Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I've had my Air (Mid 2009) in for repair with an Apple affiliate, they put in a new HDD because my old one stopped working. Now the screws are coming loose on the bottom, should I return it or just buy new screws myself? I don't want to void my AppleCare which lasts until December this year but to turn it in for such a minor thing also seems dumb.

And I don't feel that this warrants a thread in Tech Support put please tell me if this is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Archer2338 posted:

Similar question to above poster:

(Posted originally in laptop thread, but I realized this may have the experts)
I just want to confirm some advice I gave a friend:

He's an engineering student, and has the choice between a Macbook Pro Retina or a Macbook Air (13").
He says he'll be using it for note taking and writing papers, no crazy gaming.
I asked him if he'll be running some modelling programs, and he said that he might use the lab computers for those...
As to Haswell -- apparently, he's getting it as a gift, so no waiting.

I recommended him an air based on portability, would this be correct?

As I understand it there might be an update to the MacBook-line up in June, so he should wait until then if it is possible.

Eee: Is that was Haswell is? If so ignore me because I'm stupid.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Yup.

DVD
Ethernet
The letters are nice and big
Still a mile ahead of poo poo PC notebooks

But they are so heavy?

I guess if you don't care about mobility it'll do, but I hated lugging my old 13" MBP around.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Civil posted:

I'm currently planning on getting a 11" air after the refresh, but if they were to drop the optical drive from the MBP and slim it down a bit more, I'd go for that instead. Hard to justify spending much more than $1k on a computer I'm basically using for web surfing, office work, and menial network tasks.

I'd go for this as well. A larger MBA with more horsepower would be awesome but as mentioned above I think that Apple needs, or wants to, offer distinct products.

Mercurius posted:

They did this already, it's called the 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display. Better screen, solid state drive, better battery, weighs 400 grams less. It just costs more.

If you don't care about the retina it's too expensive, the SSD is nice though.

Boatswain fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 30, 2013

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Do you even lift bro?

I could kick your rear end, bro.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I'm excited by how much faster the new MBA will be compared to my current mid-09 one.

Or I'll wait for the rMBP update whenever that is…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

fookolt posted:

Yeah, this laptop isn't going to be my main; I just want something to read and write on (and maybe play an indie game when my girlfriend kicks me off my desktop so she can crunch stats). It would be amazing to just take a laptop to write notes at work instead of having to decipher my lovely chicken scratch from my 30th notepad for the week; that's basically the primary use for it.

Thanks for all the insights, everyone. It's really helpful.

Just want to add in that I've been using a(n old as poo poo) 13" MBA but compared to the 11" I've tried it is much more comfortable for extended typing. For your purposes an 11" might work just fine though.