Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What all gets replace with a keyboard top case? Am I reading right that the battery gets replaced too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Binary Badger posted:

Top Case Assembly for 2016 - 2019 rMBPs contains:

-Keyboard
-Trackpad
-Battery
-Touch Bar (unless it's a nTB model like the 2016-2017 13-inch 2-TB port rMBPs)
-Microphone
-Speakers

For 2-port 13-inch 2020 Intel and M1 MBPs, it's the same as above but the trackpad is separate.

Nice. Especially the battery. Keyboard feels weird to type on now cause it’s all new. Turnaround time was a bit over a week. I think I got the shipping box on a Thursday and dropped it off to Office Max on Friday morning. They said they started working on it Tuesdayish and said it’d get to my by Friday, but then the snowstorm hit so I guess it got caught up and I didn’t get it until Monday.

Is the keyboard assembly the same old one that’s prone to breaking or is it the updated one? This is for a 2018 rMBP.

E: What is the longest USB-C charging cord I can buy for my MBP? I want something longer than the included one and iirc there’s some kind of length limitation with USB-C?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 20, 2021

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

Did Apple work on it or Office Max?

Apple. Office Max was just the closest drop off location for UPS or whoever they use.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

kgibson posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the keyboard replacement program? How willing are they to swap out keyboards and what has your experience with turnaround time been?

I have a 2018 retina Macbook Air that has had the double keystroke/sticking key issues for some time but it is becoming intolerable. I'm torn between having the keyboard replaced (or attempting to) or just trading it in for an M1 MBA.

I just got my 2018 rMBP replaced and it took 1-2 weeks with the delays due to Texas freezing over. It’s pretty easy: just get a chat dialog going through their iMessage thing and ask them to send you a box. Pack it up and drop it off somewhere and it’ll get back to your door probably the next week. When they delivered the laptop the label did explicitly say signature required though, but during COVID I think that just means the UPS guy needs to see someone open the door to get it rather than leaving it on the welcome mat.

There was no resistance of reluctance for it. They just asked if there was water damage and it’s it.

E: If you wanna upgrade to a M1 MBP, I’d still get the keyboard replaced because that comes with a new set of batteries cause it’s glued onto the top case which all needs to be swapped out. Then you could sell a MBA with a brand new battery and keyboard at least. I think trackpad too.

Bob Morales posted:

I have had it done a few times on a few different Macs. No questions asked. Usually have it back within a day or two, even if I mail it in. If you call apple support they will send you a fedex box to ship it in (for another $20)

They sent it to me free, not sure why they charged you.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 2, 2021

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

kgibson posted:

Thanks. Do you all know if there's any issue with having a firmware password set up? Do they need it to be bootable/accessible for testing of any sort?

They’ll tell you what to do before sending it in. IIRC, they’ll need you to disable find my Mac, turn off the firmware password, and turn off your admin account password. Last one is a bit ehhh, if you’re paranoid or have things that you can’t risk getting out I’d just clone the drive and reformat it before sending it out.

E: thinking about it sending an unencrypted and completely unlocked computer to someone is probably high on the list of things you should never do, even if the recipient is an Apple employee.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 2, 2021

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

kgibson posted:

Makes sense. I'll probably end up just wiping it if that's the case.

I jumped on the chat with them a little while ago and requested a box to ship it back to them, so that ball is rolling. No mention in the chat of anything to do apart from making sure I had a backup, though they did ask for the admin username. Can't wait to get it fixed--it's kind of unreal to me how awful the keyboard has gotten!

There’ll be a piece of paper in the box with instructions I think.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Empress Brosephine posted:

Do any of you also have to install Xcode after every fukkin software update

Yeah and it’s annoying as gently caress.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Perplx posted:

I think m# is going to be tied to a die shrink, unlike intel apple is not going release a new cpu unless it has better performance per watt.

Apple has developed and released a new SoC every year for the past several years for their iPads, iPhones, and Watches. I think it’s safe to assume Apple will be releasing updates SoCs for their Mac line on a yearly basis. Wasn’t one of the reasons they went all in on ARM because Intel was moving too slow and wouldn’t build custom designs for them?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I wasn’t aware there was an event today but I just saw pictures of the new MBP and why does it have a notch? I don’t care that my iPhone has one and I probably wouldn’t care if my laptop had one too but like … why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Not sure how I feel about MagSafe to be honest. Yeah MagSafe is great and all but by now I’ve gotten used to being able to charge (almost) everything with the same USB-C power brick and USB-C cable. MagSafe means it’s an extra brick and cable I have to bring again.