Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Wasn't sure whether to ask this in the hardware or software thread but I ordered a couple of Samsung external SSDs (T5) and just saw that they apparently don't work with OS Catalina? There's a lot of complaints and Samsung are directing people to updated software which doesn't seem to fix the issue, and from what I can gather it looks like there's no fix in sight. Should I return these when they arrive or is it just a Samsung software issue and the drives are still usable without it?

If they are useless with Catalina, does anyone have any recommendations? Was looking for 2TB and saw on the Apple store they sell LaCie drives, but reviews don't seem too pleased with them and user reviews have too many random bricking reports for me to feel comfortable paying the premium to use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Was hoping for some general info and advice on purchasing an iMac. I have a 27" that has worked excellently for about 6 years but it is starting to show its age a little now. I'm looking to replace it with the current iMac 27" (I know new ones are rumored sometime this year but would rather upgrade now, especially since I've heard they're changing processor type which will make Bootcamp gaming difficult/impossible?) and was seeking advice on hardware options as one of my biggest priorities and reasons that I like the iMac so much is that it runs completely silently.

I was going to get the most powerful one they have and customize it with a 2TB SSD and upgrade the graphics to Pro Vega 48 (for gaming in Bootcamp) but wondered about the CPU. I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that people recommended upgrading the CPU from the default i5 to the i9 because it's quieter? I don't intend to be running very demanding games on ultra settings, just current stuff at medium or so and at a decent framerate (I'm not fussed about 4k/5k either, I already drop game resolutions on my current iMac anyway). Is the i9 quieter? Does it run cooler and more efficiently or am I just misremembering whatever it is that I think I read? Is there much of a power jump from the i5? It seems like the i5 would be the better choice since although it has less cores their default clock speed is higher but I thought it best to ask here since I'm torn on what to go with and getting something powerful that lasts seems wise before Apple switches processors but I don't want something so powerful that I sacrifice how quiet it runs.

Also noticed the specs get close to the base model iMac Pro at this point which comes with a better GPU (I don't know the difference between the standard iMac CPUs and the Xeon in the Pro) and would just need the SSD upgrade? I think I read about iMac Pro having some issues however so I'm torn on the whole thing.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah I have an Xbox One X & PS4 for gaming and I wouldn't be planning on running latest releases. I'm not looking for an iMac that can run Red Dead Redemption 2 or Cyberpunk 2077 at 60fps 5K etc. because I know it's pointless. My current iMac has an ancient i5 from six years ago and a 780m GPU and I've been happy with it gaming-wise (I like a lot of indie games). Never had to mess with thermals or anything like that.

I've been looking more into the iMac Pro however and saw they redesigned the cooling system for that which looks pretty good and apparently for some reason current iMacs don't have the T2 chip despite the Pro having them? Kinda torn between a fully-upgraded iMac or going a bit further for the Pro which seems like the better choice?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

American McGay posted:

My bad advice would be to look on the refurb store for a 10-core/2TB iMac Pro but that's bad advice don't do that unless you want to spend a bunch of money but also be happy.

Yeah I looked and they only have one with a 1TB SSD :(

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Bob Morales posted:

No iMac Pro refresh rumor?

I looked on MacRumors and apparently the iMac Pro will have a refresh in the fourth quarter and feature mini-LEDs.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Daniel Bryan posted:

iMacs are good but lol imagine Apple caring about their desktop line in tyool 2020

This is the year Apple does a big revamp of their iMac line apparently. There's a lot of sources indicating a new 23" model (same size as 21" just with smaller bezel) and Apple ditching Intel processors and integrating their own ARM-based chips across the entire range so the whole Apple ecosystem is unified. The plan is that going forward developers will only need to create one app that works on iPhone/iPad/Mac because they all use the same hardware, and Apple's chips are more advanced than what Intel has to offer.

This is why I'm looking at getting the latest iMac before the refresh, since I use Bootcamp a lot and the current models seem to be the last ones using Intel chips.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I'm going off MacRumors reports about the new iMacs. It says they're moving them over to ARM-based CPUs this year with the goal of unifying everything. It doesn't talk about other Macs (e.g. MacBooks/Mini etc.) which is why I only mentioned the range of iMacs. The stated reasoning behind it however does indicate that other Macs will see the switch eventually as well, but Apple's starting with iMacs for 2020. From what I read even Intel themselves are preparing for a drop this year when Apple makes the announcement. Maybe they're all wrong, though? I dunno, but they seem to be reliable sources who've got a lot right before so :shrug:

If Coronavirus has had such an impact on development however then I doubt we'd see any new iMacs at all this year. It would seem crazy for Apple to waste resources on a refresh with the new Intel chip when they're close to a switchover they're focused on. They're not afraid of keeping people waiting for a refresh either, like the Mac Mini/Pro demonstrated. At the end of the day we could speculate forever, I just saw that they're planning to switch iMacs to ARM in 2020 and it doesn't seem far fetched to me personally. I'm sure we'll find out what's up over the next few months.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I saw a lot of people have been having issues with the latest 27" iMac with the most powerful graphics option (5700 XT) whereby they're getting random screen flickers and lines appearing, with no indication as to whether the issue is a hardware fault or might possibly be resolved by a software update. It seems that this doesn't happen with the other two options (the lower spec 5700 & 5500 XT) and was wondering if anyone knew more on the matter? Has the issue been fixed? Does it also happen on the lower spec graphics cards as well?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

American McGay posted:

The FedEx guy left my $3500 iMac with my neighbor who I've never said a word to before. Luckily he was an upstanding citizen.

Did you buy a 27" and upgrade it? Could you share what graphics option you went with and if you notice any screen flickering or lines randomly appearing/disappearing on the screen please? I know to avoid the 5700 XT but am trying to figure out which to spring for between the 5500 XT or standard 5700 (I'd prefer the latter personally but feel unsure since I was gonna go with maxing out storage and wonder if there might be heat problems).

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Quantum of Phallus posted:

And it's about to get even worse :getin:

I don't understand what's bad about this? Is it because it's Apple's proprietary hardware (and costs more than the other specific cables?) or something else?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

njsykora posted:

Yeah summary of the new iMac, same specs as the base M1 Air (8gb RAM, 256gb SSD) for $300 more but with a 4k display now.

I wish there were color options where the bezel around the screen matched the rest of the color of the device because it's always looked weird but specs-wise it's really disappointing. I guess that we won't know for sure until it's available to order (?) but I hoped they would have much higher RAM & SSD options. It doesn't seem unreasonable to expect 32GB RAM & 2TB SSD options but maybe they're saving that stuff for whenever they announce and release the replacement for the 27" iMac, which I'm guessing will be the new iMac Pro giving the naming convention they've adopted now?

I'm guessing Covid has been affecting manufacturing and such but I'm all-in whenever they announce the replacement for the 27" (hopefully with something more powerful than the base M1 chip) but I guess that won't be until the end of the year?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

mediaphage posted:

i dunno, the 27-inch imac has always had better specs without being an imac pro

Yeah, it's just that the iMac Pro seems to be redundant right now and I think Apple has stopped production? So much of their range outperforms it tremendously, but it is the nicest-looking iMac they've made. It seems that pulling the iMac Pro from sale might be getting ready for the new 27" (whenever they come) to adopt that branding since the 24" is now just "iMac" so keeping the same name for the 30" (or whatever size it ends up being) would be silly when they have the normal/pro naming convention across ranges such as iPad & MacBook.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

mediaphage posted:

it's not redundant so much as officially discontinued

there's no need for the imac pro to exist with dece imacs, mac pros, and the pro display xdr

I dunno, I think the M1X/M1Z/M1HAL3000 upgraded chip there's been rumors about for ages is likely being reserved for when the 27" iMac models make the jump to Apple silicon, and it makes sense for them to adopt the 'Pro' naming convention, imo.

I'm just dying for them to announce them already :negative:

mediaphage posted:

because it looks better with the bright colours

no doubt some will prefer black but it wouldn't look as smooth imo

I think it would look nice if it was fully consistent? E.g. a light blue that isn't just the back and chin, but also the same color for the bezel around the screen. It's the white that kinda throws things for me but at the end of the day it's just nitpicking, the new design does look fun and refreshing. I know there's a silver option but an all-white model would probably look really nice.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I'm glad I've held off on panic buying an Intel 27" before they're discontinued as well since apparently Parallels has been updated now and runs Windows 10 great and incredibly fast which has me confident that whenever the 27" is replaced it will be more than capable of meeting my needs, and Parallels seems so much better than Bootcamp with how quickly you can jump between OS's :stare: I didn't think they'd ever find a solution but Microsoft has been very quick with getting an ARM version of W10 in development and available to insiders which is awesome, and Parallels just looks magic. I watched a benchmark video and Windows 10 running on an M1 MacBook is faster than a Windows laptop by a significant margin, it's crazy.

Binary Badger posted:

Interesting that the low-end M1 iMac has no wired networking, it's WiFi only unless you want to waste one of the two available TB/USB4 ports on an Ethernet dongle.

I wonder if it can be upgraded like other iMacs allow to 10 Gigabit Ethernet or that's just another thing that they're saving for the 27" refresh?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Crunchy Black posted:

Even being the case and lol why wouldn’t it be since the mini can do it, gimme gimme gimme 16 cores and 32/64GB

It's that and the storage for me. I definitely think this is a base casual use design for people that don't really care and the replacement for the 27" will be when we see some great hardware specs that really elevate it above the current range. To be honest though, even for casual use 256GB storage seems low these days.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

mediaphage posted:

agree

personally i think it’s silly for the ipad pro to still start at 128

I was actually really surprised that the iPad Pro goes up to 2TB storage (I think?) because that is really impressive. That the new iMac doesn't even offer half of that seems odd but I think they're ensuring that there will be major differences between this and the new 27" and I imagine that informed the choice of hardware specs a lot.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

mediaphage posted:

yeah although $2700cad hoooooo boy

You think that's bad? It costs $3777cad here! That's just using Google currency converter, though. We pay 20% VAT :gonk:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

For now. Doesn't Canada have universal healthcare as well?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

TACD posted:

Wait are the new iMacs fanless?

The presentation showed two small fans located in the chin.

I know that they want to be as thin as possible since it's one of their design philosophies, but I did really like the speculative renders prior to the unveiling that looked like thicker iPads and had no chin. I think the iMac could be two or three times as thick and people wouldn't really care? Again, just nitpicking though.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Three Olives posted:

Honestly the only thing that surprises me about all of this is the didn't offer a display only version of the iMac as a secondary iMac display or a Mac Mini display, it feels like dual displays at home have become incredibly common among the work from home crowd and as we start to move back to the offices like there is an open market for a dual display situation from home that doesn't look like poo poo.

I'm surprised there's not a version of the iMac with an ultrawide display, I think that it would be really desirable to more than just professionals enjoying the vast increase in screen space.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Can someone help me out with SSD lifetime advice?

Wanna grab a Mac Studio. The M1 Ultra seems absurd and the base config comes with 64GB memory which seems perfect, the only question remaining is what size SSD to get?

With the M1 Ultra being so powerful and 64GB memory being so high (and I may even go for 128GB because I intend to use this for at least 10 years, which I think is reasonable given how long my iMac lasted before showing its age) all that's left to decide on is how large to have the internal storage. I know external storage is a lot cheaper but since SSDs have a set number of read/write until they finally die, and I don't think Apple replace them if they do (?) I was wondering how long I can expect the SSDs in there to last before the Mac Studio is unusable? Right now I'm thinking (and hoping) that 4TB would last more than long enough? I remember some articles about some M1 Macs where SSD health had dropped to 98/97% after a few months for a bunch of users which I'm assuming is some bug that got fixed in an update? It's been on my mind when thinking about this but then again if you average to 10% a year that's still a decade, assuming they were 1TB or 2TB drives, so presumably 4TB should be plenty?

Am I right in thinking that more memory will make the SSD last longer as well due to swap file usage?

Also, I heard more M2 hardware will roll out sometime next year but the M1 Ultra seems to be more than enough, have plenty of memory and storage options available and I live outside the US and would rather avoid the rumored price hikes when that new hardware drops.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thank you very much for the information FCKGW & The Lord Bude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Out of curiosity, how does Firefox compare? I ask because that's the browser I use and prefer (and if I had to swap, I'd only consider Safari) but over the past year it has become a memory hog and I think part of that is how I use it (and some extensions are putting in work) but it consumes more and more memory until there's simply none left. It's partly why I've been considering the memory upgrade on the Studio since I think 32GB is the expected standard today (?) and 64GB by default is great, but I can stretch to the 128GB upgrade and it's tempting, especially since DAWs with a lot of plugins chew through memory and it seems like browsers just keep needing more and more memory as time goes by.