Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Do Apple Stores keep some sort of log of Genius Bar visits? Basically, would I be called out on telling two different stories to two different stores about the same problem?

If there's no evidence of liquid damage, I don't really want to be charged for liquid damage.

I'm sure they keep track, but even if you are called out what's the worst that can happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
I'm starting to get a bit of streaking on my iMac. It's strange because it mostly seems like condensation that is leaving dust marks. The streaks fade 99% when the computer is under load, but if I wake from sleep it looks like the LCD is really blotchy on the right side of the monitor where there doesn't seem to be really anything hot.

My question: what's the right protocol for dealing with this? I've read all sorts of things online but there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on people fixing this problem by taking off the glass. Should I get some of those dehumidifier crystals, take off the screen and clean it, or take it to the Apple store? Does it cost money if I take it to the Apple store? I'm currently covered by Applecare.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

I'm not sure if what you're describing is the same as the problem I had with my iMac, but I had a problem with dust getting sucked into my iMac when the fans kicked up under load. I started getting black/grey spots under the glass and it drove me berserk. I took it in and they fixed it under Applecare (coincidentally they eventually replaced it because the graphic card fried itself a few times).
Hm, well it's good to know they fixed the dust issue. I'm pretty sure its condensation as it only really shows up when my iMac goes from hot to cold really fast. The annoying part is that even though most of it disappears it leaves some small marks behind.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

Do you have a humidifier or something? I live in a goddamned swamp (DC) and haven't seen condensation.
No humidifier, but it's been hot and I live right next to a large body of water.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

lord funk posted:

:phone: Hello, I just wanted to inform you I'm getting water condensa-
:phoneb: [laughing] *click*
A fair amount of people seem to be having similar issues and some are even calling it a "manufacturer defect" while getting stuff replaced under applecare. I'll fully admit that my apartment just sucks and that I should keep my windows closed more often. Some people have even said that they have shower-door levels of condensation. Mine is just like someone breathed on the screen.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
I'm going to be moving across the country shortly, and was wondering if anyone had any tips regarding my mac hardware. I have a 13" 2009 Macbook Pro and a 2010 27" iMac. I've been loving my iMac save for minor dust issues, but don't really know if i should move it. I need decent graphics processing -- would the upper range MBP 15" with a 27" thunderbolt display have comparable performance?

In my past experience, large external displays really kill the video performance of MBPs.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Hmmm yeah that's probably the best option, I don't know why I didn't think about just doing that. That way I can also replace my MBP with an air and finally jump on the iMac SSD bandwagon once I get there.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
I can't put CDs in my iMac superdrive anymore. There is nothing in there and it feels like I'm hitting strong resistance. I can't insert the cd more than halfway. I've tried ejecting/unmounting a million different ways. Has anyone had a problem like this? Disk utility says there is no media inside.

I looked it up on Apple and the only post that related was where someone said it fixed itself.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Bob Morales posted:

Apple's optical drives are junk.
Agh, oh well. The thing needs to go in to Apple anyways for screen blemishes. Not that big of a deal I guess. Sours me a little on getting another iMac.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Does it matter AppleCare-wise if I install an Optibay myself or have an authorized apple person do it? My understanding is that it's a gray area either way and if I need servicing that I'd need to put the superdrive back in.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Choadmaster posted:

TL/DR: In my experience, they won't do poo poo for you unless they can consistently reproduce the problem. Sorry for the long rant, but I've been to the store and/or called AppleCare close to a dozen times in the past couple months and they were NEVER any help until I could come up with a set of steps that would reproduce the problem 100% of the time in their specific testing conditions.
My experience was the exact opposite. I was getting intermittent KPs on a G4 MDD and two authorized apple repair places just gave it back to me without being able to repeat the issue. Took it to the Apple store and they ended up replacing pretty much everything inside (~$2k on the invoice). It was free of course, and part of me doubts that they even replicated the issue as I was pretty pissy about my undagnosable problems at that point.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

step aside posted:

Is the dust problem on the imacs as common as it seems (because I've heard quite a bit about it) or is that a matter of people having problems being the loudest?

I recently had this problem. My iMac developed dust spots over about 6 months. By the time I took it to the apple store they were really, really bad. I think the main problem was that I lived in an apartment that really required to have the windows open a lot. I ended up selling it because I moved (after apple fixed it for free) and don't think I'll be getting a new one.

I also lifted up the glass just to make sure and the dust was actually inside the LCD panel.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
If I want to start using my old 2009 MBP as an HTPC, I understand that the Mini-DP doesn't carry audio which means that I'll have to have another cable going from the MBP's audio jack to my TV. Will I have to worry about audio/video syncing issues? I see that there are some Kanex adapters that combine audio and video into one HDMI cable, but they have absolutely terrible reviews.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I didn't even know there was an Adobe Reader for OS X. I can't think of any reason to have it installed.
One day someone is going to send you a pdf that requires some horrible esoteric feature and you will have no choice.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Is Apple still replacing swollen batteries for laptops out of Applecare for free? The trackpad on my 2009 MBP that I mostly use as a HTPC is bulging like crazy, and I'm assuming it's the battery.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

gmq posted:

Sometimes when I'm watching Netflix on my Macbook Air in clam shell mode it starts dropping frames like crazy after a while. Any ideas why? Is there a way to know if it's because it's too hot and it's limiting the processor? Am I at risk of damaging it?
It's possibly that HD is kicking in and causing your machine to choke. Disable it.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Bob Morales posted:

It's fairly common to get dirt behind the glass. Pop it off and have at it with a lint-free cloth.

It's also common for the dirt to be inside the panel, a much more complicated problem than just wiping dirt away with a cloth.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Something that I don't understand is that the 13" MBA seems to already deliver on the 12 hour battery life. What happens when you put Mavericks on it with all of its aggressive battery stuff?

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Toebone posted:

I noticed the battery in my 4 year old unibody MacBook is starting to swell. I'm obviously out of warranty, but I seem to remember something about Apple replacing swelling batteries for free due to a tendency to catch fire. Was this real, or am I just making stuff up? I suppose either way I've got a trip to the Apple Store coming up.

For what it's worth, my battery swelled so bad that my trackpad was popping out and inoperable on my 2009 mbp. Genius said it was very dangerous and charged me $100 to get a new battery.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

wdarkk posted:

Why the gently caress would you advertise the new Mac Pro before movies?

No seriously why would you do that. There's no way they can sell it for a price a normal person would buy it for unless they're planning to sell them at a massive loss.
The same reason you would advertise a car or tourism to a country or whatever.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

BobHoward posted:

Nah. The internal bays cost very little as all the SATA ports came for "free" in Intel's Xeon support chipsets. Apple's cost per bay was a bit of bent-up sheetmetal for the tray, four screws, and the backplane connector and cabling. Not free, but also not expensive. Every pair of Thunderbolt ports on the new machine requires a relatively expensive Thunderbolt controller IC, plus they may need a DisplayPort crossbar switch chip to route video from the GPUs to TB controllers in a flexible way. This is definitely not a cost cutter for Apple.
Honestly, at this point I would be willing to bet that part of the cost is the margin per volume frighted. A Mac Pro with lots of empty drive bays/empty space doesn't make any sense when you're shipping crates of iPhones and iPads. Now the Mac Pro is basically a tiny solid unit of pure computation just like their other devices.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
I think my old AirPort Express is failing though I'm not entirely sure.

I've been having trouble with google handouts and youtube. Doing speed tests it seems that the bandwidth will flip between well under a mbit to 2 mbit from just a few feet away. Plugged in I get something like 20. I just moved to an area with tons of wifi networks and have switched to a channel that nobody is using. I'm also broadcasting n/g. Do Airports fail like this? Is it time to get an extreme?

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
There should be some kind of evidence in your console that your mbp is crashing all the time. The last time I was getting kernel panics that I could not replicate in the store, the logs in addition my frustration was enough to basically replace every component inside of my computer at some absurd price that was waived due to applecare. (This was after taking it in 2 times already with no results)

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
The Verge and Engadget have posted their Mac Pro reviews.

Seems like a fast machine without software that can fully take advantage of it which is kind of par for the course when it comes to new generation Apple stuff.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Binary Badger posted:

http://sixcolors.com/post/2014/10/apple-event-set-for-oct-16/

So, the Apple //gs is coming back, eh?

(or new Mac Mini)
This post ventures into the territory of ~mac rumors~ but I would not be surprised at all if the "iPad Pro" and the rumored 12" fanless laptop are the same thing. There have also been rumors of OS X on ARM forever as well. It would fit in with Apple's current moves into markets they previous ignored, like Chrome Books and Microsoft Surfaces.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Binary Badger posted:

Now, if you were still a tinkerer you could buy certain brands of nearly-current technology Radeon R9 280X/280 cards for around $229 or less which would kick the asses of both previously mentioned cards, and you could flash its EEPROM to provide full EFI support (ability to option-boot to other drives); you'd have to be running Mavericks or later for this card to be fully supported though. For more info on that you should go to the MacRumors Mac Pro forums..
I just did this with a 2010 Mac Pro and a GTX 760. It doesn't show the grey boot screen but works perfect after that. The main thing that you have to be concerned about is power consumption/power adapters.

edit: It was this one. I got it simply because I read on MacRumors that it came with the appropriate 2x6 to 1x8pin power adaptor and worked out of the box.

passionate dongs fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 26, 2014

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Agreed on ram, in my experience Apple computers have always been the most picky about it for as long as I can remember. Same thing happened with me and a Mac Pro, even memory that seems to work right on PCs can cause KP/restarts/generally undiagnosable strangeness.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
All I have to say is: yay. 4 days ago my 2011 MBP displayed all the colors of the rainbow before it stopped being able to display anything other than a grey screen. Wasn't very happy that I'd be buying a new laptop so late in the cycle, but I can hold off a bit longer now!

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
How long after a refresh do things appear in the physical store? Like a week or two?

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Really curious to see how the new Macbook plays out. I'm still burned by the first generation Air which was incredibly hamstrung by its heat throttling. The drat thing couldn't make it through 30s of youtube without throttling down to a fraction of the speed. I still feel like I cheated the guy I sold it to.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
There are 5 lines of Apple notebooks available right now. More so than there ever has been. There are Apple notebooks with ethernet, superdrives, usb ports, display ports, and now the new USB port. What is the problem? I'm sure powerpoint will run on one of them.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Jony Ive will not rest until he removes every single port in all Apple computers.

passionate dongs fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 10, 2015

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Hadlock posted:

If you like to power arduino projects while using wired a mouse and possibly one other USB dongle, or < insert "power user use case" here >, you're going to need a different type of laptop. I was looking really hard at the Macbook, especially with that screen, but I think more about my use cases with my existing laptop, I'm probably in the market for something like a 1080p screen XPS 13 or X250 :(
So the only difference between this use case on the Macbook and a laptop with 2 USB ports is the fact that you need to buy an 80$ dongle and a USB hub. When it's time to go you just unplug one port and go. Unless you're taking your Arduino and mouse with you, then you unplug 3 ports. If this is a huge deal, then I suppose the XPS 13 is for you.

If you need to give a presentation, you need to carry the 80$ dongle (possibly another, HDMI->VGA/DVI). If carrying two dongles is a deal breaker for you, then I suppose you need a different laptop.

There are other Apple laptops that weigh a fraction of a lb more to slightly more that have the ports you need.

AFAIK, all other Core M notebooks have micro-HDMI anyways, which you definitely still need a dongle for to give your professional presentations with.

passionate dongs fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 10, 2015

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
It seems that Apple, renowned for its fickle support of peripherals for decades, has once again proven to be a disappointment.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

ShoogaSlim posted:

For those of you who have tried the new trackpad - has a force touch replaced a two-finger click?
No, they are separate actions and it won't let you assign force click to secondary click.

You can however assign three-finger tap to do the "look up and data detectors" action that force click does.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Moving between something that can be force clicked and something that can't be is super weird. It's like there is a force field in your track pad, which I guess is the point.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Ziploc posted:

Can I still assign two finger clicks to the bottom right of the touchpad?

Yeah.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Considering:
- the lightning connector was introduced for size, reversibility, and power features
- the EU made Apple release a lightning to USB adaptor
- USB type-C is basically a lightning connector (and potentially developed by Apple anyways)
- the new Macbook is basically an appliance similarly to iPhones and iPads
- Apple has no problem getting rid of adaptors

I'd be very surprised if iPads and iPhones didn't have the USB type-C connector in future models. Maybe not this year, but definitely by the time all their computers adopt USB type-C.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Nah. USB-C is like twice the thickness of a lightning port.
huh. didn't know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
The third-party applications that let you have more control over scaling on Retina displays are mostly poo poo because they do not do the scaling up/resizing down to fix blurriness. It's a huge difference. I thought I'd hate scaled retina but I find myself using it most of the time.

passionate dongs fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 19, 2015