Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

FYI, the buzz is that retina ACD's will be dropping soon, since the new Mac Pro is designed with 4K in mind and stocks of the current ACD lineup are out and not being reordered at a lot of retailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My mom's 13" 2009 MacBook Pro needs a new battery. I would like to purchase one that is not $99 but also not Supper Capacity branded and wont set my house/mom on fire. Is there a cheap way to buy OEM?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Are there any matte screen protectors for the rMBP that actually produce the effect of a matte display and don't have a grainy, headache-inducing appearance?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have a 3TB WD Black I use in my Hackintosh (though that shouldn't make a difference.) HFS formatted. When I sled it and hook it up to my new 15" rMBP, it appears fine on the Bootcamp side but not at all on the Mac side – not even under df or Disk Utility.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BobHoward posted:

What about 'diskutil list'? Do you know what kind of partition table it has?
Don't know. Only the drive itself appears under diskutil list – none of the volumes – including when I mount/unmount it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My mom's mid-2009 MacBook Pro had a busted fan for a while, which I replaced. But it is still running very, very hot, think mid-high 90s even under slight load in a cool environment. I re-pasted the CPU & GPU and it didn't improve things. Thoughts?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

Get one of those IR temperature guns and see where the hottest portion of the interior is. I'd be willing to bet good money if it's still the original hard drive a lot of heat could be coming from that, I remember some platter based drives becoming scorching hot with age.

Also make sure the venting near the fan exhaust isn't blocked; also make sure there's no gunk in the vanes that the fan is blowing on.
It's an SSD I installed, no longer has the original drive. Exhaust and vanes check out fine.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Try Hackintosh, it's usually pretty straightforward these days.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I've never considered it till now, but it would be much better to switch to just a rMBP with an eGPU than run my current Hackintosh rig mostly for the graphics horsepower.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 17, 2016

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It is a faster port that can also be used to charge the laptop

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Regarding the keyboard, you might be right, but for the price those MacBooks are going for, I also don't like the slower performance and the lack of available connections either. I'll be using it for a lot of typing too, so if that keyboard doesn't end up working out, then that's going to be a pain in the rear end.
The older MBP models ('13, '14, '15) have plenty of ports, a good keyboard, and will have identical performance for what you're looking to do, and you'll save big $$$ vs. the new one.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/FF839LL/A/refurbished-133-inch-macbook-pro-27ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

FCKGW posted:

There's no 13" on the refurb store right now.
I assume you're referring to the Phatty, and there's no reason to buy one anymore.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Can the SSD or ram be upgraded on these or no?
RAM can't be upgraded, but do you really need more than 8gb? OWC offers drop-in SSDs.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Dammit, completely didn't order that refurb MacBook Pro in time and now they are out. Probably no telling when they will be in again, right? Is there a certain day they update the site or is it whenever they want?
Keep a close eye on the site, I think the stock updates a lot.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

well why not posted:

me, in my mind's eye:

I had one of these. I miss it so bad.

The industrial design was great. Don't know why every monitor case today has to be dumb plasticky crap.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

What are you planning to use the ports for? The philosophy behind fewer better ports is that you should be doing almost everything wirelessly unless you need a superfast connection.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Ask yourself, very honestly, can you live with one USB port and possibly live with not being plugged in to power or a monitor while using that one USB port
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y5N3YCD/

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

No usb 3.0....
I mean, I picked this one because it supports 4k@60hz, but if you don't need that, there are lots of other options.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

magiccarpet posted:

I have a Macbook Pro 15'' Retina Late 2013 that I'd like to shove an external curved monitor at. Any recommendations that I can get to run at an acceptable resolution/frame rate?
You can run any 4k HDMI display at 60hz using this adapter. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B702YTG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yup, I actually stopped using a mouse on my desktop as well and switched to a Magic Trackpad 2 with Jitouch just because it is a far better way to use macOS.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

DO NOT DO THIS.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

A $20 power cable that destroys itself and your laptop
Also maybe your house! And you!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

better a soiled charger than soiled underwear

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

If any of you guys want to swap a 2016+ for a pimped out 2015 with AppleCare thru 2019, PM me.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Evis posted:

Courage is going to mean merging the iPad and MacBook product lines, not bringing back function keys.
Apple is not Microsoft, this would be a deeply stupid move they won't make because they've developed user experiences specific to each formfactor.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hey this is the original magic trackpad right? Looking for something for my old macbook pro (early 2011) that can do multi-touch gestures (using with a mouse now and it just feels...off). Also if I'm going used, is it better to go through Amazon or ebay?

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MC380Z-A-Wireless-Trackpad/dp/B003XLYAWC
That is the original, but I really do recommend the second gen if you can swing it – huge difference. The first one only clicks on the bottom, the second you can click anywhere. Also try the jitouch app if you like gestures!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I got this for $274 in November. No idea why the price is so much higher now but should be a great deal when it goes on sale.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Splinter posted:

The 2011s are already "vintage".
It's a 7 year old computer.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

~Coxy posted:

Asses are pretty clean compared to hands.
Serious Hardware / Software Crap › Mac Hardware megathread: Asses are pretty clean compared to hands.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Pivo posted:

What's wrong with 27"? Once you've tried it, sitting in front of a smaller one makes you wonder why we ever even bothered
:smugmrgw:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Dude just called me up and he's done it for free anyway, woo!
Nice! If you’re looking to transfer data from the old drive, throw it in a USB enclosure and hook it up to the iMac. On first boot you’ll get a Migration Assistant prompt you can use to transfer everything. Then it’ll be just like it was, only with an SSD and High Sierra.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

No, but for a majority of tasks they probably run just as fast. It’s still not quiet there though.

I’m sure Apple realizes they’ll need ARM chips to do something the Intel chips couldn’t. If they debut a MBP that can’t run old Mac apps or runs them poorly they’ll need some killer feature* to get people to upgrade.

*It’ll be a thinner laptop. It’s always a thinner laptop.
How many people are really regularly using non-Apple apps on Mac, or ones that Apple couldn't easily work to secure an ARM version of prior to launch like Photoshop? I know that we nerds want our iStat Menus and such but your average Mac user is basically just using Chrome, Mail, etc. I guess Office might be a sticking point.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Idk, if MacBook Pros were suddenly unbelievably loving fast with absurd battery life people might be OK with having to wait for upgrades to Office and Photoshop.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

tuyop posted:

1tb or bust. I don’t know your habits but I constantly regret going with the 512 in my MBP.
Can you elaborate? I have the 512 (split on Bootcamp even) and I never feel constrained, but I have plenty of external storage.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's time for me to ditch Hackintosh and use my MacBook Pro as a desktop machine again. The one thing I will be missing is having access to big, fast storage. I am thinking that USB3 is not sufficient for this, since I run my desktop by symlinking the major /Users subfolders to a big hard drive. Should I be looking for a Thunderbolt enclosure of some kind? I have a 2015 rMBP, so it would be Thunderbolt 2, but I would want Thunderbolt 3 compatibility for when I inevitable upgrade. 1 bay is fine.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm a dumb piece of poo poo and don't actually know that much about interface speed, can USB 3/3.1 saturate a SATA hard drive? I'm just going to slap a shucked 14TB WD Red in whatever I buy

My plan is to set up a "docked" user account with user account folder symlinks to the external drive and a "portable" account that keeps everything on the SSD. That way I can, for instance, seamlessly use iTunes with my huge ALAC library when the mbp is docked and use iTunes match on the go.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 26, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Get a synology unit, make an automator action to automatically connect to it on login, and make sure to check "Immediately release resources after disconnect" under AFP options on the Synology. Done

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I don't get why Apple consistently lets GeekBench results slip like that.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I now have a broken 21.5" 4K iMac (2017). My friend tried to put in an SSD, which he did successfully, but the screen doesn't work. It does work great when hooked up to an external display. Is there any way to diagnose whether he hosed up the display, the cable, or the logic board on my own, or do I basically have no choice but to take it to an AASP and pay some diagnostic fee so they can test it with parts they have on hand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yeah the screen space more than makes up for the lower portability imo.