo management that keeps an iPad from being the ultimate portable for me.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

if the entirety of this is true, that's kinda disappointing. the fact that there's no clear "vision" and they have engineers working on two designs is a bit worrisome.

also this quote:

rings true for me about the current macbook pros. are they just general laptops for publics or for actual "pros"? because if it's the latter they seem to not actually know what their users want/desire.

i would say the only opinion that's really changed for me about the new macbook pros is the keyboard.

i do a lot of programming, and while it isn't as good as the prev gen macbook pros it's passable with practice. if i didn't hate everything else about the 2016 model and i didn't care about battery worries, the keyboard would not stop me from purchasing one. you should go back and try the keyboard again if nothing else about the macbook pro annoys you.

Sigh. Fair enough. I'll give it a try next week.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I have a IMac 5k that I love. I'm a writer and publisher and it's hands down the best machine for the job... but on the mobile side of things, the new laptops have me weary. Especially with the new Chromebooks being so much cheaper, and doing most mobile things I honestly need. If it wasn't for the fact that Scrivener and a good version of Fade In (best screen writing program out there) aren't on Chrome OS, my next laptop would most definitely be a higher end Chromebook with a retina like screen.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Thanks very much for this! Suggestions as to where to get good instructions on how to do the exchange?

Super duper clone of old drive and then Ifixit guide?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

I bet after Apple sells their Mac line to Lenovo, we'll see more regular updates.

Sure, and also easy back door access for hackers.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I have an iPad Air 2 and hardly ever use it because I use a phone and iMac. Pry MacOS from my cold dead hand mother fucker.

I have an iMac 5k, a iPad Air 2, an ancient 2009 MP, and an iPhone. My MacBook Pro is docked at home, and my iMac is at my office. Which means I use my phone and my air a LOT for browsing, and if I want to get basic work done at a coffee shop. A portable blu tooth keyboard, and it's a very similar (but smaller screen) experience to working from my main machines.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

sonatinas posted:

All mac desktops are dead

I got an iMac 5k in November and was nervous because of the refresh that never happened. I love this computer and hope someday they upgrade it so I can eventually buy that one. All hail desktop with the best screen supremacy.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

You could've gotten a Mac Pro and never be nervous again in your life.

Lol. 5k screen as a publisher and a powerhouse photoshop artist machine is good enough

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

TACD posted:

I keep forgetting they really did that. I'll probably need to replace my phone soon and every time I start to consider a new iPhone I have to remind myself I won't be able to use it for music. Guh.

Arivia posted:

I'm looking at buying an iMac, but wow are the current offerings bad and outdated. I know MacRumours says don't buy, but do we have any indications about an update? I'm guessing WWDC at the latest, but June is a long way away. (I'm upgrading from a 2012 MBP I've basically trashed.)

What are you doing that makes it truly outdated? Bought one in November after they weren't refreshed, and aside from an occasionally weird wakes it up from sleep mode bug it's the best desktop I've ever owned. Photoshop user,plenty of browser tabs open etc.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

updating iphones and backing them up already take a long time. no need to prolong it by doing it wirelessly.

would be cooler if i could get them matte black. but also i think the idea of having to use siri to skip to the next tune or change volume kinda sucks. i hope they change that in the next version.

also apple has a support twitter page now at https://twitter.com/applesupport.

oddly enough their official apple account has no tweets, but has secret ad tweets that tell me when i'm not using wireless, i could be using LTE! (on my ipad pro)... i feel like they're apple's worst ads since those dumb genius ones.

Color ware has you covered...

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Arivia posted:

I'm not doing anything in particular, but it's pretty loving absurd that a $3k CAD iMac ships in 2017 with the same amount of RAM (8gb) and VRAM (1gb) as my non-Retina 2012 MBP that I'm trying to upgrade from. I know that Apple offers options for more, but I shouldn't have to pay - it's like how they were still selling 16gb iPhones until, what, last year? Computer specs aren't always directly comparable, but I'm not complaining about an i5 having less clock speed than a P4, it's RAM. And for $3k, I want a computer that's going to last a good long while and be usable until the next time I can afford a new one. 8gb RAM is already a stretch today in some respects, let alone five years down the road like my MBP has lasted me. Yes, I know I can replace the RAM on a 27" iMac myself still, but I shouldn't have to.

(And I don't do much that's stressful. Playing WoW and occasionally having 50+ browser tabs open at a time is about the worst of it.)

Two words for you: Refurb Store. I paid I think $2100 for a refurb, and threw in a ton of extra ram. Ended up paying $2500 for 24 of ram, and software I need for my business. I do lots of photo editing (I'm a publisher) and always have Chrome and Safari open, 50+ tabs included. Runs like a dream.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Pivo posted:

To be honest these days if someone wants a powerful desktop and doesn't need Xcode I point them towards PCs. You can build a hell of a machine for 2k, and Apple just has nothing there worth discussing. Even laptops, LG Gram and XPS are pretty darn good, and I'm a fan of the Surface Book as I've posted before (but I didn't have to pay for it).

The rMBPs in a good config with enough SSD and RAM and a dGPU are 3000 CAD + and have been for the past few years, which really only makes sense if you aren't too attached to the money and are attached to OS X.

Upgrading my iPhone and MBP with more Apple gear used to be a sure thing, for at least a decade. Now I'm not so sure.

Still, though. We'll see.

You can build a hell of a machine for 2k, but you add in a 5k display and the fact that it's running Mac OS, and I don't see it. But then different use cases I guess. I'm running a business, 5k imac is the best tool for my job. If you want to play a lot of games, windows machine makes sense.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Pivo posted:

Nah man it's not just about games. Who games on a Mac? 5k display, okay, why not 4k? You have so many different options for huge pixel density in desktop panels, it's not like Apple has a monopoly on pixels.

FCPX, Xcode, what else is Mac exclusive but heavily used professionally?

Look, I enjoy my rMBP, but I just think professionals should take a serious look at whether they should depend on Apple for hardware anymore. I've been with 'em for over a decade but these past 2 years have not been good. Getting rid of the 17" MBP was step 1...

I'm an author and a publisher, so the difference in terms of pixel count actually matters to me a LOT. I'm staring at a screen 8-14 hours a day, 5-6 days a week. When you're spending all that time looking at text, the difference between 4K and 5k does add up, and made a difference for me. Not to mention, while windows has come a long way, it's not as clean. It just ins't. My apple poo poo just works, and gets out of my way so I can get my work done. I know other publisher's who do use windows, and they run into technically issues way more than I do. Don't get me wrong, I'm a major fanboy, but if it was truly better on the other side, I'd jump in a heartbeat.
I have another program called Vellum (made for publishing novels) that is mac based only as well. Scrivener is more fully featured on mac. Not to mention FaceTime, iMessage (that it works so seamlessly across all mac devices is HUGE. Snapchat works better on iPhone... the list slowly adds up more and more why it makes sense for this professional to stick in the ecosystem.

Also, as someone who plans on expanding his business to YouTube in the next year, FCPX is another major factor for sure.

Them getting rid of the SD card on the RMPB is a major bummer though. I think the 17 inch argument needs to die though. It's over and it's never coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Pivo posted:

Same could be said for your workflow.

Sent from my iPhone.

My workflow of an Imac working with iOS?