Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Annexed posted:

I did some hardware upgrades to my early 2011 MBP this weekend and I never thought that adding an SSD would make that much of a difference but wow does it ever. It almost makes me wish I would have put it in my desktop instead.

One question I do have is does anyone know off hand why apple didn't roll out the firmware upgrade for power nap to the early 2011 models? Is it an Ivy bridge vs sandy bridge thing? Not that it really matters much its just something I'd like to have and can't see the reason why they didn't.

According to John Siracusa's Mountain Lion review, Power Nap only works with flash storage (spinning a hard disk up requires spinning up fans, which basically makes it pointless) so it won't be supported on anything outside of MBAs and rMBPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Thanatus posted:

What is the difference in terms of performance between the 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 and the 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7? I am looking into either purchasing the 2.3GHz macbook pro or the 2.6GHz macbook pro base model? However, if I get the 2.3GHZ, I'll probably get the 750GB HD and install some RAM myself.

Also, are the high-res screen options worth the extra $100 or is the difference only noticeable by people working with videos and photos?

For reference, I'll be using my macbook for school, gaming, and probably some music software. I'm trying to pick one that will last four years.

I just did this myself (should be here on Thursday). You want the ~$2200 2.6 quad-core 15" model for longevity's sake; it has 1GB of VRAM on the 650M while the 2.3 quad core only ships with 512. Huge difference, will definitely add some more life to your new MBP.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dissss posted:

What outside of games needs that much video memory?

Probably nothing you would be doing unless you're an engineering student living on an MBP for some reason. However, for the person I responded to and myself, both students with gaming needs, it is important and will definitely make a Mac last longer.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

isomerc posted:

I can safely say that I'm worried about the future of personal computers if this is to become a thing. Integrated components will be the death of an entire industry. Imagine a world in which we can't swap parts out, upgrade components, and local repair shops are a thing of the past.

Luckily it's already blown up in Apple's face at least once with the energy requirements for governmental purchasing. It's dumb and bad and stupid all the way down, really.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shmoogy posted:

They're actually back on the EPEAT listings with all their products, including the rMBP.

Oh god. :cry:

duck monster: no, but clips do mean less space for the battery itself or other things. Compare a traditional SATA laptop interface to the vestigial connectors used in the rMBP and the current MBA; Apple engineers the hell out of their laptop (well, everything, really) interiors to try and make everything fit as best as possible, so I can see why they would want to cut down on as much inner cruft in the space to prefer greater performance overall.

It's problematic for its side-effects, but the basic goal is understandably sane.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
ONEMANWOLFPACK, have you looked at a tear down of a rMBP/MBA/Mini? That glue over latches is that important because there is that little space in them. The tolerances are incredibly tight. If you compare the rMBP and the other 2012 MBP it makes sense to glue the batteries in because that gluing directly results in Apple being able to redesign and narrow the chassis. It's not money-grubbing paranoia, it's artifice in the best sense.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jealous Cow posted:

I really wonder what's going to happen with the MacPro.

Tim did say there were going to be updates in 2013 at WWDC, IIRC.

japtor: sure, the Mini has standard bays but you're still layering hard disks on top of each other and pulling the logic board out to get stuff to fit. It's not completely proprietary, but you can definitely see how the form factor influences the internals. It's a good example.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Haggins posted:

That's not bad considering that replacement batteries for models that have pop out batteries are $130.

My battery has gone to poo poo on my 08 MPB but I can't justify replacing it when my computer rarely leaves the house.

I don't know if a 08 is one of the models affected, but a good chunk are throttled down to 50% CPU speed with no or little battery. That makes it worthwhile.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NOTinuyasha posted:

The retina has been out for two months, and Haswell isn't due until March-June. If you're threshold for "might as well just wait" is about a year, and you're looking to buy an Apple laptop, I have some bad news for you...

Haswell is probably going to smooth out the performance issues with the rMBP, so if you can wait a year it is worth it. Same thing as all Apple products: never buy the first model.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I transferred apps when I did mine, and it worked out just fine. My biggest bug was that right-clicking in the omnibar was crashing Safari; turned out to just be nothing giving it a chance to redo the menu after some TextWrangler changes.

So the migration works well, it's just a little cranky; it will sort itself out given like three reboots.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Just turn on Drag Lock under Universal Access and save yourself the troubles.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Don't use coconutBattery. It's old, it's outdated, you'd probably have better luck if you tried divining your battery's health using a pile of chicken guts.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

You can get away with the non retina for Maya but it might be easier to work with it although I don't know how well that works if Maya UI is totally unscaled and super tiny.

I'd be worried about refresh rate problems. Just get the best 15" non-Retina and pay for the screen upgrade.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So this is a bit odd. I accidentally had my backpack with my MBP in it fall off a counter today and now it won't lay flat on a surface - it's like a wobbly table with one uneven leg. My guess is that one of the four rubber feet got messed up, but are they replaceable? (Under AppleCare, no negative effects otherwise, short fall.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You can check if your iMac is still covered by AppleCare on apple.com. Regarding taking it to a store, I've heard people say that if you ask Fruit Stand employees for help carrying Macs into the store, they will happily oblige.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The i7 is worth it if you're planning on raiding or doing large-scale BGs in WoW, where the game is CPU-bound, especially if you're logging/running Recount.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Legdiian posted:

They shipped this week and people have been receiving them. I would expect a tear down in the next few days.

Pictures of the new 27" torn apart on Ars Technica.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Is there a file or a plist or whatever I can delete to reset the trackpad behaviour? Mine is acting up, and I'm not sure if there's anything else I can do before taking it to a Fruit Stand (already reset SMC and PRAM.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm looking at buying an iMac, but wow are the current offerings bad and outdated. I know MacRumours says don't buy, but do we have any indications about an update? I'm guessing WWDC at the latest, but June is a long way away. (I'm upgrading from a 2012 MBP I've basically trashed.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They might update the iMac but that's it. Mac desktop is done

Ugh. I just don't need portability that much and I'd really like something that I'm less likely to ruin by spilling water on because I'm a loving klutz.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The mac lineup is courageous

No it's brave. Like people call Amy Schumer brave for showing off her body.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LionArcher posted:

What are you doing that makes it truly outdated? Bought one in November after they weren't refreshed, and aside from an occasionally weird wakes it up from sleep mode bug it's the best desktop I've ever owned. Photoshop user,plenty of browser tabs open etc.

I'm not doing anything in particular, but it's pretty loving absurd that a $3k CAD iMac ships in 2017 with the same amount of RAM (8gb) and VRAM (1gb) as my non-Retina 2012 MBP that I'm trying to upgrade from. I know that Apple offers options for more, but I shouldn't have to pay - it's like how they were still selling 16gb iPhones until, what, last year? Computer specs aren't always directly comparable, but I'm not complaining about an i5 having less clock speed than a P4, it's RAM. And for $3k, I want a computer that's going to last a good long while and be usable until the next time I can afford a new one. 8gb RAM is already a stretch today in some respects, let alone five years down the road like my MBP has lasted me. Yes, I know I can replace the RAM on a 27" iMac myself still, but I shouldn't have to.

(And I don't do much that's stressful. Playing WoW and occasionally having 50+ browser tabs open at a time is about the worst of it.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So I stopped by the Fruit Stand and wow I really like the current iMac models. Those screens are incredible. How well do they run with the scaling turned off? (so resolution pushed to max) Running a bunch of stuff side by side would be pretty great I think.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TACD posted:

Just in case you're not aware, the iMacs haven't been updated in almost a year and a half. If you can wait, you'll be able to get a much better machine when Apple (hopefully) updates them (though I wouldn't be surprised if any new iMacs also lose all their ports).

Yep, I'm waiting until the refresh. I just went to the Fruit Stand because I'm not very familiar with the iMac form factor - though a couple minutes spent definitely sold me on getting one when it comes out.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

lol if you ever actually have to physically click stuff with an mbp touchpad

When I went to the Fruit Stand every trackpad had tap to click turned off. It was horrifying.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fistful of Silence posted:

Yeah, it's crazy to me that you all can leave tap-to-click on. I tried it for like a month and got so many false clicks I had to go back.

It's really really good if you have long nails. That's one thing I really like about Mac peripherals - they work no matter your nail length.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Considering that the Mac Pro is Apple's only "Made In America" product and since Trump went after them for just that, I wouldn't be surprised to see a low-effort Pro upgrade or revamp to keep the Orange-in-Chief happy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Well the red is enough to convince me to get a 7 instead of an SE, at least.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh no my phone looks smaller and can no longer substitute for my dick

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Housh posted:

Spring is new computer time!

Yep! Got my dosh, now I'm just waiting on the announcement (or lack thereof) of new iMacs to figure out what I want to do.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Sweet. Definitely waiting on that new iMac with pro options, then.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

Somebody pinch me, I can't believe Apple actually

1) Apologized
2) Pre-announced a major loving upgrade to a product line
3) Did it a loving year in advance

The Xeons and the GPUs (advanced Vega for sure) they want won't be ready until next year anyway...

Looking at the various articles, it looks like Apple really got the worries that a lot of people in the last few pages of this thread were expressing. They knew people were worried Apple was done with computers, especially desktops, and went "no. We're sorry." They even specifically responded to and denied some of the rumored going around. No touchscreens. No macOS on ARM with the TouchBar as a starting point.

It's a whole hearted "we've messed up and we need to do better", done in a way that shows commitment to change already. They know their products weren't working. They know their communication wasn't working. Being honest about that and addressing it makes me feel a lot better about the Mac as a platform than any model updates could alone.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What's all this about a rift between nVidia and Apple anyway? I missed that, whatever it is.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Ugh I can't wait until loving October for a new iMac. Hopefully that's wrong.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

trinary posted:

Not sure, had some trouble finding prices. Doesn't really seem worth it, ~$500 can get me a lot more elsewhere, probably time to bite the bullet and upgrade for real.

I'd ask at a fruit stand first. It's really lovely that there was a replacement program and they didn't replace it when you brought it in during the program's duration. They should have fixed it then.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I have $3500 CAD waiting for you, Apple. Please upgrade the iMac at WWDC or I'm jumping ship and I don't want to.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BobHoward posted:

IIRC their candid "we done hosed up the Mac Pro" session with journalists all but promised an iMac refresh with pro-ish options this year, but the time frame is in the fall. You may be out of luck if you must have it no later than WWDC.

Yeah, I'm hoping. My MBP isn't totally done for, but it is long in the tooth and I can feel the money burning a hole in my pocket.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah I was looking at buying an 850 EVO. Is there a reason to be concerned?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

well why not posted:

Way, way too spicy for that form factor. The next Mini or Pro, who knows?

The new i9 mini: largely the same shape and same components as a jug of water.

Also known as "AppleCare, why is my computer leaking?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

Everything old is new again (c.f. watercooled PowerMac G5).

I didn't know they'd tried it before :heh: