Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

Got my refurbished 2010 MBP from Apple today. It looks brand new without a single scratch on it, plus coconutbattery says it has a brand new battery with 2 charge cycles. Refurbs are awesome.

Apple's refurb policy says they replace the cosmetic parts. I've seen about five refurb Macs right out of the box and they've all been perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I like fixing things myself but if it's under warranty just let them give you a new one.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Call Apple's customer service line on the phone and explain the situation.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I know there's a site that does benchmarks but I can't seem to scare it up. I read the OP but I'm probably going blind in my old age.

Here's my dilemma. I currently have a 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo pre-unibody MacBook Pro. I'd like to upgrade it but can't decide between:

• 13" MacBook Air with the 256gb SSD (1.7ghz dual core i5, 4gb ram), $1,549
  • Refurb 15" low-res glossy MacBook Pro (2.0ghz quad core i7, 4gb ram, 500gb 5400rpm HDD) $1,529
  • New 15" high-res glossy MacBook Pro (2.0ghz quad core i7, 4gb ram, 500gb 5400rpm HDD) $1,789
  • Waiting for the rumored 15" "Air" because my current computer is decent-ish

I mostly just browse the internet and wouldn't mind the Air because it's the same res as my current 15" despite being smaller. I don't play games much, but would the MacBook Pros handle Battlefield 3? If so that might sway me.

I guess in closing, how many times faster is that 13" Air than my current 2.2ghz C2D? So hard to decide. :(

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

The 2.0 MBPs have the inferior graphics card, right? Running BF3 on that might be tough.

I'll live without BF3, I have an Xbox. I'll probably buy an Air tomorrow on the way home from work.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Portability's not a huge deal in that I drive to work and have an iPad to travel light.

However I'm not really a power user. I'm an engineer in the semiconductor industry by trade so my work keeps me swimming in bleeding edge computer hardware and in terms of keeping laptops I generally keep them a while but only because I'm not much of a "power user" on my home PC.

There's nothing wrong with my current 2.2 C2D, I just think it still has value to sell so I might as well upgrade because the money isn't a big deal for me right now.

In terms of "desktop replacement" it'd be my only computer but I bought my wife a 13" MacBook Pro (she really wanted an optical drive) last week. I think my main dilemma is screen size. New high res 15 MBP is more pixels than my current MBP.

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 10, 2011

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

What kind of cable connects the pro to the display?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

SourKraut posted:

For Chemmy (and anyone else who's been considering it): 2011 15" MBPs with the upgraded screen appeared today in the Apple Store's Refurb list at a cost of $1,649.00. I'd have directly linked it but not sure if that's allowed.

They're all antiglare and I'd really prefer the glossy. Thanks though.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Went to the Apple store, decided to plop down the extra bucks for the i7 13" Air. This thing is stupid fast.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

OWC makes a color-matched weight you can stick on the bottom.

:psyduck:

"Is your MacBook Air too light? Add this weight!"

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Speaking of F12 volume why did Apple shuffle around the location of function keys? My PowerBook G4 (Rev. A aluminum, 2003) and MacBook Pro (2.2ghz C2D, 2007) both had the same function keys. My new MBA has fuckin' keys all over the place. Bleh.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Awesome, thanks. Just set my MacBook Air's HD to that icon.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You can also Get Info ( + i) on the icon. You'll see the icon in the window. Click it and it'll outline in blue. Hit Ctrl + C to copy. Get info on your current HDD, click its icon and Ctrl + V to paste the icon in.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

flavor posted:

Can anyone tell me a good way to pre-order upcoming hardware from Apple without having my bank balance flip flop?

Get a credit card. Apple gives you 0% interest for a while too.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

dissss posted:

How do you define 'newer'? The non-removable models?

Because one Google search for 'swollen macbook battery' will show you exactly what will happen if you leave a pre-unibody model plugged in for too long.

I kept my pre-unibody MacBook Pro plugged in all day every day for five years and it didn't have battery problems (aside from not holding a charge).

The swollen battery issue was defective batteries, not how people used them.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Wrong thread, apologies.

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 11, 2012

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sri.Theo posted:

So is the possibility of new macs this year officially over? Including those EarPods?

I have good news for you: AirPod Pros were just announced.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

anothergod posted:

The reason to get an M2 Macbook Air over the original is you're rich and vain.

Also, anyone w/ the M2 Macbook Air thinking about doing the thermal pad mods?

I've been using mine since launch day and haven't noticed it getting hot. I haven't been watching resource manager or anything, just using it like a computer. Works good.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

god this blows posted:

I’m glad to hear that the AirPods are a good choice for things like Zoom and other meetings. My pc headset was a single ear one and I liked it as I could still hear my dogs get into things. I’ll take a look at the different options.

Pretty much my whole office wears AirPods Pro for conference calls.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

There’s no way the M2 version is going to be worth spending an extra $500 and waiting a long time.

Cheap 14” M1s are a great deal.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That seems to be if you want to access data. Is there a less stringent process for “guy died, I’d like to wipe the computer and use it without seeing his private data”?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Does this power strip have the plugs facing a stupid way? Can you get a $10 power strip with the plugs rotated 90 degrees?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

MuadDib Atreides posted:

not sure this is the thread for it but my crapple AirPods pro 2 are charging unevenly, one runs out faster than the other. fixes? I have crapple care but can't live without these beauties for a day much less the 5 days or whatever

Take a qtip and clean out the bottom of your AirPods case where they charge.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I have my 2013 rMBP right in front of me and it still works really well.

I retired my 2013 MBP for an M2 air when they came out.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

jabro posted:

See if she’ll use the m1 for a day or two. Yeah the 2013 still works but come on. There is no way after using an almost decade newer machine she’ll be nah I’m good.

My old MBP works fine for browsing the internet, paying bills, watching stupid videos, etc. I replaced it because I wanted something more portable with better battery life.

I don't use these for work, my job hands me hardware, so for personal stuff I can't imagine this thing won't last me 10 years.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm glad they took care of you, it's nice of them. My local car dealer labor rate is like $300 an hour, so $99 doesn't strike me as outrageous. There are certainly people who would be happy to save those 15 minutes and have a pro take care of it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

Ti macs would be sweet but they already expensive enough.

If apple is going for this whole carbon neutral angle they need to make their poo poo repairable too.

Those Titanium G4 PowerBooks were sweet.

I’m going natural Ti phone tomorrow as a throwback.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Warbird posted:

That’s part of the reason of why they moved to braided cords iirc. The vinyl or whatever they used for the older stuff would just “dry up” over time and that’s all she wrote.

It was Apple going green and getting rid of PFAs etc. Those chemicals keep soft plastics pliable.

Not saying going green is bad, just explaining why all their cables were poo poo for a while. The new braided ones are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It’s a really good deal. So what if it has slight blooming there?

Personally I’d save the $600 towards my next Mac in five years or whatever.