Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sorry if I came across as standoffish. I should have used a tone that showed I was trying to clarify: if I go into the store for my trade-in, and they give me a value there, is that a done deal right then and there, or could it be revoked later on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

why

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

funmanguy posted:

loving hell Apple.

I have 17 iMacs on order from before the announcement and I asked my Apple Rep if they were going to be substituted for M1 models, because for some of those iMacs, that wouldn't work and we would need to make adjustments otherwise. They responded by just canceling all of my active orders and told me to buy them again with what I want.

I had a Macbook Pro on order when they made the ARM for the 13 inch models and I got an M1 mac before I even had antivirus or MDM that could function on the computer.

gently caress, just tell me what I am buying before you take my money.
Why are you installing antivirus on a Mac

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I feel dumb. I decided to set up a second monitor I had lying around, only to understand that when the M1 says it only supports one external monitor, it means it. I thought I could run two as long as I was in clamshell mode. gently caress.

How well does the DisplayLink solution work? On Googling it seems like there are a lot of complaints about bad drivers, no GPU acceleration, low refresh rates, etc. Or is there another workaround?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Maybe this is me being dumb again, but from a hardware perspective, if the M1 can support two total displays, then why can't it support two external displays while the internal screen is off?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

They could also just render DisplayLink unnecessary by shipping a laptop that supports more than one external display in the year of our lord 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Smythe posted:

if anyone is really masochistic you can try this piece of poo poo: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/811452-REG/Matrox_T2G_DP_MIF_TripleHead2Go_DP_Edition_External.html

few contraptions have ever pissed me off more than these boxes
Stuff like this intrigues me but I'd rather save the money for when the M2 Air comes out and I can just buy that, because I'm assuming that it will support multiple displays. Assuming!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

it's a Paul Rand design. it is most certainly worth the money

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i know this isn't the windows thread but you could really use some

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have constant issues with my USB-C docks and my understanding is that quite a few people do, across brands and models.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

What even is the argument people are making itt. "Apple makes lots of money therefore USB-C docks aren't bad"? :confused:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

italian quid posted:

No but you really should be viewing this as an opportunity to buy a top of the line Synology 8-Bay NAS like the DiskStation DS1821+ where you can run a VM of Windows 10 and then log in through Remote Desktop if you need a windows application
Jesus I had no idea this was possible, going to try it for the laffs

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So can I use just any USB-C charger with my M1 MBA?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

jokes posted:

The rich ones care, but most students could give a gently caress
no, they really don't. i mean maybe rich compsci students do? but none of the rich kids at my rich-kid-summer-camp liberal arts college knew what model or year macbook they had and none of them cared

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Brain Issues posted:

That’s like pointing out the sky is blue. Helpful post, and totally side-skirts the conversation and turns blame away from apple and onto the consumer for dare wanting to do more with their extremely powerful machine.

Sorry, but this is a bit of a sore spot for me as I work in IT and every time an end user asks for a Mac instead of a Dell, it’s a nightmare due to piss-poor dock and display support. I’m fed up with it.

This is despite me personally having a 14” MBP.
can you say more about this because my work insisted on me using a dell instead of a mac, and it was so slow and broken that it interfered with my job performance until it finally died this week after 6 months of use.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yeah the Anker USB-C dock I had that works fine with every Mac I have on hand, from my m1 mac to the dumpster fire 2017 mac i had in a closet, only worked sometimes with the dell. it would randomly drop the USB ports on a regular basis, and whined constantly that it wasn't outputting enough power (it was)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i promise i'll shut up about this soon, but my personal favorite thing about the dell was that the network card appeared to be on the USB bus, like a raspberry pi, because it would start losing reception if I plugged in USB-C peripherals until it finally would refuse to get a signal at all

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

e: nvm, let's be done with the derail

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 9, 2022

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Zil posted:

Okay, so hopefully this question won't start a fight this time, but does anyone have any recommendations on mac supported mechanical keyboards (brown switches preferred) or mice? Most of the functions work on the the ones I am using currently, but just little features that I am missing that make using what I previously used on windows annoying now.

For example I can no longer hold down the middle scroll wheel to drag a document back to the top, I have to scroll manually now. Also the function keys on my keyboard don't work and every time I restart the OS asks me to identify my keyboard.

Just looking for something that works out of the box I'm guessing.
I own and love a WASD with a mac layout. The correct pointing device is a Magic Trackpad but if you must use a mouse the MX Master 3 is the way to go

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

So... any recommendations for a place to buy a new battery? IFixit has one for $99.
NewerTech NuPower is the best. In the past iFixit has sold chinese copies that they claim are fine.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

A KOTEX lifehack for those of you who need a 4K capable USB-C dock.

Dell WD15s are widely available on Facebook Marketplace for like nothing. I bought one for $13.

The caveat is that they basically never come with a power adapter. You need to supply your own. That's an easy snag on eBay; I got a genuine HA180PM180 for like 20 bucks but they're even cheaper elsewhere.

Now you have a 4K dock that charges up to 180W, with a Realtek DAC, four USB 3.0 ports, and gigabit ethernet, for 30-40 bucks all in.

Unlike the Dell DisplayLink docks, which I also have, this one is not flaky and lovely. It just works really well with my M1 Mac.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Brain Issues posted:

Didn't I give one of you a WD15 for free awhile back?
Yes you did, that was me, I donated it to someone in need and in the process realized oh holky gently caress this dock that's $13 on the secondhand market is better than the $200+ displaylink dock that work bought me. I mean, does it have displaylink or TB? No. Does it work every single time? Yes.

shrike82 posted:

aren't all non-TB docks handicapped by low resolution/refresh rates?
4K30 would be a bad experience
Nope, 4k60 works fine

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 26, 2023

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

If you don't have to pay anything for it, sure..

For the price of bupkis, it's not a bad machine if you just want something to dunk around with.

With Open Core Legacy Patcher 0.6.2 you can even bring it up to the current macOS, 13.3 Ventura

Just a few things, though:

Good:

- 6,1 has 802.11ac (WiFi 5), Bluetooth 4.0, four USB 3.0 ports, six TB2 ports, and was pretty much the last Mac made with a combo optical / analog audio port

- The built in HDMI port will drive a 4K monitor, but only at a whopping 24 Hz refresh rate

- You can have up to three 4K displays attached simultaneously, but one has to be through slow HDMI port; other monitors must have MiniDisplayPort ports or equivalent adapter chains and they'll never refresh greater than 30 Hz. (Edit: and those monitors must have option to shut off MST or they won't work at 4K)

Meh:

- There are actually TWO D500s in the machine, but for all intents and purposes only one is ever used for display purposes and the other GPU can only be accessed by specially written programs such as Final Cut Pro for computational processes only.

- The SSD is upgradeable with a $20-30 adapter to allow store bought NVMe drives, though you must use SSDs that have been established to be Mac compatible

Bad:

- You will never get more than maybe 800 MB - 900 MB/sec throughput on the SSD thanks to Apple putting the SSD on a PCIe 2.0 x2 bus

- The D300 / 500 / 700 GPUs used in the 6,1 were manufactured specifically for the Mac Pro case, if one ever goes bad you cannot easily get an equivalent OEM PC AMD FirePro card and replace it without making massive mods, you must go to used Apple parts vendors

- You can't ever put anything on top of the unit as that's where the main exhaust is; cover it even with a sheet of paper and it'll boil over pretty quick
Just want to say how much I love incredibly helpful posts like this. It would be easy to say “yeah its a deece machine” but it’s a real public service to give a lowdown like this.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The Grumbles posted:

Ok so can we talk dockin'

I've got a nice metal vertical stand that the MacBook Air m2 goes in when I want to use it as a desktop. And then I plug in the Magsafe charger and a thunderbolt 4 to Displayport cable for it to drive my 144hz monitor.

Is there a more elegant but not ludicrously expensive way to do this? I guess it'd be nice to have just the one cable to dock, as it's always a bit fiddly doing both the MagSafe charger and the usb c to display port cable.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if there are any of those little usb c adapters out there that will both act as a power lead for the laptop, and drive the monitor at 144hz. Or if anyone else has any docking ideas!
Brydge Vertical Dock.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Jesus christ. I didn't know about all this. That explains why I was able to get two of the vertical docks on deep discount on Amazon, but had to make three returns to get the correct one for my macbook air.

The vertical dock is still a terrific product and if you can get your hands on one, it's a perfect solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

LionArcher posted:

Weird question. There’s a base level 15 inch MacBook Air new in box on Facebook marker place for $800. The seller has 8 5 star ratings, and one mutual friend ( a local phone repair owner I know who’s chill). There’s no way it’s not stolen right? Because for that price, I’m pretty tempted, as long as I can still get Apple care for it.
There are often crazy deals like this on Facebook, I paid 700 for a few month old M1 MBA last year. Just make sure to meet in person before exchanging funds and ensure it’s not activation locked.