Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

redeyes posted:

Is there any thing Apple can do that would make the faithful in this thread jump ship?
We have:
a) non fixable, non upgradeable Macbook pros (and Macbooks)
b) non fixable, non upgradable iMac Pros (and probably iMacs soon enough) for over 10 grand if you build like that
c) horrible problems with Macbook Pros (keyboard mostly), batteries, soldering

Isn't this the point where people start looking elsewhere? Apple is no longer a computer company, they make appliances.

Computers have always been appliances to most people. Apple just made them status symbols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

landgrabber posted:

they should also very much stop dicking us around and either lean back in to the i or expunge all is from the product line.

New, from Apple: The Phone!

Joining it's outrageously popular predecessors Pad and Watch, all running OS, Apple has finally brought you the platonic ideal* of personal computing.

*All Apple products now come in a trashcan form factor.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Would you drop your iPhone?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

Linux is great

EL BROMANCE posted:

Linux is also a great

Linux just worked when I installed it on an early 2008 MacBook and it's just worked on everything I've installed it on since. Stop trying to do arch builds you loving nerds.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

So that's why they haven't bothered to upgrade the mini.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Theophany posted:

Is that turbonerd audiophilia or something?

This is nothing but science!

Just lol if you don't have a dampening plinth for your digital music server to stop the bits from jittering.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

New Mac mini will be a new, smaller enclosure. Internals will remain the same.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Buy a surface, put Linux on it?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Mac Hardware megathread: getting a $1200 shroud for your processor and boot drive.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

japtor posted:

Storage is the easiest thing to work with externally though. GPUs are constrained a bit but also work now. RAM slots are big cause there'd be no other option if it was soldered.

If you want to save on the tax at least, B&H has a bunch of custom configs if you happen to be out of state. Main thing I'm holding off on for now is seeing how easy/hard the RAM upgrade will be.

Mac gaming will always remind me of this:

...and random old rear end Mac indie games if I really think about it. Just remembered Quagmire, it was a platformer with a robot. I think there was a sequel with another robot.

Sammy the Cycle Bot. There's plenty of Mac games pre-OSX, just not the ones that anyone remembers.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

smackfu posted:

On the Mac mini, is the base i3 good or not? I don’t follow intel cpu news very closely but I’ve seen some people allude that intel has made them better than they used to. But other people act like it’s a joke. Is that related to price or performance?

The new i3s are the last gen i5s, so they're not bad, and a couple of years ago would have been the standard price/performance rec when building a computer at twice their street price, but the new 6 cores will smoke them in multithreaded workloads and are assumedly the way of the future.

That said, most of the outrage comes from the fact that they're charging $800 for a $100 processor, $60 of RAM, and a $30 SSD, and the cost of the spec bumps don't make the price/performance any more favorable.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

iSimian posted:

My late 2009 27 iMac died a while ago and the last year I've been using a 2014 Mac Mini with i5 and 8gb RAM.
I'm using an external 1440p monitor, and mostly use the computer for amateur inDesign and Photoshop stuff, some light programming/web design, and the usual browsing, Netflix, spreadsheets, mail, Spotify, etc etc. I feel everything is going pretty slow if I do anything in Adobe or with multipl noe stuff going on.

I am wondering if I should splurge on a new Mac Mini with the 3,2 GHz 6-core i7, 16 GB RAM and the 512 GB SSD.

-Will I experience a great hike in performance over the 2014 Mini or will maybe Adobe CC not take that much advantage of the extra cores etc?
-Will the Intel UHD 630 gpu in the 2018 Mac Mini be good enough for everyday use and multiple monitors (or an ultrawide down the road)?

I see I can get a Razor Core X with a Vega 56 or 64, but it will cost around $1,1K and it doesn't seem to work in Bootcamp , making the whole gaming thing pretty moot for me. I kinda hoped to get rid of my PC all together.

Please call me an idiot and just tell me what to do.

Adobe applications are highly single thread dependent, but multiple cores should help with multitasking. Either way, your current one is a 2C/4T laptop part running around 3ghz. Performance on the new minis will depend on heat dissipation: if they can maintain the boost clocks the i7 (6C/12T) will significantly outperform the i3 (4C/4T), but if it winds up throttling it might not (in single core workloads) but either will out perform what you have now. Intel's igpu isn't going to be any good for 3D work, but it will run 2 monitors and do 2D work just fine, though it's likely you'll need some kind of adapter for the second display.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

BobHoward posted:

For what it’s worth the i3-8100 and i7-8700b are both 65W TDP chips. Depending on what kind of binning Intel is doing this generation, low end i3 chips may or may not use a lot less than their TDP rating even under full load, but going by specs the i3 needs cooling adequate for 65W too.

One thing to be aware of for mini buyers: the i3 has no boost clock. It’s one of the models where Intel turns turbo off. The 3.2 base clock is as fast as it gets.

It's a 3.6 base clock on the i3, and the 65w TDP is only for base clocks. The i3 will run at 3.6 GHz 24/7 at 65w, while the i7 is only rated to run at 3.2 (on two more cores) within that 65w limit. Boosting up to the 4.6 requires additional thermal overhead, which is why it's dependent on the cooling as to how they'll perform in single threaded tasks. (I would bet the i7 still outperforms, but it doesn't have to).

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Did anyone besides Marco get an i7 model? I'm quite curious about temps under sustained load.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Speaking of which, if I wanted to pick up a Mac capable of running System 9, what's the best model I could expect to get at a reasonable price?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The best possible Mac that runs Classic under OS X Tiger is a late 2005 Power Mac G5. You can pick a dual core model up for like $150-200 on eBay if you're lucky. Quad core models barely ever show up and fetch a premium.

It's a very different story if you want a Mac that boots into OS 9. You would be looking for a 2002 Power Mac G4 with mirrored drive doors. Make sure it's not a 2004 model with Firewire 800, which looks almost identical but will not boot into OS 9. I have absolutely no idea what the supply of these units are or the typical price.

I actually have a Power Mac G5, though I think I'd need to downgrade the OS. Though, since this is all purely for nostalgia, running OS9 natively would be neat. I remember OS9 being prone to crashing and taking the whole system with it, but I don't remember if Classic Mode had any notable downsides.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I've been wondering for a while if they've been having fabs produce old-rear end chips just for the trashcans or if they've just been sitting on stock (to whatever extent theyve actually be moving) for years.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Astro7x posted:

Here is a question....

What would people say the Mac Pro 2013 Trash Can is worth these days now that we know the new one is coming out? Especially when you consider a 2018 Mac Mini is $1,200 if you want to match the minimum 16GB of RAM and 256GB of SSD Storage.

Is it just stupid to even think about snagging one of those due to how hosed up it is?

As a curiosity piece or as a computer? You get an 8 or 12 core ivy bridge, two supercharged 280Xs and up to 64gb DDR3 and 1 tb storage. It's not going to hold up.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

Only nerds need a hard escape key. You’re not the target audience have you seen a real Mac user reach for escape I don’t think so :colbert:

It's true.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

FuturePastNow posted:

I was surprised no company ever made an eGPU enclosure that's sized and shaped to stack under a Mac Mini. Not enough market I guess

That would have to be a MXM module on the inside which would hurt the already niche appeal of an eGPU, I think.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Just make the aluminum on the top a bit thinner so it doesn't get any bigger and stick a GPU right in the shell. You can paste it right to the body to use as a heatsink.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Where and why are you buying $100+ earbuds that don't have replaceable cables?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I can't think of any earbuds with replaceable cables.

Eh, iems. Besides apple and crappy pack-ins can you even get earbuds proper anymore?

After tearing through enough crappy ones I wouldn't buy an audio device without replaceable cables again, which I guess counts me out on a device guaranteed to fail like airpods.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

They know their userbase.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Considering theres nothing in it that's basically just a motherboard shot.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A glass keyboard, but they're not like screens or anything, just glass keycaps.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

That's not that impressive of an assembly line. Are the main boards made in the US as well? The chassis? Or just the screwdriver assembly?

Look into your heart.

I don't even think there are machines in the US capable of making the boards.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

As best I can tell the primary use case for iMacs is as POS computers for fancy salons / other business looking to look upmarket.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

FCKGW posted:

Companies can also rotate review product around to multiple people as well. The Mac Pros that went to MKB last week can go to a CNET reporter next week or a NYT long-term review in a month.

This. Other points here have a point, but companies only make so many review samples and they ship them around to all the reviewers. They could make more, sure, but that would cost more for no real benefit.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Man, gently caress this thread.

Is a 2010 8-core 5,1 in "like new condition" with the bare essentials (5870, 12 gig RAM, 3TB platter drive) worth $500?

I figure I could upgrade it to 12 cores for like $150-200, pop a 580 in for ~$100, add RAM and NVMe, 4k displays are down to the $250 range.....

Edit: 2x x5690 kit=$200 on eBay, 580= $160, this is a silly silly idea. But also I've always wanted one of these mac pros, and it would probably pull decent double-duty as a bootcamp gaming rig with a 580 in it, but also Apple's just gonna abandon it in like a year........

That's some ancient hardware in that thing, Westmere is the same generation as the Core i7-970. It'll probably work for a simple desktop machine but I'd only go for it as a museum piece personally.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

If I wanted to replace the drive in my G5 do I need to be aware of anything or can I just toss a SATA drive in there?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/02/24/apple-will-soon-let-mac-pro-owners-install-their-own-chassis-wheels

Wowzers, Apple will soon sell the Mac Pro wheels as an aftermarket, user installable kit! For a price higher than getting tires for my old Crown Victoria.

Tires? You can buy actual car wheels for that price.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

So if we wind up getting ARM Macs how will that affect the state of gaming?

Will ARM Macs also get the GPU or will they do some kind of crap where the Mac gets an A14 but in order to keep the heat down they continue to rely (ha) on AMD Navi GPUs?

If they get the GPU then there's no excuse for not being able to code good 2D/3D games on the Mac.. or tvOS/iOS..

Hope you enjoy mobile games.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Computing on a TV is a pain in the rear end. I rehab'd an old machine to use for non-gaming things just because I got fed up with it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Like golden, or actual gold, like the short lived Apple Watch Edition?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I've got a Mac Pro G5 1.8DP that came from the education sector. I've been thinking about getting it set up as an ultimate Classic machine. I found install media for Tiger, but while I was at it I came across a website talking about Mac Pros from that time period being victims of the capacitor plague. Does anyone have any insight into what to look for or do to a Mac of that age to keep it running fine for the foreseeable future? I already pulled the battery when checking out the specs of it a while ago.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Just cover the outside in some cotton cloth, no one will ever know.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

FireWire but usb-c.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Intel's got shitballs of money and are literally selling every chip they can produce. They're not in a good spot, but they've got time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

It’s OSX 11 you dummies. And you pronounce it “Oh-Es-Ex”.

(man alive, never thought I’d see a MacOS 11)

System 10, buddy.