Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks for the answers guys. And one final question before I guess I make a decision.

At first I configured a 13 inch MacBook Pro Retina, one with a 2.8 GHz processor, a 512 GB hard drive and 16 GB RAM. It came to right at $2,000. Then I noticed that I could get a 15 inch MacBook Pro Retina for the same price, but with only a 256 GB drive and a 2.2 GHz cpu.

This means that the biggest difference between the two aside from the obvious display size are hard drive space and processor speed. Now hard drive space can be had cheap and externally, so that's really a minor concern and honestly 256 gigs seems like a good amount when you consider the possibility of cheap external storage. This leaves the processor speed to consider. The 13 inch has a 2.8 GHz processor and the 15 inch has a 2.2 GHz processor. The waters are further muddied when you consider that the slower 15 inch processor can actually be turbo boosted up to 3.4 GHz while the 13 inch only be turbo boosted up to 3.3 GHz.

So I guess my question is which computer is the better buy, assuming I don't necessarily need the ultra-portableness of the 13 inch display? Also, how much slower would the 15 inch's processor really be if it can turbo boost higher than the 13 inch?

What are you going to be using it for? That's the biggest question you need to answer. Are you going to be doing anything which will take advantage of the processor? Compiling large codebase (although memory is probably more important for that). A lot of post process work with photos? Video? Music? Then get the beefier processor.

I do a little of all of that (except for the compiling LARGE projects, I mostly do shell/python scripts), I got a 13" rMBP. For me the single most important issue was portability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wolffenstein posted:

A monitor with DisplayPort can be used as a second monitor for a Mac with Thunderbolt, correct?

Yes. The port supports both Thunderbolt and mini-Display Port connectors.

I use mini-Display Port to DVI myself. But I rarely use it, since the display (super cheap 21" LG) seems so grainy compared to the rMBP display. I usually only use it when I'm doing some testing and need multiple terminal windows open at once.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

smackfu posted:

Does anyone know why Mini DisplayPort never caught on outside of Macs? What was supposed to be the original benefit over hdmi or dvi? I haven't seen a single monitor that supports it other than Apple's.

While my cheap cheap monitors don't have mini-DP/DP, a video card I recently replaced on my gaming rig had a mini-DP and came with a mini-DP to DVI-I adapter. The Nvidia card I'm using today has full size DP.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Comatoast posted:

There is quite a bit of UI lag with the 13" retina, 8gb retina though. I'm not sure if bumping the ram would help.

I have a late '12 rMBP w/8GB and haven't noticed a lag. Is this only with the latest models or has this been an issue with all the 8GB 13" rMBPs?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nexxai posted:

I doubt that I'll end up with the dual graphics card configuration, as outside of the occasional needing to run Windows apps, I have no use for it. I don't game or do anything that the built-in Intel Iris card can't do, so I don't know if I'd be able to justify the addition of it, but thank you for letting me know.

Regarding the RDP app, I had heard this from someone else and I was rather skeptical. To hear it from an unbiased third party makes me very happy.
Fantastic. I'll keep my eye out over the next week or two and hopefully I'll get lucky. If nothing shows up, I'll just order a brand new one. Thanks for the info.

Well, this thread is not exactly unbiased as it's almost entirely Mac users and owners. However, for what's it worth I use RDP a lot. Both from home when I remote in and from my workstation in the office. The Mac client wins hands down.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Virtue posted:

I would really like to purchase a macbook pro retina for my next laptop but the majority of software I use doesn't have a mac version (excel, access, sas). How is the performance of windows on these machines?

Running Windows either via Bootcamp or in a VM will be fine. However, if you go the Bootcamp route note that Apple gave zero shits about power optimization in their Windows drivers. So the amazing battery life in OS X will be a fraction of that running Windows native.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Alec Eiffel posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my iMac's (24-inch, early 2009) RAM. Currently it "contains 2 memory slots, each of which accepts a 1067 MHz DDR3 memory module;" each memory slot has 2 GB of RAM in it.

Is it safe to upgrade to this? Is the difference between 1066 mhz and 1067 mhz crucial?

Crucial 8GB Kit (4GB x 2) DDR3 1066 MT/s (PC3-8500) CL7 SODIMM 204-Pin Mac Memory CT2K4G3S1067M
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-8...s=1067+MHz+DDR3

Did you use the Crucial tool on their website? It will list the memory they have certified to work in your model computer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fleshweasel posted:

Let's discuss whether it's socially acceptable to make someone pay for it when they "clean" your laptop without asking and they damage it.

We need at least 2 pages dedicated to this topic, clearly.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

univbee posted:

I have two identical-model Macs (old Macbook Pros with 10.6.8 on them) and actually need to transfer the data from one to the other (one is damaged but the hard drive is fine), can I just pop out the hard drive drive of one and slap it into the other without issue or are their activation worries? This doesn't have anything fancy like Adobe software or Microsoft Office or anything that would require activation except maybe iTunes, is that the only thing to worry about?

Is there a reason you can't boot the one you want to get the information off of into Target Disk Mode? Or am I misunderstanding an you want to save the damaged one and throw away the system on the "good" one?

If they are hardware identical, I don't *think* you'd have an issue. iTunes might need to be re-registered depending on how it generates the GUID.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dr. Wang posted:

Also, would you guys recommend updating to Yosemite right away or should I wait?

Do the upgrade

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hey, think of it this way: $1k and 5% is still a hell of a lot better than ~$3k. You might also inquire with your insurance agent about adding an electronics specific rider to your policy if you don't have one already. A lot of the times those will extend the coverage to damage, theft, etc. while outside the residence and knock the deductible down significantly. There is also frequently a maximum limit on electronics in a lot of plans and riders will often remove those caps. That can get important in the case of a catastrophic event like a fire where you lose laptop, media center, TV, phones, etc. all at once. Remember: it's not just the current value of your poo poo (aka what it's depreciated to) that you need to worry about, it's the replacement cost.

Those riders are usually pretty damned reasonable, too. I haven't looked at that part of our policy in years, but I think it adds something like $5 or $10 a month. I just remember having that conversation with my wife and our conclusion being "it's what a fast food meal costs, gently caress it let's get it."

I have both a general electronic rider (with a ridiculously high cap) *and* a portable electronics rider ($10,000 cap I think) for $100 more a year on my homeowners. It also has a lower deductible for the electronics in general and covers more types of incidents than the standard policy. For instance, my portable electronics rider also covers theft when I'm out and about. Years ago, I had a personal laptop taken from my office desk, and since work wasn't going to cover it even though it was a restricted area (and I TOTALLY knew who took it even if I could never prove it, that fucker). I had to go down to the police station, fill out a police report, give the number to my agent and three days later I was picking up a check for the full value minus $400 deductible.

Highly, highly recommend electronic riders on your home-owners/renters insurance.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PaganGoatPants posted:

Apple just replaced my Air's battery. Should I calibrate it or whatever? :ohdear:

Don't worry about it. Batteries haven't needed conditioning for several years now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

lelandjs posted:

I got a 128GB rMBP and it was a little cramped for space--until I moved TF2 and some other Steam games onto my Time Machine backup drive. Loading times weren't great though, I'm probably upgrade it to a USB 3.0 drive (I'm not sure the cost of a Thunderbolt drive is worth the additional speed). I'm also trying to figure out if moving my photos to an different external drive (and then backing THAT up routinely) is worth the hassle of, well, backing up that drive. Can Time Machine handle that? Will it get all pissy if I list an external drive as something to back up but then only have it plugged in while doing a backup maybe like twice a month?

Just make sure the external drive is HFS+ and removed from the exclusions list in the Time Machine prefs and it will happily back it up.

I use a 1TB partition on my external for time machine (Time Machine alternates between that and my Time Capsule APExtreme for backups. I then back all partitions on my external to my NAS RAID using SuperDuper periodically.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

So it's finally time to upgrade my wife's computer, and we will be switching her from Windows to Mac (everything else we do seems to be Apple now a days). She can get a school discount a dim looking at doing a refurb Mac Pro 13" with retina, 128 or 256 (I have a Time Capsule for storage), 8GB RAM and Apple Care. I won't need the i7.

Can someone clarify which year is Haswell vs non Haswell? She is not a power user, but the screen would be nice and I would just want the best battery life it can get.

Late 2013 models to the present.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BobHoward posted:

CPUs have extremely dynamic power demand -- lots of very narrow spikes well above the rated thermal design power, which is a long-term (1s window or more) characterization of average power use rather than instantaneous. As you probably know, in a DC power system this is dealt with by putting energy storage elements (bypass capacitors) close to the point of load, essentially filtering the narrow spikes so the PSU doesn't see them.

It happens that low internal resistance batteries (like most lithium chemistries) are good at filtering spikes too. Using the battery as part of the overall power filtering scheme saves weight and cost and possibly improves efficiency too -- and not just in the laptop itself, but in the AC-to-DC power brick, which doesn't have to be overengineered quite so much.

The downside is that without a battery, the system can't operate at close to its full power rating any more because those spikes will now droop the DC bus voltage enough to cause logic errors. In a well designed laptop with this kind of optimization, the system's power controller throttles the CPU back to keep power way below full so that spikes won't cause enough droop to crash software. Computer's slow, but at least it works. (e: and yes it's also true that some systems may have the ability to sustain more power draw than the brick can supply, but power filtering is the reason why even lower power laptops without big power hungry GPUs may do this)

You don't need an extremely healthy battery for this to work normally, even ones that are shot to the point of lasting only a half hour (or whatever) should still be fine. The trouble is that lots of not-healthy batteries stop being recognized by the system at all, and then the power controller will throttle.

Thank you very much for that. I knew that laptop sans battery could cause CPU throttling, but I never knew why. Your post managed to fill that gap of knowledge.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lord Windy posted:

And I feel like a twit for not realising that. I had the same complaint when I first got it.

Is filevault worth it, or would I be better off encrypting individual files with an app?

YMMV. Most people are scared of whole disk encryption for some reason and early on with FileVaultv1 there was reason. FileVaultv2 has been great in my experience and you don't even notice an impact on disk performance (esp. on SSD). I run it because my job requires it and have not had an issue at all for the last three releases including this one. Just make sure you store that master recovery key somewhere you can get your hands on it if the computer goes tits up. I have it on dropbox, box, and on the iCloud drive myself. Apple will also escrow the master key if you wish.

I would no longer trust TureCrypt as the devs seem to have up and disappeared and there's talk of the latest available versions being compromised. At least the last I heard about it, which was a couple months ago.

And gently caress PGP for whole disk encryption. It ate an entire drive back around 10.6 and I've never, ever trusted them again. PGP is great if you go the encrypt a file here and there and for encrypted email.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I have some questions regarding AirPorts.

The apartment I share has several recent 802.11ac-capable Macs. We currently use a previous-gen 802.11n AirPort Extreme as our router but were discussing getting one of the new tall ones in order to take advantage of the extra speed.

I'm personally interested in also picking up a refurb current-gen AirPort Express to make my stereo AirPlay compatible. Since this router would have to become part of our network, I'm wondering if its lower max speed would affect the new Extreme's performance as well. Would it force the faster base station into 802.11n mode only?

By extension, if I'm using my 802.11ac- capable rMBP in my bedroom where my stereo is, and the Extreme's on the other side of the apartment (I've never gotten anything but perfect signal there from the current one, though), would the computer give preference to the closer/slower access point? Would that change dependent on whether or not I'm AirPlaying to the stereo at the same time?

Also, I assume that people using older/slower devices on the network wouldn't affect a new computer's ability to use 802.11ac simultaneously, right?

I assume you're going to wirelessly bridge the Express. It won't affect the speed of the ac network, but anyone attaching to the older AP will only be able to attach at a/n or b/g/n depending on how it's set up. I think you can also make it so it only bridges the ethernet port, so it won't also act as an AP.

If you tell your MacBook to use ac, it will ignore the APs that don't use ac. Now, if you set it up to be able to use the n network as well, it will still preferentially use the ac. HOWEVER due to some RSSI algorithm and magic, the client may decide that the n AP is a better choice.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kode54 posted:

Right after I posted that and let the screen turn off for a moment, I powered it on again and it had shot up to 6.5 hours, which has since quickly dropped to 1h41m.

Get thee a god drat USB 3 drive for Time Machine. My jaw loving dropped at how fast it restored a full Time Machine backup when I bought my latest rMBP.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

Your question has been answered, but...

Woah, someone actually uses Finder's tags!? I never understood the purpose of colour-coding my file system, but hey, if it's useful to someone, that's cool.

It can be super useful to create different groups and apply multiple tags. Personally I've started doing that myself as an extension to how I organize my email, Onenote notebook for work, Devonthink for research, and task lists. It's so much more flexible than a hierarchical directory system for organization.

Tagging will be a thing that takes off once we get a ZFS-like implementation as a successor to HFS.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Crack posted:

If my macbook doesn't recognise the hard drive when it's connected inside, but i can boot using a sata -> usb cable it's definitely the hard drive cable that's broken right?

If you're booting the same drive, then it's either your internal SATA connector on the logic board or the cable. If it's one of those flat ribbon cables, those things are like paper and can tear if you give them a hard look.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kode54 posted:

Speaking of the tomb of aluminum, I have a Retina 5K with the M295X, and if Heaven is to be believed, it idles around 82C and climbs as high as 106 during the benchmark, which at the highest preset hits 28.2fps average. Which is higher than the 23something that D500 Mac Pro hit while it was in my possession. Better single GPU performance, but at great heat expenditure.

That seems really, really hot. If those readings are accurate, you may want to get Apple Support involved. I realize the system is pushing a lot of pixels, but that's not normal, right?

I only got that kind of heat from my gaming system when the CPU cooler failed. It cranked up to 100C and then pretty much throttled itself to being unusable until it cooled down.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pryor on Fire posted:

Last I checked the gross margins on Applecare sales were pushing 85% for Apple so you're probably going to lose money on that prop bet. That said if you are the one in a thousand or whatever whose computer explodes at 366 days it would be nice to have.

I think it's worth it if you're not going to cycle every or every other year. I've rarely had hardware issues, but when I have, they've usually been around the 2 year mark. In the past it was keys being non-responsive and superdrive issues. Lately, I've had no issues neither with the 2012 rMBP my girlfriend has or 2014 rMBP I got for myself to replace my 2010 MBP. But I got Apple Care for them both.

It's a gamble as to whether it's "worth it" from a service perspective, but when I'm spending $3000 on a system, the extra 10% or so brings a little piece of mind. For me, it's worth every penny.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

space marine todd posted:

So my surge protector was turned off last night by some furniture moving and when I turned it on, I heard a loud pop and the smell of electronics smoking. I looked at my Retina 13 charger and there were two burn marks on the cables. Will Apple replace this if I take it to a store or is this a I-gotta-buy-a-new-one-for-an-absurd-amount-of-movie type thing?

If it's in warranty, I don't see why they wouldn't replace it. What you are describing is not an unusual use case for where you plug in the charger. Plus, Apple tends to give users the benefit of the doubt most of the time. Especially for something as inexpensive as a power adapter.

Also, it sounds like the fuse blew, so I would probably look at getting a new surge protector as it obviously didn't do it's job.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I tried Parallels and found it really slow (and the amount of HD space it took up unwelcome), my scanning workflow typically involves spotting out dust/scratches and other fine tuning in PS while the flatbed cranks away, so it can be pretty resource intensive. I do have a beater netbook (busted keyboard, dead battery) with XP I could use as a dedicated scanning rig if I only had the workspace, could have it spit the scans out into a shared folder on the network where I could access them from the MBP...

Yeah, I think even brand new my MBP struggled to get more than ~5.5 hours of continuous internet use (at the time seemed like quite a lot!), the figures on newer models do seem a lot better.

Yeah, I have heard of some serious vintage computing to support legacy scanners, especially for the higher end stuff like drum scanners. This one is actually a pretty modern Epson flatbed, but it's the Japanese model and neither Epson Japan nor Epson USA's Mavericks updates would work with it, even after complete reformats. Spent hours Googling, when I asked Epson USA they just punted to Epson Japan, and Epson Japan doesn't provide non-Japanese support. If I'd known it would have been a problem I would have just sold the thing and bought a US model when I moved back here, as it was I spent like $120 seamailing it back.

Realized that since I'm almost definitely gonna be selling the scanner when I move (have been burning through a big backlog of scanning the last few months, but I think I've reached a stopping point with film for a while), so backwards compatibility shouldn't be an issue. Need to get more sleep.

Have you looked at VueScan? It's a butt ugly program, but it will work with almost ANYTHING. Dude is constantly spitting out updates, so I bought the "perpetual" license for $79 (I think) which guarantees lifetime updates.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Stux posted:

Oh drat I had no idea USB powered monitors existed thats pretty fantastic thanks. I'd still prefer to be able to use a tablet, but if not thats pretty much perfect.

edit: Will a monitor displaying over USB play nice and boot correctly on a mac mini?

They're pretty much only "good" for using a second (or third) monitor. And you don't care about display quality.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Stux posted:

Retina MBPs dont have firewire 800 ports, and the thunderbolt to firewire converters dont supply enough power for my soundcard. They're also sketchy on performance anecdotally for soundcards and i cant risk that. If im buying a new interface it'll be a thunderbolt one, but they arent to the point where i feel its worth making the jump.

I really dont care about quality for this no, 90%+ of my use is going to be at my desk or in my front room where i have either the two 24" panels or my TV. Sometimes when I'm particularly busy with a project i need to be able to use something at my gfs, and when we go on holiday as well for keeping up to date with what im working on and watching stuff in bed. Even then when in use quality isnt a huge issue, its music production, as long as it displays an image its going to be fine.

Again this is why ive been considering it, I had the MBP but was using it for the vast majority of the time as a desktop machine. Most of its portable use was stuff I could do and be more comfortable doing on a low end tablet. How bad exactly are we talking with quality? Just like old/cheap LCD screens or something so bad its untenable? Im still considering both options because the times when I would be using the screen, a laptop would definitely be better. But I dont know if its enough to justify one over a mini.

Well USB uses device polling as opposed to interrupts, so I wouldn't expect to watch high quality movies on it. I have one at work for a third monitor for only email and internal IM. I use Pluggable DisplayLink have been reasonably happy with it for what I need it for.

A mini can boot headless so you won't need to worry about that. You probably won't have a display until the OS finishes loading.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

yoyomama posted:

I'm using this exact case right now, and haven't had any issue with it so far. The only thing about hard cases is that they add a little weight and thickness; not really substantial at all, but something to keep in mind. I use mine to prevent dents and scratches; it's a strategy that's worked so far for all of my past laptops. That said, I can't compare it to using a skin since I've never used one.

Second this recommendation. I'm using the same one on my 15" rMBP. It's a really tight fit and barely adds any bulk. I haven't had any issue with overheating (which was a concern). I've run some pretty heavy loads on mine with no issue.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dexter6 posted:

I think my Time Capsule is having issues - are there any logs I can pull to try to diagnose it?

It's 3.5 years old, and I've started noticing that after it's been up an running for a few days, the internet gets real slow. Youtube videos stop loading, some websites don't load at all, etc.

I first tried power cycling my Verizon FiOS router, and that did nothing. However, power cycling the Time Capsule gets everything running real nice again.

Have I just reached the end of useful life for a Time Capsule?

I had the same issue and it drove me nuts. I have a 50Mbs connection and over time I'd be lucky to get 6Mbs until I rebooted the TC. May be a memory leak, but with no way of peeking under the hood I'm just shooting from the hip on that one. It served me well for over 3 years (and still is, at least from a network based Time Machine perspective)

I ended up getting the latest version of the AirPort Extreme, and the Time Capsule is in "extend a wireless network" mode and lives more or less as a file server still doing backups without a hitch (actually, I have a USB3 drive on my MBP and Time Machine alternates between that drive and the Time Capsule). Plus I get that sweet 802.11ac goodness now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BobHoward posted:

Did you plug in the mic? Just a hunch, Apple might have "helpfully" concealed the UI for switching the port to an input if nothing is plugged in.

Just verified. Unless a 'line in' device is actually plugged in, it won't show up the prefs.

As far as I can see, the single jack is still a combo jack (at least that's what system report is telling me). Both analog and S/PDIF optical. The analog line in may be mono only however, since that's probably used with a combo headset. For stereo, it looks like your only bet for line in is going to be either coming off an amp with a S/PDIF-to-miniS/PDIF or using a USB device that specifically offers stereo line in.

Of course this is without knowing the exact model you're running.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

If we're talking rMBP, the upmarket 15 has a discrete GPU, which is nice to have.

Plus the quad core is nice if you use VMs at all. And max memory as well.

I just bought the high-end 15" rMBP right before holiday break as a present to myself with 16MB and I love it. I also use it for work and it pretty much runs my home lab. It definitely fits my use case.

Speaking of VMs (and I know this really belongs in the OS X thread), does anyone know if I can convert a bootcamp install to a VMdsk. I'm always launching it in VMWare anyway and I'd like to make it a dynamic VM so I can claw back some disk space.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chimz posted:

You can, there's a few ways to do it - use vmware-vdiskmanager command line tool to copy the vmdk, or create a new VM and have it create a copy of the boot camp VM.

http://superuser.com/questions/280539/how-can-i-transform-my-boot-camp-partition-into-a-vmdk-file

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1015088

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

so I'm hoping to upgrade my mid-2010 mbp to an rMBP later this year. I do a little work in AutoCad and EAGLE, and sometimes I do small video edits, re-encoding, etc. I'm assuming the worrying about 2.5 vs 2.8 ghz is splitting hairs for me?

Pretty much. You're better off maxing out the memory.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

teagone posted:

Hmm, poo poo Apple's Thunderbolt display is a little out of my budget at the moment, haha. Was hoping I could maybe buy a U2414H, hook that up to my MacBook Air, and then daisy chain my current P2414H to the U2414H's displayport out port.

If it's display port 1.2 compliant, you can daisy chain 2 displays at 2560x1600. That's not taking into account your GPU, that's just the DP spec.

http://www.displayport.org/cables/driving-multiple-displays-from-a-single-displayport-output/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Selklubber posted:

Next iMac confirmed!

The CD-port looks like it breaks some natural laws though.
https://curved.de/news/curvedlabs-ein-facelift-fuer-den-macintosh-198570

quote:

...a Lightning port.

It has a what, now?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

teagone posted:

The disk slot instead has the mic/speakers, SD card slot, and facetime camera.

Huh, thanks for this!

[edit]

Oh noes, Intel HD4000 is DP 1.1, not 1.2 :(

[edit]

So I guess my only options now are hooking up a second monitor via USB, or get an Apple Thunderbolt display. :sigh:

A colleague uses a DisplayLink USB to VGA/HDMI/DVI. He uses it on a third monitor just for his email client and IM client at the office and seems fairly happy with it so far.

EDIT: I meant DisplayLink

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 16, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Legdiian posted:

I've been on the Internet longer than you and you are wrong.

Yeah, I've been on when USENET was still a big thing and the Internet was mostly accessible via .edu networks. People who typed like that were pretty much mocked and not taken seriously.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ramadu posted:

I'm a dummy and I have a dumb question. Why do macbooks use dual core processors? Why isn't everything using i5 or i7 quadcores?

Price and heat, I imagine.

I just googled a bunch of Wintel i5 laptops and looked up the specs for their processors and they're all dual core as well. So it's not like the MacBooks are bucking the trend.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 26, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pryor on Fire posted:

Can a mod just rename this thread to House of Mac Tech Support since that's all its been for months now? Not saying that's a bad thing, clearly we need such a thread, I'm just kind of tired of HOW I UPGRADE MY RAM AND FIX MY HD for months on end, it's giving me flashbacks to my computer janitor days.

So, you want just waking over hardware specs, teardowns, and pimp-my-mac pics? What exactly do you expect from a hardware thread?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kode54 posted:

I bought a fully loaded Retina 5K iMac, except with only 8GB of memory. It came with 2x Hynix HMT451S6AFR8A-PB 4GB memory sticks, both in neighboring slots. I installed my own Corsair Vengeance CMSX16GX3M2B1600C9, so cas 9, before the machine was even booted for the first time.

System info shows all four banks operating at 1333. Am I screwed because of the CAS 9? I accidentally bought CAS 9 because the upgrade info wasn't available yet, so I didn't know what latency to buy. Or is it because the banks are arranged incorrectly? It shows the two 4GB memory sticks in Bank 0/DIMM0 and Bank 1/DIMM0, and the two 8GB sticks in Bank 0/DIMM1 and Bank 1/DIMM1. Maybe that has something to do with it instead?

I haven't been too eager to buy another 16GB, either, because I'm not even fully utilizing this 24GB yet.

Maybe? what you are saying makes sense because the Hynix is cas 11 at 1666, but cas 9 at 1333. Whereas the Corsair is cas 9 across the board. So it's possible the system using the best frequency with matching latencies.

Endless Mike posted:

My 2011 MBA is telling me to service the battery. Anyone know how much replacement costs at the Apple store? IFixit is selling batteries for $110, and it's certainly easy enough to do, but if it's not going to cost much more to have Apple do it, I figure I may as well.

That's a savings of $19 over what Apple says it will charge for out of warranty replacements.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

arbybaconator posted:

I"m looking to purchase a low-end mac pro in the near future. I'm hearing that there is a good chance there may be a refresh soon. What's my safest bet at this point? Used on ebay w/ applecare? Refurbished? Wait?

Personally, I'd wait. The power performance gains and on-chip 4K support on Broadwell will probably make it worth purchasing brand new. If neither of those is important, I'd probably say go with refurb of the current model.

I KAN REED GUD.

Carry on, I'll just sit over here.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 6, 2015