Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

After getting my iPad, my MBP didn't leave its spot on my desk once. Replaced it with a new mini, selling the MBP.
I've actually been considering an iPad + Mini combo, with the Mini doing HTPC duties, light gaming, and whatever the iPad can't do. My only concern is that I do a lot of long-form writing, and I'm a little wary of how that would work out with that setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

The late 2010 11-inch MBA is $699 on the refurb store, and I'm thinking of grabbing one.

I'll be using this almost entirely for writing, with a bit of very light photo editing - mostly just resizing and cropping stuff to accompany articles. I don't care about the lack of a backlit keyboard.

In my case, does it seem like there would be a big enough difference in the processing power to warrant the more expensive, newer Core i5 model? I'd imagine that my relatively small applications would launch quickly thanks to the SSD, but I don't know how much a processor would play into that.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Great, thank you guys. Seems like an ideal laptop for my needs at a really good price.

Now comes the post-order period where I try not to think about the wait while re-reading reviews and zooming in on product pictures. That's always fun!

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Last week I asked some questions before buying a refurbished 11-inch MacBook Air, and now that I've had it for a few days I'm really impressed. It does everything I want without any noticeable load times or slowdowns.

When I had a 13-inch MacBook I kept it on my desk and only moved it when I was sure I was going to use it elsewhere. The difference in weight and size isn't vast, but the MBA is so small that I set it down next to my bed or the couch for easy access without thinking.

There is an adjustment period since everything looks a bit tinier. Going back and forth between this and my gaming HTPC is absolutely weird, but I'm getting used to it and haven't had any headaches or anything.

Really happy with this purchase. Thanks again for the last-minute help.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

My mother was about to toss out her 2007 iMac, so I'm going to try salvaging it with a new SSD. Preparing to remove the glass with suction cups feels like planning the most low-stakes heist of all time. Weirdly excited about this.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I planned to pick up a laptop next month, but that Air deal at Best Buy was too good to pass up. This is exactly what I needed.

It's going to be connected to an external monitor 90% of the time, and when it is on the road its sole use will be boring text stuff, so the non-IPS screen doesn't bother me at all. A great keyboard and battery life were my main concerns. It helps that I haven't owned a laptop since the white plastic MacBook (which I adored), so even if the MBA's design is dated it feels new to me.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I recently bought an Asus ProArt that seems to meet your criteria ($200, 24 inches, works with my 2017 MacBook Air) and love it. It has extremely accurate colors and happens to be 16:10 so it matches the MBA, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I would be fully into the new iMac design if the color on the face and stand was solid like the back, rather than pale. They almost had a bold look but pulled back.