Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I wasn't sure whether to put it here or in the software (or in the Hackintosh?) thread... but I've been trying to get CentOS to install on a 2010 Mac Mini with very little success. I can get to the installer, but then the installer can't find the CD. Checking the various alt-F* error screens shows that I have a really weird error along the lines of "made it to setup without a CD error."

Is this pretty much a lost cause? I'd like to be able to single-boot CentOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I've been using a mac with two monitors for the last six months and one thing has been driving me insane -- sometimes when I move the cursor between the monitors it disappears and I have to right/left click a lot to get it to show up again. What's up with that?

Googling it, it seems to be a relatively common issue with Lion users?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I never use full-screen for that reason.

But I swear, I feel like I spend 30 minutes a day trying to find my drat cursor because it disappears when I transition between screens.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

manero posted:

The RAM is really easy, the SSD was a bit of an adventure but I could do a HDD swap in 15 minutes now that I know what I'm doing.

Have they really improved their parts layout that much? It's been almost a decade since I worked on powerbooks, but it used to take us close to an hour to get everything pulled apart/put back together for a hard drive.

(This is especially sad comparing them to Dells, which took all of a minute.)

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I've been thinking about grabbing 6th gen nano and one of those watch conversion kits -- has anyone done it before? Are there any kits to avoid or is the whole idea just retarded?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'm giving my laptop to my younger sister and replacing it with an iPad for mobile and a MacMini in my living room, connected to a projector. I'm waiting for the next update to the iPad to buy, but is there any real reason for a non-power-user, non-gamer to wait for the next mac mini to come out? I mean, I want to use the thing as a media center for podcasts, netflix and edx/mit classes and maybe like dick around with app games or something occasionally, I don't know. I mostly just surf the web and listen to medicine-related podcasts. There isn't an real radical updates to anything that will change everything, or problems with the current mac mini for what I want to use it for are there?

I use a Mac Mini for development and the only real problem I've ever had with anything is the RAM. Upgraded that to 8 GB and I've been fine.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Housh posted:

What's the best way to clip paper to the side of an iMac? I can't find anything like a paper holder for my 27" iMac so that I can hang paper next to it for transcribing or reference while I type. Any suggestions?

Magnet? The entire black bezel is filled with them.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I use a Topre Realforce with my Mac. It's a pain in the rear end sometimes (since it's not made for use with Mac OS) but my favorite keyboard.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Mercurius posted:

Yeah, the main advantage of the Unicomp keyboard is that it's designed for the Mac and all the buttons do what they have on them. It's also 'only' $95 which expensive for a keyboard but cheaper than a lot of the other mechanical keyboards.

It's doubly a pain in the rear end because I'm using a Topre Realforce with the extra necessary Japanese keys... which aren't always in the same place and don't have the same functions as the corresponding keys on a Mac keyboard. Sigh.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Airbook Pro

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Not sure myself, but have you seen this page?

http://guides.macrumors.com/Video_Card_Upgrades_for_Mac_Pro

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Ursine Asylum posted:

Seconding this question. iTerm2 1.0 is the only Terminal app I can use fullscreen on both monitors without that stupid "We'll turn your second screen into a linen backdrop" 10.8 does.

Ditto.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Sonic Dude posted:

Not sure if you meant "cash" literally, but just in case: most stores (including the Apple Store as of ~4 years ago when I last checked) refund large cash transactions as a mailed check. It takes about 3 weeks.

I thought they also did store credit?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
You guys make me feel retarded with my gaming laptop that has a ~18" screen and weighs over 11 pounds.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Bob Morales posted:

You have to chalk up your 2-3 hours of netflix/Hulu to the inefficiencies of both sites. Engadget got 6.5 hours out of the 2012 Air with the wifi on, looping a video.

Real-world numbers trump testing numbers.

I want a battery with eight hours of real-world use. Web browsing, watching movies, streaming videos, etc. i.e., no change from normal use at all.

If I have to go to special settings or whatever or limit myself to certain things, that's artificially inflating the battery life in my opinion.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Mu Zeta posted:

I feel I'm smart and I have never, EVER, plugged in a USB plug the correct way on the first attempt. loving Christ.

If you mean normal USB plugs, they have reversible ones. I use them with pretty much everything I can. No second-guessing myself!

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Internaut! posted:

We use workstations at work (trading floor), Dell builds them, we customize them, then deploy them and never touch them again unless a part fails and we replace it with an identical one.

For us, flexibility, expandability and upgradeability are the last things we want - we need stability first and power second as an hour's downtime would pay for the machine on most days.

We'll never switch to Macs but the new Pro exceeds the specs of our machines from a CPU/OpenCL standpoint and the multimonitor control features and resolution support beat our Matrox solution by a mile.

Depending on how TB hardware works out, it could actually end up being perfect for that. Need to swap out a RAID array? New graphics card? etc., just swap TB hardware.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Bob Morales posted:

Right, USB 3 kills TB for almost all users and will never go mainstream, probably not even for monitors (for consumers at least).

Thunderbolt is faster and it's always obvious which way the plug goes in. The second wins it for me.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

BobHoward posted:

(If OWC is to be believed, current Mac Pros are compatible with a 128GB config, but an OS X limitation prevents you from using more than 96GB anyways.)

Unless that's changed in Mavericks... in which case it all makes sense.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Creepy Goat posted:

What's the best option for wireless NAS across the systems I'll be using? Should I go with AirPort or would I be better off using something from say, Synology or Lacie? I need a lot of storage space.

I have 12 TB usable in my NAS in zRAID-2. Are you thinking about more space than that? If so, you may want to build a NAS yourself. It's not that hard. Here's the NAS thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557

The other thing in this comment is that if you want a ton of space, that implies (to me) some big files... which you may not want to do over wireless, depending on how large they are. Wireless doesn't come close to touching wired gigabit speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Creepy Goat posted:

That's around what I was aiming for but I'd need to be able to expand it easily in the future as I'll need to archive a lot of big files over time. If I built a NAS myself then that would make it much easier to expand in the future at less of a cost I assume? That's probably the better route to go then.

Yeah. You can just make a mid-tower or full-tower case with 8 bays or so for the cost of one of those three-bay units.

Creepy Goat posted:

I would prefer to have my render-slave and Mini wired because like you said, moving several multi-gig files over wireless from one program to another isn't going to be quick enough. Those are the only things that would need to be wired though, everything else being transferred around would only be images, docs, and compressed video and it would be important for speed-of-use that they be connected wirelessly.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. If you have a router, you can just plug everything you want wired into the router and access them via the router's wireless.