Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
This might be a stupid question but could someone explain screen resolution to me? How does the iPad (and iPhone for that matter) double in resolution and still show everything at the same "size?" If I change my monitor's resolution then everything gets bigger/smaller, and I can't imagine everything on my 13" MBP doubling down in size if the resolution get's doubled cause then I can't read anything. On the other hand if everything just looks "better" but keep the same sizes like how the iPad/iPhone did it then I don't really see how that would be great either unless I'm editing pictures or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
MacBook5,1

Anyone have a picture tutorial handy for what needs to be done to upgrade the RAM that I can email to someone who's never done it before?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

That is awesome, thanks.

Is there any difference between Crucial and Corsair RAM? If they're both the same then I'm just going to tell them to buy the cheaper Corsair one.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Just ordered 8 GB of RAM for my 2010 13" MBP, up from 4 GB. Hope the improvement is as good as people say it should be. This laptop is slow as sin right after a reboot or just when I start up Mail + Spotify + Safari + Skype at the same time (which I do quite often since I usually close them all except for Safari when I want to play any games (even though Safari is the real memory hog here)).

Is it true that upgrading RAM with the 320M video card also means that the RAM 'on the 320M' will also increase? Saw it in a comment on Amazon that his VRAM increased since it's shared or whatever.

I also didn't realize SSDs were so cheap now, and by cheap I guess I mean that it's past the $1 per GB mark. I'd buy one too but I'd rather just wait until the newer MBPs come out and then maybe they'll be even cheaper then :allears:.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 31, 2012

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Do I need to reinstall Lion on the SSD or can I clone my current hard drive over? Not sure if there would be alignment issues and what not.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

wooger posted:

Yep, no problem doing that. Just clone your partition using one of carbon copy cloner or super duper, pointing it at the new drive as the target, and making it bootable.

O.

It's that easy, really? I seriously thought there would be all sorts of issues just cloning the hard drive over but ok. How would I "point it at the new drive" though, since I can only install one or the other? I don't have an extra external 2.5" inclosure or anything, unless SSDs come with some kind of USB adaptor which I don't see listed on the Amazon page. I guess I could put it into the optical bay but I don't have the mount/converter for that and don't want to shell out $99 for it.

Speaking of my optical bay, my superdrive is broken or out of alignment because it's incapable of reading any CDs. Doesn't bother me enough to pay money to buy a new Superdrive because I can't remember the last time I needed it. Since it's plugged in and still recognized, I'm assuming it's still drawing power from the battery. Is it safe for me to just unplug and remove it from my MBP?

If you guys can answer my question about the HDD->SSD cloning then I might just pull the trigger and buy the 128GB Crucial M4 today. WIll have to rethink about how I value space since I'm using a 500GB HDD right now (with 250GB partitioned for Windows), but on the OS X side I'm only using ~80GB.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

My sister upgraded her RAM just fine and she says it's a huge improvement from 2 GB, but that it still felt a bit slow. I had her download that SMART utility program in the last page and it said her hard drive was failing. I'm actually kind of upset by this because she took her MBP to an Apple Store and I would have thought they would have ran a full and through diagnosis on it but she told me all they said was it was slow because of her RAM.

Anyway, I looked for hard drives on Amazon and Newegg for her to order but drat, I don't know if hard drives are still expensive or if SSDs are really that much cheaper now because the choices are either $60 for a 160 GB WD HDD and $90 for the 120 GB Mushkin Chronos SSD. It was a complete no brainer for me to recommend the SSD since her main complaint is that it's slow and she has 100 GB of free space left on her HDD right now with music and pictures.

Now I'm totally jealous because I don't have a SSD nor have I ever used one.

Edit: I just realized I had her buy a single 4GB RAM instead of 2x2GB. I also just saw that her MBP (5,1) supports up to 8GB, I thought it was only 4GB. Whoops. Two questions then: 1) can she mismatch 1x4GB and 1x1GB RAM together? 2) If not (or even if so I guess), is it worth it to buy another 4GB stick to bring it up to 8GB?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 3, 2012

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

jwoven posted:

I have the latest Mac Mini (mid 2011), base model with the 2.3ghz i5. I would like to upgrade the storage to something faster, as it currently has a Hitachi 5400rpm 500gb drive.

Option 1: Buy an SSD and a usb enclosure. Put SSD into the mini, put the existing hdd into the enclosure. Install OS and programs to SSD, keep documents on now-external hdd.
Price: Crucial M4: $120, External enclosure: $20 = $140

Option 2: Buy an SSD, and the second hard drive kit from ifixit. Both SSD and hdd in the mini.
Price: Crucial M4: $120. Second hard drive kit: $70+30 shipping (:smith:) = $220

Option 3: Buy a fast HDD, replace the slow hdd.
Price: WD Scorpio: $80.

Option 3a: Buy a Seagate Momentus XT 750gb. Replace slow hdd.
Price: Seagate Momentus XT 750gb: $160.

Option 4: Buy a big SSD.
Price: Crucial M4 256gb: $230

Best option?
Also, how would I go about installing OS X onto a new hdd/ssd? I do have a 10.6 DVD, but this mini doesn't have a DVD drive. If I have the image of the disk, could I install it like that? Could I even install 10.6 onto this, or am I stuck with 10.7?

If you check one or two pages back, I think I asked the same thing and somebody posted a caddy for the optical bay for $10 or so. The concensus was also to just use CCC or similar to clone the HDD to the SSD and then do the swap. My SSD is on the delivery truck right now so that's what I'll do tonight after work.

Does Filevault's FDE play nice with SSDs? One of my standard practices is to fill a new hard drive with random data using dd before using FDE do that my data is both encrypted and that there's no chance for people to tell where my data even is. But I get the feeling that this creates unnecessary wear on a SSD and I shouldn't do this. As long as I can clone my current drive to the SSD and turn on FDE then I'm happy.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 5, 2012

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

FlashBangBob posted:

Again there are things that go along with this that say "this will be the low end model, and maybe a $999 Pro" or something. Where the 15 and 17 inch get a better form factor, and more "premium" features.

And its all rumors.

I hope not. I really like the 13" size. For me it's the perfect size tradeoff between portability and functionality. Tried the smaller MBA for a few days at work and though the resolution was nice, I wished the screen was a bit bigger. I've had 15" notebooks in the past and those are just too big for me to throw around in my bags and carry.

Edit:

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The inclusion of an optical drive eats up space that should be used for battery, solid state storage, and size reduction. Portables should not have optical drives any more.

I asked pages ago but didn't really get an answer. My SuperDrive is broken. It still gets recognized and OS X doesn't see any problems with it, but the laser heads or whatever must be out of alignment or something because it can not read or burn CDs. It just spins them up and then ejects them. Is it safe for me to just pull it out of my MBP without replacing it with a HDD or anything? I don't really want to buy another one because I don't use it, and I don't need another HDD installed in place. In my mind I don't see how it could be bad cause I'd be lightening the weight a bit and maybe even lowering power consumption too since the OS think it's still functioning so it's probably drawing some idle power.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 5, 2012

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

kuskus posted:

Unless something "must-have" comes out, I love my mid-2011 i5 13" Air to death. Unfortunately, I'm just running out of disk space too often with 128GB. Seems like just a little more room would be great. Should I trust any of the ~$275 Samsung 256GBs on eBay? I know OWC seems like go-to but don't I want less battery time or to fork out an additional $100. Anyone have experience with a good vendor or good replacement SSD?

I just bought a 256 GB SSD from Crucial (the M4 series, which is recommended in the SSD thread) for roughly €200 including shipping and an external enclosure to do the transfer with. I say read the OP in that thread and buy the one with the best price/storage ratio at the volume you want.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

A little bit of electrical tape or something would do the trick, but if you're cracking the thing open and removing the DVD drive you might as well spend the $150 it would take to get a caddy and an SSD for that spot. It will still weigh less than the DVD drive and won't hurt your battery life in any noticeable fashion, but you'll get all that SSD goodness.

You kinda missed the part where I said I already have a SSD (well, it'll get here tomorrow) to replace the HDD and that I don't need the extra space of having a SSD+HDD. Electrical tape it is.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Installed my SSD just now, don't have much to say about it yet except that I was under the impression that my boot up time would be nearly instant, but it's not. User the timer on my iPhone it took me about 50 seconds from when I pressed the power button to getting to my desktop. Take off some seconds where I had to type in my username/password and it's still ~45 seconds from power on to desktop.

Is this as good as it gets or am I doing something wrong?

MBP 13" 2010 base model by the way.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

kuskus posted:

Sounds about right for a Core 2 Duo. 4GB of RAM?

Oops no, upgraded to 8 GB recently.

The only thing I can think of is when I cloned with CCC from the old hard drive to the new SSD I didn't turn off FV2 so I don't know if that would have any affect. Right now I have FV2 disabled on the SSD though (well it was automatically disabled, because I guess I can't enable it without the recovery partition which wasn't cloned). Don't know if I should try recloning again with FV2 explicitly turned off before but it took an hour…

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

That doesn't sound right. Which SSD do you have? I put in a Crucial M4 in my 2011 MBP and it booted up in 15 seconds.

I have the same Crucial m4 @ 256 GB. When people talk about boot speeds are they only starting at the chime or when you press the power?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

I have a 2010 13" with 8gb of ram and a Corsair F115 SSD. Boots in 15-20 seconds, something is up with your setup... then again the first or two reboots of a new install are slow.

OK, this is much better now. Played with my computer normally and rebooted a few times now, and now if I just start the timer from when I hear the chime it gets to the desktop around ~20 seconds including the time I have to type in my username and password. I think now I can boot up with Mail, Safari and Spotify around 25 seconds which feels pretty fast to me. Much better than that 45+ seconds.

Do I/should I disable hibernation since i have 8 GB of RAM and I heard every time I close the lid on my MBP it dumps all contents of my RAM into a 8 GB file? I never turn off my computer and I open/close the lid a lot throughout the day.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So is there basically no chance for the retina display to head towards the 13" MBP due to hardware and space limitations?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Shin-chan posted:

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/design/

There's a better picture around midway down the page. The SSD seems to be removable.

Why does that page call the SSD simply "Flash." Is it just marketing jargon?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Serious question, what good does a retina display on my MBP do for me if I'm not a photographer, graphics designer, or video editor? It's my naive understanding that with the retina display, what is now "one pixel" will be driven by four pixels. This only means that with new retina enabled apps, designers would draw the assets at full size (for 2880 × 1800) but then OS X will automatically halve the assets such that they fit the same as they do now for 1440 × 900 resolutions. The only difference here is that things will look shinier. As far as apps that don't have retina assets, everything will be doubled and look just the same as they do now. Am I right?

I mean I just don't see the point to paying a premium for shinier buttons with more detailed gradients. For photographers and people who use Photoshop or make movies, I can understand the benefits of it and why it's awesome, but for an Average Joe what exactly does it bring to the table?

I perfectly understand it for iOS devices because the differences are night and day, but on my 13" MBP I don't see the same kind of pixelation that was on the non-retina iPhones and iPads.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

ynotony posted:

So who is the 13" MBP for? I want to replace my 13" MBP and cannot think of any good reason to not get an Air this time. My 2.26ghz Core 2 Duo with 8gb of ram is a little sluggish for my daily computing nowadays... will an Air blow it away? Has the Air closed the performance gap between it and the 13" MBP? I'd put a SSD and 8gb of ram in both.

My upgrade intervals have been growing (1 year, 2 years, 3 years) so this next computer will probably need to last awhile.

I use my 13" MBP at home as my main computer, able to play D3 and Skyrim, and occasionally running some CAD-like programs for getting work done. Can the 13" MBA handle these things with the video card it has?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Are there any good reviews/benchmarks of the new MBP yet? I'm assuming there are already people who have one and that some people were sent MBPs to review.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Why do you guys need 16 GB of RAM?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Do all/most other laptop makers design their own boards and poo poo like Apple does or do they just buy commercial parts in bulk and connect it together?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What's the best way to clean my old MBP? Can I just use Windex on the screen since it's a glass panel? What do I use to clean the keyboard (and trackpad) of small bit of grease?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

When does anyone need to simultaneously left and right click at the same time? Even with CAD programs I don't think I've ever had to do that (though the mouse control scheme for every single god drat CAD program is different so who knows).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Choadmaster posted:

"Home" and "End" are treated as scrolling commands, not commands that move the text insertion point around. They are grouped with Page Up and Page Down, after all. You move the text insertion point around using the arrow keys.

Useful commands to move around the insertion point:
Option-Left/Right Arrow: Jump word by word
Option-Up/Down Arrow: Jump paragraph by paragraph
Command-Left/Right Arrow: Jump to beginning/end of line
Command-Up/Down Arrow: Jump to beginning/end of text

If there's one to move sentence by sentence, I don't know it. Edit: did a little Googling to see if there is such key combo and it looks like there isn't. Did discover a couple more interesting ones though:

Option-Delete: Delete whole word
Command-Delete: Delete whole line

:aaa: What the christ is this wizardry?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Reinanigans posted:

Ordered my high-end 13'' Pro today; 8GB RAM, 2.9 Dual Core i7, and I opted for the 128GB Solid State Drive. I should be getting it by the 17th and I'm really excited. Considering I exclusively use my computer for web browsing, watching videos, and very light gaming (emulators for old games and the like), did I go overboard with this? My reasoning is that I've used my current PC for like...6 or 7 years, and hopefully the Macbook will last me as long, so I don't want it to become obsolete too quickly. Also, I've heard nothing but rave reviews for the Solid State, so for $100 more, I figured it was well worth it.

As was already said, yes, I think you went way overboard on this. Just checking the store this is $1600 + tax. But you could have just taken the base model for $1200 + tax and then upgraded the RAM to 8 GB and get a 256 GB SDD for about $250 untaxed. I use a 2010 MBP with a 2.4 GHz C2D CPU for "web browsing, watching videos, and [not so light] gaming (D3, etc)" and it's still good enough for me despite being outdated. Another thing about Macs is, if this is your first one and it sounds like it is, they don't really lose their resale value like Windows laptops and machines do, so I really wouldn't worry about keeping it for 6-7 years because chances are you can sell it when the 13" retinas come out some time and recover a lot of the cost.

So honestly if you can cancel this order and get a cheaper one, or even an air, I would.

On the other hand, you won't regret the one you bought either so whatever. Enjoy!

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 7, 2012

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Smutton posted:

Holy crap, I'm outside right now and I can see the Apple logo through my MBP screen - even at max screen brightness. It forms a yellow spot in the middle of my screen. I'm going to assume this is just a design flaw?

This happens to me too sometimes. I have a lamp setup right behind my monitor on my desk at home for some backlighting in the dark and if I don't turn the brightness up all the way I can sometimes see a yellow Apple on my screen. It's just a bit annoying so I just put a piece of paper over the lamp to make it softer and I don't see it anymore.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I played around with a MBPr at the Apple Store the other day and thought it felt a bit sluggish at the normal 2:1 scaling. Are other people experiencing the same thing?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

ufarn posted:

There will always be sluggishness in some cases, but did you check if it had Mountain Lion on?

I assume it does because why wouldn't an Apple Store have ML on all of their computers yet? The sluggishness came from simple tasks like opening Safari—the animations were terrible. My current 2010 MBP circa Lion felt more responsive (and both have SSDs) to be honest. Maybe it's just a problem with ML added too many animations or something, because on my MBP switching spaces feels really laggy to me compared to in Lion too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

sweek0 posted:

#firstworldproblems but my new MBA has lead to me not using my old iPad anymore at all. Who else has both and what do you still use the iPad for?

I block "fun" and "time waster" sites on my MBP and can't login to anything on my work iMac (on account of me using 1Password to remember 50 digit passwords and I don't have 1Password installed at work), so I regulate funtime to my iPhone and/or iPad. It keeps me from wasting too much time because I'll notice I've been holding my iPad for a bit browsing Facebook.

I also keep the iPad next to my bed so when I wake up first thing I do is jump over to Google Reader and catch up on news before getting up to shower and stuff. To not end up spending three hours in bed reading stuff my system is I just 'star' the articles I want to read and then go through them throughout the day. It's an awesome system for me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Kalix posted:

Why does Safari affect battery life?

Would be hard to ditch Chrome..

I'm just going to assume it's because it's written be Apple and they should be experts in their own API and it's in their best interest to optimize their own software.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Lexicon posted:

Anyone here have a Time Capsule and would recommend it? I'm mostly interested in the low-friction backup as well as the ability to wireless print.

I have one and I can't recommend it. The firmware is too limited compared to something like Tomato.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Do the 27" Displays come with a thunderbolt cable or have buyable warranty?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What do you mean you know how you feel about that? You knew that there would eventually be a 13" MBP with Retina Display; and you knew that next year there's probably going to be a second generation 15" MBP with Retina Display.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Are the rumors for the new iMac only for the 21 inch model or also for the 27 inch?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm thinking about selling my MBP and picking up a new 13" MBA. I don't do much with my MBP at the moment: just programming, watching movies, Photoshop/Lightroom, and occasionally gaming (Diablo 3, WoW, Skyrim w/ Bootcamp). Is the Air powerful enough for me? Should I also upgrade to the i7 and how does this effect battery life? Are the RAM and/or SSD user–upgradable or are they also soldered on?

e: Never mind, this was mostly all answered one page back.

It seems the RAM is soldered, is the SSD also soldered?

(One more question and this is more speculation, but are/have there been any rumors about a Retina upgrade for the MBA?)

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 11, 2012

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

MancXVI posted:

That would cannibalize sales from the 13" rMBP.

I don't see how this matters at all. The people who are going to upgrade are going to upgrade, and the people looking for a 13" rMBP have a choice between it and the new 13" rMBA. At the end of a day the still sold a MacBook.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

MrBigglesworth posted:

Launchpad app not alphabetizing the icons.

Protip: don't use the Launchpad (cmd + space + type in the first letters of the app). But if you insist it works just like a smart phone so you can rearrange it if you haven't figured it out.

MrBigglesworth posted:

Right click a file/folder in finder to see how much space is used.

cmd + i brings up the information window. Also cmd + , brings up the Options/Settings for most/all programs. You should probably just learn these new shortcuts because less fumbling around with the menu means it's much faster and responsive and overall a better user experience.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Does MacMall charge sales tax? They have MBAs cheaper than Apple even before taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

When new chips come out. And by that, I mean the low-voltage Haswell chips which are supposedly not going to be seen until Q3 2013.

Are these Haswell chips suppose to be super great? I want to replace my 2010 era 13" MBP with a new 13" MBA, but I don't need to and can wait another half year for the new ones. The way I see it, I think the current era MBA is already more powerful than my MBP, and my MBP is still doing great, but I like new and shiny things.