Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Krispy Kareem posted:

The iPad really is the future though.

if that's the case then the future loving sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

I miss my late 2012 mini. Easily one of the most underrated Macs in recent history I think.

I'm curious, are there any current dual-core macs with hyperthreading? I'd feel much better about buying something like the macbook escape if that were the case

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

lord funk posted:

Can anyone recommend a wired keyboard that's similar to the now-discontinued Apple Pro Keyboard?

I don't get it. Hey yeah let's make the keyboard for a desktop machine that will always be sitting in front of it require a battery and charging.

is there any reason you can't just leave it permanently plugged in?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Boiled Water posted:

without knowing i'm gonna guess the charging hole is on the bottom.

for the keyboards it's literally the exact same place a cord would normally come out of - there's just a lightning port there :/

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

bobfather posted:

For $650 you could build a Hackintosh with performance unrivaled by any real Mac in existence, until the $5-10k iMac Pro model comes out.

this is like, factually untrue, if you're saying that a $650 hackintosh would destroy any non-Mac Pro/iMac Pro computer. I love Windows and custom PCs more for serious work (better adobe performance), but it's pretty drat difficult to get a quad core intel chip, 8 GB of RAM, and a hybrid drive in a good case for 650. Cheap boards don't really have good I/O so if you like ports (currently the iMac has good IO and the Mac mini had good I/O in it's day (and still packs a punch if you dgaf about USB-C and TB3)) that's gonna be more cash than going on PCPP and sorting by lowest price for compatible boards.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Boiled Water posted:

It's also not a real option if you need it to work all the time for work.

It's especially not a good route for production stuff. I sunk a couple thousand in to my main workstation and it flies under windows but felt kinda sluggish when I was running El Capitan on it.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I think the only one people are really shelling out for nowadays is the 2012 i7 quad-core, which is a pretty good price vs performance deal in the Apple world.

I mean, sure, I could build a pretty beastly hackintosh for $650, but gently caress that noise.

As far as support goes, they normally drop things based on some baseline of hardware - Sierra dropped everything that didn't come standard with bluetooth, I believe. My guess is that the next separation line is going to be Metal support.

I even distinctly remember 10.4 not installing on any Mac without a firewire port, if you want to go that far back.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

woooo quadrupal post.

Currently furiously looking between the Air and Pro. The logical decision is the Air but I'm afraid of not owning a computer with any "new" I/O solutions - my main desktop has no thunderbolt or USB-C because X99.

The worst thing about Apple currently is that memes are real problems. I'd love a MacBook Pro with an SD card slot for example because one of the things I want to use an Apple laptop for is to import and touch up photos while I'm away :l

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

BobHoward posted:

The thing that's turned me off possibly buying a 2011 or 2012 mini is that these models are not going to be supported forever. The 2011 is at high risk of going out of support soon, since it's 6 going on 7 years old. The 2012 should last a bit more since they sold it through 2013 and much of 2014 with no changes, but I'm turned off by almost-new prices for something that's about halfway through its software support life cycle (assuming Apple supports computers for about 7 years on average, IDK what the actual number is).

High Sierra is still compatible with 2010 models so I'd figure we have a bit longer for 2011/2012.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Quantum of Phallus posted:

:raise:
What sort of logic is this, like... opposite logic?

SD card slot (that I will use - I really frequently import photos, don't like putzing with cables), better keyboard, different charging cable. Wouldn't have to gently caress with dongles. Wouldn't have to use a C to A adapter two seconds after I get the thing to use my Performance MX.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

bobfather posted:

I put this together in 5 minutes. The deal hunter in me tells me that you could put together this same build for $100 less if you can find parts on sale. The Deskmini barebones was $99 a few weeks ago, for example.

This setup would rival even the $3000 Mac Pro, until you exceeded workloads that use more than 8 threads.

Yeah but what's the I/O like

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It has PCIe, so....better?

not internal i/o, port connectivity

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You could probably get a secondhand or refurbished rMBP from 2015 that would smoke any air you buy.

I use my SD slot all the time too! Love my MBP, the screen is SOOOOOO much better than the Air

I will actually very strongly consider this, but I was already leaning toward a newer "Escape" model because I have want C/TB3. In reality that's probably what I'll do, it'll just suck dropping more money on adapters/docking stations/whatever

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

bobfather posted:

The i7 has better single core performance, with half as many threads as the e5.

So yeah, the i7 would be faster than the Mac Pro, until you tried to render some video in Final Cut, or something.

considering the fact that most of what people use powerful macs for is video editing or other multi-core operations I think that's very very important

we're pretty much out of the woods on single core stuff, as well, I think. performance boosts there aren't going to be as important in multi-core operations, and we've plateaued for casual use - a hyperthreaded dual core is gonna do just as good on a facebook machine

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

bobfather posted:

Fair. Just throwing it out there that there are other options than paying $350 for a Mac Mini from 2012.

a 2012 mac mini would probably be a better bargain to be honest - especially if it has an i7 for that money. it's not as if DDR4 is that big of a performance boost, and in regards to CPU performance, well

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

I'd question how expensive the power adapter and dongles are vs. the computer because I'm willing to bet that $100-$200 is worth not being out like $2000.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

eightysixed posted:

To all the people who were shaming me earlier for saying I had ordered a MacBook Air - Postin' dis from my new MacBook Air. :getin:

I actually like it, and it beats the hell out of dicking around with Hackintosh things.

I mean, say all you want about the MacBook Air, but it's the last laptop Apple makes left with good I/O, a real trackpad, and any not-horrible keyboard.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

The thing I don't get about portless computers is that I assume it's done because they think ports are ugly... but the sacrifice I'd make are a bunch of ports you only see when you're plugging stuff in vs. a bunch of stupidass dongles that you see all the time.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Krispy Kareem posted:

Looks are part of it. But Apple expands their number of ports as often as they subtract. MBA's have gained some ports over the years and I was so pissed that co-workers with 2015 MBP's had HDMI ports whereas my mid-2012 needed to dongle-up. Retina AND 2 Thunderbolt ports!?! Lucky...

Maybe Apple just finally got sick of backing niche I/O formats like Firewire and Thunderbolt and picked something everyone was guaranteed to eventually support. And to make sure of it, they got rid of all legacy formats that could slow adoption. Which appears to be working. There are so many USB-C docks and dongles now.

Docks and dongles aren't embracing adoption, though - they're the backfiring of that. If you get everyone used to having a dongle all the time, they're never going to think about it, and then you're gonna have everyone running around with USB-A devices 10 years from now.

Thunderbolt and FireWire weren't what people complained about. What people care about is USB-A, HDMI, and SD cards - none of those are going away anytime soon. The better idea is one where they gradually introduce USB-C and whenever they updatea product, add more USB-C/Tb3 and take away another port. Gentle migration and transition is the answer - not telling everyone to suck it up and throw $80 at a dock.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

flosofl posted:

Apple has a long history of doing this. They did the same thing when they unilaterally removed floppy drives from their systems. People were *pissed* when floppies went away and kept saying it would kill Apple and it was a stupid decision. Much like people are now with the USB ports.

The difference though is that very new and neccessary things use USB-A. In 1998, basically all new software coming out was on CD or had a CD version available. My MX Master that came out two years ago uses USB-A, and as far as I know, Logitech doesn't sell a USB-C unifying receiver.

It'd be different if we'd had to worry about newness or compatibility of USB devices almost ever - but since the mid to late 90s we've been able to plug any USB device in to any USB port and it's worked. In terms of Apple, 3.5 inch floppies were introduced in 1984 on the Mac 128, and then discontinued with the iMac in 1998 - 14 years. USB lasted from then until... Apple still makes most of their computers with USB-A ports.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i'd say it depends on the actual person themselves and what kind of work they do. if the max poo poo they ever do ever is office for college then i doubt they're gonna have an issue but if they're an editor or something they never know when they'll need to cut something together

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Pivo posted:

everyone in this thread will say yes 8gb is fine
everyone in this thread is stupid
16gb is minimal imo
you will think "ok i dont use much" but then you load one Adobe application, you have Dropbox running & syncing, you have Steam maybe and Spotify and yeah your remote desktop is fine but you probably have a VPN app running and maybe TweetDeck because why not and then Todoist and VLC and Notes and suddenly you're paging and WHY ARE WE PAGING HONESTLY DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I SPENT ON THIS LAPTOP and

yeah it's 2017 don't cheap out on RAM

why would a human being be running VLC and spotify at the same time

i mean that's kind of an abnormally high workload for casual use. i have steam, skype, and discord in the background right now, as well as a pretty burly chrome window and i'm only using like 5/6 gb of ram

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i like macos because it looks a lot nicer than windows and i'm a visual/design/art oriented person so i appreciate that. i also like how they put effort in to making the different "bins" you have to pull stuff out of a lot easier - i've been using windows for the vast majority of my life, using computers for longer than my memory goes back, and i can't actually think of a way to open applications in windows that isn't the search (which works fine, but is sometimes wonky), using the start menu/huge program list (straight out of 1995) or desktop shortcuts (i actually want to see the picture that's there, not 20 adobe icons). tiny little popup folders in the dock are much nicer and quicker, feels more like getting something out of a drawer connected to your desk, than going to a different room to get something which imo is what alot of windows stuff feels like.

also how have they not stolen finder tabs yet?? they're absolutely brilliant

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Weedle posted:

It still drives me insane on an almost daily basis that they eliminated the ability to access Control Panel widgets from Start Menu search. You used to be able to type, say, “Devices and Printers” to access the Devices and Printers window for when your printer installation has hosed up, again, and the Windows 10 Settings app doesn’t have the tools you need to fix it. Now, though, you have to open the Control Panel first instead of going straight to whatever widget you want—but since they also eliminated Control Panel from the menu that appears when right-clicking the Start button, and they removed the ability to jump straight to related Control Panel widgets from the Settings app, Start Menu search is now the only way to access the Control Panel, even though it can’t be use to access any components thereof.

the thing that drives me nuts the most - maybe it's entirely as a byproduct of spanning my stuff all across three disks - is that sometimes if i type a partial name of an application, i'll get the exe as the suggested item, but if i finish it out, i'll get the start menu folder for it. so like "after eff" will give me after effects, but "after effects" will give me the start menu folder for adobe after effects CC 2018

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Mu Zeta posted:

Get rid of Johnny Ive

ive was/is very talented but the biggest issue is that he was given a ton of power outside of what he was good at, and this even stretches back to under jobs, like when jon rubenstein - a tempered NeXT alum - left because ive would constantly ignore pretty much everything the engineering team said. but yeah, ive's team being given jurisdiction over software design is like one of the worst decisions apple management has made in almost 20 years now

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Krispy Wafer posted:

But Steve Jobs would have totally been down with the trashcan design. This was in the aftermath of Job’s death so I imagine Ive’s was still trying to push Steve’s vision. If the video card situation had been better or if they updated the CPU more than once a Presidential term then the design wouldn’t have been as big an issue.

Now it’s Tim’s Apple, so expect something that’s got a drat good supply chain at least.

he may have been okay with the idea, but the mac pro was steve's daily computer, actually. he probably wasn't rendering 3D models in maya or some poo poo but that'd at least mean he probably cared about it. reminder that the mac pro did have pretty often updates until he died, just not big ones.

i think JobsApple would've released the trashcan mac pro but it would've been a one off once it became clear, or they would've listened more to the engineering teams that were undoubtedly screaming "THIS WONT BE SUSTAINABLE" in the meetings for the trashcan pro which were actually muffled by the soft, slightly ominous classical piano tunes that play in ive's wall-less, all white office that only contains one (1) macbook pro which somehow hovers above his lap at all times

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

also i know i double post a lot but my god it was the dumbest poo poo in the world that they ever did the half sized arrow keys in between full sized arrow keys thing. it's the most tasteless design imaginable; it was stupid when acer started doing it on whatever $350 laptops in 2012 and it's REALLY stupid on $2000 laptops this year. i remember walking up to those keyboards when i was still a little baby and had no idea about the usability of anything and thinking it was stupid.

give me all half sized keys any day

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

EL BROMANCE posted:

The trash can should’ve essentially been a new top end Mac Mini, rather than a replacement Pro.

also a good sentiment. why is anyone letting ive near the mac pros instead of locking him in a room with a mac mini? it's the computer where all of the thin/light/tininess minimaluminiumism would actually be useful.

but i suppose if you sound like oceanin hal 9000 it's not really your thing to bring tiny, elegant computers to the masses is it

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

BobHoward posted:

I’m sure the cylinder pro started under Stebe or was at least partially inspired by him. The history of Jobs wanting to build compact, highly integrated, and quiet pro machines goes back way before the G4 Cube, because the G4 cube was pretty much NeXT Cube 3.0.

it definitely was but i think he would've recognized it as a misstep. even if he liked it, i imagine being a mac pro user was probably enough to keep him tuned in so in like 2015 when everyone started begging for cylinder mercy he would've known.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

they should also very much stop dicking us around and either lean back in to the i or expunge all is from the product line.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Pro would have been fine had it just had updates or cards that fit.

It wasn’t as good as the cheese graters, but it wasn’t a mistake either. The mistake was everything Apple did afterwards. That was compounded by them abandoning Mac Mini’s so that there was no good headless Mac option.

I’ve forgotten and rediscovered my 2011 Mac Mini 2 or 3 times and I’m continually amazed at how good a little computer it is. It’s going to be a sad day when Apple stops updating it.

mac minis used to be awesome as hell dude. i'm a little fuckin embryo still so the first computer that was ever bought for me and not my family was a late 2012 mac mini. loved that thing to death.

my mom took a hammer to it about two years later

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Godzilla07 posted:

From Anand’s review of the 2013 Mac Pro. And man, do I miss Anand.

NARRATOR: This did not happen.

And I’d love a Mac mini with Kaby-Lake G, but the Mac is on autopilot.

autopilot is a really good way to describe it.

at some point i kinda expect my boy schiller to get too old, retire, and then all mac models except the imac and MBP (probably renamed) get shitcanned

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

~Coxy posted:

It's insane to me that in the PowerPC era Macs were updated more frequently and regularly than are now.

why? macs were a way bigger part of their business then, and the chief operating executive who legitimately believed that computers were the best tool mankind ever created (don't really agree with him on that but i do think he earnestly believed it) ate poo poo. what capital motivation does The iPhone Company have to update and make macs better and better like when they were The Mac Company trying to win back trust and marketshare?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

someone should give casey liss a swirley

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

xzzy posted:

Maybe when the ipad can run literally anything.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

xzzy posted:

Well I was making a very witty reference to an earlier post that macs are good for nothing but making ios software.

i remember being like 11 or 12 and iOS was really up on the rise and it was stealing all the keynote attention from mac stuff and i started to hate iOS because i was like "computers have been doing this for forever and computers are great"

and i still feel that way but now i'm deeply callous and cynical to the entire industry and also the concept of capital

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Wulfolme posted:

so what did your mac mini do that made your mom murder it

i basically blew off all schoolwork fo about half of a school year and stayed up all night every night not eating

i have a 5820K/32GB ram hackintosh now though so it worked out alright

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

LionArcher posted:

I mean, in 6 years after I buy after whatever I buy this summer (MacBook Air or MacBook Pro) chances are I’ll move to a Thinkpad Carbon for a laptop. Some days I wish they would just make Mac OS open for any hardware to run it.

don't even do the license to other OEMs poo poo. imo apple should sell their own hardware and the software available to cistom builders or hackers but unlock the fancy unix extremely compatible business. that would probably shut every mac pro wanter the gently caress up, including myself

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

this is one of those very gleeful watching a company burn things

ive and cook are such loving dorks lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Tim Cuck