Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm a windows user who is being strongly tempted by these new M1 Macs.

Is there any sort of video that you would recommend to give a windows user a overview of how they could expect the user experience to be on a MacBook? With covid I obviously can't, or rather shouldn't, be going to stores to test this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I don't really play games anymore thanks to tendonitis in my hands so that won't be much of an issue. I've looked through the apps that I tend to use on my current Windows laptop and they are pretty much all available on Mac. And probably 90% of my time is spent in chrome as well.

The only bummer that I see from having a Mac would be the lack of a touch screen, my aforementioned tendonitis means that I tend to need to switch up my input style to spread out the strain of using a computer. But then again these do have enormous touch pads that could serve to work more like a touch screen than a typical Windows computer.

How is the voice to text? I use that extremely heavily on my Android phone and I started to use it on my Windows computers as well

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

the built-in OS stuff is probably best in its class, it's quite good in iOS and I imagine it will only get more like that now that they've added the hardware to do it. If it doesn't work for you, MacOS has all the industry-standard stuff like Dragon, etc available to it. One of the goons ITT with a D&D Corn Avatar is a writer who apparently does a lot of dictation into a Mac so maybe they can give you more insight.

No touchscreen but I imagine Apple would be like "just switch to a phone or tablet". At least any trackballs and third party mice, etc will work just fine. You can connect as many as you want. You might want to grab a Magic Trackpad (ignore the Mouse, it's poison) if you plan to have the computer up on a thing or away from your hand.

I went ahead and purchased the M1 Mac air. So far I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The immersive mode is causing me a bit of anxiety, I'm used to running applications in full screen mode in Windows. But I'm not sure if this will cause me to miss notifications for work or something like that. Set up process was nice and straightforward, and despite never using Mac OS laptop or desktop before I've been able to set up pretty much everything I need to use on a daily basis on my laptop.

This whole post was created using dictation and I only had to change a couple of things here and there. In fact I would say this dictation was better than what I typically get out of an android phone and definitely better than I get with Windows which was quite surprising. Especially with how much people have complained about the poor camera and microphone on this device.

I do keep reaching for the screen to select things so that will definitely take some getting used to.

The computer is slamming fast though and I'm really liking that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Khablam posted:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchl9c21d2be/mac
Option+click is probably what you want as an ex-windows user.

This works great.

mediaphage posted:

if they support system notifications, you should still get pop-overs in the upper-right corner. additionally, you should be able to check those sorts of notifications at any time by doing a two-finger swipe in from the right of your trackpad (or mouse down to your disappearing dock and check for the icon badge)

Just saw this happen with my mail while I was in immersive mode for Chrome. I see I can click on the notification, it pops up a small window for that piece of mail which I can resolve, and then it closes back and lets me continue browsing. A really nice way to handle it if I do say so. Very quick and efficient.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Is there a way to, by clicking on an icon on the taskbar at the bottom, minimize that window? I'm trying to replicate the windows experience here where you can maximize and minimize a window down there. I think that's a superior user experience rather than having to mouse up to the top of the screen minimize it and then mouse all the way back to the bottom to bring a different window to the forefront. In windows, you can do all of your window focus management at the bottom of the screen rather than having to mouse all over it.

Looking through the settings I don't really see a way to do that, though I have set it up now so that when a window is minimized it goes into the application icon rather than a separate set of icons near the trashcan that indicate the open windows.

Aside from that, I haven't really had any real gripes about the experience so far. I was initially trying to use a couple of windows in immersive mode and swiping between them, but I end up having to swipe a few times to get between the ones I want to which seems less than ideal. Being able to just directly select the one that I want is a quicker and more efficient way. The immersive mode ends up being more of a tablet experience rather than a desktop experience. Without a touch-centric operating system you why I don't really enjoy using it that way. Though I could see the value in that if you're trying to do video or photo editing and want to have the whole screen.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

For some reason, there seems to be like a half dozen blank windows of chrome when I go into Expose. They clutter up the arrangement of the windows and make it more difficult to select the one I want because they are all smaller than they need to be. I see there's an option to group by the application in Expose so I'm going to try that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

MacOS really loves its complicated keyboard shortcuts. Taking a screenshot of a window is a four key ordeal.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

3 but it’s not terribly different from the Windows command tbh.

Shift + Command + 4 + Spacebar

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Just spent the last few hours looking at reviews of the new M1 MBP and I'm sold. Those battery life numbers are flat out insane.

I like my 15 well enough but its a bit too large for lugging around IMO.

I unplugged my M1 Air about 12 hours ago and have used it probably about four hours. It reports about 78% of the battery left.

Usage was primarily web browsing, browsing through discord chats, and doing work emails in the built-in email client.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 23, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Edit: after I've given it some time activity monitor estimates about 10 hours of battery left.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 23, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Not that it matters much but what screen brightness is that?

All day and then some... Jesus

I set it to automatic screen brightness.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

The biggest thing I notice about using a Windows (Lenovo) laptop vs a MacBook is the...how do you say...inertial while scrolling?

The Mac does some black magic where it feels like I'm sliding the page up/down like a natural object. But Windows sends the loving page into warp speed, or too slow to be useful.

On the other hand, middle-button scrolling feels great.

It depends on whether you have a Microsoft precision touchpad or not. If you do then you probably have an excellent experience on par with the Apple touchpad. I believe HP, Dell, and of course Microsoft all use it for their touchpads now. Some other makers use crappy ones.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Shroud posted:

I have a 2015 15" MBPro with a battery capacity of 71%. I would like to get the battery replaced, but I got quoted 5-7 business days from a nearby AASP (SimplyMac), and can't even get the nearest Apple Store on the phone. I need my laptop for work during the week, so that's a non-starter. Are there any other options available? I've read that it's not meant to be user-replaceable, and I'd rather not mess with the resale value by screwing something up.

https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in

You can see what apple will pay for it here.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

hatty posted:

RAM doesn’t seem to be much of an issue based on reviews for the Air, I’d assume the same would be said for the base Mini

I have not had any issues with memory pressure on my 8 GB MacBook Air. Though I am not doing any video or photo editing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Man, I wasn't initially sold on the whole haptic feedback trackpad system. I felt kind of gimmicky. Why do that when you could just have a physical click right? But the ability to click literally anywhere and even change how hard do you have to press to get it to click is extremely nice.

It's also shocking how much it feels like a real click. I still honestly amazed at how good it feels several days later.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’m sure you know but you’d be so much better off just buying one with a smaller internal SSD and then getting a big thunderbolt hard drive. Probably works out cheaper. Like if you’re getting an iMac, presumably portability isn’t that much of a concern

I mean, realistically if you need a ton of internal space like that then you should be setting up a NAS so that your data is significantly more secure.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

SourKraut posted:

FWIW, the charger that came with my M1 13" MBP was the 61w charger, while the M1 MBA ships with a 31W charger I believe? I doubt there's a 30W difference between the two at the moment, so at a minimum I would possibly expect a slight reduction in the charger size with the next generation, but who knows?

I have the M1 MBA and another 60w PD power supply that I use for other things. Plugging it in to the MBA still only negotiates a ~30w charge

So it's not the charger that's charging limited on the MBA

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I assume they are using a cheaper charge controller on the MacBook air which isn't rated for what the MacBook pro can handle.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Had a nice kernal panic on my M1 out of nowhere yesterday.

Hopefully that doesn't repeat.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

One of the things that's really underrated about these M1 macs is how they can work like an iPhone or Android phone to retrieve notifications while generally staying in a deep sleep 99% of the time. I'm able to open up the laptop that's been sitting by itself, unplugged and my mail is fully up to date with all the stuff I've gotten in the last couple of hours since I set it down and closed it. And the battery won't have noticeably drained.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Huh, really?

Windows definitely doesn't do it so it's a new thing for me on a laptop.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

SgtScruffy posted:

Ah Crap - drat, I looked up a non-mid-2012 macbook and it was just "take out battery > put in new battery" so I assumed it was going to be the same.
Thanks everyone, you saved me some money (at least on buying a battery that I would never actually replace) and probably a broken laptop. I'll go the official route!

I'm not entirely sure if such an old MacBook would support it but I would recommend getting Al dente 1.2. It basically lets you set a max charge level for your computer. I would recommend 80% if you're going to stay plugged in most of the time anyway. That will dramatically improve the longevity of your battery.
https://github.com/davidwernhart/AlDente/releases

I know the current version of macOS has an intelligent battery manager it's supposed to keep it below 80% except for right before when you get up and unplug it. But for me, it hasn't really done anything like that at all so far. I do turn on videos overnight that I fell asleep to, however. So it probably thinks that I'm actually using the computer all throughout the evening so I can't blame it.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 30, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I've got something weird going on. When I make a second desktop (same monitor, just a second desktop I swipe to) in Big Sur I get these weird colors for the UI elements. It's a pinkish hue. Any idea why this is? It's pretty annoying.

Here's the primary desktop, everything cool there.

And the same window just moved to the second desktop

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

space marine todd posted:

I have read benchmarks that show this, but it is still absolutely loving me up weeks later. And the battery life is amazing?

This poo poo really is magical.

Yes.

I am getting about 10-12 hours of screen on time with mixed-use for work/leisure. My work is mostly responding to emails, attending meetings (either on the phone or video calls). Leisure consists of reading this dead comedy forum, watching videos, and otherwise browsing the internet.

So you can very much expect a realistic 10+ hours of actual battery life out of the computer for your usecase

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Honestly, it's the combination of the Chip and The extremely effective translation through Rosetta 2 that makes this such a leap forward. either one without the other would have been a very rough transition but with both of them together even old unupdated software runs at least as fast as a current gen Intel chip.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

People who've stress-tested it have reported it only throttling after 8-10 minutes at max load and even then, only throttling by about 15%.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Hi, I'm very happy with my M1 MBA and won't be disappointed if another better version comes out in Apple's next refresh because I'm getting exactly what I want out of this device NOW.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

I usually advise avoiding first gen not because of price/performance but because something is irreperably hosed on the initial releases in the past. But Apple seems to have avoided that this time. Like when they first switched to Intel those things ran mega hot. A goon opened his MBP up and found a poo poo ton of thermal paste splattered everywhere like a bang bros production. And of course the butterfly keyboard were poo poo in that first 12" and the first Air had the horrible hinge that hides the usb ports.

This is why you just wait for reviews on the product. Never pre-order in general. It doesn't matter if its 1st gen or 5th gen. Always research the reviews on the product.

The reviews on the M1 macs have been pretty much universally extremely positive, and unless you need a very specific piece of software that doesn't work under Rosetta you should at least be considering it as an option if you are looking for a new computer.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Anyone having issues with gestures for forward or back stopping working in Chrome in their M1 or Big Sur computers? It works for a while but then individual tabs stop responding to the gesture. I have to copy and paste the URL into a new tab to get it to start working again.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I expect most of the improvements in gen 2 will be from Apple being willing to expand the TDP parameters of the chip and increase the number of cores.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I have an ultra-wide monitor that easily works like two monitors and one.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

BobHoward posted:

No please don't do this

The bolded is telephone-game stuff being spread on the internet by people who think that M1 has magic which makes it need less RAM. The reality is that it probably needs slightly more. arm64 code is less dense than x86_64 - the same program compiled for ARM needs a bit more memory for code. Rosetta translation should use substantially more memory for code than either arm64 native software or x86_64 code on an Intel Mac. Data takes the same space, for the most part. There are some narrow opportunities for certain kinds of programs to save memory, mostly software which renders 3D graphics through Metal, but getting there will require optimizing them for M1. It's not automatic.

I think a lot of why this idea has spread so easily is that there's lots of people who habitually overbuy memory. Those people are now buying M1 Macs with less RAM because that's all they can get, and when their workload runs great, they attribute it to the M1 having some kind of magic which makes it need less memory.

Contributing factors:

- anybody who doesn't have a CS degree who watches RAM use in Activity Monitor tends to form a belief that they need as much RAM as they have in their computer, because macOS will fill free memory up with disk cache and other temporary buffers. This is just macOS trying to make RAM useful even when there's more of it than required, but it primes people to believe that when a M1 Mac works great with less RAM, it must be because the M1 magically reduced memory requirements.

- some of the loads out there which are perceived to need tons of RAM just don't. You've mentioned video editing as one, and it's a great example. Video editors are always designed to stream data from disk since there's no practical way to keep all the source clips for a bigger-than-trivial project in RAM, no matter how much RAM you have. Memory use does scale up with resolution and other factors, but generally speaking it isn't as much of a memory hog as popularly assumed. Especially when the editor has been designed around low-RAM computers - Apple's own FCP got some care to make sure it could run well on a 6GB iPad Pro.

The ram being physically on the die DOES reduce the need somewhat. Being physically close to the places that need the stored data means that it takes less time to retrieve data onboard there, less powerful hardware is needed to successfully transmit the data to the ram for storage due to electrical losses from transmission distance. Less transmission time means slightly less of a ram buffer is needed to store pending calculation data.

Also, if designed for it, the fact that the GPU and CPU can call on the same pool of ram for the relevant data rather than having separate copies stored locally does mean that the overall system cpu + gpu ram needed would be lessened.

That said, I'm not at all confident that this reduction altogether reduces the need in a meaningful way to the end-user. I'm sure there is a real reduction but it's probably not much.

MacOS just, in general, being more aggressive in throwing older applications and data into the swap than windows is probably does a lot more than any physical proximity of the ram does to reducing the utilization.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

Throttling aside, the performance of the M1 MBA and Pro are identical (assuming the same core configuration), correct? Like they have the exact same SoC?

Assuming you get the version that has eight cores for the GPU then yes.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

BobHoward posted:

I mean I didn't write any of that to make that dude feel bad. I don't think any of that was original to him, literally all of it's retelling of ideas I've seen circulating in other forums and youtube vids and whatever. If it isn't your field of expertise it's pretty easy to believe.

Not man I don't feel bad about it. it seems like you know the stuff better than me and I was just relating what I have read from other people that I considered authorities. I don't have any personal expertise in the matter.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I wonder at what point here we start getting to a dimension where electrons are just quantum tunneling between different parts of the die because the sizes are so small.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

TACD posted:

Yeah I have no regrets about not waiting for these lol

You can get both sizes formats for Sony’s noise canceling headphones for less than this one pair from Apple. And they are both widely reviewed as the best noise canceling headphones in the market.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/wh-1000xm4

https://www.sony.com/electronics/truly-wireless/wf-1000xm3

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

And Microsoft edge is the new, better version of chrome.

It's just chromium with stuff in there for Microsoft to track you instead of Google.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Your battery is probably going to be shot in 3 years anyway.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 13, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Last Chance posted:

It’s embeds that gently caress up the scroll position isn’t it? :(

Yeah, it works fine on a page with no links to twitter or images. It's just that it defaults to that location and then loads all that stuff after and you get pushed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I gotta say, sidecar is pretty rad. I use it a handful of times a week when I need a quick second monitor to do some excel stuff and it's just so handy to just prop up my iPad, cast a second screen to it for a few minutes and then put it away.