Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Word has it that Apple did a 4 year recall of any machine that broke with an nvidia 8600 M GT.

Mine has just blown (macbook pro, 15 inch) just outside the recall period. At least I assume this is the case since I am getting corrupted/flickering/glitching on startup. Oddly, using Apple Hardware Test seems to resolve it for a short period of time and finds nothing wrong. Then back to the glitching and freezing. It is definitely not my OS since I have seen the Apple Hardware test glitch up too.

Just for curiosity, has anyone ever been in a similar position? Wondering how they will handle my case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

It's over, as 1997 said. If you want to see repair extension / exchange programs that Apple has active NOW, look here:

http://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/

Ah, thanks guys. A shame, I planned to give it to someone. Lucky I bought my new machine before it broke, I guess. Might keep an eye on that page, I don't know how I didn't notice it.

If I was more techy and could pull apart a computer, apparently putting the board in the oven fixes it (saw on youtube) How they figured this out I have no idea-I always thought heat was bad for electronics?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

I figured it was too good to be true and/or permanent. Interesting read though-thanks for the info guys!

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

To be honest, I'd still give it a try. Even if it's just a temporary fix- if the computer is currently bricked and you can't afford to/it's not worth it to take it to a fruit stand and pay them to fix it, what have you got to lose?

You said you're not "techy" enough to take the computer apart. Frankly, MBPs have only gotten harder to disassemble as the years have passed and yours is old so it shouldn't be a nightmare. Just pop on iFixit or a YouTube tutorial, get whatever special tools you need (probably less than $10), and wing it.

Best case scenario, you get a few more months out of the notebook. Worst case, it ends up in basically the same condition it's in now.

I went with Choadmaster's advice, and the guy was quite nice to me actually. He asked me how long I'd been using macs, and I said I've owned various models since '92 and just bought the new iMac. He asked me for some serials of some of the more current machines, and I think this probably why they granted me a "one time fix."

If there is one thing to take away from this, it's that Apple support is quite good and you should be nice to them. I think this is about the 2nd or 3rd time I have ever had to ask for warranty from Apple since '92.

I did watch a sped up time lapse of some guy removing the board-might do this further down the track if there are more problems.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

fleshweasel posted:

hey guys I need to carry 8 tons of bricks to Montana. which Volvo should I get

edit: poo poo my car analogy falls apart as soon as I realize volvo makes a lot of trucks and buses

What this guy said. Apple's laptop lineup is not the greatest for gaming. You'd be better off with an iMac in my opinion, at least you can choose a beefier graphics card.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

tragick posted:

680MX, i5, 8GB (+16 from newegg). 3TB Fusion so no trying boot camp games until 10.8.3 I guess.

I just got the i7 with the 2GB 680MX. I haven't heard about this before, does it mean the graphics card doesn't work at all? I was hoping to play some games but also install some adobe programs.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

~Coxy posted:

I believe the issue was merely that 10.8.2 Boot Camp Assistant won't partition the 3GB disks in the new iMacs.

10.8.3 is now out which fixes that issue.

Ah, right. Thanks for that, i might grab it now.
For the lazy, here's what 10.8.3 does:

The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using Mac’s built-in camera
Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3TB hard drive
A Fix for an issue that could cause a file URL to quit apps unexpectedly
A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
A fix for an issue that causes audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
Includes Safari 6.0.3

Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/219821/apple-finally-releases-os-x-10-8-3-to-the-public/#m1AjYY3Rsf7SfvOg.99

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

benisntfunny posted:

Basically I'm not quite sure what to do about my USB port shortage problem because I don't trust a single hub available.

I researched this a week ago- the majority of USB 3.0 hubs are poo poo. I bought a targus 4 port- so far so good. Had good amazon ratings I think which is why I bought it.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Hey Guys, hopefully someone might be able to point me in the right direction. My brother is having problems with his machine constantly crashing. He's running 10.8.3.
He gets a black screen, then just restarts saying "it restarted because of a problem." He's done a clean install apparently.

If anyone could shed any light on what it could be, i'd be really thankful!
Specs are below:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0F
SMC Version (system): 1.58f17
Serial Number (system): (edited out)
Hardware UUID: (edited out)
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

the_lion fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 27, 2013

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Sonic Dude posted:

Since you didn't post your serial number I can't check, but it may be your logic board and you may qualify for a Repair Extension Program to get it fixed. Take it to Apple or an AASP and they can test for sure.

Ah right, I wasn't sure if it was a bad idea to write the serial number in so i removed it. It's W80195ZDAGZ

Where abouts is this place that you're checking it? I could only find http://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Sonic Dude posted:

Checking the serial number was basically a matter if seeing when it was made and what model it is. Since it's a 15" mid-2010, it may qualify for this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088

That said, you've got 19 more days of warranty coverage left and it's much easier to get it repaired under warranty than under the REP. Get ye to a service provider.

Brilliant, thanks a heap!

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

strokevictim posted:

New Late 2012 27" iMac has joined the family. It's amazing. Better than my 2010 model I use at work. Except for one thing... I am still a "buys CDs" guy, and lack of an optical drive is making it a bit difficult to add them to iTunes :) I have poked around Amazon and found a few Samsungs that look OK, but thought I'd see if the goon Apple nerd crowd had any buy/avoid advice on any models. I've not had to buy an external drive in a looonnngg time, since I put a 5.25' Panasonic in my linux system half a decade or more back. It's sitting in a Firewire external case now, but requires a power cable and too much desk space.

Any recommendations on a good small form factor laptop-style external?

LG make good ones from memory. I bought a Buffalo brand one for $50 Aus that works great, USB 2.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Neeksy posted:

I'm in the market for a new desktop machine. My MacBook Pro has served me well, but as an animator who works in motion graphics, I'm starting to need more processing power, disk space, and screen size.

At this point it's between getting an iMac or perhaps investing in the MacPro. (I'm upgrading to a Cintiq as well, which would serve as the monitor for the MacPro.)

The MacPro is nice because of the sheer power and expandability, but currently the I/O seems a little dated, and I'm not sure when they are going to upgrade that. The lack of expandability of the iMac is a little bit troubling, since I want to invest in a machine that will last me a long amount of time.

As a traditional animator I mainly use TVPaint, AfterEffects, Photoshop, Illustrator, and sometimes GarageBand (I am not the world's greatest sound designer), so I don't imagine myself needing the processing power of someone who works in, say, Maya or 3DStudioMax, etc. Would I really benefit from going with the MacPro tower, or is the built-in graphics card of the 27" iMac good enough for my purposes?

The other additional detail that may or may not become important, I'm not sure where I'm going to end up living, either across the US or possibly to Sweden, so a MacPro tower might be harder to transport due to its sheer weight. I heard the new 27" can be detached from the stand, so ostensibly putting it in a padded carrying case and walking it with me would be possible.

Also, I heard it's not too hard to install new RAM into the new iMac manually, so would it be much cheaper to newegg it rather than pay the Apple price?

I do motion graphics and bought the i7 iMac 27"- great machine. After effects, photoshop and illustrator all run great.

The macpro is a major ripoff until apple upgrades them, and they know it. Better off getting a 2gb video card instead in your iMac and installing your own ram.

If you're getting a cintiq and an iMac though, I hope you have a big desk...

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

Very easy, just pop open a hatch in the back and there are four slots you can fill, some already taken by Apple supplied RAM.

I haven't done this personally, planning on doing it later- is it worth replacing the whole lot with the exact same ram?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Man, macrumors. If you read into the article, they basically said "we heard from the kid down the road's friend that Apple are going to do something amazing and mindblowing."
That's not news. I also don't see how they will do anything different. It's a computer, unless they add wheels to it or something.

I wouldn't hold your breath or anything. It'll be expensive as poo poo, whatever it is. If you have the know how, probably better to make yourself a hackintosh.
It's pretty feasible, a lot of my friends have had their running for a couple of years now.

(For the record, I once bought a G4 tower. Good machine for back then)

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

So uh, i've been working late night on my iMac (Late 2012) model.
I'm running after effects in the background stabilising some footage. I'm also watching a youtube video at the same time.
I do this a lot, and the youtube video started glitching up. It wasn't just this one video, they all started to do it.

It looks like this.

Obviously, i'm a little nervous. I have Applecare, but does this mean that my graphics card is probably on the fritz?
Using menu meters, it doesn't seem like it's too hot or anything. The fans aren't kicking in.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

Download some fan control program (this one is good) and crank up the fans and see if it helps.

Thanks dude! Gonna grab that fan app.

I've gone to bed and it seems to not be doing it at the moment.
Is it possible to just be a one off glitch? Last time I had something like this, it was a known fault in my 2008-2009 macbook pro's graphics card.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

BobHoward posted:

It is possible. I've seen weird graphical glitches caused by driver bugs, and sometimes those bugs are pretty rare.

Speaking of that -- did you reboot by any chance? Some video driver bugs show up mainly when the system has been up a long time, and can be cleared away by restarting the OS. (Because they're issues with video card memory allocation, and the longer the system is up the more chances there are for memory management bugs to cause buffers to stomp on each other, or whatever.)

Gotcha. Good to know.

Did a quick reboot - it might have just be a RAM thing because i'm not seeing it at the moment while doing the same thing. Hopefully i'm good!

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

It's my first time installing ram.
In fact, the first time I've opened a mac ever!

Late 2012 iMac, top model.

Anything I should be careful of? Looks simple in videos. Did notice the guy didn't have an earthing strap, are they necessary?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

BobHoward posted:

Cool RAM installing stuff

This worked a treat, thank you!

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

I'm thinking about connecting two macs with an ethernet cable, so I can transfer stuff quickly between the two.

One is an iMac 13,2 and the other is a Macmini 3,1.

Is any old Cat6 patch cable what I need? I read you don't have to use crossover cables for this anymore.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Has Apple's support gone majorly downhill or is it just the people I'm dealing with? Been with them for 30 years. The support I've gotten is very bad.

Long story short: bought an iMac, major problems for over 6 months. They claimed nothing was wrong with it despite having crazy video card glitches etc and crashes every 4 hours. Done 6-7 clean reinstalls on it, same poo poo.

One time I rang Apple, they put me on hold 6 times and hung up on me. Seems like the opposite of the Apple I've dealt with previously. I just want them to resolve the issue, not sure what the hell is going on.

I've done all the stuff I can do like take it in and have Apple service it as well as contact The Department of Fair Trading in Australia. Seems like I have to kick it up to NCAT or court. :(

Disappointing, because I really like Apple...

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Kingnothing posted:

You say you've taken it in and had apple service it. Can you be a little more specific as to what they serviced?

AppleCare on the phone will have a very hard time with intermittent video issues as they can't see it. My suggestion to you is to find the exact way to reproduce it and have them reproduce it at the store so they can troubleshoot. In addition, I would note the EXACT day and time it last happens before you bring it in so they can dig in console and see what it's spitting out. Taking it into a store (not going to assume, but based on the way you worded it it sounds like once) and then calling the department of fair trade is certainly not all you can do to get it fixed.

Don't waste your time with courts. It'll get you nowhere.

No, this thing has been serviced at least twice. The last time they said they replaced the logic board.

I already showed them the screenshots and videos of examples in store. I have wrote down the crash times and dates for the next time I take it in. From what I gather from console, spindump is happening a lot whatever that is.

Choadmaster posted:

^^^ That

Find some way to reproduce the issue on demand is the most important step. That way, they can't claim it's fixed or "we were unable to reproduce it." Then bring it into the store, show them, and it should get fixed (or replaced).

I had many months of runaround from Applecare about one of my Minis (something like 5 or 6 visits to the store including 4 repairs and two calls to AppleCare attempting to escalate the issue) and jack poo poo got fixed until I found a way to consistently reproduce the problem.

It appears to be time based because the machine will do it around being turned on for 4 hours.

Bummer about the Mac mini but after reading this it seems it's not just me-AppleCare is not what it used to be. :(

Mainly, I'm just angry that after 10 calls and 2 visits they can't just replace the thing.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Kingnothing posted:

They're not just going to replace it because based on your explanation it could be software or use.

Have you tried a fresh install, WITHOUT restoring from any sort of backup?

What are you doing for those 4 hours? If your pushing the machine super hard for 4 straight hours, it's totally possible to create graphics issues.

Do you have any third party parts like memory, hard drive, etc? Those could all cause this as well.

I've done 5-7 clean installs of Mavericks. I had the problem before we installed more ram. Everything else is stock.

During the 4 hours, generally the machine is idle or running basic web browsing. Most days it will crash overnight. I am doing Photoshop and video stuff but lately I haven't done anything super taxing (eg no 16 hour renders or 6GB photoshop files).

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

So finally my warranty dispute with Apple has been resolved: my machine was a dud and they've decided to replace it.

The machine I have is the Late 2012 iMac (13,2) - the 3.4ghz core i7 with a 1TB fusion drive.

I haven't got the specs in writing, but since they don't make the same machine any more it's either going to be the new 3.4GHz i5 or the 3.5Ghz i7 with the solid state 512GB drive.

I'm just a bit confused in terms of whether I will see a difference in either model in terms of speed. I haven't really kept up with the ivy/haswell jump or speeds in general.
What i'm trying to figure out is whether I ask to shell extra for the i7.

For anyone curious, I do really heavy Adobe After Effects and Photoshop.

(For anyone interested in backstory, basically Apple fixed it 3-4 times and I still have a crashing regularly issue. Was a great machine when it worked but the crashes were 5-6 times a day. The most recent one made it not bootable. These things happen, not mad about it being a dud-these things happen, more just annoying.).

the_lion fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 13, 2014

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

BobHoward posted:

The tech spec comparison between the 2013 iMac i5 and i7 CPUs is here. The i7's advantages:

100 MHz higher clock speed (both base and max turbo)
8MB L3 cache (compared to 6MB on the i5)
Hyperthreading - Lets each CPU core execute two threads simultaneously. Not as fast as two real CPU cores, but throughput is better than executing one thread on the same core. The benefit varies by application.

The 100 MHz and 2MB extra L3 cache probably aren't worth a lot. Maybe 5%. Hyperthreading depends on the application software: if you run programs that have lots of threads, you will like hyperthreading a whole lot. If you never use more than four threads it's worthless.

I did some searching and found Adobe's performance guide for After Effects. It claims that AE will use many, many threads, and NVidia GPUs too. Therefore, you probably want the i7 (and since your original machine was an i7 I'd say you have a right to expect that the replacement should have one too).

Great answer -thank! Glad I asked, because yeah- I sure do use hyper threading apps and that sounds handy.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

I've got a Samsung EVO 850 1TB drive in an external USB case.

Every time I plug it in, without fail i'm getting a kernel panic. On reboot though, it's 100% fine.
Any idea what actually might be causing this?

(Using a late 2013 iMac, 27" version).

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

What OS, what enclosure? Assuming you tried different ports and cables.

In my * anecdotal * experience, 27-inch metal iMacs can have flaky ports that nobody notices until they have to use all of their ports because they're too lazy to buy a hub.. and its a royal pain to have to switch out the entire logic board because 1-2 ports aren't working right.

I like the Inateck, Anker, Vantec, and Sabrent enclosures and hubs as they take pains to actually actively support MacOS other than printed blurb lip service, and they offer firmware updates on their equipment where available.

Just on this topic: how does one prove if one has a dodgy port?

Man, I do not have luck with iMacs. :(
This might make sense - a flaky port. Most ports it craps out on, plugged straight into the machine.
I have one 7 port hub and another one (forget brands off the top of my head), i've tried everything I can think of except new enclosure.

Things I tried:
-New cable
-Into a usb Hard disk dock (works fine)
-Into the 4 different usb ports on the back
-Into a hub, plugged into each of the 4 usb ports.
-Tried on a different machine (works fine)

Time to try a new hub+ enclosure I guess.

I'm running 10.11.3.
Thanks heaps for this, I think you might be on the right track.

the_lion fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 10, 2016

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Can I use my late 2013 imac as an external monitor for my new windows pc when I build it?

Just curious, a lot of Google searches point to older imac being able to do this.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Xabi posted:

I'm thinking of getting a PC for gaming. Is there a simple way of combining that with the 2013 iMac I already have? Boot Camp isn't really an alternative because there's not enough juice in the iMac itself. Can I easily use the iMac as an external monitor for the PC? Or is the best (and, alas, the most expensive) solution to get both a PC and a monitor?

Pretty sure target monitor (ie use imac as external monitor) doesn't work for the 2013, because I tried on mine heaps of times. Go for the monitor.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

My dad has a MacBook Pro 13,1 (2016) and when he turns it on, two minutes after it will shut down. It will say low battery. If you plug it in, it will say the battery is full.

It's currently running High Sierra.

Any idea on what it might be?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

I am a motion graphics / video editor looking to buy a new machine for work. I work a lot in After effects / davinci and premiere.

For context, I'm currently using a maxed out 2019 iMac 5k with 64gb ram. We handle a lot of 7k red footage in our edits.

I'm currently torn between buying the M1 pro or Max MacBook 14" pro but to get 64gb ram I need a max. The price is $4,349 vs $5249 Australian dollars.

I've always rocked 32gb ram at home, I'm just wondering does anyone have a go to hardware test or YouTube channel that have done tests that isn't one of those shill channels? $5k for a laptop is kinda at the edge of my budget, that's a lot of dollarydoos.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Given you currently use an iMac, Do you specifically need a laptop? Because a base model Mac studio with the ram upgraded to 64gb is AUD 3700.

Even if you upgrade to 32gpu cores and a TB of storage it’s still going to be cheaper than a 14” MacBook Pro with the M1 pro.

I considered this but the tests I saw said that the Mac studio is just as powerful as the laptop. A laptop I can take with me and render projects onsite where as a Mac studio I have to hope the boss will let me work from home that day which doesn't always happen.

The test I saw was on Max Tech on YouTube, though they could be wrong.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

So I'm looking for a USB C hub that will allow me to either plug in my monitor (HDMI or USB C) that will work with my work iMac (and later on my M1 MacBook Pro when I buy it.)

Turns out not all USB C hubs are created equal and some of them advertise compatibility with charging but don't. Looking around, they also vary from $20 all the way up to $150.

Anyone have any sound buying advice? Prefer to have some USB C or USB A ports if possible.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

The Caldigit USB-C HDMI dock is pretty solid, I know a few people who own it, it allows you to hook up two 4K external monitors and provides 94W of charging power. It has USB-A ports, Ethernet, and even an SD card slot that runs at UHS II speeds (like you need another unless you buy an Air or 13-inch Pro which don't have one)

Not bad for $80.. Anker 8-in-1 Power Expand is a good USB-C hub too for about the same price but only provides 84W charging.

Sheesh, BTOs direct from Apple now show a ship date of late July if you order now..

The long adapters tend to elevate your SSD closer to the casing than the short ones and may cause issues if you buy one of those double-sided SSDs (RAM on both sides of chip.) I stick with the shorties from Sintech, other brands I've tried have either been problematic OOTB or become that later.

This was super helpful. Thanks!

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

squirrelzipper posted:

So my much delayed 16" shipped 'early' (ordered March 8th, delayed to late June but arrived yesterday) and is here. I get the hype. This thing not only is running rings around my 2019 i9 that I just shipped off, but it just never gets hot. Like never mind my pro work - it is so much better at Resolve and even Adobe PS/AE it's silly - but also FFXIV was a 20 - 35 fps experience and fans would go crazy to the point I needed noise cancelling headphones. Now - no matter what I'm doing, work or play, this thing stays cool and quiet. Oh, and FFXIV, which is Crossover to Rosetta 2, is 60 - 75 fps with Gshade. This thing is awesome. DaVinci Resolve is so fast I'm at a loss at how I used it before and it was still better than Premiere. And the keyboard is fantastic. Love this thing. Love it. Love it. Yes I'm gushing. If you're on an Intel Mac and you like Macs and you're wondering, it's very much worth it.

e; oh and the screen is loving amazing. Even MicroSoft Teams doesn't make it get loud or hot. And it's still Intel. Teams destroyed my 2019.

e2; should add a negative to be fair, it's a chunky boy. but it has an HDMI port. but yeah its chunkier than the one it replaces. but also has no touchbar and proper function keys.

This is the review I was looking for. Can you comment on the amount of ram you put in yours and the amount of storage?

I've been using a 2019 iMac with 64gb ram and am considering a 16" with 32gb ram using premiere/after effects and davinci.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

squirrelzipper posted:

So, I admit I went overboard. I've owned many MacBooks going back to the TiBook. My favourite prior to this one was a 2013 i7 with 16 GB ram. It was awesome. I replaced it a few years ago with the 2019 i9 with 32 GB ram. It was not what I expected. It wasn't bad, just not great. That's just for context.

This machine is the M1 Max, 64 GB RAM, 1TB local storage, 32 core GPU. Might be excessive. But I'm a creative director who does contract work as well, so Photoshop, Premiere, AE, Resolve, and InDesign/Illustrator all matter a lot. I don't do still photography so Lightroom etc. don't matter as much to me, I hear they work great. Most of my work is stored either on my company's OneDrive or my own CC storage, or other cloud storage and I have TBolt local drives so having a big HD in the laptop doesn't matter. On local shoot stuff my role is further down the pipe, I can see if you were a DP or something you might want more.

Keeping in mind it's only been 1.5 days, today I re-did a 2:30 corporate trade show video in AE/Resolve that had a lot of motion effects and tracking and it was such a pleasure. Not that the i9 was bad, but this was much better. No jaggy poo poo scrubbing the timeline, export was loving instant. I hear Premiere is good, tbh I can't speak to that yet, I've gotten to the point I hate Premiere and would rather deal with ex/im out of Resolve to work in AE than deal with Premiere, but colleagues say it works great.

e; I think the Max with 32GB would be absolutely fine, I kind of pressed all the sliders to max like an RPG when I ordered but from what I've seen so far anyway I'm not sure 64 is measurably better on daily workflow.

e2; oh and the loving screen on this thing is amazing, seriously this is the best display any MacBook has ever had. 120hz, HDR, mini-led blacks. It's loving stupid good. Also, Resolve is so crazy fast on this machine, I should check Premiere but holy poo poo - Resolve grading on this machine is near instant. Fusion is real-time. It's so fun.

Great info! Thank you. My user case is very similar to yours actually.