Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

My 2009 MBP 13" got had a glass of water dumped on it, which sucked. But gave me the opportunity to get a new Mac, which didn't suck. I settled on the rMBP 15" as I felt kind of cramped on the 13" fairly often and some of the stuff I do benefits from a dedicated video card (Blender OGL previews, games on the road, PS CC 3D), and I love the retina display. Anyway, one of the things I'm curious about is when the discrete nvidia card is being used versus the integrated chipset. It's not critical, I know that during obvious tasks - games for instance - which video chipset is driving but I'm wondering if there's an easy way, like a menu bar toggle or something to see which is doing what when if that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

japtor posted:

If you could've waited for the new model you probably wouldn't have to worry about a discrete GPU at all :haw:

...I'm used to my Macs themselves having some noise during high speed network transfers (over ethernet at least), wonder if it's the same sound you're hearing.

Yeah this was in June though so that would have been 3-5 months without a machine and the 15" Haswell specs haven't been confirmed have they?

Anyway thanks all that looks like what I need.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

theperminator posted:

GfxcardStatus is what you're looking for.

Very handy, I didn't realise that RDP or VMware would be using the discrete graphics even when disconnected/not running a vm.

Unfortunately that download seems to be down, I've tried a couple times on different networks and it doesn't seem to work. Google isn't showing any mirrors for the recent version. I'll keep looking.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

FCKGW posted:

I like Airmail, you should try Airmail.

Mail Pilot is also kind of cool.

e: the OS X version at least, i haven't tried the iOS one.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 6, 2013

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

kuskus posted:

For sure, and thanks! My rMBP has a 650m. If it functions without glitching I definitely have some other CUDA uses.

I use CUDA in Photoshop and Premiere on the same machine with Yosemite and the 650m with no issues at all. I haven't done any benchmarking but the folks in our video production team advised that any nvidia card will perform much better with CUDA vs. OpenCL at the moment. I did have some issues initially iirc but not video corruption and they were solved when nvidia updated the os x drivers. I don't do super demanding video work though so...

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 7, 2015

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Second hand late 2013 15" is what I use for all my edits. FCPX and premiere work great. Renders take a bit longer than the 5k iMac I get to use sometimes but it's still perfectly usable especially when you're using a thunderbolt drive for your media

Yeah this is my experience too, also doing some motion work in After Effects and Fusion and they work fine, where fine is within reason for a laptop and nothing crazy being done workwise. Personally I'm hoping for a Mac Pro refresh that has nVidia 10x0 GPUs so I can build a hackintosh with those.

E; that's not going to happen.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 21, 2016

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Bill Barber posted:

They also tweeted this out of the blue a few days ago, which isn't based on any sort of new information at all.

https://twitter.com/macrumors/status/780826679736356864

Of those changes the only thing that would make me consider trading my 15" late 2013 is the USB C/TB3. The rest? Meh. I know that's not comprehensive and if there's a new Mbp with a 2+ GB competitive GPU I'll be a near day one buyer but I don't know if they'll go that way.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Is $1500 a decent price for:

15 inch 2015 MacBook Pro
Intel core i7 16gb ram
512gb ssd hdd MAC OSX El capitan

Ad says the original price was 2500.

I have no idea what mbp pricing is like but I thin it's very possible that a major rev of the mbp line is being announced this month, so personally I wouldn't be buying new or used right now. I'm hoping to see something worth replacing my 15" with and I bet a lot of others are too and if that happens the price point on the used market will dip.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

No, I know that the refresh is likely happening this month, but in the bay area, the price doesn't seem like it will dip too much as even 2011 macbooks are selling at a decent price.

I'm not going to be buy a new one, so I plan on buying a 2015.

Yeah I mean it's hard to know, but if the refresh is significant I'd expect to see a lot of late 2013 - 2015 machines on the market, although looking at it that does seem to be a good price for a 2015.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Yeah that was underwhelming. Looks like my late 2013 15" rMBP will keep on keeping on. Worse, I was more excited by the Surface Studio presentation, it was loving cool. Still wouldn't probably buy one at least not at $4500+ Canuck pesos but at least it was a "wow" moment. I do need a new machine soon with 2+ gb gpu but bleh.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

If we're talking about 13" and 15" rMBPs, there's poo poo for difference -except- in SSD speed, GPUs, and video output.

2014s have older Intel Iris iGPUs and nVidia GTX 750 dGPUs (15-inch only), can drive 4K displays at 24/30 Hz over HDMI, 4K displays at 60 Hz over Thunderbolt (only 15-inch with nVidia GT 750)

2015s have faster SSDs than 2014s, newer Iris iGPUs and an AMD R9 M370X dGPU (15-inch only), can drive 4K displays at 30, 60Hz, 5K displays at 60 Hz (only 15-inch with AMD R9 M370X option)

Which one matters to you is a preference of taste, although you'll get CUDA acceleration with the older nVidia dGPU. If you neither know nor care about CUDA, it's a non issue.

This may have been posted if so oops, but anyway the new nvidia CUDA drivers disable support for the cards in 2013/14 rMBPs. So if you want CUDA support this isn't a route to it. It's not a Mac thing it's not supported on windows either afaik. Adobes suite now supports Metal but it's pretty limited. You can still use Open CL acceleration on the 650M and 750M.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Just want to say I’m super happy that hardware has been so slow to improve - I have a late 2013 rMBP 15” with 8GB and drat this thing is still kicking rear end. Sorry. Just spent all day on this machine and it’s so nice, trackpad is awesome, such a great laptop. 5 years old.

I would/will buy a modular Mac tower if they ever release one!

E: dunno why I posted this other than I haven’t used this laptop much for a year or so while I was working on other things and forgot how nice it is

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

nitsuga posted:

Would it really be worth the $200-300 premium for a 2015 Retina over a 2013 or 2014? Being able to replace the SSD more easily is appealing for sure, but it's a bit hard for me to justify the jump on that alone.

I have a 2013 15” that I love to bits but it’s getting a bit long in the tooth, I wouldn’t buy one now. The dGPU is getting wonky and the battery is starting to show cycles, and it’s been babied. I imagine any 2013 will be similar. I’m hating the thought of replacing it because it’s God’s perfect laptop but...

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Splinter posted:

$200 for a battery/top case (keyboard/trackpad).

I'm still chugging away on a 2.6 GHz / 16 GB / 1 TB Late 2013 15". Only 200 cycles on the battery, but I'll probably get the service done right before they vintage it just to get the most mileage possible out of it.

Yeah I’ll probably do the same, mines exactly the same config. It’s a fantastic machine and I don’t want to replace it.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

eames posted:

Intel announced some major iGPU improvements for the next Gens (performance, adaptive sync, etc) but you are still right, the iGPU would have a hard time even with some semi-custom CPU like they did back with Crystalwell. The small Vega chip shrunk to 7nm would be fine though.
Come
To think about it, I know first hand that the new Mac mini has pretty abysmal GPU performance but supports 5K screens via iGPU, I wonder how that works out?

e: found links:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...z.336622.0.html
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13699/intel-architecture-day-2018-core-future-hybrid-x86/3

Honestly all I want is a Mac with a decent gpu. When my 2013 15rmbp dies if that doesn’t exist I’ll probably just build a dual boot hackintosh. My iPad does most of my mobile poo poo anyway.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Word brother. I'm rocking that same machine and its great. I kinda wish it had 16gb of ram but eh it works fine with 8 for what I use it for.

Its a fantastic machine.

Same machine with 16gb. I am dreading the day it dies, best laptop of all time.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Mark Larson posted:

Except you can't do any actual work on it.

https://arslan.io/2019/01/07/using-the-ipad-pro-as-my-development-machine/

First step: create a VM on the cloud to actually do the work in. :laugh:

[flamesuit on]

This is dumb and you’re dumb for posting it.

E; actually the original article is pretty good. You’re still dumb tho. Lots of people can do work on an iPad.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 17, 2019

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

The first G4 Powerbook was the best. It was made of titanium instead of aluminum.

I wish I’d kept my tiBook it was an awesome machine.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

That support's extended to iOS and iPadOS too.

Wait what? At the OS level? Cause drat my iPad Pro could become a cool PlayStation remote device if so...screen controls suck.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm just lolling at all the comments from people who bitched for years about needing a 'pro' machine, then were upset that apple made a pro machine that starts at $6k and needs probably $10k into it to really shine

Yeah it’s not a hobbyist, prosumer tower. For the market it’s in (VFX, editing, pro audio, data viz, simulations) it’s expensive but not crazy and most large orgs don’t give a poo poo about hardware costs as it’s a capex that depreciates. So, yeah it’s a pro workstation.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

BobHoward posted:

The new Mac Pro is a true pro workstation, but they forgot about everyone who just wanted a reasonably expandable Mac with a reasonably beefy CPU and reasonable internal RAM and storage expansion for a reasonable base price.

That’s not a market Apple cares about. I’ve owned a Mac since I bought my SE30 and that’s never - not even during the bad old licensing days - been their thing. They don’t really want users plugging poo poo in and potentially loving things up. They never have. It’s certainly worse now that we’ve lost basic upgrade capabilities for sure, but they didn’t ‘forget’ anyone, it’s intentional.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

grahm posted:

I agree with this but I don't buy the they're-already-bad-so-who-cares-if-now-they're-more-bad logic. That's how the real bad poo poo happens. I guess you're right though, as customers we should be putting pressure on even the basic reality of sweatshop labor. I'll admit willful naivety on my part for hoping Apple had some kind of ethical point of view, but I think the company is especially hypocritical and it makes me want to shop elsewhere. And I own literally only apple products 🤷‍♂️

The third most valuable company on the planet doesn’t have ethics. It has interests. You’re not going to find any ethical alternative.

Welcome to capitalism etc. etc.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Luceo posted:

`Sup new 16" MBP buddy? :cheers:

I'm enjoying mine, too, despite the things I hate about it. I also went with the 8-core/1TB, bumped it to 32GB and the 8GB video card. It's a... big jump from my mid-2012 non-Retina. :stare:

Am about to pull the trigger on a similar setup - 32GB i9 and the 8GB video. My 2013 rMBP has been the best machine ever made but is now starting to show its age.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

So my BTO 16” just arrived, setup was painless given I didn’t want to do a migration. Man that 2013 15” MBP was an amazing machine, holds a special place in my heart. Anyway, the question I have is there anything cool the touchbar can do or I should know? I know it’s nothing awesome but this is my first touchbar equipped machine wondering if there’s any tips tricks to make it do something useful.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

Get bettertouchtool and a plugin pack like Aquatouch. Between the customizability and basic pack it extends a lot of apps.

Oh cool, thank you I didn’t realize BTT did that, it’s on my install list and I used it for window gestures.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Would anyone have any interest in a 2013 15" 8GB/512GB?

Thinking of putting in sa-mart but I also want to hang onto it for some reason. (I have a 13" and 16" so don't need three)

I took a look locally to sell my early 2013 15” and the range was like 375 - 650 in 8gb / 512. Given the hassle I just went to Apples site and did the trade in thing online (Canada US might be a different process) filled in a questionnaire and they sent me a box with shipping label. Couple days later after I’d shipped it they sent me a $400 Apple Card. Just an FYI in case you don’t want to deal with private sale the trade in is pretty painless.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

So I'm loving my new 16" overall but there's a weird thing with the display that is getting under my skin. It seems that there's a weird, I dunno, halo? around elements sometimes. This happens with UI elements, the mouse pointer or pretty much anything. For example the two images below are a Word doc. The underlined text shows a weird blue halo that appears and dissapears when scrolling. It's very subtle and doesn't show up in screen captures for obvious reasons, hence the crappy phone photos.

Anybody else seeing this on the 16"'s? I can mostly ignore it but since the machines only 2 weeks old I'm wondering if this is a common problem or if I need to head to the fruit stand.

This has no halo:

A slight scroll down the page creates a halo on the underline (like a 1 or 2 pixel scroll):

It only happens on the built in display which makes sense.

e; oh and this happens regardless of scaling setting, default or max / min.

e2; playing around it seems related to truetone. If I turn true tone off the haloing effect dissapears. Weird.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 23, 2020

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

True Tone is bad you should shut it off

Yeah I didn't realize it was on, my 2013 didn't have it. It's fixed the 'issue' which apparently is 'True Tone is bad. Turn it off.'

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Fallom posted:

Well yeah, no poo poo if you assign 128gb to a Windows VM or whatever it goes away. "Are you going to do VMs or not?" is a question that leads down two completely separate paths for use cases and general experience with different RAM configurations.

Yeah the VM discussion is valid but a separate use case. Like how much ram do I need for x is not the same as how much ram do I need to run 3 other operating systems and applications. For non VM/dev work 16 is good, 32 is future proof past your processor, 64 is ‘I hope u know why you need this’.

More ram = good but mm on macOS is pretty good to.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Daniel Bryan posted:

Bought a 2019 13" Air a week ago. My first Mac laptop, replacing a Pixelbook that just died (Don't buy those). I went with the 128GB model, which seems to maybe have been a mistake. Do you all think it's worth the hassle of returning to get the 256GB model? I bought it on sale for $899, so I think I got a decent deal and it's not that price anymore.

I'm also super jealous because my wife just picked up a 16" i9 a few weeks ago.

The correct option is steal your wife’s laptop, perhaps running off to Costa Rica to live in a van if necessary. If that’s too unappealing I’d return for at least 256, 128 with the OS is going to be really rough imo.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

guitartorch posted:

I just bought astropad without looking into it much and I guess it can only mirror the display and not be a second screen? thats a refund

Yeah it’s for using the pencil with a Mac, not acting as a second display. Duet does that but it sucks. The company behind astropad had a product I think called Luna that does what you want https://lunadisplay.com .

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

The iBook's (spiritual) predecessor always had some charm.

However, the most fragile coolest Apple laptop will always be:

Yeah I loved my tibook. I wish I'd kept it just as a keepsake, it was cool. And fragile.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Resolve.

Is this a weird game we’re playing?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

abelwingnut posted:

so looking to get a laptop. either the air or pro, not really sure which, hence why i'm here. looking to run windows about 80% of the time. would mostly be remoting in to other machines, so the load on the machine would mostly be chrome, music, maybe some excel work here and there. i guess my biggest worry is portability and ease of use. i see that the air is only .3lb lighter than the mbp, so does it really feel lighter and more portable? the light up part of the keyboard on the pro seems more annoying than useful, so i don't care about that.

so yea, that's where i'm at. i feel if i went air, it'd be worth getting the i5 or i7 and 16gb of ram, right? and reviews have said it's worth upgrading the mbp's processor as well if you go that route, so you're adding hundreds there too, so kind of a wash.

in any case, hoping to futureproof it without going insane. i've also seen some discussion apple is moving to arm processors in their macs. is that worth holding off on either of these? i already have a thinkpad that's working fine. just really looking for something as portable as possible.

ultimately i'll pay whatever for what gets me what's best, but obviously would rather spend less than more.

thanks for any advice.

If you’re running Windows 80% get something like a high end XPS? They’re real nice. Windows on Macs works but it’s not optimal, particularly managing thermal profiles, and there’s a lot of really nice Win 10 laptops on the market. I say this as the owner of a i9 16” - if my use case was Windows I wouldn’t buy a Mac.

E: saw your response, but still if you’re only using Mac OS 20% of the time VM it...it’s not 2012 there’s a lot of really nice Windows laptops out with equal or better screens. Now Windows scaling isn’t as good imo, but that’s an OS issue and if you’re using Windows 80% either way...

If you’re set on this get a MBP an Air isn’t going to do what you want I don’t think. I’m confused though if the machine is remoting in mostly why the need for Windows? I guess I don’t understand your use case.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 27, 2020

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

abelwingnut posted:

holy moly, you can set up os x as a vm on win 10? that does sound like the ticket.

basically, my situation is i’m mostly a dba/developer using ms sql, hence all of the windows work. remoting in would be accessing a lot of my organization’s different servers that i need to manage. i’ve always found managing different remote sessions far easier on windows, so another plus there. this could also be an outdated position. the os x portion would be for xcode, which i’m going to have to start learning and using in the next few weeks.

so yea, need a bit of everything. but if i can run os x in a vm, that changes everything. i’ll have to check that out—thanks.

if not, it seems like the mbp is more recommended per here. i guess i am failing to see why that is? the air seems quite powerful and could handle ssms and ssis ina dual boot situation. the specs seems to be there at least. i guess i’m not envisioning properly the huge performance gulf between the similarly priced gen 10 i7 air with 16gb of ram and a gen 8 i5 mbp with 16gb of ram. obv the gen 10 mbp will likely perform far better, but they’re also $500 more.

sorry if i’m being a clod here and not seeing the obvious.

I think my concern anyway with the Air would be that Windows doesn't do thermal profiling very well on Mac hardware so I'd be concerned about fans and throttling but for your use that might not matter. And yeah, you can run Mac OS in a VM – I know folks who do it using Virtual Box, not sure if you can in VM ware I would assume so.

Quick google result seems to indicate you can do it with Catalina as well -- https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/macos-windows-10-virtual-machine/

e; just noticed you want to use xcode, not a dev so I don't know but my understanding is it's pretty RAM thirsty so if you go the Mac OS VM route I'd get something with a lot of RAM.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 27, 2020

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

rufius posted:

All the loving “tech journalists” like to claim they understand what Apple is up to.

However, this is very similar to how economists have predicted 11 of the last 4 recessions.

Based on Apple’s stated transition plan and the EOL for various OSes, it’ll be a bit before they’ve completely dropped x86_64. My guess is 5-6 years after the first ARM machines drop before we see the current x86_64 hardware get deprecated.

I expect to get a new laptop every 4-6 years so that’s right in my window. I just picked up a 16” MBP and that’ll keep me set to ride out the ARM transition.

Exactly my plan, I retired my 2013 15” and got a 16” in February, figure that will last me until 2025 and then I’ll arm jump. Gonna get a new iPad Pro next year and give my 10.5” to my daughter.

Assuming society survives all this *gestures wildly*.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

SRQ posted:

Gonna repost my Genius Bar reservation notes:
Intermittent freezing. Photoshop reports a "GPU driver error". Connectivity problems. Have re-installed MacOS and I'm fairly confident this is a hardware fault.
16 inch, 2019, i9 model.

The last thing I did on it was some Bootcamp gaming, nothing too hyper-extreme it was just squad at 1080. If the GPU actually melted itself, I'd expect symptoms- but all I have is odd freezes and network issues, as well as file-transfer issues. Did the CPU bonk itself?

Weird as poo poo. Windows seemingly works fine but Big Sur and Catalina are both running about as well as they would on a 2012 with a flaky antenna. I'd love it if I can find a solution to this before my reservation Friday.
uuugggh

So ever since 10.15.6 I’ve had multiple apps report GPU driver errors (Photoshop, Blender AMD RenderPro, FinalCut). Restarting fixes it, as does forcing discrete GPU all the time it seems. I don’t have any of the other issues you’ve outlined - 2019 16” i9 with 8GB card. Just posting this because as far as I can tell the AMD driver issue is a software problem, I’ve run diagnostics and stress tests and things seem ok. Sorry your having such a hassle, hope it’s resolved easily.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

a neurotic ai posted:

The 2012 rmbp was unironically the greatest laptop ever created though?

My 2019 16 inch? Absolutely terrible machine

No wrong, the 2013 15” MBP was the best laptop ever created by man. I miss mine. My 2019 16” isn’t that bad but Catalina absolutely is terrible.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Earth posted:

I want to thank everyone for their input. I consider myself more informed, but also more confused. I wish there was a more clear direction.

Rereading the advice it appears it wouldn't be bad to go ahead and grab the i5 version now and then in a couple of years think of another upgrade. While it has been seven years since the last upgrade there's nothing stopping me from doing it earlier than four years. I figure I'll probably still be writing code and probably still have enough money that it's not devastating to upgrade again. I mean, I know of people that upgrade every two years.

I don't know. I'll think on it some more. Remaining question is does anyone have experience with this external monitor? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...PDKIKX0DER&th=1

I bought a 16” in Feb and am in zero way worried about the transition. Intel machines are going to have a pretty long market life, particularly the “pro” designated ones imho. Buy what you need, the Apple silicon machines will probably be awesome too but Intel support is going to be critical for 3 years absolute minimum. After that, once there’s a 32 core A30x workstation or w/e then yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

BobHoward posted:

A 16" MBP will absolutely smoke a 13" for video editing and encoding. The 16" has 2x the CPU cores, a massively higher spec cooling system to let them run fast, and a discrete AMD Radeon GPU instead of relying on Intel integrated video.

All that said, I have no feel for whether a mid- or high-end 13" would suit your particular needs. It might be enough. I can only inform you that yes, there's a really significant performance gap between the two.

ARM MacsBooks (Pro) will probably be great. Nobody knows the schedule for which ones get converted first, or exactly when that will happen. Best guesstimations and rumor mill churn suggest that the 13" Pro gets replaced with an ARM equivalent before the 16" does, and the 16" might not go until well into next year, but who really knows. Best guesstimations also indicate that a 13" class ARM MBP might be in the same performance territory as the current 16" Intel, if not better. But once again, nobody knows anything for sure.

Personally as someone who also relies on Adobe software to make a living I wouldn’t assume that those specific tools are going to be in a good place for Mac ARM 1.0. Like, if you use CC on Catalina, do you really want that on the first version of Apple silicon? I don’t. If you can switch to Affinity/Final Cut that might mitigate the risk. Just look at what Adobe offers on the iPad. It’s poo poo.

The 16” is a great machine, if you need mobile Mac OS video I’d say it’s the only real option.