Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
72-96 dpi has been the desktop standard since the mid-90s or so. before that the video card tended to be the limiting factor so there wasn't really much of a standard.

Portables have gone up in DPI, but only a little. Smaller screens have tended to have slightly higher DPI.

I think it's pretty clear the Apple intends increase the DPI drastically in the next couple years, even if the current displays aren't an increase and the "HiDPI" modes are pointless. My guess would be that they would make it an (expensive) option on the next major MBP refresh and bring it to the iMacs next and then slowly let it percolate through the line.

Adding resolution to LCDs is not nearly as costly as increasing their size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

madprocess posted:

Who is producing a 266 dpi 10 inch screen. Where can I buy it. How much does it cost.

If the answer to the last two is "well not at your local store" and "over $1000 for the screen alone" then it sure as poo poo ain't ready for the home market.

who was producing 360 DPI phone displays before the Iphone 4 came out?

I'm not exactly sure how they could add "High DPI" modes to the OS, tell developers to start working on resolution-independence, and you could come to any other conclusion than "They are planning displays with significantly higher DPI". Especially because they did the exact same thing with the iPhone.

And especially especially because they can say "your pictures, clearer than ever with the first Retina display on the desktop" or whatever the gently caress on the commercials, which is all Steve Jobs actually cares about.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Thunderbolt doesn't offer PCIe x16 though does it? I thought it was just x1. That would kind of limit the video card performance.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
If they didn't code their system to block the sales in the first place (which would be really easy to do) chances are they won't brave a big storm of bad PR to wind back what is probably a fairly limited number of sales.

Plus, they probably sold a fuckton of Kindles which is ... well actually I have no idea what their plan with Kindle is since they seem to lose money on the Kindle and lose money on the e-books too.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Can you use DVI instead of VGA?

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

flyboi posted:

I know it works on DVI cables because I use it on my 2009 Mini. I'm sure there's some reasoning behind VGA not having overscan controls because I think Windows has a similar problem. Been a loooong time since I tried using VGA but IIRC it was a PITA for me as well.
Usually the monitor does it. Some monitors are better/worse at sniffing out the size of the image and scaling it correctly. Some displays are better/worse at producing signals the display likes. VGA is really messy because it was designed for CRTs.

Does the monitor have any adjustments for size? You might be able to stretch the image out to fill.

Otherwise going to DVI will pretty much be guaranteed to fix the problem. And it will look better.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Is there any reason not to buy an 13" Air from Amazon? they're $1225 for some reason now, and no sales tax so it ends up being like $150 less than the store. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
It's not the amount of video ram that's the issue, but the higher-end one does have a much better video card overall (6750M vs 6490M). Not sure if it's $400 better, but it's basically a difference between "can play most recent games ok" and "can't play most recent games except with the settings turned way down". Then again you could buy like 3 consoles for $400.

anyway: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
The MBA is only $1225 on amazon, and the Microcenter MBP price is in-store only so you will be paying sales tax on it. So that makes the price difference more like $125-$175, depending on your state.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Mu Zeta posted:

You'll pay a restocking fee if nothing is wrong with it. I don't think they consider a slow SSD a defect.

I don't think the Apple Store has restocking fees for anything. It sure doesn't say they do on their policy.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

cheese eats mouse posted:

I upgraded to Lion and now I'm getting weird black "spots" when scrolling. They go away when a new page is loaded. Is it a sign my video card is on its last legs?

If it shows up in a screenshot, it's probably not the video card. More likely it's some weird firefox display bug.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
You'd think they could have at least included some sort of fallback mode, I don't really get why the iMac couldn't just detect that a DP signal was coming in and dealing with it.

I'm starting to feel more and more that thunderbolt isn't going to go anywhere. You can't really take their monitor selection seriously when they only have one $1000 option, and it looks like external peripherals are going to be extremely low-volume, high-cost deals.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
I have yet to run into RAM issues with 4gb, things on OSX really aren't that memory hungry it seems.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Tell her to stop using optical media. That stuff was obsolete before blu-ray even came out...
You can't exactly rent movies on a USB stick. There's streaming but it's not for everything. Or everyone.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Skyrim isn't particularly demanding; it's a multi-platform title and the consoles are 6 years old now.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

japtor posted:

For that price you might as well go for the Samsung 840 for a bit less (same price on Newegg), but I'm just paranoid about Sandforce based stuff even though they're probably fine now.
The 840 uses a new type of memory that is slower and less reliable; it's been getting really bad reviews. The 830 is ok but they're getting hard to find.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
"Our education system isn't good enough" is CEO-speak for "we don't want to train people and we don't want to pay the salaries that experienced people deserve."

That said I think there is a growing divorce between what engineers learn in school and what they need to know on the job, but at the same time I think employers need to step up with training; there's way too much that is going to be specific to a certain business.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

MancXVI posted:

That would cannibalize sales from the 13" rMBP.

I'm guess Apple will try to spread retina as widely as possible given the limitations of technology and their price point strategies. It might take them a year or so, but it's a huge advantage they have over Windows, where the high-DPI modes suck and will probably take years to catch up.

If they can make a retina MBA make sense I can't imagine they wouldn't go for it. That or the 13" rMBP and MBA will just ultimately converge.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

You can upgrade an Air's SSD? I never knew....is it more of an advanced procedure?

You can, but it's a non-standard form-factor and only OWC (as far as I know) sells upgrades and they're really expensive. It doesn't look too hard, but it does mean taking the bottom cover off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

hedgecore posted:

Can't find a conclusive answer through Google. Is a frayed power cord covered under Applecare? It's right near the end that plugs into the computer, and is from normal usage, not from an animal chewing it or anything.

They replaced mine. It was one of the stoplight style that came with a mid 2011 Air. I noticed that the replacement had much thicker rubber around where the cord enters the magsafe connector.