Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

No. 6 posted:

I'm getting some really odd issues with my graphics just beginning today. I've never experienced any problems in the past. It starts when playing Diablo III and the screen does all kinds of hosed up stuff so I think my video card is going bad. I've already tried uninstalling and re installing drivers.

I made a lovely video that shows what's happening, look around 1 minute mark for the worst of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOzy-Y7K6ms

Shall I drag my 8 month old iMac over to the Mac store or what?

Yup. Artifacting and screen garbles like that are definitely a sign of a GPU starting to poo poo itself. To the fruit market you go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

cbirdsong posted:

If Apple ditches ethernet, they may decide to include two Thunderbolt ports instead, which should allow for two standard monitors with adapters?

Because the second monitor will totally make up for not being able to wire on to a lan.

Edit: Hell at this rate apple will probably just remove Firewire/USB/Displayport/Ethernet/Wireless and include 7 thunderbolt ports so you have to get two adapters for your monitor, an adapter for your USB, one for ethernet, and your Apple Brand Wireless Thunderbolt Dongle!

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Jabe posted:

Would it be incredibly stupid to cancel my macbook pro retina order and just buy a 2011 i7 8 gig ram SSD 27 inch iMac instead ?

I really don't need the portability and I already have a decent working core 2 duo macbook pro. I just want to have the power to run the full app list of adobe's Master suite and maybe Unity / Diablo 3.

Incredibly stupid? No a short-sighted case of buyers remorse? probably.

If you really don't need the portability, get yourself a dock and just drive an external monitor at home. If you ever need to go anywhere, what luck! You have a laptop.

No reason to buy old technology when you've already ordered the new stuff. Bonus Points: Sell your old macbook pro, someone will always want it.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Vidmaster posted:

So what kind of external optical drive should I look into getting for my MBP:TNG? Are the apple ones worth the extra money or can I just get a cheap one from Amazon?

any cheap USB DVDRW works fine. I use an LG.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

It's priced well because they want to sell a lot of them. Keeping it under $2500 for the base model means more sales.

Also I'd assume that just the general price of technology from their production facilities are allowing them to keep the same profit margin at lower costs. Closed systems are pretty profitable.

It's apparent even in some of their upgrade packages. 16GB of ram for $200 is 50% higher than buying your own 16GB Mac memory off newegg, not a bad proprietary markup, especially for a system you probably can't easily change the ram yourself in. The 128GB SSD upgrade for a normal mac pro is $300, thats somewhere between $100-$150 more than replacing it yourself, sure, but apple uses some decent quality SSDs with really good transfer rates.

Technology costs almost always go down as things mature and even the mighty apple is starting to realize lower price points draw in more users.

Edit: If you meant "Why is that a good price" then the answer is because Apple is dialing down the price for good technology. Those level of specs used to be a $3000 17" Macbook Pro.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 12, 2012

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

Oh I know that. He's saying it should be regular 15" MBP pricing. $1799 for that machine would be giving it away.

Oh then tell him he's a total loving moron for thinking better specs with a massively improved display isn't worth a $300 price hike.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Man it's gonna be a long 2 weeks waiting for my new MBP.

Went with the 2.3Ghz 16GB option. :unsmith:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Comrade Flynn posted:

drat it, everyone has me second guessing my 8gb decision.

Don't second guess on account of me. I'll be running virtual instances of Server 2k8 / Win 7 / Win XP. Mines a giant testing box on the go.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

At this point we don't even know if the memory is removable or if nevermind ^^^^ it's soldered to the board, but honestly for a 16GB kit of 1333, $200 isn't too bad.

Buying it yourself would cost you $100-$120, plus the time to take the fucker apart, and probably voiding your warranty if apple wants to keep these things non-user upgradable.

ptier posted:

Same, as long as I am going to be deving out on this thing, might as well give it all the ram it can take for my VMs.

Have you used Fusion 4 yet? I haven't had the chance. Whats the max number of VMs you can have running at one time?

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 12, 2012

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Alright. Thats good. I'll probably be running 3-4 instances of Server 2k8 and Win7 XP all at the same time, so that shouldn't be too bad.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

poo poo, bookmarked. I'll give it a whirl when the new mbp gets in, but I'm making my company pay for fusion 4 either way.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Galg posted:

Im looking at the tech specs page for the retina MBP and I'm kind of confused.

It says "Native Mini DisplayPort Output" but right over that it says "Thunderbolt digital video output". Am I going to be able to reuse the Mini DisplayPort -> DVI adapter I have or will I have to buy a new adapter?

Retina MBP Ports:

MagSafe 2 power port
Two Thunderbolt ports (up to 10 Gbps)
Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
HDMI port
Headphone port
SDXC card slot
Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (sold separately)
Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (sold separately, available July)

Thunderbolt is based on DisplayPort tech. Mini Displayport can plug directly into a Thunderbolt port and work just fine.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Ziploc posted:

Anyone have dimension comparisons between the current 15 and 13 inch MBPs?

It still says 15.4inch diagonal screen right? Since it's taller at 4:3 doesn't that mean it's not as wide as a 15inch MBP?

Apples website has dimension comparisons.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Comrade Flynn posted:

What's the return policy like? I ordered a 8gb and 16gb to test; but how long will I have to return? Is there a fee involved?

Return policy on Apple stuff is 14 days unopened.

If you open it they charge you a 15% restock fee. So in short: Return the 8GB, take the 16GB.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why do you guys need 16 GB of RAM?

Because Running OSX, and Windows 7, and Windows XP, and 3-4 instances of Server 2008 R2 all on the same machine at the same time for development purposes takes a lot of memory.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Apple does not charge a restocking fee

Then this changed from the last time I thought about returning something. The guys at the fruit stand specifically told me 14 Days Full Refund on non-opened laptops, opened product was exchange or a 10%-15% restock fee.

Maybe they don't do that anymore.

Apple posted:

Return and Refund Policy

All we ask is that you send it back to us with the original receipt (or gift receipt) and original packaging (including any accessories, manuals, documentation and registration that shipped with the product) within 14 calendar days of the issuance of the RMA. If the item is returned within this timeframe, we'll exchange it or offer a refund based upon the original payment method. If the item is returned unopened in the original box, we will offer you a refund based on your original method of payment.

Maybe they went to Opened items exchange only unless defective?

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 13, 2012

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

While apple sort-of has a history of their second revision to a new product line being a worthwhile boost from it's initial debut, I'd wager to say that the drivers for the 650M aren't fully matured for the Retina Display's scaling capabilities.

Once the models have been in circulation for a few months and apple gets a chance to refine the way the OS / GPU handle things like display scaling, we'll probably see marked improvement for things like choppiness while dragging windows at 1920x1200 and the like.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Splash Attack posted:

Torn between that and the probably more responsible 'get the less expensive model for now, wait for the eventual cheaper next-generation version later'.

I'm doing the 'give myself a week and see how I feel' thing before I buy though.

I really don't think the price of the retina display models will come down for a while (and I mean longer than next years refresh). It's most likely the reason that the old 13" and 15" models were not completely replaced. E: It's already been pointed out a few times in this thread how the price is already amazingly low for the technology inside the case, considering apples usual hardware pricing schemes.

The real answer to your question comes down to how frequently do you get the itch to throw away your current hardware and buy the next new shiny thing. If you keep you gear for long stretches of time, you won't need to regret picking up a retina model now.

If you buy one now and decide you like next years better and can't live without it... whelp.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

My new retina MBP is replacing my 2004 iBook. :whatup:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

So call apple and report the incident, and give them the name of the CSR you talked to.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Does Apple not realize how over-priced the regular 15" is?

Take the base model 15" Pro up to 8GB, 256GB SSD, and the high-res screen = $2,499

Of course, you could do $1,799 + $50 (8GB) and $199 (256GB SSD on sale) + $100 for the screen updgrade, but you're still at $2,149

The 8GB/256GB MBR starts at $2,199 that makes no loving sense.

The 13" better still be $1199 when it comes out.

I don't think they care if anyone buys the Normal 15" MBP at this point. It's clear they'll phase it out in the next few years if the RMBP is well received.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Daric posted:

What would I need a Windows partition for?

Because unless you're going to use the not-so-awesome OS X port of Skyrim (Ciderwrapper or Wineskin required) you're going to need Windows to run a windows game.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Good thing bootcamp can do it for you! :science: Just run bootcamp and follow the prompts!

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Refreshes every one to two years. Sometimes amazing, sometimes minor changes. You get used to the edge after a while.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

calcio posted:

AppleCare won't cover the battery worn out under normal conditions. They will only cover it if it's a defect. $200 and having to have it shipped back to them is pretty lovely to replace a battery.
http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/service/battery/

Proof that a way to replace your own battery will be available just as soon as someone figures our how Apple glued the drat thing down and makes a solvent to remove it that wont damage the trackpad ribbon cable.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The website says Battery Replacement same day at an apple store with appointment.

Pretty sure theres an easy way to replace that battery that Apple doesn't want people to know.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Just to touch on the point of resale value for apple products, my 2009 Macbook Pro 13" that I paid $1000 for after a discount sold (with no effort at all, sold it in 12 hours) for $700 in 2011.

Reselling Apple products is cake and their value retention is fantastic.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

You found a sucker.

at the time I think the average value for it online was around $600-ish so it wasn't too bad.

Dude really wanted a macbook, what can I say!

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

flyboi posted:

Part of me wants to give it to my partner, he has a POS Sony with a broken keyboard but I'm certain he'd hate a mac as he's very afraid of change. I never did the extension so it expired in February.

Mac2sell is retarded, because it says my laptop is worth $2500 when a new one is like $2000 if that in the refurb store.

Gazelle.com (pretty reliable) says right around $1000 for your machine and thats not including the 16GB of ram over 8, so I'd say at $1300 you're making out pretty decent. Take it and get a free air!

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's the best way to clean my old MBP? Can I just use Windex on the screen since it's a glass panel? What do I use to clean the keyboard (and trackpad) of small bit of grease?

You can use windex but over the long term the screen will start to yellow because of the compounds Apple uses in their displays. The best way to clean it is always a lint free cloth and filtered water. Same for the keyboard and trackpad.

If you've got something particularly nasty on the keyboard/trackpad I use rubbing alcohol.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Aww, no side LEDs for battery charge? Shame, I liked those.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Citrix View has some reported issues with Safari in mountain lion, but they're on the "we know" list and are being looked at. Some people experience citrix app crashes or the inability to connect at all.

e: for the record I stopped by the fruit stand to check out the display MBPRs since I'm still waiting for mine to ship and they did not suffer from the jittery laggy slideshow effect other people have said.

Maybe apple just pushed some bad images to a few store demos.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 19, 2012

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Holy poo poo Apple finally shipped my MBPr. So for anyone wondering my order was placed on Wednesday after the Keynote. Adjust your delivery expectations accordingly. :woop:

I will make sure to stop back and give a quick briefing on how VMware Fusion performance is on the machine after I've had a chance to toy with it.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Trip Report since I said I'd come back and drop an update.

Using a USB3 enclosure and an SSD to run my VMs off VMware Fusion. 15" Retina w/ 16GB of RAM.

So far I'm running 3 Instances of Server 2k8 R2, one with SQL Server, a copy of Windows 7 x64, and Win XP Pro SP3 simultaneously and the machine suffers 0% slowdown. Definitely can't complain about performance on this laptop. VMs boot in under 10 seconds and I have no graphical lag switching between VMs or the base OSX install.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Bonobos posted:

What is your ram usage for such a setup? I intend to do something similar, and debating between 8gb and 16gb, and if you can handle all the able on 8gb I am not going to spring for the extra ram to just sit there and do nothing.

It really depends on what you're going to be running. I'm using mine for testing central deployment services for updates and antivirus and a few other things, so right now the breakdown is 2GB for DC1 (Primary DC/DHCP Server), 2GB for DC2 (Which acts as a file server / print server), 8GB for the third server running SQL, and I only gave 1GB to each of the workstation instances.

Really I couldn't do what I'm doing on 8GB of ram and have leftover for OSX to operate functionally.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Bonobos posted:

Arg now I am second guessing how much I will need.

Any one know if I can return the machine if I don't like it if I upgrade the ram? I know you used to be not able to return CTO for any reason but I do not know if that has changed...

just get the 16GB option. It's $200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

As someone who just moved from a 2015 MBPR to a 2018/2019 model... The keyboard isn't as good as the the 2015s, however its still perfectly servicable. What is not at all acceptable, however, is this loving garbage dick rear end piece of trash OLED bar.

I have wasted more time with this stupid oled touch bar inputting poo poo because my fingers had the audacity to graze the surface of it. I wish I could just turn the loving thing off. Its horrid. Since my hands are fairly large when I contort them to enter keyboard shortcuts I frequently wind up with my ring or small finger grazing or resting over the F keys. Since they're a loving touch bar instead of a goddamn actual key now it inputs whatever my finger touches every time.

The oled bar is completely useless and apple should have dropped the thing like the hot steaming sack of poo poo it is as soon as they modified the drat laptop to put the rubber bits around the keys so your pop tart crumbs stop bricking your laptop.

Tim Cook sucks.

Also make a loving iPad Pro that runs touch-enabled OSX with two USB-C ports you assholes. I'm tired of carrying a laptop just to console cable into things and I don't want a drat surface because Windows sucks more than this oled touch bar.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 29, 2019